rllmuk
Raoull duke

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Dark Waters
Courtroom/big pharma true story featuring the always good Mark Ruffalo as a lawyer going up against DuPont and the decades long poisoning of the land and people. shocking revelations of what has happened and you’ll probably be wanting to throw all your Teflon pans out after watching it.

Anne Hathaway felt miscast but it told it’s dour tale compellingly. Pretty shocking stuff really how corporate greed led to whole towns and family’s ruined.

3/5

• Upvote 2

Fast & Furious: Hobbs & Shaw

Totally-stupid, bants-filled action. I had fun; a definite guilty pleasure

3/5

• Upvote 2

Anna (2019).

Luc Besson tries (and fails) to capture some of the magic that made Leon: The Professional and La Femme Nikita so amazing.

The whole thing is slow, boring and unsexy.

Welsh Luke Evans doing a Russian accent but ends up sounding Irish. Irish actor Cillian Murphy doing an American accent and looking bored through the whole thing. Russian model Sasha Luss trying her best to act but coming across like an actual mannequin with no charisma.

Yeah, a big dud and not a patch on Atomic Blondie.

1.5 dispatched henchmen / 5.

Book of Life

Absolutely stunning! Gorgeous animation, fantastic performances, incredible covers of well known songs.

I loved it...and so did the boy.

5 fiestas / 5

• Upvote 2

On 24/02/2020 at 10:24, max renn said:

Amateur Alpaca farmer gets zapped by alien radiation with spectacular results.

:lol:

The Time Guardian (1987)

Okay, so this Aussie SF adventure has an epic feel initially and contrasts it well with the small outback town most of the film is set in, but it's all a bit muddled and sloppily directed, ultimately it fails to inspire the awe it demands. Carrie Fisher is wasted in this, spending most of her character's time out of action before an unceremonious send-off. Angry Anderson's lighters-in-the-air rock ballad over the credits was probably the most exciting thing about this, and that's saying something. Oh and the parts of the soundtrack that aren't orchestral are dreadful.

2/5

Knives Out

This was excellent!

The first half hour was a bit slow and static and I feared that the whole story would be delivered along the lines of that first act but, thankfully, it perked right up to become something very entertaining indeed. I am hopeless at deducing who the villain may or may not be in these Agatha Christie type 'a crime may have been committed' affairs so had no idea how it was going to pan out and, of course, I never saw the end coming. My favourite trick was:

Spoiler

...being lead to believe that the detective was totally missing all the clues and actually seemed a bit shite. Which I fell for until he suddenly puled all the rabbits out of the bag...

Also, I want to live in that house decorated exactly as it was in the film but, in the real world, I look forward to a re-watch with the benefit of knowing how it panned out.

4.5/5 

• Upvote 2

Rotten To The Core (1965)

Not-bad Boulting brothers crime caper comedy with a quality cast including Anton Rogers, Peter Vaughn and Charlotte Rampling in her underwear. It did take ages to get going with a lot to set up but once the big job was on the farce element livened things up. Personally I felt it didn't raise a smile in the same way as something like Two Way Stretch but despite the pacing this was mildly entertaining at the very least.

3/5

• Upvote 1

Queen and Slim

A black couple of a first date get pulled over by a cop. Things go badly and they end up killing the cop and going on the run. We follow them as they head across the American south, trying to escape the man and work out what they’re going to do.

I loved this. It looked and sounded amazing – full of beautiful landscapes and run down city environments. It reminded me a bit of the TV show Atlanta in that respect. The two leads are class and the support is excellent.

My favourite film so far this year I think.

4.5/5 (I’m not giving it full marks because they slightly fumble the ending)

The True History of the Kelly Gang

Another film that looks and sounds great. A very loose adaption of the famous Ned Kelly story. Directed by Justin Kurzel who made Snowtown and Macbeth which were both excellent and Assassins Creed.

This was fantastic. It had a real noisy energy to it, a fantastic cast (George Mackay, Russell Hoult, Russell Crowe, Thomasin McKenzie), great locations and a killer soundtrack. This was another film with some beautiful landscapes and some scuzzy city locations. And like Queen and Slim it’s a doomed love-story at it’s heart.

4.5/5

• Upvote 2

Emma. - 3/5

Never read the book, so cant speak of its quality as an adaptation, but as a film it’s lavishly designed, with charming performances throughout. Mischievous and breezily enjoyable.

Dark Waters - 3/5

Really solid legal drama. Reminded me of the bleak paranoia of the 1970s cinema I so enjoy. Mark Ruffalo is quietly excellent, bringing a dogged sense of morality as he fights a really quite shocking case.

• Upvote 1

Contagion

Even scarier watching it this time around seeing how it appears to be running through a real life checklist of behaviours and outcomes that are playing out in reality with COVID-19. I put us at around the 35min mark of the film by now.

5/5

• Upvote 3

White of the Eye 
(1987)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094320/

Sophisticated, intelligent and progressive psycho thriller about a controlling, gaslighting relationship. Ahead of its time and bang on prescient, with excellent performances across the board. A forgotten gem.

4/5

• Upvote 3

6 Underground.

If i had known it was a Michael Bay movie before hand, i would have avoided it like a room full of Corvid-19 victims.  Jesus fucking christ is awful. Turid, dull, pointless, full of plot holes, mind bendingly stupid and it makes no sense from start to finish. Also, having spent a week in Florence, the jump cuts around the city annoyed the hell out of me, tracking in car shots with a background of sweeping grass plains, then cut to driving past the Uffizi gallery and continuing the conversation. 

Gathering the team makes no sense, the premise makes no sense, the plot twist is stupid, and the mother in the old folks home is there for the weakest joke ever committed to celluloid

Utter tosh

-6 out of 5

• Upvote 3

Running with the Devil (2019)

I wrote a long post about this, then accidentally deleted it, so here's the summary: it's utter, utter shite.

0/5

• Upvote 2

I wondered what film that was, so looked on IMDB. Another Nicolas Cage movie. Surely by now he must be close to paying off that massive tax bill he had?

Upgrade

Blimey Charlie!! Moody, atmospheric, bloody violent sci-fi thriller action.

Some great cinematography and the soundtrack was great.

Logan Marshall-Green would make an awesome Joel in that TLOU TV series.

5 skill points / 5

• Upvote 4

Blastfighter (1984)

Weeeell lookie here, looks like we got ourselves an Italian Deliverance/Rambo First Blood-inspired action movie, yessir. Don't be fooled by the wholly inappropriate title, this is actually a pretty solid film that builds up to an exciting final half hour. Some rather nice cinematography, the forest setting looks great, with lots of good use of the setting. Add in a thumpin' soundtrack and you have yourself a really good watch, despite the annoying OTT rednecks.

4/5

• Upvote 2

I'm on a week off work this week so watching a load of films, just saying.

Anyway, so I watched a film from 1965 with Anton Rodgers in, spool forward 23 years...

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)

Quality 80s comedy with Michael Caine and Steve Martin as a couple of conmen out to get $50,000 from their mark in the south of France. Superb script with plenty of room for both tight plotting and physical comedy, most of that provided by Steve Martin still in his golden phase. Normally the two guys after the same woman kind of plot gets a bit tiresome but in this it's kept just silly enough to avoid the obvious trap; you couldn't really describe this a romantic comedy. Caine's 80s output was a wildly mixed bag with some absolute stinkers, but thankfully this is definitely one of the better ones. Superb stuff.

4/5

• Upvote 8

Dutch Girls (1985)

Notable as an early outing for Colin Firth, this is a good-natured if not exactly lol-worthy Brit comedy about a public school hockey team going to Holland to play a few games and hopefully get with some Dutch girls. Bill Patterson is great as the tragic coach, Timothy Spall who was already a star thanks to Auf Wedersein Pet at the time does a good turn as the merchant class kid at public school who just goes nuts (he was 28 at the time). This film has a place in my heart as it had some cache as a teenager as that film about them in Amsterdam: "eyes front, keep calm, don't panic" as they're walking through the red light district. Bill Patterson is great as the useless team coach trying to keep the boys on the straight and narrow. Whilst it aims for a base comedy about some boys wanting the girls initially it evens out to a more balanced coming of age drama later on. Worth the bother? I fear anyone under 30 might find this difficult to comprehend, but if you want a mildly entertaining comedy then this might fit the bill.

3/5

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Vimster said:

Dutch Girls (1985)

Notable as an early outing for Colin Firth, this is a good-natured if not exactly lol-worthy Brit comedy about a public school hockey team going to Holland to play a few games and hopefully get with some Dutch girls. Bill Patterson is great as the tragic coach, Timothy Spall who was already a star thanks to Auf Wedersein Pet at the time does a good turn as the merchant class kid at public school who just goes nuts (he was 28 at the time). This film has a place in my heart as it had some cache as a teenager as that film about them in Amsterdam: "eyes front, keep calm, don't panic" as they're walking through the red light district. Bill Patterson is great as the useless team coach trying to keep the boys on the straight and narrow. Whilst it aims for a base comedy about some boys wanting the girls initially it evens out to a more balanced coming of age drama later on. Worth the bother? I fear anyone under 30 might find this difficult to comprehend, but if you want a mildly entertaining comedy then this might fit the bill.

3/5

It'll be fine here on  rllmuk  so.

Doctor Sleep

Like a vampire movie but with people who eat the “steam” out of people who have the “shine”. It’s a load of old bollocks really. But the film does have it’s moments.

3 out of 5

The Hunt

I was prepared for this to be terrible, but it at least had some good moments. The main issue is that it's trying hard to bandwagon the likes of Get Out but the social commentary is delivered with a bludgeon emblazoned with the word 'satire' along the shaft.

In other words, it ain't subtle and the 'comedy' is the type to appeal to teenage Fortnite fans.

Yet there were some clever plot moments, some twists and a couple of good performances.

2.5/5

Knives Out (2019)

Absolutely brilliant. I'm also clueless when it comes to films, so I had no idea what was going to happen. However, the film sets things up brilliantly, and the denouement was well done (in particular the foreshadowed "in for a penny" scene). 

5/5

MAGIC 
(1978)
Dir: Richard Attenborough

A ventriloquist is at the mercy of his vicious dummy while he tries to renew a romance with his high school sweetheart.

What a fanfuckingtastically creepy little thriller this is. All about passion, obsession and schizophrenia. The isolation of it lends it a surreal quality and the performances are captivating. especially Anthony Hopkins as the ventriloquist trying to run away from himself. 

The scene where he tries to go 5 minutes without an episode is a masterclass in sustained heartbreaking tension.

(4/5)

• Upvote 3

The Invisible Man (2020)

it was pretty good I guess, though after reading the reviews, it was all a little underwhelming.

3/5

Cyber Bandits (1995)

Cheap and boring cyberpunk-ish nonsense that was frankly a huge slog. Martin Kemp struggled to hold his pointless American accent, Adam Ant out-acted him although does sod-all other than be chirpy. And I think Grace Jones was meant to be Japanese but I ceased caring long before the end. Really lame attempt.

1/5

Rage And Honor (1992)

Entertaining if somewhat unspectacular straight-to-video action involving the usual shit that was popular in the genre at the time: missing tape with evidence, dodgy cops dealing drugs, weird/charming baddie and a couple of good guys on the case, in this case Richard Norton and Cynthia Rothrock who make a likeable team. And with these two involved there's plenty of high-kicking, although it's very much American-style martial arts ie a poorly-shot/edited mix of kung-fu and wrestling; if you've experienced any of Rothrock's HK output you'll know this simply doesn't compare. And yet for all its flaws this does the job, it doesn't leave much of a lasting impression. Well okay, Baby, the down-and-out ex-stockbroker is pretty good, and there is some good comic relief.

3/5

• Upvote 1

Talking of Cynthia Rothock's HK output....

Above The Law (1986)

Simply awesome 80s Hong Kong action, a fantastic combination of top-notch hand-to-hand, driving stunts and a twisty plot that keeps you guessing until the real culprit emerges. And just when you think it's not going to get any more bonkers the ending trumps it. Cynthia Rothrock does the business here with some epic fights, no messing about, no bad editing, breathtaking stuff. Even thee humour in this is pretty good, the useless partner and his dad, and yet it all feeds into the plot.

5/5

Honestly when you compared to Rage And Honour, despite that being a not-bad effort, this just makes it look poor when it comes to action. Rothrock may have become the lead but it didn't do much for her skills.

• Upvote 2

Knives Out 4/5 

Really enjoyable, Rian’s bestfilm since Brick. 

• Upvote 1

Doctor Sleep

There's a really good Netflix series in there, loved all the stuff with the knot gang (Rebecca Ferguson especially) - but when it went full The Shining it's probably an understatement to say it paled in comparison. 

3 cans of steam out of 5