IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

Batman Begins.  Despite the excesses of recent super hero movies and the portrayal of insane super powers (Captain Marvel anyone?), this movie still holds up.

It's got the Tumbler, a decent Commissioner Gordon, Fox, ninjas and a really corking Batman.

4/5

Gremlins - 5/5 

My youngest wanted to watch something scary, and I think this walks the line just perfectly, for someone her age.

Still a wonderfully funny movie. And Mrs Deagle could be up there with Clarence Boddicker as best villain of the 80s :D

How old is she? I keep toying with the idea of showing it to my ten year old but haven't got around to it (or Flight of the Navigator, Daryl, Big, Short Circuit or The Goonies. I'm a dreadful father).

My last movie was Deadwood: The Movie - 5/5.

It's more Deadwood, so how could it get any other score?

On 30/08/2019 at 11:31, peeveen said:

The Kindergarten Teacher 3/5

Decent tale of a lady having a midlife crisis that gets a bit out of control. Maggie Gyllenhaal puts in a very good turn. Ends quite abruptly. Trailer almost told the whole story.

Last film I saw in the cinema and I loved it. It has a horrible sense of dread as you see her crossing all of those red lines as someone trusted to look after children.

On 30/08/2019 at 20:07, nakamura said:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

3/5. After an unbelievably slow start, about 45 mins of almost nothing, it developed into a pretty decent movie. Daniel Craig is about as exciting as a bit of wood but Rooney Mara got better and better. 

I'll be forever disappointed that Fincher's version didn't get a sequel. Mara, Skarsgard, the wintery atmosphere and the soundtrack were all standouts.

On 31/08/2019 at 18:30, Hanzo the Razor said:

Blade Runner - Watch The Directors/Final/Workprint Cut. 5/5

Director's Cut for proper colour grading and the correct Batty line to Tyrell.

To contribute, my own last film was Arrow's restoration of Candyman. 5/5 for the mythology, story, setting, Philip Glass soundtrack and Tony Todd's astounding performance. Looking forward to the post-gentrification reboot.

Girls Against Boys

Killer Frost has boy trouble and I feel bad for her, son. She becomes new BFFs with a crazy redhead and who lures her on a bloody swathe of retribution against rapists, flatmates of rapists, shitty boyfriends and shittier cops. Then Killer Frost meets a sweet kid and BFF murders the fuck out of him with a katana just in case, so Killer Frost murders the fuck out of BFF with a katana, leaves her naked, bleeding body on the floor of their apartment and has a bath and goes to work. While on her break, she sees a girl sitting on some stairs crying to start the cycle anew.

Absolute trash but Killer Frost owns and they play out the final scene to credits with a hella awesome choon so I'm giving it 5/5

Robin hood. (2018) I think I have a new contender in' the worst movie you have ever seen' thread. This is barely has a redeeming aspect and i was reduced to watching it with the sound off to get through it. It's hip, it's trendy, it has parkour and  gritty action with very modern body armor and parts of  Nottingham looks like Mordor. That bit may be accurate, can't say I've ever been. Baddies dress in leather  with gimp masks, Director Krennic travels  in time and from a galaxy far far away and Jamie Foxx plays at being a bit of a prick. Doest appear to be stretching himself there either. Bono's daughter stinks the place out every time she's on screen  and if it wasn't for the fact some of the stunts are okay and well done it wouldn't ever get the 1/2 star out of 5 that I'm awarding it. It was worse than the Guy Richie  king Arthur movie and that's a low bar to limbo under. 

Fantastic Creatures - Crimes of Grindlewald: 4/5 (Now TV) It’s not as bad as many of the critics make it out to be. I absolutely hated the first film and wanted to punch the main character in the face every time he spoke. I think the director must have told the actor (can’t remember his name) to tone it down as whilst it’s annoying, at least it’s watchable this time. Also concentrating less on the creatures and more on other things was definitely an improvement. Overall pretty good but it still surprised the heck out of me that theyre planning 5 of these things :blink:

6 hours ago, tronied said:

Fantastic Creatures - Crimes of Grindlewald: 4/5 (Now TV) It’s not as bad as many of the critics make it out to be. I absolutely hated the first film and wanted to punch the main character in the face every time he spoke. I think the director must have told the actor (can’t remember his name) to tone it down as whilst it’s annoying, at least it’s watchable this time. Also concentrating less on the creatures and more on other things was definitely an improvement. Overall pretty good but it still surprised the heck out of me that theyre planning 5 of these things :blink:

That would be Oscar winner Eddie whatsiface who is utterly shit in every other role he's been in (although he is great in THOE)

Australia. 

What at an utterly fantastic film. Wish I'd seen it years ago, but it didn't review well.  Bit odd that Kidman plays a Brit though.

5/5

Tag

A group of friends play a month long game of Tag every year, and Hawkeye from The Avengers is an expert in not being tagged.

Very silly, some funny moments yet on occasions the jokes fall flat (and a bit tasteless once or twice) but it was good fun overall. Oh and Isla Fisher is in it which immediately makes it watchable.

The oddest thing about this film is that it's based on a true story! 

3/5

21 hours ago, Joystick Chevron said:

Girls Against Boys

Killer Frost has boy trouble and I feel bad for her, son. She becomes new BFFs with a crazy redhead and who lures her on a bloody swathe of retribution against rapists, flatmates of rapists, shitty boyfriends and shittier cops. Then Killer Frost meets a sweet kid and BFF murders the fuck out of him with a katana just in case, so Killer Frost murders the fuck out of BFF with a katana, leaves her naked, bleeding body on the floor of their apartment and has a bath and goes to work. While on her break, she sees a girl sitting on some stairs crying to start the cycle anew.

Absolute trash but Killer Frost owns and they play out the final scene to credits with a hella awesome choon so I'm giving it 5/5

Do you mean Killer Frost from The Flash?

On 30/08/2019 at 23:41, Paulando said:

You guys don't half watch a load of shite.

For me, if it hasn't grabbed me in the first 15 minutes, or it's just shite, it goes OFF.

On 31/08/2019 at 00:29, Camel said:

That's a terrible way to approach films.

Yes, it's a terrible way to approach films and also a damaging one.

In the world of Netflix and endless content where the user can "click off" at any moment, you end up with stuff like Birdbox, where it feels like they edited in the prologue (showing the blindfold situation right off the bat) to get people in and hooked straight away before flashing back to the actual start of the film, where you already now know what's going to happen. 

7 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Yes, it's a terrible way to approach films and also a damaging one.

In the world of Netflix and endless content where the user can "click off" at any moment, you end up with stuff like Birdbox, where it feels like they edited in the prologue (showing the blindfold situation right off the bat) to get people in and hooked straight away before flashing back to the actual start of the film, where you already now know what's going to happen. 

Actually, doing just that would probably stop me from watching it. I don’t mean a film needs to have 14 explosions and 6 car chases in the first 15 minutes to grab my 100mph YouTube-Brain. Good writing and good characters pull me in.

If it’s clear a film is badly made and badly written, I probably won’t waste my time with it. It isn't much different to not watching it altogether. I mean, I imagine you don’t watch every film ever released? You generally make a decision before you watch something based on a number of factors as to whether it’s worthy of your time. If I’m on the fence about it, I might still give it a go, but I don’t consider myself committed until the final frame. If you watch an episode of a TV show and you don’t like it, do you consider yourself committed until the finale in season 8? Of course you don’t.

I think I gave Suicide Squad half an hour or so. It was terrible up to that point, and I couldn’t bring myself to continue, so why waste my time? I could watch something better, or spend time with my family.

I'm still very often surprised by films. I didn't imagine liking the latest Jumanji film, but right from the off it made me laugh. The characters were fun, and I enjoyed it up to the end. I'm glad I gave that a go.