rllmuk
Raoull duke

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

19 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

Some oddly out of place soundtrack choices (also far too loud in relation the the dialogue) and one of the most comically bad fight scenes I have ever witnessed.

2.5 Skulls out of 5

Horses for courses, but to me it has some of the best music choices of any film, and the pool room right is sublime.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, pledge said:

Horses for courses, but to me it has some of the best music choices of any film, and the pool room right is sublime.

Yup. Mean Streets is 5/5, easily Scorsese’s best film. 

Furlough film club update.

Easter kind of got in the way, so only a couple of films watched. 

Rear Window (1954) Hitchcock at his height in Hollywood. We spy on voyeur James Stewart as he spies on the local neighbourhood from his rear window. Grace Kelly is utterly captivating, dismissing his suspicions at first then helping to solve the mystery. Tight, claustrophobic and tense. You're never quite sure who is watching who! Superb

5 flash bulbs out of 5

Withnail and I

Out of work actors escape London for a weekend in the country to recharge and try to avoid being molested by Uncle Monty. Is it okay to use homesexuality for comic effect if it's based on real life events ? Questionable politics today aside, this still has some of the most quotable lines ever committed to celluloid. Who hasn;t walked into a t least one tea shop and demanded "the finest wines known to humanity"?

I first watched this at university back in the day when student movies and drinking to excess was the order of the day. There's a drinking game you can play with this film, have a shot everytime Withnail has a drink. You'll be paralytic inside an hour. 

4 gins and pint of cider with ice in out of 5.

The great Gatsby 

Because it was late and as it turned out Sunday night quite by accident, we put this on fully intending to watch the first 20 minutes then go to bed.  2 hours 20 minutes later we watched the credits roll. Never having read the book, I didn't know the premise, but was fully engaged within the first 10 minutes, as the narrator unfolds the story of Gatsby and who the man really is. The last third of the film needs a lot of trimming, the trip into New York to set up the final comedown seemed to go on forever. But, overall I think it's another top draw Baz Luhrmann film. And if you want a song and dance number with hundreds of extras up a big staircase, Luhrmann is the director for you. Bright, super saturated, abstract, intimate and epic all at the same time. 

4.5 wives out of 5. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, ZOK said:

Yup. Mean Streets is 5/5, easily Scorsese’s best film. 

Raging Bull for me, but Mean Streets a very close second. 

Octopussy (1983)

Dirty old man tits about in India, employs some dodgy disguises and saves the day.

Much success!

4 James Brolin screentests out of 5.

The Living Daylights (1987)

Needlessly convoluted horseshit that aside from the action scenes, is dull as fuck.

Gets a point for exploding milk bottles and a bonus point for the theme song, but it's sad that John Barry's last Bond outing was this pish.

2/5

• Upvote 2

The Simpsons Movie

Never seen it before, yet more kudos to Disney Plus!  Really enjoyed it - plenty of laughs and amusing cameos.  And that pig shit silo.

4/5

Spiderman - Into the Spiderverse

I'm not going to enjoy this as much as I did the first time, am I?  It's not going to be one of those you can watch again and again, is it?

Erm...  yes I am and yes it is.  It's fucking beautiful.

5/5

Free Solo

Oh my god, this was the most intense thing I've seen in ages - up there with the final 3 minutes of Cardiff v Wolves in 2018.  An absolute must-see.

4/5

Ratatouille

Daughter's choice - smart arse rodent combines the art of puppetry and cooking.  Good fun - the small, evil chef dude looks exactly like one of my dad's old bosses from a few decades ago.

3.5/5 

The Avengers

Next instalment of the Marvel watch-a-thon with my kids.  I enjoyed this FAR more than I originally did - I'm finding this to be the case with all the Marvel films so far.  They're ace and this is a spectacular ensemble piece with a cool story.  Can't remember which one is next.  Iron Man 3?

4/5

Yesterday

Watched this...erm... Yesterday.  I absolutely love The Beatles so this appealed to me.  Yes, it's incredibly corny in places - too much so on occasions - but it's a nice, safe, feel good film and you know what?  With all this bullshit going on in the world, it's no bad thing to escape for a couple of hours with this sort of flick.  The Oasis gag made me chuckle - we enjoyed this a lot.  Pretty sure I read someone on here absolutely lambast this film as everything that's wrong with British cinema these days (can't remember who posted it and where) but I feel no guilt whatsoever at enjoying this - a neat idea, and filled with awesome Beatles songs.

4/5

• Upvote 4

The Nightingale

Colonial/Penal colony era cross country adventure in Van Diemen's Land. Second film from the director of The Babadook. I think it lost its way with 30 or so minutes to go, but would still definitely recommend it. Grim, brutal, and a little corny at times.

3.5/5

The Death Of Stalin (2017)

Armando Iannucci applies his unique style of comedy directing to events following the death of Josef Stalin in 1953, turning political intrigue into a loose farce with major players vying for position. It feels authentic to the time and events although I'm no scholar of history, but it doesn't really matter because the characters are so well-defined and the plot handled well you can just enjoy it for the very funny comedy this is, full of small touches here and there. Steve Buscemi and Jason Isaacs stood out for me, but performances were generally great. A unique and entertaining film.

4/5

• Upvote 1

Le Mans '66 (Ford v Ferrari)

Good Lord, I loved everything about this movie, as did my girlfriend, who generally couldn't give the slightest shit about motor racing. Christian Bale puts in possibly the best performance I've seen out of him as Ken Miles. Cannot recommend it enough.

5/5

• Upvote 7

Philadelphia - 5/5. I never hear this film mentioned, but for me it's possibly Tom Hanks' greatest performance. Springsteen's soundtrack is amazing too.

• Upvote 3

The Third man (1949) 

A man travels to post war Vienna to meet up with a old friend, who turns out to be dead. What follows, as the man tries to work out what happened, is the blueprint of film noir to this day. Weird camera angles, the dark back streets of bombed out Vienna, creepy European accents and stiff upper lipped Brits trying to fix europe.  Topped off with an ice cold Femme Fatale on the edge of a breakdown.  Orson Wells is superb as the shady american making a dishonest buck.

I absolutely adored this, a film i'd never watched from start to finish. My 15 year old boy who is going to film studies in september who has been brought up on a diet of Marvel and Star wars ... thought it was dull, weird and where had the colour gone. I despair for today's youth!! 

5 american cigarettes of out 5

• Upvote 7

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (1965)

Adaptation of John Le Carre's novel about a British spy (Richard Burton) who, when offered a desk job, spirals into drunkeness and alienation before getting involved in a plot to discredit his greatest enemy.

All the Le Carre tropes abound, clipped, sharp dialogue, intrigue, dense plotting and double crosses.  Burton is utterly magnificent as the titular Alec Leamus with able support from Clare Bloom and short, highly effective appearances from the likes of Robert Hardy, Michael Hordern, Sam Wanamaker and Bernard Lee.  Special mention for a great performance from Oskar Werner.

Wonderfully atmospheric, an appropriately melancholic score and brilliant performances.  If you like a good bit of Cold War subterfuge and have Amazon Prime, I can throughly recommend this.  (It also, I think, popped up on Talking Pictures TV recently.)

5/5

• Upvote 5

Race to Witch Mountain 

This starts of really really well with a good plot and decent performances from all concerned. But at about the 45 minute mark it starts to lose itself and generic scene follows generic scene. It's all about a taxi driver helping alien children save the planet. Unless you are aged 45-55 you probably won't be aware of the original movies from the 70s. 

3/5

Sneakers

One of my favourite films of all time. Loved it since seeing it at the cinema on release. A first rate cast that is uniformly excellent and  a cracking script and score. Its probably my favourite Redford performance as he is perfectly cast in the lead role. It's a great yarn about a hacking machine that can bypass any password on any system 

5/5

• Upvote 2

Jumanji next level

2 out of 5

It's just not got the heart of the first.  Theres no real jokes and it's clearly cobbled together when the first made good money.

Extraction - 4/5

Damn, I wasn't expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised. Just a great action film. 

Balls to the wall action with some amazing set pieces and cinematography.  It's clear the Russo brothers had a big hand in this one. 

• Upvote 1

Detective Pikachu 3/5

uh, Pokemon?

Sneakers 5/5

too many secrets

Star Trek Beyond 3/5

would have scored lower, the law of diminishing returns, but then it had that NCC-1701A time lapse at the end.

Knives Out

Style over substance. Weak ending. But still an enjoyable romp. 3/5.

Yesterday

Funny, corny, twee but lovely. And musically magnificent. 4/5.

Extraction

Thor and the Russo brothers do The Raid 2 in Bangladesh. Loved this. Excellent choreography, nice work from Hemsworth, and a good performance from the main kid. 4/5.

• Empathy 1

Fantasy Island - saw it advertised on the side of a bus

1/5 - shite and stupid

Onward - saw it advertised on the side of a bus

1.5/5  - charmless & boring, plus I’m so bored of Chris Pratt.

The Hunt - it was on the front page of a streaming site

2/5 - I didn’t like it and it wasn’t good but it was the best of a bunch of turds.

The Perished - it was on the front page as well.  As you can see, I’m not picky when I’m looking for background noise.

2/5 - it had a gross monster and everyone was depressed just like real life.  

i promise I will try to watch better films.

Slashers - very low budget exploitation gorefest that is like The Running Man if Slipknot were in charge. Some fun ideas and considering the shoestring budget it was decent enough despite some poor acting. 

3 Skulls out of 5

Nekrotronic - Another low budget effort, but this time it was a cross between Ghostbusters and The Frighteners with dashes of many other films. Not an original bone in it's body and pretty dull. 

2 Skulls out of 5

Thor Ragnarok

Again. Disney+ on my new OLED. It's stunning. 5/5

My favourite Marvel film.

Up

Again on Disney+ on my new telly.

The starting montage gets me every single time. It always makes me cry. It's beautiful to look at and has real soul. It's top tier Pixar.

5/5

Cars 2

Urghhhhh. I hate cars.

2/5

The Servant 5/5

This Joseph Losey flick is on MUBI, it’s a beautiful piece of Sixties film making, every shot is pretty much perfect, plus a great story about people fucking with each other’s heads for domestic dominance into the bargain.

Love and Mercy 4/5

This was on BBC2 (I think) last night so probably on iplayer. Cracking biopic about the lives of younger and older Brian Wilsons. The younger story is the better half, with some uncanny performances, but the older half is just great too. Paul Giamitti’s Dr Eugene Landy is a real treat.

• Upvote 3

Birds Of Prey

I don't think this reviewed very well, did it? I liked it, it was a bit of lightweight fun. 

The plot was a bit non existent, but there was some good action and a couple of good performances in there - I thought Margot Robbie and Ewan McGregor were particularly good, as was Ewan's sidekick.

Nothing amazing, but still good.

3 bad guys getting kicked in the nuts (this happens a lot) out of 5

Knives out 4/5. Decent whodunnit. Great cast. 

The Queen's Corgi  0/5

It's so so horrible. Within the first 20 mins there is a dog rape scene and President Trump and a "Grab them by the puppy" joke. It's meant to be a kids movie.

Bad Education -4/5

True story about the biggest embezzlement in school history. 

Just a fantastic story and maybe the best performance of Hugh Jackmans career according to most critics. (I still think Prisoners is his best work though)

Getting a lot of Oscar buzz right now and I can see him winning best actor Oscar with Allison Janey getting best supporting actress. 

(I still think Ben Affleck in The Way Back has had the best performance I have seen this year though)

Next film.....Swallow. 

I have heard some interesting things, not sure I will be able to make it through it. 

It aired on HBO, has it had a theatre run to make it eligible for the Oscars? It might win some Emmy

The Gentlemen (2020)

This is the kind of stuff that Guy Ritchie does best and whilst its not as good or gritty as LSATSB or Snatch (those are a high bar tbf) it was great fun and really entertaining. Hugh Grant and Colin Farrell were brilliant and even Charlie Hunnam was decent. Liked it a lot more than I was expecting too.

4/5

• Upvote 2

Bestie Boys Story - 5/5

This is on Apple TV, and is the filmed two man show of Ad-Rock and Mike D telling the story of The Beastie Boys, directed by Spike Jones. It’s fantastic. They’re both great story tellers, and the whole thing is done without being at all pretentious. It’s very funny, honest, and of course a moving tribute to the late Adam Yauch. Definitely had a bit of dust in my eye towards the end.

Three Days of the Condor

Somehow, I'd never seen it before but it certainly turned out to be a nice little slice of 70s paranoia film making. I loved the premise of Robert Redford popping out to lunch via the backdoor and coming back to the office to find everyone's been machine gunned to bits (possibly a situation some of us may have actually fantasied about on occasion), with his terror and paranoia leaving him unsure how best to proceed.

It's light on action and heavy on folks talking in smokey looking rooms with awful decor, so classic 70s. Faye Dunaway appears as an unfortunate woman dragged into events and honestly in today's terms, her role in things feels highly awkward and problematic, I can't imagine it'd fly today in the event of a remake. She is wonderful though, from '67 to '79 she was basically Empress of the Screen in my eyes, and she's great here as someone vulnerable and completely in over their head but getting on regardless. Redford is good too, playing a novice having to learn the rules of the game and watching his back at every turn. However, the star of the show is the recently departed Max von Sydow as an experienced freelancer who crosses paths with Redford's amateur on more than one occasion. His Joubert is unassuming yet quietly shines whenever he's in the frame, pure class.

So yes, a cracking little 70s thriller, albeit with a ludicrous premise that the good ol' CIA would murder its own people and secretly plot to destabilise Arab nations in order to claim their oil. As if.

Never Enough Faye Dunaways/5

• Upvote 6