rllmuk
Raoull duke

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Rambo: Last Blood

A nice brief running time at 90 minutes. The last twenty or so minutes is insane carnage. But the plot is a bit by the numbers, at one point feeling overly mean. Taken meets Sicario meets Home Alone. But not as good as any of those films.

3 out of 5

The French Lieutenants Woman

An excellent adaptation of John Fowles sublime novel. The film within a film device really works well and the two leads are excellent (Irons was right at the start of his career here and is already extremely accomplished). It's not for those who don't like a Victorian setting, but otherwise this is most definately worth tracking down

4/5

• Upvote 2

Amazing Grace.

The audio recording is superlative.  The rough, handheld footage allows us to intrude on moments of beauty as the audience and the choir are taken from moments of openly weeping at the unshielded beauty of Aretha's voice, to moments of spontaneous exultation propelled by the same instrument.

And then Franklin really opens those pipes.  At moments even her conductor and piano player, James Cleavland, is brought to tears incapable of playing.  Awestuck.  Destroyed.  Only seconds later to rally his choir who are close to rapture to bring them back to harmonies.

It's beautiful.  So beautiful.

5/5 openly weeping middled aged men out of 5.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bucky said:

Amazing Grace.

The audio recording is superlative.  The rough, handheld footage allows us to intrude on moments of beauty as the audience and the choir are taken from moments of openly weeping at the unshielded beauty of Aretha's voice, to moments of spontaneous exultation propelled by the same instrument.

And then Franklin opens those pipes.  At moments even her conductor and piano player, James Cleavland is brought to tears incapable of playing.  Only seconds later to rally his choir who are close to rapture.

It's beautiful.

5/5 openly weeping middled aged men out of 5.

Now that is a review that will make me week out a film I've never heard of 

Sweet Bean (2015) 5/5

I took out a months subscription to the BFI player as I wanted to watch Bait again, and noticed this was on there. It’s a film I’d heard lots about, with people often comparing it to Kore-eda’s films, so I thought I’d give it a go, especially as it stars the amazing Kirin Kiki. So glad I did. A truly beautiful film. A film that gently hooks you in, then twists at your heart.

Overlord

JJ produced WWII horror schlock.

Not my usual cup of tea as I'm.not a horror fan but I found this boring and unscary.

2 severed limbs / 5

Bombshell - 3/5

A solid drama, with three very good performances from Robbie, Kidman and Theron, that doesn't quite delve deep enough into a really grotesque scandal.

There is though one awful, skin-crawling scene, brilliantly acted by Robbie and Lithgow*, that is a tonal high point but the film feels a little too glossy elsewhere. Good, but feels a little like a missed opportunity to make something truly impressive.

Spoiler

It's a moment where Ailes, known around the Fox office's as 'the leg man' asks Kayla (Robbie) to reveal an increasing amount of skin, until her dress is hoisted up high enough to reveal her panties. Even if there are far more sordid accusations aimed at Ailes, it's a moment that is really fucking horrible to watch. Kudos to Robbie and Lithgow for creating that dynamic.

The Cynic, The Rat and The Fist (1977)

Excellent Italian Eurocrime from the master of the genre Umberto Lenzi. Two crime bosses enter into an uneasy partnership full of cross and double-cross, they try to assassinate ex-cop Maurizio Merli who fakes his own death and sets about sorting shit out. Never dull, this film covers all the bases, delivering tons of gritty thrills. And whilst the plots for these films tend to be cobbled together from here there and everywhere it does the job. Tomas Milian isn't quite as unhinged in this but still does that loose-ruthless thing. John Saxon brings a more refined gangster, punishing one cheater with well-aimed golf shots. And Maurizio Merli is just ace as usual. Anyone who knows the genre has probably seen this, but if you aren't and fancy a no-nonsense, scrappy crime film then this will do nicely.

4/5

• Upvote 3

Dragged Across Concrete 

Having loved both Bone Tomahawk and Cell Block I’ve no idea why it took me so long to watch this. I think it may be my fav of the three. Mel and Vince are great, but Tory Kittles kills it. 

4.5/5

• Upvote 2

John Wick 3.

Pretty much as expected, Reeves and Berry are both acrobatic killing machines and the set pieces are as spectacular as ever. I got fatigued by the sheer amount of nameless goons mowed down by the end.

3/5

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Splunge said:

John Wick 3.

Pretty much as expected, Reeves and Berry are both acrobatic killing machines and the set pieces are as spectacular as ever. I got fatigued by the sheer amount of nameless goons mowed down by the end.

3/5

I would have given  4/5 on the basis of their first proper action scene with the dog but can see what you mean regarding fatigue. 

Osombie (2012)

Definitely one of those films where the idea of it is better than the actual thing. Soldiers stuck in Afghanistan help a woman find her brother, things are complicated by an outbreak of zombies in the area. Whilst far from good, this was surprisingly entertaining despite the blight of CGI blood and explosions. Downtime in the story was filled with merely-okay chit-chat that served to fill out the various character's back-stories which at least helped to give the crew some personality, albeit in a clumsy way. Weirdly this has an 18 certificate although compared to classics like Zombie Flesh Eaters this is a really lightweight affair. Eventually zombie Osama turns up and is as underwhelming as you'd expect. I suspect any sort of political subtext people may find in this was completely unintentional. It's no Romero in that regard. Fun premise though the experience really didn't live up to the promise despite its best efforts.

1/5

Dragged Across Concrete

Bad, just bad. I actually can't think of anything redeeming about it, it was that bad. Considering the plot, the characters and the actors involved, it should have been a tense, exciting affair, but it was just dull. To the point where I found I was scrolling through Facebook at times. 

A generous 1/5

• Upvote 1

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (2016)

The most interesting thing about this tepid bollocks, is that Cruise is quite clearly wearing a toupee in two of the film's major fight sequences.

Oh, and the main villain looks like Niko Bellic. 

1/5

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, John Edward Gammell said:

Oh, and the main villain looks like Niko Bellic. 

Not as much as the villain from Behind Enemy Lines does

image.jpeg

Motherless Brooklyn

A ‘passion project’ 20 years in the making, ever since Edward Norton read the 1999 novel the film is based on. ‘Passion project’ is always used as a criticism, like how dare this successful actor indulge themselves, but aren’t most films passion projects by directors who’ve spent years trying to secure funding for them. Norton takes the present day setting of 1999 New York and switches it to the 50s. He wants to take the lead role in his noir mystery thriller in the same way Ben Affleck wanted to with Live By Night and why not. He wants to dress like a private detective with the long coat and hat, sit behind a desk with his colleagues arguing about what lead to follow, he wants smokey bars with a jazz quartet playing, he wants the attractive love interest who he writes the part specifically for, he wants the whole vibe of a 50s New York set noir. He wants to ask his friend Thom Yorke to do a track for it that will play in the film’s sombre moments, he also wants to ask his long time actor friends to join in and they did, for free. Willem Defoe, Alec Baldwin, both really good. 

I think the reputation of Edward Norton is inaccurate if his interviews and this film is enough to gleam insight into his personality. He’s humble and laid back in interviews, giving his opinions on how he sees characters but not in an aggressive dominating way. Not in a way that suggests he’d escalate to raising his voice. You can imagine it a bit like how he is in films, repeatedly saying; oh right oh right fine, if you think that’ll work we’ll try that...

He’s not actually that fun in this because he’s not a bastard and he plays that well. When he apologises for his tourette ticks which make it seem he’s making light of serious issues he appears completely genuine. 

The story is about his mentor (Bruce Willis) being killed because he was on to uncovering corruption of some sort. The film widens up to what that corruption is but not convincingly or dramatically. Even Willis’ death is undramatic, Norton peering through the hospital window looking more comical than distressed. 

It’s not like he’s letting leash with all his ideas here with how to shoot scenes that have lived in his head for two decades. There’s no singular vision, it plays out exactly as any ordinary director would direct it. The story is so tamely told, you don’t really feel the agony of this guy’s mentor dieing horrifically in front of him, nor the anger that’s driving him to uncover  the truth, nor is the mystery gripping. It’s a slow 2 hours and 25 minutes. 

The best directors make you feel every moment. There’s no doubting Norton’s obvious passion for this project so the only thing to discern is that he is just a laid back mellow guy who is content in life. He wanted to make his film but wasn’t concerned with it jolting audiences or being a classic of its genre. 

The film’s antagonist is based on Robert Moses, who i had never heard of. It’s a film that despite set in the 50s its issues are still relevant today. 

Comparing it to Live By Night, that film had far more intense performances and moments, an effectiveness in its action, but led by Affleck miscast in the lead who can pull off depressed but can’t transmit a hardness that is meant to yell ‘don’t mess with me’ wherever he goes. 

Motherless Brooklyn will probably have a bigger following of fans in the decades that follow because Norton does express more of his personality in terms of how noticeable the jazz music that plays throughout the film is. You’d rather ditch the plot and just stay with Norton and his girl mate dancing in the smoke filled bar listening to the jazz quartet than carry on unravelling the mystery at the centre of the story. 

3/5

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Loik V credern said:

Motherless Brooklyn

A ‘passion project’ 20 years in the making, ever since Edward Norton read the 1999 novel the film is based on. ‘Passion project’ is always used as a criticism, like how dare this successful actor indulge themselves, but aren’t most films passion projects by directors who’ve spent years trying to secure funding for them. Norton takes the present day setting of 1999 New York and switches it to the 50s. He wants to take the lead role in his noir mystery thriller in the same way Ben Affleck wanted to with Live By Night and why not. He wants to dress like a private detective with the long coat and hat, sit behind a desk with his colleagues arguing about what lead to follow, he wants smokey bars with a jazz quartet playing, he wants the attractive love interest who he writes the part specifically for, he wants the whole vibe of a 50s New York set noir. He wants to ask his friend Thom Yorke to do a track for it that will play in the film’s sombre moments, he also wants to ask his long time actor friends to join in and they did, for free. Willem Defoe, Alec Baldwin, both really good. 

I think the reputation of Edward Norton is inaccurate if his interviews and this film is enough to gleam insight into his personality. He’s humble and laid back in interviews, giving his opinions on how he sees characters but not in an aggressive dominating way. Not in a way that suggests he’d escalate to raising his voice. You can imagine it a bit like how he is in films, repeatedly saying; oh right oh right fine, if you think that’ll work we’ll try that...

He’s not actually that fun in this because he’s not a bastard and he plays that well. When he apologises for his tourette ticks which make it seem he’s making light of serious issues he appears completely genuine. 

The story is about his mentor (Bruce Willis) being killed because he was on to uncovering corruption of some sort. The film widens up to what that corruption is but not convincingly or dramatically. Even Willis’ death is undramatic, Norton peering through the hospital window looking more comical than distressed. 

It’s not like he’s letting leash with all his ideas here with how to shoot scenes that have lived in his head for two decades. There’s no singular vision, it plays out exactly as any ordinary director would direct it. The story is so tamely told, you don’t really feel the agony of this guy’s mentor dieing horrifically in front of him, nor the anger that’s driving him to uncover  the truth, nor is the mystery gripping. It’s a slow 2 hours and 25 minutes. 

The best directors make you feel every moment. There’s no doubting Norton’s obvious passion for this project so the only thing to discern is that he is just a laid back mellow guy who is content in life. He wanted to make his film but wasn’t concerned with it jolting audiences or being a classic of its genre. 

The film’s antagonist is based on Robert Moses, who i had never heard of. It’s a film that despite set in the 50s its issues are still relevant today. 

Comparing it to Live By Night, that film had far more intense performances and moments, an effectiveness in its action, but led by Affleck miscast in the lead who can pull off depressed but can’t transmit a hardness that is meant to yell ‘don’t mess with me’ wherever he goes. 

Motherless Brooklyn will probably have a bigger following of fans in the decades that follow because Norton does express more of his personality in terms of how noticeable the jazz music that plays throughout the film is. You’d rather ditch the plot and just stay with Norton and his girl mate dancing in the smoke filled bar listening to the jazz quartet than carry on unravelling the mystery at the centre of the story. 

3/5

Awesome post. I never got the Norton love

On 20/01/2020 at 21:37, neoELITE said:

It's my daughter's 13th birthday today so we went to see Weathering With You.

I've never seen anime at the cinema but this one should be seen on the big screen. The animation is glorious. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it made my daughter's day as she didn't know we were going. 5/5

I only knew of it because I saw Kermode review it on Saturday morning. It's a really great film.

I saw this at the cinema yesterday. I think Your Name is a much better film. But that's not too say this isn't gorgeous and for the right demographic, fantastic. 

You should watch Your Name if you haven't already. It's more gorgeous than this IMO. 

Crawl

My son's second 'horror' film. A fantastic 90 minutes. He loved it, I loved it, my wife was shitting terrified throughout. Very good, very effective genre movie.

4/5

Angel Has Fallen

They've decided to make Mike Banning more human by giving him migraines. Except they amount to nothing. He still kills a load of people, just not as graphically or nastily as the first two.

2 out of 5

Wild Rose for me as well.

4/5 from me.  The extra point mainly because I have always liked country music, so it was a no brainer that I was going to enjoy this.  Although got to agree that it was an excellent central performance by Jessie Buckley.

Big Trouble in Little China.

Again.

I'll keep on saying it until the end of days - it's a perfect film. There is no way to improve upon it, and those rumours about some sort of reboot are a terrible thing indeed. 

It's the best palate cleanser you can find for when you need to get rid of something truly terrible you've watched, or even something incredibly cerebral that you just can't stop thinking about.

Jack Burton will always come to the rescue and- despite what any ancient Chinese undead sorcerer might say - he'll never piss you off.

• Upvote 3

Kind Hearts and Coronets

Slowly trying the old Ealing comedies. This is often heralded as the greatest British film of all time and I certainly think that it was very good indeed. 

For 1949 it must have been a crazy concept. A dark as fuck narrated comedy about a serial killer having ongoing sex with a crazy married woman and murdering 8 Alec Guinesses' was not what I was expecting but it's what I got. A really tight script and for a film so old it holds up brilliantly. 

5/5

• Upvote 2