rllmuk
Raoull duke

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

On 26/04/2020 at 01:06, Ry said:

Extraction - 4/5

Damn, I wasn't expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised. Just a great action film. 

Balls to the wall action with some amazing set pieces and cinematography.  It's clear the Russo brothers had a big hand in this one. 

I liked this a lot more than I should have, especially for the fact that it was directed by a stunt coordinator!!!

Some of the action out-John Wick's John Wick and the chase scenes are also incredible.  Fat Thor does a great job too.

10/10 for action, 6/10 for plot and characterisation.  A solid 8 all round. 

TESB 5/5

Ant-Man 4/5

BTTF2 4/5

BTTF3 3/5

• Upvote 1

Midsommar 

Wow! An absolute masterpiece of modern film making. I'll whisper this, but 

Spoiler

I think it's better than The Wicker Man

5/5

Sinister

I thought I would go back to this after discovering it was by the same director as Doctor Strange. Much better the second time round, let down slightly by a rushed ending.

4/5

Vampire in Brooklyn

A very odd movie. Starring Murphy with Craven directing. It doesn't really know if it wants to be a horror or a comedy. Still, it was refreshing to see a black cast in a horror(ish) movie rather than the usual white cast we get in these things. Murphy really tries but you could tell he was desperate for another hit and was seeing what would work. 

3/5

• Upvote 4

Ladybird.  

Late to this particular party but I really liked it.  All of it was so imperfect, and stop start.  Like teenage life I guess.

Some really warm characters in there (I liked all the Nuns and the Priests) and a brilliant set of performances from Saoirse Ronan and Laurie Metcalf whose relationship was dysfunctionally loving.  

Ended on just the right level of warmness.

4/5.

• Upvote 2

21 Bridges

Black Panther is a cop, as is J. Jonah Jameson. Some coke gets nicked, things go sideways, something something 21 bridges. The 21 bridges appears to be this big thing early in the film and then it kind of gets forgotten. Some decent action. Has a nineties feel to it.

An enjoyable 3 out of 5.

• Upvote 1

What we do in the shadows.

NZ vampire comedy featuring some, among other, better known kiwi actors , Clement and Waititi, playing vampires as they negotiate the mundane of everyday (night) life. Low key and lots of irreverent humor, for some reason I disliked this on my 1st watch but after seeing it again think it's fantastic. The beef with the werewolves is brilliant and there's lots of lovely touches that add to the overall absurdity.

4/5

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, lolly said:

What we do in the shadows.

NZ vampire comedy featuring some, among other, better known kiwi actors , Clement and Waititi, playing vampires as they negotiate the mundane of everyday (night) life. Low key and lots of irreverent humor, for some reason I disliked this on my 1st watch but after seeing it again think it's fantastic. The beef with the werewolves is brilliant and there's lots of lovely touches that add to the overall absurdity.

4/5

I've been catching up with the TV series of this the last few days as it happens. It's pretty good, basically more of the same with Clement and Waititi behind the camera and Toast of London (Matt Berry) being one of a trio of vampires failing to take over Staten Island in New York. Worth a watch if you like the film.

• Upvote 1

The wife has decided to watch all of the star wars films in number order (which is just so wrong :wacko: )

I refused to watch the prequels, and when i explained about the walking and talking and walking and talking and sitting and talking she told me to piss off.

Anyway, I didn't have the heart to watch Solo, so picked it up at 

Rogue One 

Still head and shoulders the best of the new films. It shits all over the rise of starwalker and the last jedi slowly being chased through space for reasons. 

I love the fact there are no Jedi, no starwalkers, the quips come from a bloody big robot. It feels like it's set in a police state and the director understood that a big old set is better than a CGI hanger with nothing in it. Its gritty, real, emotional and has the death star moon rise which is an amazing shot. Ok sure there are too many characters, the quasi Jedi  and his minder are there just for a blind man to shoot a moving target and make mystical statements. And the CGI Leia is a bit Meh. But i don't mind that, it's done enough good stuff by that point, that its ok.

The thing is, it doesn't feel like its desperately trying to make me like it, it's not overly fan servicey or full of shit they can turn into merchandise. It's what the sequel trilogy should have been like.

A solid Red 5 out of 5

• Upvote 3

It Chapter One

An absolutely masterful adaptation of (part) of King's best work (and one of my top 5 novels of all time). What works best is the incredibly talented young cast who are pretty much all excellent. If I was to offer up a criticism it would be that there is a slightly worrying under development of Mike's character which is a little worrying considering he's the only non-white person  in the movie. Still, as everything else is pretty much perfect I wont complain.

Like every other person I know in RL I loved this and haven't seen Chapter 2 because it reviewed so badly.

5/5

Dracula Untold

Dracula meets GOT. A great central performance from the always reliable Luke Evans (despite being in some massive blockbusters I doubt people even in the UK could name him in a pub quiz). I must admit I thought this was a fair bit better than its reputation would suggest. A decent length with good action scenes. Could have done with more Charles Dance but that's a criticism I could level at pretty much every movie.

4/5

Family Blood

I knew my run of good horror movies would come to an end. Think of Let the Right One In but without any of the wit or imagination. Avoid this like the plague if you happen across it on Netflix. Its pure excrement.

0/5

• Empathy 1

Men in Black International - 2/5

As undemanding as a cactus. Tessa Thompson and Chris Hemsworth bring some of their Thor: Ragnarok chemistry but not much. Story happens, credits roll, life goes on.

1 hour ago, glb said:

Men in Black International - 2/5

As undemanding as a cactus. Tessa Thompson and Chris Hemsworth bring some of their Thor: Ragnarok chemistry but not much. Story happens, credits roll, life goes on.

The gun car is the only thing I can remember about that film. It was bilge.

15 hours ago, Bucky said:

The gun car is the only thing I can remember about that film. It was bilge.

Yeah it’s mostly forgettable. Glad it was on in the background during a rainy afternoon.

Avengers: Endgame - 4/5

Rewatched this last night. What a benchmark in providing a hugely-entertaining, dense, emotional, satisfying, (mostly) crowd-pleasing finale to a much-loved series of films. There’s a case to be made for Infinity War being the better part cinematically, but Endgame is a terrific blockbuster that absolutely romps along towards a surprisingly touching finale. Wonderful stuff.

• Upvote 1

Maximum Risk (1996)

Not classic Van Damme but decent nonetheless with a spectacular opening chase in the south of France and some great fights mixed in with a mild noir-style mystery where JCVD has to impersonate his twin to find out who was behind his death. HK action director Ringo Lam does a great job on the action, although some of the rest feels a bit plodding in places. This was from a time where the Russian mob wasn't quite as well-worn as it is now, and it's fair to say they play the cliches up. 

3/5

• Upvote 1

Eli (2019) - Netflix

Expected this to be not very good but the trailer looked at least interesting. Was very surprised to find a good story, though you might not know this early on as it goes through the haunted house tropes. Luckily it was interesting enough to keep you watching, and just as you're sitting there patting yourself on the back saying "called it!", it pulls the mother of all twists on you! Mental, enjoyable. 3.5/5

21 Bridges

A strong start with some exhilarating gunfights early on and a nice almost  Batman-esque atmosphere as we drive and dive around dodgy dark alleys and side streets of Manhattan, but then it just squanders the whole ‘21 bridges’ story in which they shut the city down  - and the whole thing grounds to a halt less than an hour in and then goes nowhere. 

Nice action and photography, pretty cheesy script and under developed characters, no real threat or menace despite totally acceptable performances from the cast. 

Disappointing.

2/5

14 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

The Gentlemen

The 90s called. They want their movie back.

2 out of 5

I had never watched a proper Guy Ritchie film before that one (I did watch Sherlock Holmes but that doesn't count), so I really enjoyed it.

And on that score:

Snatch

Overly stylised load of nonsense that is almost like someone gave a bunch of Sixth Formers a few million quid to spunk on a film. Brad Pitt's Irish accent is hilarious, Statham looks exactly like Statham. Surprise appearance from Mike Reid, but no 'Paaaaaaaaaaat!' or revolving bow tie. But because it's only my second Ritchie gangster film, this style of filmmaking hasn't got old for me yet. Plus I liked the 90s soundtrack a lot. I thought it was going to be really violent, but tbh it was really tame on that score. An enjoyable bunch of crap, featuring loads of actors who have since gone on to be famous for many things (perhaps they were at the time too but I dunno... Statham was well down the bill for what was pretty much the lead role). Should probably watch Lock Stock at some point!

3.5/5

Rocknrolla

I saw this years ago and my missus basically talked all the way through it , pretty much just repeating a variation on "this is shit" over and over.

Watched it again and it's actually pretty good. Stellar cast, the usual twists and turns and interlinking stories. Loads of style.

4/5

Rise of the Footsoldier (all of them)

Can't believe they managed to stretch gangsters from shiholeville, Essex out for four films, but they did and I watched them all over three days. So you don't have to.

First off, Craig Fairbrass is fucking ace in these. Just an awful, awful character. But in a good way. He's just a complete cunt from Essex. But there is literally not a single likeable character in any of these films.

Speaking of which, no-one says "cunt" that frequently, do they? Even in Essex?

Essentially it's four films about the trials and tribulations of a bunch of Essex drug dealers, based on a true story that ended with three of them getting shotgunned to death on a farm track in Essex.

It's all very violent and all a bit grim. And all slightly ridiculous when there's lines like "if we play our cards right, we'll be top dogs in Southend and Basildon!" Both of which are in Essex, evidently.

I've tried to watch the first film a couple of times and given up, but stuck with it this time. It's the over done "football hooligan becomes a gangster" bollocks. Though it's pretty much all true. In Essex. It's alright. 3 facking cants /5

The second one is odd, because it's basically the origin story of the main character from the first film. It just goes over what happened first time around and it has a really abrupt end, but not like "bang everyone's dead!" abrupt, just it suddenly stops. Presumably because it catches up with present day in Essex. 2 muggy cants /5

The third one is the origin story of the more interesting and very dead Craig Fairbrass character. The very definition of an anti hero, he's just a shitbag tthroughout. But it's actually quite interesting to see what is almost entirely the true story of someone who had a fairly decent career out of just twatting people in Essex. It's also got a couple of random cameos from Big Narsty and Shaun Rider. In Essex. Probably the best of the bunch 4 diamond geezers /5 cants

The fourth film ditches the thin veneer of the true story the previous films were based in and just goes for unbelievable bollocks. It's entertaining enough, but not really worth watching because, with the first three films you kinda go "I can't believe these people actually existed" whereas with this one, you just go "I can't believe any of this". And it's not in Essex, it's in Marbella. 3 dopey cants /5

The thing is with these films is that you can see the target audience. The kind of people who wish they were smashing up an away end with Danny Dyer in the 80s but, when you actually look beyond the hookers (that definitely didn't look like that in real life) and blow, you're left with a bunch of unlikable cunts who are big fish in a very small pond in the arse end of Britain. Their lives are actually all a bit grim. In Essex. It's funny that Shaun Rider is in one of them because, if these lumps had have tried this shit in Manchester at the time he was at his zenith (or in Liverpool a couple of years later), they would have been eaten alive. 

I've watched them, now you don't have to. You facking cants!

• Upvote 8

The Blonde Fury aka Female Reporter (1989)

HK action starring Cynthia Rothrock as an agent posing as a reporter investigating counterfeit money. It takes a fair while to get going, you have to sit through a lot of that Hong Kong slapstick before the action literally kicks in. And the fights in this are truly phenomenal. It's just a shame there's a bit too much of the humour to make this a classic for me. But it's well worth it for the fight scenes and finale.

3/5

• Upvote 3

The Plagues of Breslau (2018) - Netflix

Dodgy start! Going on the opening I thought we'd be in for a rough ride with this one. Bit cheap and emo, the lead seemed to be delivering her lines form inside a bucket on her head or something. Really muffled, self consciously cool and painfully trying to be Hollywood. But then it seems to gain a bit of confidence and improves a lot. I can imagine many folks giving up at the 20 minute mark, but don't! It develops into a strong story (and twist) all told and was very surprising. We ended up quite liking it but then I am all for films with strong ideas. I'll take that any day over dross like Rise of the Skywalker.  Quite horrific in places so be warned.

I'd say a 3 out of 5.

Bad Education (2020)

Low key but fascinating story of a Long Island School Superintendent, embezzlement and a high school reporter who won’t stop digging for the truth.

Hugh Jackman delivers one of his best performances ever in this, full stop. He actually makes you believe he’s a bad dancer, which is some Oscar-worthy acting imo. 

4/5 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Rise of the Footsoldier (all of them)

[snip]

I've watched them, now you don't have to. You facking cants!

Great work! Now go watch the other movies -- Essex Boys, The Fall of the Essex Boys, Essex Boys: Retribution, Essex Boys: Law of Survival, and some other one called Bonded by Blood -- so we don't have to. You cant!

Calm With Horses

Low key Irish gangster movie about a punch-drunk boxer working an as enforcer for a crime family set in a small Irish town. He's trying to balance gangster life, family life and find a future for his autistic son.

I thought this was really impressive. Nicely shot and acted, some great scenes and a well-earned, grim ending. Barry Keoghan and Cosmo Jarvis are particularly good and the Irish support cast are excellent.

4/5

• Upvote 2

The Brood 5/5

Never heard of this 1979 Cronenberg flick before, we picked it while flicking through the BFI Player on a Friday night whim and it delivered in spades. A cracking horror movie about Oliver Reed’s unusual psychotherapeutic modality manifesting his clients’ rage. Touches all the usual Cronenberg beats at the same time as being pure schlock, spot on filmmaking that achieves the elusive horror feat of being genuinely scary in parts. Loved it.

• Upvote 4

The Ninth Configuration.

Odd film from the writer of The Exorcist. Stars a much younger Hershel from Walking Dead and Stacey Keach, sans ‘tache. The film came alive during the last 40 minutes. Felt like a bit of a slog to get there, wading through a lot of “mental illness is funny” movie tropes.

3 out of 5

6 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

Essex Boys: Retribution

I actually started watching this. Weirdly, the same actor plays the same character as he did in Rise of the Footsoldier. It's awful, though. Really bad.

The original Essex Boys is actually pretty good. It has Sean Bean playing the Craig Fairbrass character from RotF, but with a Sheffield accent.

The best thing about Rise of the Footsoldier was this banger

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

Calm With Horses

Low key Irish gangster movie about a punch-drunk boxer working an as enforcer for a crime family set in a small Irish town. He's trying to balance gangster life, family life and find a future for his autistic son.

I thought this was really impressive. Nicely shot and acted, some great scenes and a well-earned, grim ending. Barry Keoghan and Cosmo Jarvis are particularly good and the Irish support cast are excellent.

4/5

I watched this on your recommendation. I thought the acting was fantastic. Arm (especially), Dympna, Ursula and both Uncles were great. Completely believable and incredible presence and tension.

But.... I cant think of a film in recent memory that made me feel so uncomfortable. It is a grim, unforgiving and sad film. At times I was equal parts glued to the screen and also wanting it to end so I could look away. Im going to raise your 4/5 and say-

4.75/5

• Upvote 1