rllmuk
Raoull duke

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

1 hour ago, kempstar said:

This post triggered me to watch this again. It really is a brilliant film, so original, and there is nothing quite like it. 

Easy 5/5

After watching it I had a look at Wikipedia and apparently it's inspired by an episode of The Twilight Zone (something I'll have to track down).

It’s a fairly obvious riff on Philip K Dick’s ‘Time Out of Joint’.

Pretty much any SF movie ever made is nicked from PKD in some way - if it’s any good, that is.

On 22/06/2020 at 09:37, ckny said:

We're going to watch The Sinner and then watch The Godfather trilogy, which I was shocked to learn the wife had never seen. Ratings btw will be 4, 5 and 2. Possibly.

The Sinner was shite.

Finished the Godfather trilogy last night. Ratings revised to 5, 5 and 3.

Haven't seen any of them in maybe 10-12 years. I now prefer the first film to the second which, like the third, I thought was confusing and convoluted. Sofia Coppola was nowhere near as bad as I remembered in 3 (or was led to believe by history), she was pretty inoffensive and doesn't really have that much screen time. There's the foundation of a great film in 3 but holy shit is it lost in the labyrinth of a plot.

And at what point exactly did Al Pacino lose his acting chops? The understated and nuanced performances in 1 and 2 are replaced by the 'Al Pacino playing Al Pacino' performance we all know. Talking in. Stuttering sentences. Shouting wildly at RANDOM MOMENTS. Are there any video essays on Youtube or anything chronicling his decline, does anyone know?

The Journey (2017) - Amazon Prime

At a crucial moment in the Northern Ireland Peace Process, the leaders of the two sides, the Reverend Dr Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness ended up sharing a car journey.  This film depicts what could have happened when these two sworn enemies sat down next to each other, alone, for the first time.

Well, the key word there is "could".  I mean, the pair of them could have hopped in a spaceship and saved the galaxy from mutant aliens and it would have been just as realistic.  But then this film is about dramatising the relationship between two men who fought for 30 years and ended up the closest of friends.  It absolutely is not a reconstruction of the journey, it isn't how the two of them got on, it's more about why they ended up being known as "The Chuckle Brothers" within Ireland.

McGuinness is fantastically played by Colm Meaney with Timothy Spall doing a incredible job of Paisley - at times seeming to chew the scenery, but then that is what Paisley was.  The script treats both sides equally, with Meaney getting sympathy for fighting for his side without shying away from the atrocious acts committed in his name.  Paisley gets to grandstand about not sinking to the depths of his opponent, but coating it in self-righteousness, stubborness and rampaging ego. Spall and Meaney bounce off each other brilliantly and are never less than fun to watch.

The supporting cast is OK - John Hurt is there for exposition, Toby Stephens plays Tony Blair as a caricature and Freddie Highmore unobtrusively plays the driver.

So, minus a few million points for accuracy, but I'll give it a solid 3/5 for being really quite entertaining.  You'll learn maybe a little (definitely not a lot) but you will laugh a few times on the way.

Edit: It should have been called A Royal Night Out At The Troubles.

• Upvote 7

Unfriended: Dark Web

The first Unfriended was one of those films that sounds utterly shit, but was actually surprisingly decent. Dark Web is pretty much more of the same. All played out in front of a computer screen on a Skype call, it's a tight hour and a half with some decent moments and made for an okay Saturday afternoon viewing. It's now on Netflix.

3/5

Godfather Part II has such a stellar rep as a sequel that's better than the original, and I won't deny it's an absolute masterpiece - but so is the first! For a movie of its length and scope it seems a bit daft to say it's tight, but every time I revisit it I'm amazed how it flies.

Alien Covenant. 1 out of 5.

It wasn't tense, scary or thrilling. Story was dull and it was entirely pointless.

• Upvote 3

21 Bridges 3/5.

Wasn't expecting much and was in danger of falling asleep on the sofa before I put it on so didn't want to risk something I really wanted to see. As it turned out, I thought the film had a good cast, reasonable (though predictable) story and looked brilliant. 

On that note,  the look of NY contributes a lot to the movie and caused me to feel a little sad at the thought of a visit to New York (where the film is set - the title relates to the bridges that connect manhatten) being so unrealistic any time soon.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Gambit said:

Unfriended: Dark Web

The first Unfriended was one of those films that sounds utterly shit, but was actually surprisingly decent. Dark Web is pretty much more of the same. All played out in front of a computer screen on a Skype call, it's a tight hour and a half with some decent moments and made for an okay Saturday afternoon viewing. It's now on Netflix.

3/5

I just watched it too. I agree with your rating. It was a bit silly and i when i looked it up on idmb i was shocked that these people where supposed to be teens :lol: Apparently there was a second ending when watching at the theatres (well, you would get one of two endings at random) but i cant find it and the write up does make it sound like a better (twisted?) ending.

Hamilton (2020)

When something becomes so big and hyped you can often built up expectations and feel yourself being let down by them. Well thankfully this wasn't one of those times because this certainty lived up to the hype. For the last 4 years I've heard about this play and how amazing it was, but I didn’t expect it to be anything like that. 2 hours and 20 minutes full of brilliant songs, choreography and storytelling. 

I went into this completely blind and watched it solely on the hype. I honestly had no idea that the whole thing was told through song, but it worked so well. Mixing rap, hip hop, pop and soul in with traditional show tunes to tell a 300 year old story was extraordinary and so much fun. 

I did worry a little how watching a recorded stage show would translate for home viewing as I've never experienced that before, but it was silly to worry because they've done an absolutely amazing job with it. The direction, camera work and audio is second to none. The audio is probably better than what you'd hear seeing it live to be honest. 

The whole cast are amazing and Lin-Manuel Miranda is fantastic in the lead but Daveed Diggs steals the show playing both Marquis de Lafayette and Thomas Jefferson. Jonathan Groff was a massive highlight as King George III too. I loved that it was colour-blind casting too.

I have a little knowledge of the War of Independence and I think that helps with keeping up in the first half of the show because some of the songs do move quite fast and can be a little hard to keep up with. If I had any criticism of the show it would probably be that but it didn't bother me too much.

It really is a great show, fully deserving of its praise and the way they split the story pre and post intermission works really well with the flow. Its entertaining, funny, has some very emphatic and poignant things to say about America and the last 25mins are a real tear jerker.

I'm not sure if it counts really because its not a film per se but its shot to number 1 on my list for 2020.

5/5

• Upvote 2

On 03/07/2020 at 12:44, ckny said:

And at what point exactly did Al Pacino lose his acting chops? The understated and nuanced performances in 1 and 2 are replaced by the 'Al Pacino playing Al Pacino' performance we all know. Talking in. Stuttering sentences. Shouting wildly at RANDOM MOMENTS. Are there any video essays on Youtube or anything chronicling his decline, does anyone know?

I couldn't agree more. I tried to find something but this pretty much sums it up.

• Upvote 2

Eurovision Song Contest: The Story Of Fire Saga (2020)

deleted

3/5

I don't normally do this but it turns out everything I said about this film was factually incorrect, I assumed the leads were good enough singers to carry this off but of course that wasn't the case. So what you're left with are some decent songs amidst a pretty mediocre comedy with a bit of Eurovision fan service. I still say if you love Eurovision you'll definitely get a kick out of this, but as a piece of general entertainment it doesn't hit the mark at all. Iceland still looks gorgeous, and I do have a soft spot for the mashup with the previous Eurovision winners, fully acknowledging this may make some physically ill, if not from motion sickness from the constantly moving camera then the in-your-face look-at-me OTT performances. But hey that's what makes Eurovision Eurovision.

• Upvote 1

The Invincibles - 5/5

This is a splendid 1995 curio that has cropped up on MUBI, and if you have this service it’s an ESSENTIAL watch.

Basically the story of bad things going down for German police and politicians, a SWAT cop is on a mafia bust and is surprised  to find his ex-partner seems to have returned from the dead to fuck up his life.

What makes this so special is the stone cold Eurotrashiness of the whole endeavour - the unashamed cynicism, grit and violence, the haircuts, the surprisingly tight plot that still has time to meander all over the place during the 150 minute run time, the restoration by the director that includes deleted scenes straight from his own remaining vhs copy and a subs translation that seems to have been performed by a machine.

Set this to a backdrop of sprawling industrial Düsseldorf where everyone is corrupt and useless, and it’s pure magic.

• Upvote 1

The Green Mile - hasn't lost a smidge of its emotion and heart in 21years.

Goddamn movie has me in tears everytime 5/5

• Upvote 5

On 21/06/2020 at 23:42, Waggo said:

8/10

:quote:

Edit - and let that be a warning to anyone tempted to give half points. That’s also scoring out of ten, you’ve just rebadged it you fool!

Ad Astra

One of the worst films I have ever had the misfortune to see. Truly dire on every level. While the unending abuses of basic primary school science are its most fucking egregious failings, the writing, performances, effects (bar a few well done scenes), and the primary plot McGuffin (which makes literally no sense, and is resolved nonsensically) all vie for the worst aspect of this absolute fucking space turkey. Utter utter shite. If you have the least understanding of physics, or indeed storytelling, avoid like a needle of Covid in the eye.

0/5

• Upvote 3

The Room (2019)

no, not that one.

an intriguing little tale that would probably have worked best as an episode of the twilight zone but a fun watch 

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Ad Astra

One of the worst films I have ever had the misfortune to see. Truly dire on every level. While the unending abuses of basic primary school science are its most fucking egregious failings, the writing, performances, effects (bar a few well done scenes), and the primary plot McGuffin (which makes literally no sense, and is resolved nonsensically) all vie for the worst aspect of this absolute fucking space turkey. Utter utter shite. If you have the least understanding of physics, or indeed storytelling, avoid like a needle of Covid in the eye.

0/5

It's absolutely awful isn't it.

Terminator : Dark Fate

Old Arnie, original Sarah Conner, Cameron as exec producer or something, where could it go wrong?

Ah, the repeated attempts to capture the magic of the 1st 2 Terminator movies and  the relative failure of all the subsequent sequel movies to do so.  I've seen them all and appreciated aspects of each movie, even the poor execution of one or two still had some really  nice ideas and/ or interesting Terminator designs. I liked the bleakness of 3 and that crane chase, the design of the motorcycle terminators and the illogical  eels, the different feel  of the original re-imagined slightly before it went to pot, so was interested to see this.

They've basically gone and done a 'libtard Hollywood'  job on John Conner and made the savior of the human race a female Mexican as opposed a white middle class American male, probably lost themselves the racist misogynist market in the process, oh well.that did not occur to me during the movie BTW, only when I checked the news this morning to see what batshit Stupidity was going on in the world today. Anyway, Mackensie Davis is the soldier sent back to protect  Dani, the new savior of mankind from an even more serious Terminator threat.

Yadda, Yadda, initial confrontations occur, Davis runs out of battery, literally, and Sarah Conner is reintroduced. More stuff happens and Arnie is introduced.  A few beers, Bombastic set pieces etc, today, next Thursday, whenever is saved.

Like most reviews have mentioned the 1st half is good and then the 2nd half just ends up flat and to me there's a clear delineation between the two, when the focus moves from Davis and Reyes characters to Hamilton and Arnie, it just seems to run out of energy as said focus shifts. Which drags down what was easily going to be the best Terminator movie since 2 down to the level of 3, which is a pity.

Anyway, the bad:  unremarkable bad guy, bombastic and boring 2nd half,humor /jokes that aren't earned, Hamilton is not actually that good as Sarah Conner, Lena Hedley (?)  would have done a much better job but is probably a bit too young.

The good:  unremarkable bad guy had a nice design, 1st half is good, Mackensie Davis is really  awesome. Also liked the idea of what would a Terminator do if... Etc

So 3/5,  on a par with T3 but could have come within  distance of the 1st two, though probably a moderate distant third at that

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Popo said:

:quote:

Edit - and let that be a warning to anyone tempted to give half points. That’s also scoring out of ten, you’ve just rebadged it you fool!

I'm totally going to give the next film I rate 8.5/10 now you've said that.

• Upvote 1

Desperados

New Netflix comedy. Having binge watched the whole of New Girl over lockdown, I watched this solely so I could get more Lamorne Morris and Nasim Pedrad in my life. It's one of those comedies with a completely ridiculous premise (our lead has to travel to Mexico to delete an email before her new boyfriend reads it, hijinks ensue) but is held together by the likeability of its main cast. A few laughs, nothing groundbreaking, a good way to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon.

3/5

Furlough film club.

Nikita

The original Frence one. Not the Hollywood hack job. 

And its another of my favourite directors, Luc Besson. This film kind of kicked off the stripped down gun toting assassin genre of late 90s film making. Inspiring a Hollywood remake and TV series, the girl with a gun and an attitude is now a staple of cinema.

Besson is always accused of all action with no story. But Nikita tell the tale of a girl who is trained by a shadowy French agency to kill on command. With typical French flair theres lots of smoking and smouldering looks across minimalist sets. But the heart of the story is Nikita finding love and escaping from it all.

I remember the film having a lot more action and more snappy French existentialism. I'd forgotten the slow build ups and long passages where nothing happened. Also smoking, you don't see smoking in films anymore.

But I think it still stands up as one of Bessons better films. It's not big budget, but it feels solid and real and the action is grounded. Hollywood took the concept all the way to John Wick and 2 hours of genocidal mayhem.

This is better.

4 packs of Gauloises out of 5

• Upvote 2

The Innkeepers 

The borekeepers more like. One of the weakest films I’ve seen recently and with zero sense of fear or tension. The only thing that does work is that the two leads bounce off each other very well. Nothing much happens for the entire movie 

1/5

Transformers.

All of the usual Bay hallmarks are present and correct here. People speaking far too fast and far too loudly, dodgy sexual politics, incredible action scenes. Few directors working today can match him in the action stakes. Remember when Megan Fox was a thing?

3.5/5

Gallowwalkers

Despite being utterly nonsensical with entire scenes that made no sense at all I kinda liked this. More Snipes is always a good thing in my book. I’ve no idea what the film as about beyond being a simple revenge tale.  Great end credits though 

2/5

• Empathy 1

The Untouchables

Haven't watch this in years. Holds up remarkably well, unlike Sean Connery's "Irish" accent - but it's 007, so I'll let him off with that. 

4 shtars out of 5

Bridge of Spies

This is a simple tale well told but suffers from being overly long. Mark Rylance's performance is brilliantly understated and he steals every scene to the extent that the film suffers when he's not in it. Unfortunately his screen time is mainly consigned to the first half. The period detail is exceptional but I found myself switching off once the focus changed to Berlin.

3/5

Hacksaw Ridge

The tone of the first half of the movie, doesn't set you up for the chaos and carnage of the second half, but I suppose thats kind of the idea of preparing for a war?

Those initial battle scenes are terrifying.

4/5

Leon

This is turning into a Luc Besson retrospective?! So this, for me is Bessons best work. And specifically the directors cut of Leon.

French hit man (Jean Reno) cleans up New York that looks like 70s heatwave Paris. He saves Matilda (A very young Natalie Portman) when her family is murders by psycho nut job cop (Gary Oldman at his absolute bat shit mental best). She wants revenge, he wants to get on with his life and do his job whilst nut job cop wants drugs.

This is Besson given a sack full of cash, a star studded cast and told to get on with making Hollywood defining films. This is all American gloss and glitz production, but at the same time utterly French. Portman spends a great deal of the film smoking and looking cool. The subplot of her falling in love with Leon is slightly creepy now. But it's uncomfortable rather than nasty.

The New York set could be down town Paris or uptown Marseille. It looks fantastic, gritty and real.

The final shoot out is classic Besson. Intimate, 
 visceral, and compassionate all at the same time. I love this film. The directors cut adds more detail to Matilda becoming an apprentice and loses a largely pointless Leon messing up a hit scene.

Besson went on to largely retread this film with the transporter and taken films, but I say this is his best film.

5 solid body shots out of 5

• Upvote 4

The Untouchables 4/5

Bumped on nowTV because of the death of the composer, Morricone, and you know, for a 2 hour film, this zips by at an alarming rate. Connery got an Oscar for this, but he eats scenery like he eats lead. Oh, spoiler alert! Andy Garcia is good too. I think Kevin Costner is playing himself in this. De Niro’s Capone is cartoonish on the one hand, and utterly monstrous on the other.

also: staircase!

Naked Gun 33 1/3 the final insult 3/5

also: staircase