IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

Elizabeth Harvest

Moon did it better but this does have Carla Gugino doing a English accent to make up for it

3/5 

G.I. Joe: Retaliation 

They wipe out 90% of the team (and so previous cast) in 10 minutes, it’s even more brutal than the notorious TF: The Movie first act massacre, leaving just Roadblock, Jaye, Flint, Snake Eyes and Jinx to hold the fort. Cobra cause unilateral nuclear disarmament and drop an orbital kinetic spear on London, proving yet again that they are the true heroes of the series. Bruce Willis turns up playing the OG G.I. Joe and has a lot of guns in his kitchen. Imma giving it 4/5 purely for actually getting Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow perfectly, and for casting such a cool and pretty guy as Storm Shadow. But I’m also docking it a point because RZA’s dialogue delivery as the Blind Master is mind bogglingly bad beyond all comprehension.

3/5

Superman IV: The Quest For Peace

As bad as I remember, but if faced with the choice of watching this or Man of Steel of again, I'd choose Quest For Peace. A simplistic view of the nuclear arms race, even Superman admits at the end that we won't get anywhere until governments stop being a bunch of cunts.

1/5

Childs Play 2019

Very different take on the original Childs Play.  Had a really odd tone to it, it seemed to be a kids movie at times (channeling stranger things at times) but there was also a lot of gore. It wasn't really scary, more creepy. The new Chucky looked creepy AF. Mark Hamill voiced him okay but i don't get why they would give a toy meant for kids a 60+ year old voice.

well, unless the programmer changed his voice i guess... i don't think you get to hear a chucky voice otherwise during the movie).

Overall, it was worth a watch but i doubt i'd rush back anytime soon to see it.

2.5/5

On 10/09/2019 at 11:56, SeanR said:

I was THIS close to saying something. I even checked the IMDB to see when "Indiana Jones and the" was appended to the title of the film, the 1999 video release, etc etc... nd that's only cos I was already rabbit holing Ronald Lacey. In an earlier thread some one expressed surprise that gestapo officer todt, and harris in porridge, are the same actor.

Well, he's ALSO the guy who killed Hopkirk, in Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased).

And The Baby Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells in Blackadder II. He popped his clogs not long after that I think.

The Big Short  4/5

I really enjoyed this film, and it was nice to watch Ryan Gosling where he actually spoke some dialogue.

Spotlight 3.5/5

This was okay I guess, though my mind was wandering by the end of it.

Moneyball 5/5

I fucking love this film, and as soon as I saw Netflix had it in 4k, I just had to watch again for what must be about the 20th time. Jonah Hill should have won the Oscar this his sublime and understated performance.

Batman and Harley Quinn

Conroy as Batman is about as normal as this gets. I never thought I’d see a movie where HQ gets the farts in the Bat-mobile or where she jiggles her tits while singing Hangin on the telephone on karaoke. But I have now. This is excellent and is another great DC animated movie (they’ve been on a role with these things for awhile now)

4.5/5

Aladdin (remake). Took my daughter to see this and while it didn't need to be made it was an entertaining couple of hours. Will Smith was good value as the genie (barring a couple of flat musical numbers) and the cast was generally likeable. The slower songs were the lowlight with a couple of cringy x factor light efforts, but a win for the stylish direction of Guy Ritchie. 

3 and a half Skuls out of 5. 

Stan and Ollie - 5/5

Im a huge sucker for sentimentality in movies and this one really got me in the feels. A very loving portrayal of two lifelong friends, interspersed with some brilliant physical comedy. And Steve Coogan wasn’t playing himself or Alan Partridge! Seriously though I thought both he and John C Reilly were excellent in their respective roles. Very touching and definitely one I’ll go back to again when I’m feeling sentimental. 

On 09/09/2019 at 11:29, SeanR said:

Muppet Treasure Island 5/5

much like the carry on films, I think the muppets work best when parodying existing fictions*. Not Tim Currys best role, but you know... “it’s my only number”.

* See also: muppet Christmas carol

I’d say The Muppets (2011) is their best by far. Laugh-out-loud funny, brilliant songs and not a parody of existing material. 

And an Automatic Destroy Plumbing Business button. 

Detective Pikachu 3/5

Very undemanding watch, but surprisingly enjoyable (I know next to nothing about Pokemon). Would have liked more Ryme City / contrasting neon and noir stuff but it still rattled along at a decent lick.

The Hustle 2/5

Wasn’t expecting too much from a remake of an at best half-decent comedy, and while Rebel Wilson threatens to be funny on occasion, there just isn’t much chemistry with Anne Hathaway. Maybe Sandra Bullock would have worked a bit better. Inoffensive but ultimately pointless.

The Titchfield Thunderbolt -4/5

50's gentle comedy about a small British village trying to save it's ailing railway against a scheming bus company. My other half loves this film and while it's enjoyable, it's completely ridiculous. 

Source Code 

Didn't really click with this at all. It all fine and everything but I couldn't really commit to either the concept or the tension. Felt like the second worst episode in a series of Black Mirror. 

2/5

Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom

Couldn't really remember much about this, so it actually felt like i was watching it for the first time. 

It's an enjoyable movie, but i found the tone was definitely more horror later into the movie than Raiders. Also, the woman in this was really annoying - she seemed to be screaming all the time. It's also quite cheesy in places and whilst people complain about the fridge in Crystal Skulls, the part where they fall over the cliff was laughable IMO.

So,  yeah like i said it's enjoyable but i imagine it's going to be the weakest out of the first three movies once i have seen the last crusade.

3/5