Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

23 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Alita: Battle Angel

Doesn’t have an ending...

2.5/5

15 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Alita 2/5

looks good, but plays like a weird mashup of Speed Racer, AI and Bicentennial Man, with a shit ending.

Is there any reason you've both watched it so closely together? Has it just been added to one of the streaming services?

Just now, Nick R said:

Is there any reason you've both watched it so closely together? Has it just been added to one of the streaming services?

sky movies, last night.

i have a nowTV pass.

Scoob! (2020)

I liked how this was a mash up of Scooby Doo with other Hanna-Barbera characters (although I hated this version of Captain Caveman, who sounded like he was from the inner city) but overall it wasnt great and felt very by written by committee. Some of the jokes just didnt land, felt too try hard ("hey guys, let's make a Tinder joke, how hilarious") and the charm they were going for just didnt land with me at all, other than one moment right near the end. However having said that, I'm all in for more Dick Dastardly and Muttley. Give me a Wakey Races film now Warner Brothers.

Why is Simon Cowell still a thing in kids movies in 2020?

2/5

True History of the Kelly Gang

I can't remember the last time a new movie had me utterly transfixed for 2 hours. Bizarre, captivating, and craziest of all, based on a true story.

Looking for fault but i'm still kinda shell-shocked, so i'm gonna say:

5/5 

Showdown in Little Tokyo (1991)

White Samurai Cop Dolph Lundgren teams up with new partner Brandon Lee and pursues the nasty Yakuza man who killed his parents. Fucking abominable. The movie has been hacked into 76 minutes with a pair of garden shears, but we aren't in botched masterpiece territory here. Uninspiring action, zero chemistry between Lundgren and Lee, painfully flat humour. Not even amusingly bad, just utterly worthless.

1/5

Hellboy (2019)

Neil Marshall doing a reboot of Hellboy, I was at the very least interested. And whilst the story was sufficiently epic the execution, with Hellboy caught between both sides to an extent being an interesting facet, sadly, just didn't hit the mark. CGI has come a long way, and whilst it was impressive technically, here it felt weightless, a jarring clash between PS3 cutscene and real film. It got better towards the end, the music would swell and creatures got thrown around and stone fell and it was all pretty metal, but the biting humour wasn't there, it felt like an adjunct rather than a feature. Didn't know the cat guy does the voice of the legend that is Johnny Gat from Saints Row, plus points there. Milla Jovovch and Steven Graham did decent turns. It was entertaining enough, but comparisons will always be made to del Toro's Hellboy 2 and frankly that is a very hard act to follow.

2/5

Star Wars. 4/5. Haven't seen it in years, decades even. This version had all the latest fuckery incorporated - the dodgy 90s CGI from the Special Editions seems embarrassingly obvious, and when Greedo inexplicably yelled "MACLUNKEY!" everyone fell about laughing - but it's still a fun film. The scenes on Tatooine seemed to go on for longer than I remembered and the musical cues are hilariously unsubtle but once the action moved to the Death Star and then the Rebel assault the pace didn't let up. I'm never going to be a huge fan of these movies but you can't deny they're good entertainment.

4 hours ago, Sabreman said:

Showdown in Little Tokyo (1991)

White Samurai Cop Dolph Lundgren teams up with new partner Brandon Lee and pursues the nasty Yakuza man who killed his parents. Fucking abominable. The movie has been hacked into 76 minutes with a pair of garden shears, but we aren't in botched masterpiece territory here. Uninspiring action, zero chemistry between Lundgren and Lee, painfully flat humour. Not even amusingly bad, just utterly worthless.

1/5

and  tia carerra’s body double

On 07/05/2020 at 14:40, ZOK said:

I just found it on YouTube!

Okay, this is properly crazy. Doesn’t really make any sense, and visually magnificent throughout. @Vimster described it perfectly above so I won’t even try. Great recommendation! 4/5

Bridge of Spies

Tom Hanks does a decent Tom Hanks while Spielberg sprinkles some American sentimentalism onto a dumbed down John Le Carre story by the Coen brothers. Perfectly acceptable and great production values (and the sort of thing I was in the mood for last night) but not a masterpiece. I found reading the wiki pages about the real character/incidents/period just as interesting after the credits rolled and it made me want to go back and watch The Lives of Others again. Excellently nuanced performance by Mark Rylance though.

3/5

Never Rarely Sometimes Always

The new film from the director of the excellent Beach Rats, that came out a few years ago. It's about a young girl traveling from her home state into New York to get an abortion because it's not allowed where she's from. 

I thought this was really impressive but a pretty tough watch. It's about a teenage girl trying to get an abortion but in reality it's about the difficulties women face in every aspect of their day to day existence. The acting from the two leads is excellent, it has a great naturalist filming style and a real heart. 

4.5/5

Teen Titans go to the Movies 4/5

not exactly high art, but it knows the source material, and expands on it. It appeals to my sense of humour.

Star Wars RotJ 4/5

the best of the worst star wars films, or something. I mean, compared to the prequel trilogy it's a 5/5, and compared to the sequel trilody it's a 5/5. Just being in the same trilogy as TESB and ANH, you know?

Robocop 5/5

I'd buy that for a dollar.

River’s Edge

Much closer to my adolescent experience than the 80’s movies I adored (John Hughes), Crispin Glover dials it up to 11 while Keane Reeves and the girl from Say Anything bring a little glamour. Dennis Hopper meets his match with the film’s other crazy. A true hidden 80’s gem.

4/5

The Town (2010)

A heist movie starring Ben Affleck. This was recommended to me by the internet, so I should have known better. Character motivation is sketchy and perplexing throughout and is not helped by Affleck playing his 'loveable' rogue type (he is an absolute dick from beginning to end and has zero redeemable features, perhaps with the exception of possessing a square jaw). There's some ok action bits I suppose but I could never get over the gang living in relative squalor all their lives despite being successful at their heisting. Plus they only seem to rob banks and armoured guard trucks on their doorstep. John Hamm is in it playing an FBI agent who is rubbish at his job. An extra point for general laughable daftness.

2/5

Marriage Story

Brilliant, potentially career-best performances from Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson are the highlight of an excellent film that delves deep into the meaning of love and marriage.  A real roller coaster of emotions.  Loved this.

4.5/5

A Serial Killer's Guide To Life

A very odd British dark comedy about a lonely woman who goes on a road trip with her life coach - who just so happens to be a serial killer.  This didn't really work for me, I'm not sure it knows what it's supposed to be.  Nice cameo appearance from Alex Hunter from FIFA though.  Nothing really to recommend here, I'm afraid.

2.5/5

Thor: Dark World

Every single MCU film I've seen in this run through has been better the 2nd time round and this was no exception.  It's probably one of the weakest in the series but it's still not bad.  I don't think it helps that Ragnarok was so much better, but there are a few too many dud secondary characters and the plot is a bit ropey.  Enjoyed Christopher Ecclestone's cool baddy mind you.

3/5

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I really don't know why I didn't enjoy this that much the first time I saw it because it's very good.  A LOT happens in this particularly with regards to the MCU series as a whole, but it runs at a frantic pace, there are some great plot twists and it looks ace.  Oh, and the Samuel L Jackson Pulp Fiction easter egg at the very end is one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

4/5

Adult Life Skills

About as different from the previous films as it's possible to get, Jodie Whittaker is superb as an introverted woman trying to sort her life out.  It's sad and heartwarming.

3.5/5

Guardians of the Galaxy

The kids LOVED this.  As did I - such a good, fun film - the time flew by watching this.

4/5

The Wrong Missy

A guy invites the wrong girl to a work residential in Hawaii.  Instead of the girl of his dreams who he randomly meets at an airport, he texts a previous date who is an absolute nightmare.  And obvs, hilarity ensues.  

A lot of people will HATE this - I guess I was just in a good mood so I found it quite fun, though it doesn't help that the annoying girl really reminds me of an ex of mine (albeit diluted down a lot).  Plenty of nob gags and slapstick to suffice if you want a silly film to put on one evening.  

3/5

Ready Player One

I had already read the book months ago but wasn't interested in the film as I'd heard it was disappointing in comparison, but it's available on Prime Video so whatever. To be honest, I think knowledge of the book kind of taints the film experience, because the book at least has time to breathe whereas this moves so quickly that some things feel like they don't have much impact or consequence. Also, the key hunt stuff starts almost immediately here whereas there's a lot more backstory and build-up that the book's able to do, so the book feels less rushed as a result. It's perfectly "fine" as a movie but feels a bit shallow and hurried.

2.5/5

Black Swan - 4/5

I remember seeing this when it first came out and absolutely loving it. Rewatching it now, I realised I had forgotten some of the wooden dialogue, heavy-handedness (the dance instructor is basically just a constant narrator) and how it occasionally verges on silly.

I still thoroughly enjoyed it though. It's campy and overblown but is completely committed to it, and at its best it's utterly captivating. The last 15-20 minutes or so are exceptional and Natalie Portman puts in a career-best performance whether you believe she really did most of that dancing or not. Not quite as fantastic as I remembered but still very good.

Been revisiting some Aussie movies because of that David Stratton thing on BBC4:

Picnic at Hanging Rock - 5/5

Pure and magical.

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert - 5/5

Pure magic.