rllmuk
Raoull duke

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

2 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Bridge of Spies

This is a simple tale well told but suffers from being overly long. Mark Rylance's performance is brilliantly understated and he steals every scene to the extent that the film suffers when he's not in it. Unfortunately his screen time is mainly consigned to the first half. The period detail is exceptional but I found myself switching off once the focus changed to Berlin.

3/5

This has reminded me of something that bugged me about this film. When Hanx meets Rylance's 'family' in East Berlin, are they actually his family or just government stooges? It was very odd.

1 hour ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Leon

Don't want to drag the thread off topic, but the director's cut is worth a look. There's some stuff which adds a bit more creepiness to the relationship between Matilda and Leon, but also a scene that the ending becomes a bit of a callback to, which isn't in the usual cut, I don't think.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Festoon said:

This has reminded me of something that bugged me about this film. When Hanx meets Rylance's 'family' in East Berlin, are they actually his family or just government stooges? It was very odd.

I know what you mean.

Spoiler

There's a comment on the bridge during the exchange which suggests they were stooges. In response to the confusion over what he looks like Hanks wryly says something along the lines of, 'I don't even think your own family know what you look like.'

• Upvote 1

The Day Shall Come 

Chris Morris' last film - Available / included with Amazon Prime Video right now

4/5

8 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Leon

This is turning into a Luc Besson retrospective?! So this, for me is Bessons best work. And specifically the directors cut of Leon.

French hit man (Jean Reno) cleans up New York that looks like 70s heatwave Paris. He saves Matilda (A very young Natalie Portman) when her family is murders by psycho nut job cop (Gary Oldman at his absolute bat shit mental best). She wants revenge, he wants to get on with his life and do his job whilst nut job cop wants drugs.

This is Besson given a sack full of cash, a star studded cast and told to get on with making Hollywood defining films. This is all American gloss and glitz production, but at the same time utterly French. Portman spends a great deal of the film smoking and looking cool. The subplot of her falling in love with Leon is slightly creepy now. But it's uncomfortable rather than nasty.

The New York set could be down town Paris or uptown Marseille. It looks fantastic, gritty and real.

The final shoot out is classic Besson. Intimate, 
 visceral, and compassionate all at the same time. I love this film. The directors cut adds more detail to Matilda becoming an apprentice and loses a largely pointless Leon messing up a hit scene.

Besson went on to largely retread this film with the transporter and taken films, but I say this is his best film.

5 solid body shots out of 5

Far and away his masterpiece, but I just wanna point out that this film had no stars in it. It had a French luvvie, a UK character actor and a new kid. Sure, Oldman was hot off Dracula, but he was far from a star. 

• Upvote 1

Creep

Finally, a decent horror movie! Excellently executed with two brilliant performances this is pretty much perfect in succeeding as an effective low budget movie. I really can’t recommend this enough. It’s on Netflix 

5/5

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SeanR said:

also: staircase

One of the great movie homages..

Iron Man 2

The only Marvel film I've not seen. I thought I had but after 20 mins, I knew I hadn't. It's OK. Not that much action but some great dialogue and although the ending is a bit abrupt, I enjoyed it. The villain is a bit weak but Mickey Rourke was good value (I thought the villain was Hammer). 

3/5

10 hours ago, sandman said:

Creep

Finally, a decent horror movie! Excellently executed with two brilliant performances this is pretty much perfect in succeeding as an effective low budget movie. I really can’t recommend this enough. It’s on Netflix 

5/5

The jump scares though :seanr:

The ending scene on the bench is a shocker. It's a Marmite film.

Why Don't You Just Die! (2018)

Very tight Russian black comedy which packs an awful lot of twists and turns (and even more blood) into its 1 1/2 hour running time. Sam Raimi x Tarantino with a dash of Coen Brothers. Refreshingly different and highly, highly recommended.

4/5

• Upvote 1

McHattie triple bill!

Pontypool

I've been watching the new Twilight Zone tv show over the last few weeks and while I'm enjoying it to say it has a problem with endings would be a vast under statement. This is like an extended version of that show, but with a pretty good ending. In fact, its very effective indeed, if a bit daft in its premise. Its very low budget but as the performances are so good you don't mind at all. McHattie is brilliant here and his voice is used to excellent effect.

4/5

Hellmouth

This is not as effective but is watchable enough, Its not really sure what it wants to be - a horror version of sin City, a 60s throwback, a horror comedy. Its ok and again, the cast is giving it their all but it simply doesn't work as well as Pontypool

2.5/5

Watchmen Ultimate Cut (in 4K!!)

I've been a massive fan of the comic since it was first published ( I can still remember picking up the second issue in my local book shop - that's back when comics could be bought in a book shop!). I also really enjoyed the film when it was released despite it having some issues (though I had no problem with the changed ending). A short while after release I remember hearing about this mythical Ultimate Cut with the Tales of the Black Freighter and some other scenes injected into the film. Fast forward 10 years and this cut is now available on blu ray. 

Its easy to forget that Dean Morgan, Wilson and Goode all started here. I think Dean Morgan is the best of them, but all of them are superb and give strong performances. The sex scene is still ridiculous but the pervy side of me doesn't mind Ackermans perfect bottom one bit so can forgive its inclusion. There is, of course, Jon's blue penis which didn't go down too well at time of release. Its in the comic so I can live with it, but at times it does seem daft. If the film has one problem (especially in this cut) is that its too close to the comic in terms its script. It should have strayed a bit more I feel.

For me, this is the definitive version of an already superb film.

5/5

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

The Old Guard.

A clichéd premise attempted from an interesting angle, and an abject failure because it's so fucking stupid. This was rubbish.

1/5

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

On 08/07/2020 at 17:11, englishbob said:

The Day Shall Come 

Chris Morris' last film -

You just made me check he was still alive putting that!

Flareup (1969)

Raquel Welch is a dancer at a go-go club in Las Vegas being pursued by a guy who blames her for his wife leaving him. He stalks her to LA leaving a trail of murders. It sounds like if this had been made 20 years later it would have been some super-sleazy, neon-night slasher flick in a similar style to Maniac, instead this is a very 1969 melodrama with Welch developing a relationship with a guy working at a club in LA, the other guy eventually tracking her down to add some peril. Initially 'groovy' is the word that springs to mind: groovy title sequence, groovy dancing (Welch does one routine), groovy music, although once Welch gets to LA things get decidedly less groovy and, frankly, a bit flat in comparison to the strong opening. Things heat up towards the end though. Great late-60s views of the Las Vegas strip and LA, it has all that great styling from the time backed up by a decent Les Baxter soundtrack. Despite the 1969 look and style, and Welch is hot here, this doesn't hold interest, the thriller doesn't thrill.

2.5/5

• Upvote 3

Rambo: Last blood

Offensive bottom feeding racist trash. But fantastically old school violent. It's awful, but it was exactly what I wanted tonight. Loved it.

1/5

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Thor said:

The Old Guard.

A clichéd premise attempted from an interesting angle, and an abject failure because it's so fucking stupid. This was rubbish.

1/5

And on the other side of the spectrum...

The Old Guard

I had no idea about what this was other than "action movie with Charlize Theron" so thought I'd give it a watch. So because of that the plot didn't exactly go where I was expecting. Lovely bit of nonsense, some great fight scenes, good acting (aside from the main British villain who I was told by the OH was in Harry Potter) and a decent Friday night. Would make a good double bill with the other Netflix action movie, Extraction.

4/5

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Rambo: Last blood

Offensive bottom feeding racist trash. But fantastically old school violent. It's awful, but it was exactly what I wanted tonight. Loved it.

1/5

I should have liked this, watched so much crap like this down the years, but yes it relies heavily on awful stereotypes in lieu of having a worthy baddie. It is a good nod to violent revenge trash though.

Obsession (1976)

Bat shit crazy melodrama noir fest from Brian De Palma  released in the year of my birth.

Over the top score, shades of giallo and a ton of Hitchcock.

Not sure it is even worth mentioning the plot.

3/5

Greyhound (Apple TV+)

Thrilling stuff.  Tiny cast.  Dynamic and exciting combat scenes.  Hanks just perfect (if a little wrote).  

One of the best none submarine submarine movies.

4/5

The Old Guard

What a snooze fest. Slow, plodding, takes itself too seriously, wakes up a little bit at the end. But not enough to save it from being, well, just average. It has the cheek to think it's done enough to earn some kind of multi-film saga with a Marvel style end credits scene promising more films down the line. Nope, I'm out.

1½ out of 5

• Upvote 1

These are a few of the movies i've watched over the past 2 weeks, with a quickfire review:

Eyes Wide Shut

Not nearly as profound or shocking as i remember, but everything Kubrick touches is so expertly done, it has to be admired. Nicole Kidman at this age was just the most beautiful creature alive. :wub:

4/5

Bird Box

I avoided this when it came out because it sounded like Netflix's answer to A Quiet Place. But i was pleasently surprised and happy that a lot of the film was them stuck in the house with the other survivors. The shouting at the kids made me giggle more than it should.

3/5

The Prestige

I find all of Nolan's films get better after multiple viewings and this is no exception. Solid all round even when you know the end/twist etc.

4/5

Life of Pi

I put this on as a background distraction when i was working but after about 10 seconds was glued to the screen from start to almost finish. I've always thought the meerkat island was a bit pointless, but everything else is spellbinding. The imagery is bold and beautiful, the CGI tiger utterly believable, and that young lad who acted the whole thing on green screen (his debut) was a delight. On a sad note: RIP Irrfan Khan who is a wonderful actor and sold the whole "story".

5/5

Harry Brown

I'm not a Michael Caine fan but i love him in this movie. Its an exaggerated view of teenage gang culture in this country, but its handled well and makes for compelling viewing. It has some excellent bit-part characters, the pick of the bunch being Sean Harris as the dealer who is fucking terrifying!

3/5

Kill List

I remember watching this back in the day and being shocked by the moments of ultra-violence, then confused by the ending, but i've seen it again since, and then once more recently, and i think its absolute genius! In the most deprived kind of way. You just don't get films like this. Its an assault on your senses that leaves you awestruck.

5/5

The Personal History of David Copperfield

I love Armando Iannucci's satirical work, so i didn't know what to expect from this. What it is, is the feel-good movie of 2020, and by God we need one in these dire times. This movie exudes pure joy! It's so jolly it makes me happy just typing about it. I've watched it 3 times already and it cheers me up without fail.

5/5 trust me

• Upvote 5

The Old Guard - 2/5

Horrible. Terrible writing and characterisation, sub par direction and the sound and music choices were....laughable. 

Thank fuck I watched Oldboy afterward which I think is one of the best films ever made. 

The Old Guard (2020)

The concept of a group of (almost) immortal warriors who have battled through the ages is ripe for potential. And yet all that is relegated to the occasional LARPing flashback amidst a pretty standard modern-day action-oriented plot. They stalk about like they have been trained in SWAT tactics, and other than a bit of swordplay and some mentions of times gone you'd be forgiven for thinking they were just more ex-army types. You don't feel the sheer weight of their experience of war, life, changes. Consequently they lack character, there's nothing to root for. The action is slick, with great hand-to-hand, generally well-shot and edited, but the rest was pretty joyless and too earnest. Presumably Theron was going for cool and aloof but it felt more robotic. It has the front to assume we want a sequel too.

2.5/5

Mission Impossible Fallout - 4.5 out of 5.

Watched it with it being added to Netflix recently, and think it may be the best in the series so far, and I say that as someone who likes the series a lot.  It's not perfect - they still have issues with hughely predictable plot beats at times, namely

Cavils character being a bad guy - who didnt see that coming?

and as much as the series has become about exciting action scenes with bonkers, practical stuntwork (seriously, I'm pretty sure if they re-made the first, Cruise would probably look at the train/helicopter scene in the tunnel at the end and go "nah, lets just have a crack at doing it for real, I reckon I can") it does mean some of the traditional "Mission Impossible" stuff isnt quite as prominent.  By that I mean having actual situations that seem like impossible tasks that require clever solutions or some kind of trickery to pull off.  There are a couple of small ones in this, but generally its standard action fare for most of it.

I say standard, its really well done action fare, that cracks along at a right old pace - half the film hadnt passed, we'd had three major stunt/action scenes, with a couple of minor ones scattered through that, and it still managed to stuff more in the last half.  The plot is servicable, helped by bad guys who are unlikeable enough for you to want them to get their comeupance, and the main cast have been doing this long enough now to feel like this is natural to them.

Definitely recommend.

• Upvote 1

Re-watched a couple of films with my folks visiting this weekend. 

Parasite. 

Stands up to repeat viewings but I can't work out what the significance of the 

Spoiler

Morse code that everyone does is

I think I enjoying it more the first time I watched it. 

4.5/5

The Straight Story.

Last time I watched this I had just started dating my wife, and I loved it. Was a bit worried it wouldn't hold up but there was no need to. It's a masterpiece. 

5/5

• Upvote 3

Greyhound (2020)

Finally, I excitedly thought, an incentive to start that one year's free Apple TV we received with a recent iPad purchase.

Sadly, I was wrong to be excited as this was a distinctly average (at best) experience. From the slightly ropey CGI to the total lack of characterisation, via a notable lack of tension, it was hard to find much to be really impressed by here. The upside is that is a short film but that is also it's biggest flaw - this hurtles from U boat engagement to  U boat engagement without a breath, without spending any time to develop characters, and without any of the high stress and tension that  would have been ever present. This sort of naval combat was far slower, far more nerve racking, and had considerable intervals of nothing happening (bar the ever present fear of an attack) than this film suggests. 

Also, there appears to be almost nothing at all of worth on Apple TV+ (I've pencilled in For All Mankind and the Beastie Boys doc but that is it). It is a very weak service indeed and distinctly underwhelming...

2.5/5

Thor

The first one.

It's actually really good. Thor is my favourite so I'm biased but it's a solid film. Having an OLED telly, the fight with the frost giants is way too dark but it's a 4/5 from me.

Everyone says Thor 2 is the worst of all the Marvel films. Iron Man 3 is a lot worse.

• Upvote 1

Old guard. 

The trailer made this look like wise cracking zombie assassins kicking names and taking ass. What the film delivered was a  slow tedious study of really old people half arsed about going around and dieing then getting up and killing their surprised murderers. 

Then we spent what seemed like an hour in a plane explaining that they don't die and the new girl was one of them... In the most bored and "I really can't be bothered to explain this all over again blah blah death blah blah no idea why blah blah" way imaginable 

Then we're in France for some reason. Then an identikit evil Mark Zukaberg is wheeled out to demand something or promise to save something or make a shit ton of money or something. Then some one wanted to save some one who was dead, and they talked about that and then they died and then they were alive and they killed their surprised murderers again. 

Utter turgid shit. 

-632 out of 5

• Upvote 1