rllmuk
Raoull duke

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

I haven't seen La Haine for years but need to rectify that soon. It was such a powerful film and made a huge impression  the first time I watched it. 

A Simple Favor

Feel like I wanted to like it more than it deserved. Both the lead performances are pretty good but the truth is the tone is all over the place. Gone Girl mixed with Bridesmaids. Probably 3/5 if I was being generous. 

9 hours ago, Daley said:

A Simple Favor

Feel like I wanted to like it more than it deserved. Both the lead performances are pretty good but the truth is the tone is all over the place. Gone Girl mixed with Bridesmaids. Probably 3/5 if I was being generous. 

I loved this. 

• Upvote 2

Dead Ringers

This is definitely my favorite Cronenberg film. Irons' performance was astounding, but the entire film was brilliant. Cronenberg always delivers a raw, surreal, disturbing experience

• Upvote 2

Parasite 

Went into this one blind, despite all the hype. Not what I was expecting at all. 

Brilliant. 5/5.

• Upvote 5

Greed - A good but not great film. good performances from most (Isla Fisher is never my favorite), and a sobering coda. Some good humour throughout with what I perceived to be a couple of Partridge callbacks. Slightly odd casting that the Coogan's characters mum is played by someone the same age as him though. 

3.5 Skulls out of 5

14 hours ago, sandman said:

I loved this. 

The film or my review? ;)

I enjoyed the film too and I didn't mind the change of tone and that it started as one thing but then moved on to something else but the the fact it 

Spoiler

had someone deliver a little quip right after the dramatic car crash scene near the end was a little jarring and the fact it just kept jumping around tonally was a little odd. Overall it was worth a watch but I did find it a little all over the place.

The Perfection 

Pretty great. I don't want to say anything about it in case you haven't seen it.  You should watch it though.  It was nicely structured and had a good habit of outsmarting me. 

4/5

Brahms: The Boy II : I hadn't seen the first but was informed that it doesn't really matter. It was pretty standard spooky doll genre stuff but watchable and not the worst way to spend 87 mins. I live 5 mins from the cinema and have an unlimited card so don't feel too hard done by but I can't really recommend it if you are paying a tenner plus transport. It's the kind of film you may find on Netflix and mindlessly watch on a rainy day. Get's a bonus half point for having Chris Finch (bloody good rep) in it!

2 and a half evil doll Skulls out of 5. 

That bloody good rep was in some TV commercial I saw the other day - was it for a car? I don't remember.

The Dark Knight

Again, some of the theatrics and things were a bit daft but that's preferable to the sullen tone I was expecting before it started. (Also I'm a sucker for big explosions, and this has one or two good ones :P ) I'd rate Begins a little more because the origins/character development in the first film was more interesting to me, but both films are alright.

3.5/5

• Upvote 1

Shirley Valentine - 4/5

I’d never seen this, but recently saw the play so was interested. And I loved it, of course, because who wouldn’t? Everything about it is amazing, even the clunkiness, which I guess comes from levering a one woman show into full character adaptation, and being an eighties britflick. It even made me cry at the end. I dock a mark as the fabric is a little worn.

Bad Lieutenant 5/5

I’ve been watching New Orleans Port of Call a lot because I love it, and I realised I hadn’t seen this for twenty years. Oy vey, what a trip! I’d forgotten how unremittingly dark this is, especially compared with Herzog’s hootfest, but what a movie.

And Harvey Keitel! It’s pretty hilarious really having seen Joker recently, all the praise Phoenix got for his portrayal of a man struggling with mental demons, and to be fair he did an okay job with what he had to work with. But then you watch this, and wow. Keitel gives you the real deal. It’s like his inner demons are pulling at his mental seems, trying to unpick his face from inside and break for freedom. Mind blowing stuff.

• Upvote 3

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. 5/5

Pretty much my perfect spooky movie. Amazing scenes all round. Absolutely superb. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Triple A said:

That bloody good rep was in some TV commercial I saw the other day - was it for a car? I don't remember.

Does he do the voiceover for the Dacia range?

Split (1989)

Where do I start with this off-kilter low-budget cyber-SF thing? Some great ideas, visuals and sound design in amongst the often amusing chaos. Something to do with an Orwellian society where everyone is watched, this completely unknown guy turns up and vows to change things, but trying to apply sense to this plot after the fact is pointless, it's all about the moment, the flow. It's not going to be for everyone, I can easily imagine a lot of people I know absolutely hating it, but the constant stream of bat-shit ideas (albeit a slow stream at points) just kept me rapt. It has the sort of warped internal logic and disregard for the sensible you'd get in a particularly vivid cheese dream. If this is Marmite I just ate the whole jar.

3.5/5

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Commander Jameson said:

Does he do the voiceover for the Dacia range?

That’s the one. With the annoying Ghostbusters cover

Tucker. The man and his Dream

Is this Coppolas forgotten masterpiece? Not quite, but it’s an excellent film with a fantastic central performance from Bridges. A young Joan Allen is also first rate as his wife. It’s overly sentimental in places, but I don’t mind that sometimes 

well worth a watch if you know nothing about the story (or even if you do). It’s on Netflix 

4.5/5

Seabiscuit 

Another period piece with Bridges. Another great performance who is well supported by Banks (very under rated IMHO) and another brilliant if slightly showy turn by Maguire who I’ve always liked. Even more sentimental than Tucker, this tells the story of a horse who rides like the wind and becomes the hero of a nation.

4/5

Onward- Took my daughter into the cinema to see this today. A good natured entry from Pixar. Nothing particularly original but great fun. Chris Pratt does come across a bit Jack Black lite but worth a watch. 

*A warning though. The trailer reel had 2 helpings of Corden (albeit voice only) so you may want to come in last minute on this one.*

4 Magical Relic Skulls out of 5

Guns Akimbo!!... c'mon, you remember that pic!

817084673_gunsakimbo.thumb.jpg.78cd89d4582cfc052ac86bcd99650848.jpg

A-FUCKING_MAYZING!

it was exactley what i expected and more!

so much fun!

no, its not a "great plot" its utter style over substance! and ...its brilliant because of it! you wanna switch off and enjoy some mindless violence, have at it!

5/5 :D on the fun time score!

John Wick - 4.5/5 still great.

Considering Keanu Reeves can’t act for toffee he has made some bloody good films.

Charlie's Angels (2000)

Nostalgia for nostalgia for something that was on the telly when I was 6 or 7 years old. That's about the most complex thing related to this camp, daft action romp. Silly/sexy in a way you don't really see these days, with each Angel having just enough character necessary. I don't mind admitting I laughed out loud a few times. Solid stylish action and enough women in leather to keep the interest level up - did I say that out loud? As I write this the film is 20 years old, and it does feel like something from a different age, very 2000s. Definitely enjoyable, but not classic.

3/5

• Upvote 1

Starship Troopers 5/5

Not as good as Robocop but still one of the best post 9/11 films ever made, made years before 9/11 had actually happened. The special effects have aged wonderfully. 

Do you want to know more?

• Upvote 8

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin

1970s martial arts flick, complete with dubbing, comedy kick/punch sound effects and some of the most unconvincing blood ever. Most of the film is a training montage in each of the chambers minus a stirring rock track before the climatic battle.

2/5

• Upvote 2

Wishmaster

High profile mid-nineties comedy horror which I'd never seen vaguely sober before and couldn't say no to when stumbling upon a DVD for 50p. 

What I found remarkable about this one was the excellent pacing and what should be regarded as career-best performances from most of the cast. I haven't watched the extras yet but if there isn't a promo spot in which cast members express how they all knew that Wishmaster was no ordinary gig I'll be pretty damn surprised.

I'm very pleased to finally have this gem in my library.

5/5

• Upvote 3

Godzilla: King of monsters

I quite liked the 1st of the latest western version of Godzilla- didn't think that the monsters were over used and if the  story had kept Brian Cranston's character alive and focused on him instead of the boring son it could have been great.

Anyhoo, the sequel - King of the monsters. Focus is more on the monsters this time around and the humans are cardboard cutouts for the most part , it introduces a few new baddies early enough and the best set piece of the film - King Gidorah's awakening- is pretty much 1st half  . Everything else is a slow decline and the overexposure of the monsters in general robs the movie of any suspense and fails to build up any excitement.

Some of the logic in regards the plot is entirely absent(an odd complaint in a movie about giant monsters I know)  and any sense of meaningful distances is and afterthought- I'm assuming  humans of the near future  have invented teleportation they move around the planet so easily.

Some of the better actors obviously only signed on for 2 so made sure they were out on completion of this one.

Anyway - you'd need to be a few beers in to get any real enjoyment out of it, I was sober so 2/5 .

• Upvote 1

Guns Akimbo - Didn't enjoy it as much as 5R7 but it passed the time. There was a fair amount of cringe worthy stuff, but credit to Daniel Radcliffe for going all out. He spends 95% of the movie with guns bolted to his hands, covered in blood, grime and goodness knows what else. 

The biggest crime was getting Samara Weaving and barely using her for anything until nearly the end of the movie. The editing is incredibly fast and made something like Crank look like Driving Miss Daisy - and yet used slow-mo way too much. There's a lot going on, and film is pretty much non-stop once it kicks off. Definite switch off your brain stuff. If you can get past the web-streaming, instagram, troll hunting stuff, it's decent entertainment. 

Edit: Maybe it was being clever - it's basically an FPS in the vein of Doom etc. Little plot, lots of violence.

• Upvote 1

New Rose Hotel - 2.5/5

I was unaware of this until doing a google of Abel Ferrera the other day, it’s an adaptation of one of my favourite William Gibson shorts so I was pleased to see it’s free on Amazon Prime.

Anyway, it’s not great, but well worth a watch if you love the story. To be honest though, if you don’t know the story I’d question if you could even follow it. Asia Argento, Willem Dafoe and Christopher Walken spend the running time either jawing or stripping off, and what little corporate extraction action there is happens on Network 7 style overlays onto Palm Vs.

It’s a modernist curio, and the sub-promo video stylings and 90s tech give it a nice touch of contemporary nostalgia, but hard to recommend to anyone except arthouse cyberpunk completists.

• Upvote 1

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood - 3/5. I didn't care much for the journalist or his problems, but Tom Hanks was his usual godly self.

Dark Waters - 3.5/5

A true story about a company's attempt to cover up the slow poisoning of a town in America for profit. Mark Ruffalo plays a lawyer who spends over 20 years of his figuring out and fighting for the townspeople. It's a story that definitely needs to be told and it's quite unsettling in places, but its interminably slow in places, even though that seems to be the point - justice is slow moving. Worth a watch.

• Upvote 2