rllmuk
Raoull duke

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Star Wars RoS - it somewhere between a 3.5 - 4/5 for me, need to see it again but the back end was non stop nostalgia fuelled action and I loved it...

Jumangi TNL - expected it would be shit, was really good fun - 3.5/5

Jojo Rabbit - trailer in star wars the first and only thing I had heard or seen about this, saw it last night and loved it - dark humour and emotions that hit you like a train combined with some great acting make this the easier 5/5 ever!

Hunt for the Wilderpeople - got told to watch it as I liked Jojo, no idea wtf it was but really enjoyed x solid 4/5 for me

• Upvote 1

Le Maitres Du Temps (Time Masters), 1982, d.Rene Laloux - 4 stars out of 5

I've seen this before, but not for a few years. The characters aren't particularly well developed, some sections drag on a bit and some of the animation is a bit rough in places. And yet despite several issues, this film is utterly captivating. I love the early '80s synth music during the intro. I love the fact that when we first meet the prince, he is listening to some smooth jazz whilst smoking a cigarette on deck. I love the ship designs and the way they slowly glide across the screen. I love the sound design and the atmosphere it helps create. I love the design of Silbad's house surrounded by water. I love the little ambient swimming in interlude. I love Yula and Jad, the little robot dudes. They're brilliantly animated - very expressive. I love the darker moments, such as the blob and the cave. But most of all I love the music at the end. 

I've already watched all of Laloux's other work. The closest thing to this for me, is Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. Anybody care to recommend anything else similar? Maybe even some Moebius related stuff? I started reading The Incal but I couldn't get into it. 

The Lighthouse (2020)

Wow, what an absolute tour-de-force this film is. Amazing performances, direction, cinamtophraphy, lighting and sound. Everything is so on point, its perfect film making and should have been nominated in all the awards, especially Dafoe. The shots of the storm, the lightning and the rolling waves are just phenomenal. The film is absolutly bonkers, but in a good way and succeeds where so many other films fail. These days I find some films try to be clever by being weird (I'm looking at you In Fabric) and just fail, but not this. I intend to read up on it, see what other peoples thoughts and feelings are about the plot, but for now...wow.

5/5

• Upvote 1

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Loved it. Great turns by Pitt and Leo. A meandering pace just adds to the slow build of tension.

4/5

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Making you feel uncomfortable and depressed is kind of the point I think. Which for a summer tentpole is pretty brave. 

I don't want to derail the thread with Joker talk but, thinking about it, I don't think it made me uncomfortable per se and it certainly didn't make me depressed. I really didn't care about Arthur / Joker, so I didn't really feel anything. There was just no arc for him - things started shit, they continued shit and they ended shit, which was just a bit boring and I really couldn't care less. I found I just wanted the film to end, to the point where I wouldn't have been bothered if I had have turned it off half way through.

I've seen depressing and disturbing films and enjoyed them (if enjoy is the right word for something depressing and disturbing), but I just didn't enjoy this. At all.

• Upvote 1

Troy - takes absolute liberties with the Iliad, but then who wants a film that covers     10 years of the Trojan wars? It gets most of the major bits of what is mostly a story based on 400 years of oral tradition before homer wrote it down. 

heavy hitting cast right there. You totally understand why a pretty boy like brad Pitt gets cast as Achilles. Bana’s Hector vs Bloom’s Paris totally sell that brother thing. Even Tyler mane makes up for his “acting” in the men series in this as Ajax, no lines, just presence. Was Agamemnon really that much of a cunt? He seemed alright in Time Bandits...

i don’t think they showed the directors cut last night.

i dunno, though. I likes it 4/5

i blame videogames.

Spoiler

Better than 300/5

• Upvote 1

Perfect gammon fodder. Cinema was full of the cunts. One old boy stood up and saluted the credits. Gave me such a dirty look for laughing at him. Heard another two old boys discussing it as they were leaving, "we beat them in the first world war, and we beat them in the second world war and we're gonna beat them again."

Was well made I suppose. The score was super fucking annoying though. Not bad just constantly about 40% louder than it should have been. 

3 stiff upper lips out of 5. 

• Upvote 1

Dragged across concrete 2/5* boring, unpleasant, terrible script.

*40%

2 hours ago, And said:

Dragged across concrete 2/5 boring, unpleasant, terrible script.

I came here to post that exact score :D never really got started and seemed to just trundle along with no clear character progression or hook. Pretty dull

Jay & Silent Bob Reboot 2.5/5

Loved the first few Kevin Smith films and I think he's a brilliant stand up, but this just shows why he's having to self finance. Lots of throwbacks to his original films but if you're watching this for anything other than nostalgia it'll be a let down. Still laughed plenty, but that's probably down to familiarity with the source material. 

Ford vs Ferrari 4/5

Moves along at a good pace throughout and despite knowing the ending held my attention throughout. Bale and Damon are well cast and Bale plays the dickhead persona very well (probably close to real life for him!)

Jojo Rabbit 5/5

It was great. Those critics who gave it one star need their bloody heads examined.

I've been sick since New Years Eve and I'm only starting to feel remotely human today. Up to now even watching a 20 minute US TV episode on Netflix was beyond my concentration but I decided to get back into films today and my first film of the decade is....

The Devils

This is one of these films I've read so much about but somehow I never got round to watching it. I listened to a podcast recently where Mark Kermode raved about it so I put it to the top of the list. Set in 17th Century France, Oliver Reed is a priest who falls foul of the French establishment and Church. Which leads the state to set out to destroy him. 

This was utterly incredible. It reminded me a lot of Amadeus in the scale of the design of the sets and the costumes. And the craft of everyone involved. Oliver Reed puts in such a great performance but the rest of the cast are fantastic. The set design, done by Derek Jarmen, is spectacular. It looks like nothing I've seen on screen before - modern but ancient at the same time. Every interior seems to tower over and out of the screen. Look at this or this

I wasn't sure what to expect from this but I was totally blown away. It's the first film I've watched in a good while that reminded me how powerful films can be. It's a cliche for sure they don't make films like this any more and I can't imagine something like this being made again.

5/5

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Silent Runner said:

I've been sick since New Years Eve and I'm only starting to feel remotely human today. Up to now even watching a 20 minute US TV episode on Netflix was beyond my concentration but I decided to get back into films today and my first film of the decade is....

The Devils

This is one of these films I've read so much about but somehow I never got round to watching it. I listened to a podcast recently where Mark Kermode raved about it so I put it to the top of the list. Set in 17th Century France, Oliver Reed is a priest who falls foul of the French establishment and Church. Which leads the state to set out to destroy him. 

This was utterly incredible. It reminded me a lot of Amadeus in the scale of the design of the sets and the costumes. And the craft of everyone involved. Oliver Reed puts in such a great performance but the rest of the cast are fantastic. The set design, done by Derek Jarmen, is spectacular. It looks like nothing I've seen on screen before - modern but ancient at the same time. Every interior seems to tower over and out of the screen. Look at this or this

I wasn't sure what to expect from this but I was totally blown away. It's the first film I've watched in a good while that reminded me how powerful films can be. It's a cliche for sure they don't make films like this any more and I can't imagine something like this being made again.

5/5

This is a desert island movie for me. I never get sick of it. If you liked this check out Lisa and the Devil. Its not as grandiose or exuberant, but it has a similar ethereal atmosphere.

• Upvote 1

Jo up Rabbit: was entertaining enough but at the same time it kind of rubbed me up the wrong way but I'm not too sure why. Seemed kind of smug in places. All the way through it was going from a 3/5 to a 4/5 so I'm going to have to get splinters in my arse with a 3.5 Skulls out of 5.

*Edit* Been thinking about this film all night and think that I was letting a few niggles get to me too much so revising this to a 4 Skulls out of 5 rating. 

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

3/5

Visually breathtaking, but mostly as a result of a kitchen-sink approach of throwing absolutely everything at the screen and hoping something sticks. Rihanna's brief (ish) cameo was great and she out-acted both of the leads so much it hurt the rest of the film. I doubt we'll be getting a sequel but I'd still watch it, and it's inspired me to pick up the recently reprinted English translations of the original comics so that there was that.

The Day Shall Come (2019)
Dir Chris Morris

Fascinating premise based on mountains of research turns into damp squib of a movie due to horrendous direction.

All of the material was there, but it is so poorly structured it all falls flat. None fo the devices hit their marks or fulfil their potential, be it the characters, the plot devices, the pace, or the humanity, because the Director doesn't understand the language of cinema. So many elements fall flat due to not being set up correctly.

Its still worth a viewing through sheer energy and chutzpah, but its way too nuanced and subtle to be a movie.

2.5/5

• Upvote 1

Transformers Dark of the Moon

Despite being a good 15 minutes too long and despite it still having too much shouting I thought this was an excellent blockbuster movie with a fantastic climatic action sequence. Of course, it still has some of the slightly disturbing Bayisms but they are dialled way back compared to the second movie. Nimoy is excellent and, as usual, Bumblebee steals the show.

4/5

• Empathy 3

The Lighthouse 

As Lovecraftian a film as I’ve seen - a true descent into madness with stunning visuals. Shocked this didn’t get more Oscar nominations. 

5/5

• Upvote 2

The Russian Five - 3/5

Ice hockey doc about the Detroit Red Wings’ use of Russian players in the late 80s / 1990s. Would have liked a bit more detail about certain things, but guess the makers assumed most watching will already have such knowledge. Even so, it ticks along at a pleasant rate and the talking heads bring a lot of character to the surprisingly emotional story. Niche but enjoyable.

Super Size Me 2: Holy Chicken! - 2/5

Morgan Spurlock is back! And fast food is still tasty but questionable! Entertaining but kind of smug in places. And not sure opening a fast food restaurant to show how bad fast food restaurants are is as clever as he thinks it is.

Shazaam

DC superhero movie that's reasonably light hearted and a bit more small time. Gets a lot of kudos for not being so po faced but for me it lacked in substance and I kinda got bored 2/3 of the way through.2.5/5

Not as OTT as aquaman where Karl Drogo  carries it with his enthusiasm despite it largely being utter bobbins. 3/5.

The Day Shall Come was such a mess. It felt like there a good film there trying to get out but the focus kept moving. The interesting parts for me where with the Black liberation group, The Star of The Six??. But the focus kept shifting to the boring ass cops. 

I wonder if Chris Morris will get to make another feature?

Terminator Dark Fate 2/5.

What on earth was JC thinking, putting his name to this shite.

..Amazing de-ageing tech on display in the first five mins though.

• Upvote 2

Terminator Dark Fate 3/5

An entertaining mess. For every fresh idea that it brings to the table, it ruins it by having something shit follow it up a few mins later. A pleasant enough way to spend a couple of hrs with a bottle of wine but it's far from being a worthy sequel to T2. As MpM says though, those first 4mins are great.

I loved what they did with the Arnie character - I know there was a lot of backlash over it but I really enjoyed the premise behind it. Realistic? Probably not but neither is robots from the future either. Linda Hamilton was fine, was good to see her back on screen and clearly having fun. The plot? Eh, it's a Terminator film. It's by the numbers.

I hated the weightless feeling to it all. Terminators shouldn't be jumping about like the X-Men and some of the CGI - opening exlcuded - was very ropy. But I can't say I hated it.

"....and I'm very funny." had me in stitches.

• Upvote 1

Instant Family.

I love Rose Byrne. She's :wub:

Wife chose this to watch this evening and my acting was superb when I protested that it didn't look like my cup of tea.

It was rather nice. I called the plot beats all the way through but it passed the six laugh test, tugged on my heartstrings a couple of times and, goodness me, Marky-Mark was pretty good.

3 1/2 / 5

The incredible Hulk

the Norton one that is part of the MCU, because it has a cameo at the end.

something something something, cgi bad guy end fight.

4/5

• Upvote 1

Animal Factory

Saw this on Prime and thought it looked shite. But it was directed by Steve Buscemi so I watched it anyway. Turns out it was shite. 

1/5 

No redeemable qualities whatsoever.

3 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

This is not a serious question

Well, I'm a big fan of the original trilogy. I even have a couple of different cuts of Dawn. 

I also really like the '04 remake of Dawn. And Night '90.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Well, I'm a big fan of the original trilogy. I even have a couple of different cuts of Dawn. 

I also really like the '04 remake of Dawn. And Night '90.

When I was 14 I ran away from home and hitchhiked to Amsterdam because there was a shop near the station that had the Japanese laserdisc of the 140 min cut. Which I went to buy. (This was 1988)

I came back with the laserdisc to find out my mum had been in the local news reporting that her son was missing. I didnt have a laserdisc player.

• Upvote 1