IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

Shazam! - 3.9/5

Very pleasantly surprised. Was slightly distracted by how much Asher Angel looks like Arya Stark, but everyone was likeable, it was quite funny, and it was a DC film that didn’t stink.

The Dead Zone (1983)

5/5

Lost count of the amount of times I’ve watched this gem.

An understated Christopher Walken in the role he was born to play. Brooke Adams, Martin Sheen, Herbert Lom, Tom Skerritt... Jesus, what a cast! Directed by Cronenberg to boot!!

Brilliant and tragic all in one

On 30/08/2019 at 15:50, Professor Rob said:

Dead Man's Shoes (got it from a charity shop for 50p after watching clips in the "Most Bad Ass scenes" thread). 5/5.

On 30/08/2019 at 15:50, Professor Rob said:

Dead Man's Shoes (got it from a charity shop for 50p after watching clips in the "Most Bad Ass scenes" thread). 5/5.

On 30/08/2019 at 16:25, ZOK said:

That’s some sweet action for fifty pence.

22 hours ago, Chosty said:

Dead Man's Shoes is one of those films that, whenever it's on, I think, 'Oh, I'll just watch it up to that bit, then I'll go to bed.' Then: 'Oh maybe I'll watch to that other bit.' And so on and so on, awesome scene followed by awesome scene, until you've done the whole film and you're left a bit numb.

The scene where the three gang members are doing the washing up while discussing recycling and the merits of empty Pot Noodles doubling up as mugs is hilarious. It's such an incongruous bit of banal domesticity given what's gone on a few moments ago, and what's about to come.

In a tiny minority here it seems. But that was pants. A generous 2/5.

Bought it from cex based on these quoted posts expecting big things. Was ok in fits and starts, but ultimately shit. Was like it was written by a fourteen year old boy and made by him and his mates. That guy is a decent enough actor but just isn't at all believable as a hard cunt. 

1 hour ago, Raoull duke said:

In a tiny minority here it seems. But that was pants. A generous 2/5.

Bought it from cex based on these quoted posts expecting big things. Was ok in fits and starts, but ultimately shit. Was like it was written by a fourteen year old boy and made by him and his mates. That guy is a decent enough actor but just isn't at all believable as a hard cunt. 

Out of interest, have you seen any of Shane Meadows other films? He has a very particular style, modern kitchen sink dramas if you like. His hard cunts are the everyday type that will sit next to you on a bus or be in the queue behind you in a newsagents.

1 minute ago, glb said:

Out of interest, have you seen any of Shane Meadows other films? He has a very particular style, modern kitchen sink dramas if you like. His hard cunts are the everyday type that will sit next to you on a bus or be in the queue behind you in a newsagents.

I liked this is England the film, and loved the TV versions. That his only things that I've seen. 

Sound. Was going to recommend This Is England. The Virtues (another mini-series) is available on Channel 4, also starring Stephen Graham.

TwentyFourSeven is grand too, great performance from the late Bob Hoskins. He does like a lo-fi, quiet approach. Shame you didn’t get on with Dead Man’s Shoes, but he’s a pretty interesting director, particularly as a cheerleader for Britain’s indie filmmaking scene.

9 hours ago, Gord said:

Fighting with my family - it was ok. Enjoyed the Norwich based stuff but know that the WWE story was as fake as one of their storylines so im not sure what the point was. 2/5

That was my main issue with it. I know her story, what actually happened with her debut and none of it involved The Rock. Her debut was changed too and not for the better either. 

How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World - 4/5. Neither of the sequels are quite as good as the first, but this comes pretty close. The flying sequences are just spectacular and the dragon designs are great. 

Batman Begins.  Despite the excesses of recent super hero movies and the portrayal of insane super powers (Captain Marvel anyone?), this movie still holds up.

It's got the Tumbler, a decent Commissioner Gordon, Fox, ninjas and a really corking Batman.

4/5

Gremlins - 5/5 

My youngest wanted to watch something scary, and I think this walks the line just perfectly, for someone her age.

Still a wonderfully funny movie. And Mrs Deagle could be up there with Clarence Boddicker as best villain of the 80s :D

How old is she? I keep toying with the idea of showing it to my ten year old but haven't got around to it (or Flight of the Navigator, Daryl, Big, Short Circuit or The Goonies. I'm a dreadful father).

My last movie was Deadwood: The Movie - 5/5.

It's more Deadwood, so how could it get any other score?