rllmuk
Raoull duke

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

10 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Kind Hearts and Coronets

Slowly trying the old Ealing comedies. This is often heralded as the greatest British film of all time and I certainly think that it was very good indeed. 

For 1949 it must have been a crazy concept. A dark as fuck narrated comedy about a serial killer having ongoing sex with a crazy married woman and murdering 8 Alex Guinesses' was not what I was expecting but it's what I got. A really tight script and for a film so old it holds up brilliantly. 

5/5

loads of the films from that era have aged better than films from the 80's because they're really daring and witty

• Upvote 1

Bait 

Loved the presentation but I just couldn't find a story in there. If I had to explain Bait's story it would be 'Bloke who likes fishing, catches fish sometimes and gives them out to locals every now and again.' There IS something in there about 'class' but I couldn't quite get into it enough to figure it out.

2/5

I saw Bait in the cinema and loved it. The story is pretty simple, rich outsiders move to a fishing village and get into conflict with the locals. But I loved the style of it, the music, the grimeyness of the film stock - it all worked so well. I found the ending a little confusing though. 

2 hours ago, Commander Jameson said:

The Personal History of David Copperfield

Charming, inventive and whimsical.

4 different names/5

I'm going tonight. 

The Color of Money

I really wanted to like this. An Oscar winning performance from Newman, a great energetic performance from Cruise and Mary Elizabeth whatsherface looking very sexy and giving an Oscar nominated performance. I haven't even got to the director yet.

But, it just doesn't go anywhere. The script is often banal and doesn't fit the characters. The leads don't gel well at all and their isn't any plot to speak of. The masterful cinematography and editing just about save it. 

2/5

Star Trek into darkness

3/5 isn’t wrath of Khan, but isn’t nemesis either

Just now, SeanR said:

Star Trek into darkness

it is the best reboot trek film in my opinion

but that isn't saying much

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, sandman said:

The Color of Money

I really wanted to like this. An Oscar winning performance from Newman, a great energetic performance from Cruise and Mary Elizabeth whatsherface looking very sexy and giving an Oscar nominated performance. I haven't even got to the director yet.

But, it just doesn't go anywhere. The script is often banal and doesn't fit the characters. The leads don't gel well at all and their isn't any plot to speak of. The masterful cinematography and editing just about save it. 

2/5

Oh man I love Color of Money. Its all about the arrogance of youth vs the regrets of old age. It's really subtle rather than grandiose but it's so consistently entertaining and gently manipulative that I think it's a real misunderstood gem.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Oh man I love Color of Money. Its all about the arrogance of youth vs the regrets of sold age. It's really subtle rather than grandiose but it's so consistently entertaining and gently manipulative that I think it's a real misunderstood gem.

Same, but for Gnomeo & Juliet.

12 minutes ago, Commander Jameson said:

Did you see this in the end?

No I didn't finish work in time. Tomorrow!

Memento 

I probably would have loved this in 2000. But having already seen most of Nolan's other films it's like watching a comedian you know too wel. Where you know exactly how they think and can see all the punchlines coming a mile off.  Admittedly though this was probably where he began with said formula. Which is fitting I suppose doing it pretty much in reverse. 

Great director but as a writer he's over reliant on the one trick (convoluted and ambiguous = people telling themselves it's really clever when it isn't particularly). To be fair though structurally this was quite clever, I probably would have loved it when it first came out.

3/5 

Edge of Tomorrow 

Really surprisingly great other than the non ending. I guess they were thinking it would be a set up for a quick sequel.

4/5

3 hours ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Booksmart 

Knew nothing about this going in and was won over within minutes, what a joy!

4/5

I watched this for the third time last night and its a classic in the genre man. So loveable and inventive. It flips so many tropes on their head. 

Its hard for me to know being old and very out of touch these days, but it certainly felt like it was gonna be this generations Clueless. What a debut from Olivia Wilde too!

On 28/01/2020 at 22:21, SeanR said:

Star Trek into darkness

I just watched this today and thought it was very decent. Liked how the Spock chase scene towards the end - felt like a nice ferocious fight. Better than I remember. I may watch Star Trek:Beyond next but I don't think I was too impressed when that came out. 

2020 Texas Gladiators (1983)

Surprisingly entertaining Italian post-apocalyptic action with a pinch of sleaze here and there. Simple plot where some wasteland warriors come to the aid of a factory/power plant/chemical works thing that gets taken over by bikers and some knock-off Nazis. It started out bizarrely with some priests getting attacked by crazy scavengers, felt a bit strange but things settled down to more familiar territory after that. Despite this being post-nuke sci-fi it actually felt more like a western complete with native Americans turning up at one point. Not sure if this was intentional but there you go. The unfussy viewer will get some cheap enjoyment from this.

3/5

vlcsnap-2020-01-29-23h56m00s565.png

• Upvote 2

Weathering With You

Utterly gorgeous to look at, typical whiny teenage male protagonist, feline comic relief.

4 brollies / 5

Mrs Lowry & Son

Not my usual sort of film trying something different.

Redgrave and Spall are both excellent, poor old Lowry really put up with alot of crap from his mum.

3/5

A hard days night

5/5

what's not to like? great leads, fantastic script, Dick Lester constantly shifts the camera, inventing new cinema, doing things that hadn't been done, and that soundtrack.

also Paul's grandfather is very clean.

• Upvote 1

Blindspotting - 4.5/5

A real surprise and seemingly completely overlooked a couple of years ago. This by turns funny and tense film about a young African American coming off probation is a bumpy ride and contains one of the most powerful scenes I've ever watched.

• Upvote 2

Escape Room (2019)

I'm not sure if I was supposed to laugh at this. Reminded me of 90s cult classic Cube but with a bigger budget and less ingenuity. 

The last few minutes are batshit mental which increased the guffaw factor. 

Advice: leave your brain at the door because this is rather silly.

2.5/5

1917 (2019)

Phenomenal piece of cinema. Thought this was incredible. 

5/5

The Lighthouse

I thought this was incredible. People are talking about how Adam Sandler has been snubbed at the Oscars this year for Uncut Gems, and I’m sure they’re right, but I honestly can’t believe this has been overlooked in the bigger categories. Defoe and Pattinson just blew me away.

Easily the best film of 2019 for me (and probably some time before that as well), although I still need to watch Uncut Gems and Parasite.

5/5

The Pianist - 3.5/5

I feel a bit mean for that score because in many ways it's an incredible movie but the truth is that I didn't really find the second half of the movie very interesting. The first halve's gradual, inevitable escalation into despair and hopelessness is full of pathos and is never anything less than utterly engrossing.

The second half felt a bit like an endless procession of sequences of Adrien Brody being hungry and sick and stumbling from place to place which may well be an accurate retelling of what happened but the movie is just too one-note about it, tonally. And I didn't buy into that piano sequence at the end at all which is annoying as it's intended to be the movie's big climax but it felt too stagey and Hollywood in comparison to what came before for my tastes. It didn't move me.

First half 5, second half 2.5 (mainly for Brody's performance and some amazing individual shots).

2 hours ago, Mystacon said:

The Lighthouse

I thought this was incredible. People are talking about how Adam Sandler has been snubbed at the Oscars this year for Uncut Gems, and I’m sure they’re right, but I honestly can’t believe this has been overlooked in the bigger categories. Defoe and Pattinson just blew me away.

Easily the best film of 2019 for me (and probably some time before that as well), although I still need to watch Uncut Gems and Parasite.

5/5

I prefer it to both. Its simply outrageously good.

Heat

The street shootout is still utterly thrilling and not showing the two legendary actors in the same frame continues to sadden me.

4/5

11 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Heat

The street shootout is still utterly thrilling and not showing the two legendary actors in the same frame continues to sadden me.

4/5

How in holy fuck does Heat lose a point?