rllmuk
Raoull duke

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

30 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

When I was 14 I ran away from home and hitchhiked to Amsterdam because there was a shop near the station that had the Japanese laserdisc of the 140 min cut. Which I went to buy. (This was 1988)

I came back with the laserdisc to find out my mum had been in the local news reporting that her son was missing. I didnt have a laserdisc player.

I have a rip of the "uncut" laserdisc, which I think is probably that version. Someone I know imported it r on Holland in the early 90s

18 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Also, I've never seen land of the Dead because its the 4th in the best trilogy of all time. 

Its alright. At best. I maintain that Night 90 and Dawn 04 are good films on their own, though. The less said about Day 08, the better.

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

I have a rip of the "uncut" laserdisc, which I think is probably that version. Someone I know imported it r on Holland in the early 90s

Its alright. At best. I maintain that Night 90 and Dawn 04 are good films on their own, though. The less said about Day 08, the better.

The original 1985 day of the dead is one of the best films Ive ever seen.

Collateral Beauty

One of the oddest films I have ever seen, and certainly the oddest with such an impressive cast (as well as Will Smith we have Norton, Pena, Winslet, Knightley, Mirren and Naomie Harris).

Although I didn't hate the film it was super disturbing that these 3 people would come up with such a plan to make their other partner sell the business. It also falls apart at the end with a right daft twist.

2/5

9 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Also, I've never seen land of the Dead because its the 4th in the best trilogy of all time. 

You must be incredibly curious about it though? Do you think you’ll ever be tempted to give it a watch?

Terminator Dark Fate

The 3rd best Terminator movie but considering how low a bar that is it’s hardly a glowing review. 
 Some good ideas and lots of really stupid ones - 2.5/5

Zombieland Double Tap

Is it as good as the first - no, did it make me laugh out loud for most of the running time - yes. Entertaining silliness.

3.5/5

1 hour ago, Mystacon said:

You must be incredibly curious about it though? Do you think you’ll ever be tempted to give it a watch?

Kerraig said in another thread the other day that he won't even watch season 5 of The Wire, despite liking seasons 1-4, because season 4 was a solid conclusion and he imagines that anything else would be a superfluous addition.

His comments about not being at all interested in watching Land of the Dead sound like they're coming from a similar place!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Kerraig said in another thread the other day that he won't even watch season 5 of The Wire, despite liking seasons 1-4, because season 4 was a solid conclusion and he imagines that anything else would be a superfluous addition.

His comments about not being at all interested in watching Land of the Dead sound like they're coming from a similar place!

He pretty much nailed season 5 of the Wire there tbh, other than 

Spoiler

Omars deaths, which was done brilliantly

12 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

This is not a serious question

Well it is, sort of, if we imagine he wants to know which cut you were watching.

So which cut of the 78 film did you watch?

the theatrical cut - also knows as the the original proper director's cut? Probably the best and Romero said it was his preferred cut. 127 minutes I believe. It contains the Gblin soundtrack and library music

The 139 minute european cut (also incorrectly called the director's cut but was in fact a first cut by Romero) - that is the one you had your adventure for - Also known as the Cannes cut. I used to sell copies of it on ebay in the early 2000s as the dutch dvd was only 9 quid and you could sell it for 20 on ebay. It is pretty flabby and  isn't as cohesive as the theatrical cut - lots more library music on this one too!

The Argento cut - This is a lovely curio which got onto an Anchor Bay release. 118 minutes and basically the way the film was funded with help from Argento meant he got to cut the film for the italian market. It is lean mean version, all humour removed and the Goblin soundtrack pushed to the max all the way through (causing alot of repetition)

Those are the main ones and then we get to the real oddities - lots of odd european versions with short runtimes with all the violence left in and dialogue removed. There is one version I want to get which used to be allegedly only in German which was a 155 ish minute cut (the numbers cvary with retelling) that contains footage from all versions to make a "super version" - it would be a mess but fascinating to see.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

literally every Romero film is worth watching, even (especially) the bad ones... they all have something to say even if they sometimes get utterly befuddled in how they say it.

Romero and Kubrick are my favourite two directors - one is almost the perfect auteur and turns film into a moving oil painting at times. The other appears workmanlike but his skill is in shooting,splicing and editing very little money into classic cinema. Romero takes ideas and just makes them work within whatever framework and budget he is given, tossing out stuff to make it all fit.

Look at his plans for Day vs the actual film when the funding fell well short of his script. Day of the Dead may well be his best zombie film but he happily admits it was a compromised shortcut compared to the film he wanted to make. Also The Crazies is a better version of that theme anyway :D

The 2nd trilogy suffers because he was never going to achieve the heights of Night,dawn and Day. But he did what he always did which is ignore the fact he can't do it and just does it.. the end results aren't the best but I am glad they exist. Oh and Land is about as close as you can get to Romero's original ideas/script for Day of the Dead.

Romero was a massive lost to the film industry and the sad part is they don;t even realise.

• Upvote 2

Green Book - 3/5

A fine movie, well made with some fun bits in it but ultimately felt lacking. For some reason I never really bought the characters, partly because they veered off into caricature at times and partly because there wasn’t much pathos in the script for the actors to work with. Tony is set up as a bit of a racist who uses his job to indulge in gratuitous violence... which then doesn’t figure in his character again for the rest of the movie, and actually he’s got a heart of gold right from the beginning, so nothing really needs to happen to him in the movie, so nothing does. Then at the end they turn the shmaltz dial up to 11.

It all felt a bit flat and artificial. Like, they’re driving around the Deep South, getting into scrapes with all the racists - drunk hicks, police, plantation guy - and none of it felt shocking or visceral or dangerous. Maybe I missed the point but I’m not sure what it was trying to say. 

The Irishman

Long film which if I'm honest was fairly boring. Great actors, great atmosphere but no tension. That running time is a shocker - smacks of someone up their own arse edging out QT as least disciplined in movie edits.   Should have been a mini-series.  Plus, de-aging was passable but their body mechanics were not!

2/5

6 Underground

I can see why some may have enjoyed this in the guise of a throwaway trashy action film. But the plot bounced around all over the place, the action sequences had more (camera) chops than in than my local butchers and Ryan Reynolds essentially played Deadpool out of his costume.  It is frustrating as I am sure he has more to give than just a wise cracking good looking guy Hollywood cutout. 

1/5

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Clipper said:

literally every Romero film is worth watching, even (especially) the bad ones... they all have something to say even if they sometimes get utterly befuddled in how they say it.

Romero and Kubrick are my favourite two directors - one is almost the perfect auteur and turns film into a moving oil painting at times. The other appears workmanlike but his skill is in shooting,splicing and editing very little money into classic cinema. Romero takes ideas and just makes them work within whatever framework and budget he is given, tossing out stuff to make it all fit.

Look at his plans for Day vs the actual film when the funding fell well short of his script. Day of the Dead may well be his best zombie film but he happily admits it was a compromised shortcut compared to the film he wanted to make. Also The Crazies is a better version of that theme anyway :D

The 2nd trilogy suffers because he was never going to achieve the heights of Night,dawn and Day. But he did what he always did which is ignore the fact he can't do it and just does it.. the end results aren't the best but I am glad they exist. Oh and Land is about as close as you can get to Romero's original ideas/script for Day of the Dead.

Romero was a massive lost to the film industry and the sad part is they don;t even realise.

Amazing post and I agree with every word. I always watch the 127 min cut. 

1 minute ago, kerraig UK said:

Amazing post and I agree with every word. I always watch the 127 min cut. 

Theatrical is his vision and easily the best version.

I do enjoy watching the others just for the fun of it to see different aspects of the same work - it is a luxury though if I just want to watch the film I stick to the theatrical cut. Romero is unusual in that as a strong visionary director he didn't worry too much about people seeing his creative vision form - other directors would stop other versions existing (see Kubrick and the original Theatrical US Shining release). He seems to just accept it and his director's commentaries are superb where he chews the fat with Savini et al about how stuff came together.

I am such a Romero fanboy I will even forgive him "The Facts in the Case of Mr. Valdemar" from the double bill Two Evil Eyes... People who whinge about the 2nd "Dead" trilogy haven't lived til they've seen that :D

Justice League 3/5

it's not a bad film. Better than Batman vs. Superman, so...

1 hour ago, Clipper said:

Theatrical is his vision and easily the best version.

I do enjoy watching the others just for the fun of it to see different aspects of the same work - it is a luxury though if I just want to watch the film I stick to the theatrical cut. Romero is unusual in that as a strong visionary director he didn't worry too much about people seeing his creative vision form - other directors would stop other versions existing (see Kubrick and the original Theatrical US Shining release). He seems to just accept it and his director's commentaries are superb where he chews the fat with Savini et al about how stuff came together.

I am such a Romero fanboy I will even forgive him "The Facts in the Case of Mr. Valdemar" from the double bill Two Evil Eyes... People who whinge about the 2nd "Dead" trilogy haven't lived til they've seen that :D

Mate, I love that. I love monkey shines. I've watched Knightriders 30 times. I love romero

8 hours ago, SeanR said:

Justice League 3/5

it's not a bad film. Better than Batman vs. Superman, so...

A home movie of me shitting into a bucket would be better than BvS.

• Upvote 1

Uncut Gems - 3/5

A lot I really liked about it (the sound, Sandler for starters) but also found it hard to love overall. A good film with a great central performance.

Tommorowland

I recall not liking this at all at the cinema. I think it's because the trailer totally mis sold the film. This only reinforces my total dislike of modern movie trailers. Most of them try to reinvent the film.  I now try and avoid them at all costs. Does anyone actually like the damn things?

Going back to the film, it's actually a first rate family film and the best blockbuster I've seen since the new Star Wars. Yet more proof that Lindlelof is actually a genius with a cracking story and a great script. The performances are uniformally excellent as well. Only the effects work and score let the side down a bit

4.5/5

On 16/01/2020 at 10:05, kerraig UK said:

Land of the Dead is a sequel to the Toy Story trilogy?!

• Upvote 2

Ford Vs Ferrari. 

Racing car movie. Fantastic racing footage. Decent movie too. Very enjoyable. 

4/5. 

Not sure what it's doing in the Oscars (USA, USA!) but fun none the less. 

• Upvote 1

Breakdown.

A good pulp thriller with Kurt Russell’s wife getting kidnapped by truckers. Ninety minutes, no fuss story telling. Co-starring the late, much missed J.T. Walsh. Man, nobody does an icy stare like he does. One of the best bad guy actors ever.

4 out of 5

bad boys for life!

4/5

its great, good action movie, with some humour.

apparently had a lower budget that bad boys 2!? you wouldn't know it!

• Upvote 2

One cut of the dead.
4.5/5.

Brilliant in so many ways. Loved it. 

• Upvote 2

Knives Out 3/5

..not as clever as I thought it was going to be, for some reason, don't know why, I was expecting it to be more along the lines of Sleuth/Clue.

I Lost My Body - 4/5

A mesmerising French animation with an intriguing premise and intertwining themes. Best to go in blind (figuratively speaking)

Dolemite is My Name - 4/5

A fantastically fun feel good movie with Eddie Murphy on top form. Intensely likeable.

Videodrome - 4/5

Shocking. Crazy. Amazing.

Shadow - 3.5/5

Zhang Yimou directs an entirely safe but gorgeous entry into his wuxia pantheon.

Downsizing - 3/5

An intriguing premise let down by some jarring tonal and narrative shifts, and a questionable script, but ultimately worth seeing for many of the individual elements that don't quite gel.

I watched a lot of films recently...

The Gentlemen - 2/5

Equally entertaining and annoying. I’d have like to have seen more of the film for which Hugh Grant turned up. As with Paddington 2, albeit that’s actually a good film, he steals the show.

I am mother - 3/5

Glados X skynet grows some babies.

It's pretty good but you've got to just go with it really because it's got loads of unanswered (and probably unanswerable) questions. I'm not quite sure if it's meant to be more aimed at the YA market than old gits like me that have absorbed loads of sci- fi.

Ex machina is a more interesting modern sci fi imho. Worth a watch though and some nice future tech/ aesthetics. 

I also got the impression it got re- edited from the original plan as there are certain bits that I thought didn't make much sense in regards to the pace. That is to say something happens that just stops to show another needed scene but it didn't feel like it was meant to be where it was. 

Aladdin (2019)

Miles better than I thought it was going to be. Leads were all likeable enough. Looked nice. The tunes are well delivered for the most part, though Ritchie’s direction was flaccid. Biggest waste was the non-entity they cast as Jafar. Especially as they had a criminally underused Navid Negahban sat right next to him doing fuck all as the Sultan, who (as Legion fans will appreciate) would chew the scenery up good and proper as the evil Vizier.

A slightly charitable (as I love Will Smith) 3/5.