Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Yeah, if you view it as a piece of trash then Pacino is a good turn, but as a a component of a (presumably) serious movie it’s awful.

The ending is junk.

That Day Shall Come.

Watched with Mrs and the teens, think I was the only one who really enjoyed it. But I guess that because I know how much of it is 'real'.  The very last scene / pre credits bit beaked me the fuck out, especially stung after rthe pretty good funnies throughout. 

Fuck the police, basically. 

4/5

In The Line Of Duty 4 (1989)

Easily my favourite of these so far. Cynthia Khan is back kicking and punching her way to justice. There's some plot about a guy witnessing some CIA guys doing a drug deal and all that but frankly who cares, it's all about the action and there's tons of high-quality action here, stunts and excellent hand-to-hand combat. Directed by Yuen Woo-Ping who, I'm led to believe, went on to do the fight choreography for The Matrix amongst other things. Super-slick and exciting, and thankfully doesn't have any of the naff comedy of the previous films.

4.5/5

vlcsnap-2020-01-31-23h23m40s551.png

Uncut Gems - 4/5

Or as I like to call it: foreshadowing, the movie. Like being slowly strangled of your breath for over two absorbing hours until the sweet release of climax.

The Personal History of David Copperfield - 5/5

Shot through with charm like a stick of rock, a movie that sees the fundamental good in people - equal parts Iannuchi and Dickens, which it turns out is a great combination. Excellent cast, great gags, I left the cinema beaming. 

On Dangerous Ground (1986)

Also known as Choke Canyon, and not to be confused with Steven Seagal's woeful On Deadly Ground, this was, despite a few interesting ideas and some quality stunts, a pretty underwhelming and forgettable effort. A maverick scientist doing some experiments in the middle of nowhere, largely involving lots of boxes with flashing lights, gets into hot water with an evil corporation (are there any other kind?) who want to dump hazardous waste in his yard. He uses charm and some ingenuity to stick it to the man, but somehow it didn't really inspire. Bo Svenson's get-em-out-at-all-costs Captain went flat, and Lance Henriksen's company man was essentially just there to be told what to do by both sides, wasted. The only thing that makes this film stand out is some outstanding stunt work in a lengthy aerial chase sequence near the end, really impressive, the sort of thing they'd replace with CG these days. It's a pleasant enough tale that just lacks something.

3/5

Uncut Gems (2019)

It's a compelling drama that ramps up with every stupid, desperate decision the guy makes, but I just have a problem with that always-on style of you know, constant chuntering. Yes it's a style thing, an acting thing, a directing thing, but bloody hell does it get on my nerves quickly. 2+ hours of it was just about bearable thanks to the story and ancillary characters. Missing the point? I don't doubt it. Still annoying though.

3.5/5

6 Underground (2019)

Pretty standard Michael Bay fare. Primary colours, muscular action, explosions, excessive lens flare, a bit of military fetishism thrown in. Ryan Reynolds has settled into this wise-cracking action hero almost indivisible from The Hitman's Bodyguard or even Deadpool. This film isn't so much style over substance as style instead of substance. Plenty of action in that fast food Bay style, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't exciting in parts. I'd also say some of the gags did make me laugh. The baddie was barely there, just some evil brown man who would happily kill his own people, pretty lame, no, very lame. There was never any kind of face-off, no match. The bad side was just a load of guys with guns. They just happened to be the wrong side, and were unlucky not to possess personality. Compared to my favourite Bay film, The Rock, this just feels like it's trying a bit too hard to be flashy, it gets confusing and probably feels it's a bit more than it thinks it is. Some lush cinematography though.

3/5

Color Out Of Space (2020)

The original story is my favourite Lovecraft tale so I was eager to see how a film version would pan out. The good news is it's absolutely gorgeous, shot beautifully with the terribly vivid and febrile colour of the title popping wonderfully. If anything, I found the film far more upsetting and impactful than the short story as it spends time introducing the family at the heart of it and they're a sweet, lovely bunch in a idyllic place so when shit goes south, it's all the more painful and unfair. There's some quality body horror straight out of U.S Outpost 31 too, which was 'nice', and a more subtle and nuanced performance from Nic Cage than you might expect.

All in all, while not a straight 1:1 adaptation of the story, it's very faithful to the spirit of it, and it held my attention throughout in a way the somewhat similar Annihilation never managed.

4/5

2 hours ago, Joystick Chevron said:

Color Out Of Space (2020)

The original story is my favourite Lovecraft tale so I was eager to see how a film version would pan out. The good news is it's absolutely gorgeous, shot beautifully with the terribly vivid and febrile colour of the title popping wonderfully. If anything, I found the film far more upsetting and impactful than the short story as it spends time introducing the family at the heart of it and they're a sweet, lovely bunch in a idyllic place so when shit goes south, it's all the more painful and unfair. There's some quality body horror straight out of U.S Outpost 31 too, which was 'nice', and a more subtle and nuanced performance from Nic Cage than you might expect.

All in all, while not a straight 1:1 adaptation of the story, it's very faithful to the spirit of it, and it held my attention throughout in a way the somewhat similar Annihilation never managed.

4/5

great review. Especially the use of 'febrile'. I think Stanley nailed it

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot 

Shite, awful, badly acted, unfunny, disjointed shite. It's not often that I give up on a film half way through, but it was sufficiently bad that we couldn't actually make it more than an hour in.

We could have been watching Uncut Gems and I wish I could give this film less than 0/5

Ali

i needed a decent Smith movie to cleanse the palette after the odd Collateral Beauty. I think this is his best performance by a country mile. He absolutely nails it and the film is fantastic. No idea where the $107  million budget went. what the heck happened to Mann?

4.5/5

Max Payne

Much better than I was expecting. Great performances from the two leads, a fantastic look and excellent effects work. Plenty of shoot outs and action. Budget was $35 million and seems much better value for money than Ali.

3.5/5

Bad Boys for Life. 

A worthwhile sequel that is even unpredictable in places. About 10 minutes too long though and I’m docking half a point for the blatant sexism. 

3.5/5

Venom 

Annoyed that I hadn’t caught this brilliant film before. Can’t recall the last film I thought was too short but this needed another 15 minutes 

I was laughing throughout and Hardy was amazing 

4.5/5

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

The way this was put together was complete fucking ass. The content wasn't terrible. But it was edited together by a fucking a moron for a moron audience. Cuts every three seconds, which isn't terrible during an action sequence but even in the conversational scenes: cut, cut, cut, cut, cut. At no stage did I get the impression I was watching two people just talking, it felt like two or more monologues that were spliced together into a conversation. 

1/5 

1 hour ago, Raoull duke said:

At no stage did I get the impression I was watching two people just talking, it felt like two or more monologues that were spliced together into a conversation. 

That’s exactly what happened with any scene that had Leia in.

image.png.18a4bd4ddf6a0cb6d2aedaebca9bb6f2.png

I should probably do these as an when I watch them, but these are the recent films I've watched since my last post.

• Only Yesterday - Just a really lovely wholesome film, but one that doesn't shy away from Japanese culture (specifincally with the father). I'm usually one that prefers the fantasy side of Ghibli films but this one was just so charming.
  • The Wind Rises - I wanted to love this, I really did, especially with it being Miyazakis "official" last film but I just struggled to care enough. I didn't really find the subject or characters all that intersting and the pace is all over the place. Absolutely stunning animation and soundtrack though, but it's Ghibli, thats what they do best.
  • Ingirid Goes West - Aubrey Plaza plays crazy stalker girl and plays it very well in this uncomfortable and relentless black comedy. It's a film about how vapid the lives of people on social media can be and those that follow them. There's a good bit of social commetary in this film about how social media can ruin lives, espeically the metally ill.
  • Princess and the Frog - Pretty standard Disney affair in terms of story beats but the setting is what sets it apart from other princess films. It was fine.
  • Homeward Bound II - After watcing the 1st a few weeks ago, my kids wanted to watch the sequel. It loses any charm the 1st had and goes into silly territory, with slapstick comedy and poorer acting.
  • Greta - Young girl befriends an older woman when she returns her lost handbag. Things seem fine but not all is what it seems. This started well but the reveals felt like it came way too early and then the rest of the film relies heavily on tropes, especially with the titular character Greta. There are some genuine scary/phychotic moments involving Greta midway through but by the end it's all a little played out and been done a thousand times before.
  • Fantastic Mr.Fox - Utterly wonderly. Amazing animation, with a sharp & witty script and brilliantly acted. There's some gorgeous shots throughout the film and some of the things they do with the stop motion is fantastic. It's pure Wes Anderson goodness
34 minutes ago, JPL said:

That’s exactly what happened with any scene that had Leia in.

Yeah I noticed it was particularly bad for her scenes and could imagine they were forced to do so after Carrie Fisher died. But the whole film was like that. Instead of filming any of the scenes with a wide angle and showing everyone it just showed a zoomed in shot of whoever was talking saying a line or two. Cut next person's line or two. Cut. And so on. Maybe they done it throughout just so the Leah scenes would be consistent with the rest. Still horrible to watch though. 

Uncut Gems. Incredible performance from Adam Sandler but great support from a really unusual cast of non-actors and well known actors often playing against type. the film itself has the stressful, panic-inducing charge to it like few films I've ever seen. Fantastic. 5/5

My last three movies then:

Good Time

5/5

Uncut Gems

5/5

Parasite

5/5

Best few days of movies in ages!

And this lot was preceded by the Chernobyl mini-series too; I sense disappointment in the near future.

Help me keep the run going! Marriage Story?

On 03/02/2020 at 21:31, Triple A said:

My last three movies then:

Good Time

5/5

Uncut Gems

5/5

Parasite

5/5

Best few days of movies in ages!

And this lot was preceded by the Chernobyl mini-series too; I sense disappointment in the near future.

Help me keep the run going! Marriage Story?

Marriage Story is great. 2019 was bloody brilliant.

21 Bridges

If I’d seen this when I was 11, it might have been one of my favourite films of all time. 

It’s fine. No-one stinks or shines in it, there’s some decent gunfights though and a lot of people get domed, if you’re looking for more of that now John Wick’s done for the foreseeable. 

The Paperboy 

what the heck did I just watch. A fantastic cast is wasted in this poorly directed and decidedly odd thriller. A terrible script doesn’t help.

a film that left a nasty taste in my mouth with no redeeming features apart from Kidman’s performance 

0.5/5

Jurassic world: Fallen kingdom

Was curious to see how bad it was , it's pretty terrible  but I was surprised with how tedious the whole thing was. Pratt and  Howard look bored  and the only real surprise was that the baddie pointed out how complicit our heroes were in creating the situation and effectively their moral bankruptcy (not in so many words) and they had no answer.A rare moment of clarity in a messy  series that probably still makes truckloads of cash so won't end soon.

1/5

One Cut Of The Dead 5/5.

Been told by a guy in work to watch this and sat with Mrs Majestyk for the first 30 odd mins promising her it would get good. By the end we were both crying with laughter. Highly recommend watching without reading any reviews. 

Fighting With my Family

A laugh out loud feel-good movie with some great performances from Florence Pugh as the lead, Nick Frost as her dad and Jack Lowden as her brother. Based very closely on a true story. Currently in Netflix - recommend!

4/5