Rate the last film you watched out of 5

11 hours ago, Ry said:

I'm Thinking of Ending Things - 2/5.

I can take the pretentiousness of it. I can understand the points trying to be made. But the fact is the characters are so unlikeable that I was ultimately bored and the up its own arse dialogue just made me groan. I just wanted it to end, which I never thought it would as it's over 2 hours long. Shame, as I like Kaufman. 

I attempted to watch this on Saturday and think I lasted to about 35 mins. Out of curiosity I read what I'd missed out on and I must say I'm actually thankful that I turned it off. Pretentious snorecore of the worst type. 

The Nun (2018)

I knew this would be terrible but my wife love horrors (shit ones, good ones, it doesn't matter) and sometimes I give in and watch them with her.

Fuck me this was boring, tedious tripe of the highest order. This film is full of nuns so make it more fun by taking a shot everytime someone says "sister" and you'll be so drunk by the end it won't matter how bad it was.

1/5

Fathom (1967)

Raquel Welch stars in a fun, kitsch espionage-ish caper where she plays a skydiving dental hygeinist who gets embroiled in the hunt for The Fire Dragon. It's typical of the time: exotic location, a hint of romance, quirky characters, just a tad off-beat. It weaves a twisting story with Welch not knowing who to trust, who the good guys are. Okay so it's not the done thing these days to comment on a woman's looks but it has to be said this was Raquel Welch at her hottest, both in looks and performance. She brightens this up considerably with her charm, keeping it light. It was great to see her and Richard Briars spend a lot of screen time together, a rather incongruous pairing. This may be a little too lightweight for some but despite its fluffiness it was still entertaining.

3/5

Hostile Environment (1999)

Please, no-one give David A Prior any sort of budget. I loved his 80s stuff like Mankillers and especially Deadly Prey, but this was absolutely awful. Muscular blonde goodie vs muscular blonde baddie in a story that could only have been written by someone who lived in California, a place where it never rains. In the future the water supply is controlled by some fascist/criminal gang, making bootleg water is punishable by death - please don't tell them about rain. Matthias Huse of I Come In Peace fame is the good muscular blonde, despite having absolutely zero charisma or acting ability he manages to at least show off his impressive physique which gets the interest of said bad muscular blonde Brigitte Nielsen. There are other characters and stuff happens, things explode. There's a bomb for some reason and blah blah blah. Don't bother.

1/5

Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects (1989)

Super-sleazy in a bad way, ancient Charles Bronson is an LA cop trying his utmost to take down a guy pimping out underage girls. Meanwhile a Japanese businessman whose wife doesn't do it for him gets relocated to LA and has issues of his own. Teenage girls getting felt up on public transport, a worse fate for a Japanese schoolgirl. And Bronson is on the case, doing what was expected of him in a Cannon flick, although in a more laid back way compared to some of his earlier outings. A lot of the nastiness in this is inferred, it maybe doesn't get as out-and-out sleazy as it had the potential to. Of course Bronson gets his cool revenge, but it's nowhere near as visceral as it could have been, but that's not to say this doesn't make you want to take a cold shower. 

2.5/5

The Assistant (2019) - 5/5

I loved this. Mesmirising and immersive mundanity, undercut with the deep dread that something terrible is happening. Which led me on to...

Elephant (2003) - 4/5

Similarly immersive, with an even stronger sense of dread, only slightly let down by some dodgy improvised performances from a couple of the cast. I would have loved to have watched this without knowing what it was about, there's a moment about 25 minutes in which would be devastatingly impactful if you were in the dark about the subject matter.

Would appreciate any recommendations of films that have a similarly immersive quality!

Rogue One

Second time watching this, now on 4K Bloo, after having seen it on IMAX first time round.

Like it more on second viewing. Gritty and dark and pretty cool, as Star Wars goes.

This deserved a full Williams score.

Still not keen on the lead male rebel guy though, who’s a bit of a charisma vacuum.

The Personal History of David Copperfield

I don't know much Charles Dickens so I went into this pretty cold and had no idea where the story was going. And I totally loved it. Dev Patel is David and he tells the story of his life to an unseen theatre audience, and we see it in flashback.

We follow David through his life - from tough upbringing with a stern stepfather on through the later years where he encounters a cast of eccentric relatives. I guess Dickens has passed into greater consciousness because I was pretty familiar with a lot of the character names; Uriah Heep, Mr. Micawber etc. Dev Patel is superb as Copperfield who never loses his humanity despite a tough life and a string of setbacks. The rest of the cast are excellent - Peter Capildi, Hugh Laurie and Tilda Swinton in particular.

One of the best films I've watched in ages.

4.5/5

3 joints by Mr Lee

Shes gotta Have it

Lees debut is best described as “experimental”.  It kind of works but is basically his Eraserhead where he learns his craft. The cast are ok, but the whole thing feels slight and it never shifts out of second gear. 

2.5/5

Summer of Sam

Lee does Scorsese. What a strange film. Why on earth did he put punk Brody in there? The whole thing is a mess of a movie. It’s like they chucked everything into the blender and hoped for the best. The central relationship just about works, mainly due to a terrific performance from Sorvino. As it’s 98% fiction I’m not sure what the point of it was. The first 45 minutes are actually really good, but it soon gets less and less disciplined. 

2.5/5

Blackkklansman.

Lee does Tarantino. This is in a different league. Utterly spellbinding, it’s amazing to see how Lee has matured as a filmmaker. I’m kinda glad I only got round to seeing this now as it’s such a reflection of America in its current form. The cast are all perfect and the script is first rate. 

5/5

I guess I was in the right place at the right time to fall in love with Lees films when he hit big. But his career since the mid 90s has been rather Up and down. ( I think I’m the only forumite who loves his version of Oldboy ). Malcolm X was huge on release, but was forgotten 5 years later. His very definitive early style seems to have been diluted over the years and I’m not sure why. 

The Bank Job (2008)

"Based on true events" although despite the wide-ranging consequences of this particular event I'd never heard of it, so I can only judge this purely on its ability to entertain. In essence Jason Statham is a small-time criminal (I think, it's not well established) who is roped into robbing a bank by a lady friend of his, unbeknownst to him for her own reasons. You've got bank-robbers, bent coppers, London villains, government ministers and a guy wanting to be the British Malcolm X in this twisted tale. My main gripe is something that really gets my goat with films like this: it's set in 1971 yet it has a very contemporary soundtrack, barring a couple of hits from the time the music really ruins the period atmosphere. A shame because they've tog the togs and the motors and the locations sorted. The actual bank job is only a small part, most of the film deals with the aftermath, and it's generally entertaining although it takes something of a dark turn near the end, felt a bit out of tone. Weird seeing Peter Bowles without a tasche though.

3/5

Life Is Sweet (1990)

Slice-of-life drama from Mike Leigh, a chef father, shop-assistant mother, their grown-up twins, one of whom is a tomboy, the other struggling with an eating disorder, their struggles, muddling together. I could relate to the family, they felt real, the sort of working-class my parents were. It starts off light enough, Alison Steadman and Jim Broadbent trading jokes, he buys a knackered burger van, added it to his to-do list of things that will never get done. Meanwhile twins Claire Skinner and Jane Horrocks are the twins Nicola and Natalie both have their lives to lead. As it the way with a Mike Leigh film the characters are so well drawn, there's so much complexity. Add in Timothy Spall as the family friend trying to get his restaurant off the ground, initially comic but his true character comes to the fore. There's a scene later in the film between Nicola and her mother that really touched me. I'm not a parent but it felt like that is how one would feel about a child who is struggling with life. It has the combination of the banal punctuated with tragedy and hope that Mike Leigh does well. The lack of a solid plot may stop some from appreciating this, but for me spending time with this family was a pleasure, even if I had to share their tragedy too. Excellent film.

4.5/5

Rent A Pal

Great fun. Has a pitch perfect tone where the gentle gallows humour serves to elevate the more serious moments and make them more harrowing, rather than making you feel detached or like it's being disrespectful of the subject matter.

Rides the line perfectly. Made with confidence, it's such a perfectly paced, enjoyable ride. Had a smile on my face all the way through.

Ford vs Ferrari 

I enjoyed this, i enjoyed whatever accent Christian Bale was trying to do that was like Guy Martin had invaded Hollywood, i enjoyed his natural chemistry with Matt Damon, i enjoyed the predictability of the story, the exaggeration of the awful marketing guys being consistently awful, i enjoyed the subtle but ever present dad worshipping of Miles’ son reminding me once of what someone said about kids; they look up at you like you’re God. I enjoyed the confusion about what Miles’ wife was upset about when driving like a maniac. I enjoyed Bale’s accent so much i want to mention it again, he’s able to puncture the extreme machine like efficiency and polish of a production like this where everyone involved is a pro. Despite his age Bale isn’t going through the motions and can inject a kind of alternative vibe on to the screen. He’s done this so many times before but there’s few who can and all his remarks made me laugh.

It was exactly what i thought the film would be like, you turn it on expecting to settle into something so well crafted, that’s so movie like it’s kind of comforting.

3.5/5

Waiting For The Barbarians 

I thought this was intolerably dull, took me 4 attempts, even with 15 minutes left it felt like it refused to move on. I'd have to be 12 years old for the film's message of the colonialists are the real barbarians huh to not be trite to me. There is one engaging conversation in the middle that while it repeats the message of the film it at least fleshes out the viewpoints with good thoughtful dialogue.

The rest of the film wallows in the physical abuse they inflict. Mark Rylance does his now familiar soft voiced innocence with added compassion that I find irritating, Johnny Depp looks like he's transported in from a Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them film wearing comical glasses with a complete lack of intimidation in a character that is supposed to represent callous evil. The best thing in the film is Robert Pattinson who excels again in slipping into a character, his face gaunt from perhaps wrestling with his conscience of the atrocities that goes with his position but nonetheless arrogant in reacting to Rylance's pleas, smiling dismissively. He's a coward and we see how weak he is.

1/5

The Devil All The Time

I don't think this truly works, it makes a mess of exploring any of the characters, it jumps back and forward in time with little sense, it feels like nothing happens yet many things do happen but because the characters are so lightly touched on nothing completely hits. It's saved by the performances and the cinematography.

I think half who love it have come from reading the book where everything has been fleshed out. I don't think it needed to be a TV series, it just prefers to build mood and shape the tone with cinematic flair over properly establishing these characters.

It's a film where side characters appear dramatically in the film then the next time you see them 15 minutes later they're having the most pivotal moment of their life and it can't mean as much as it should because you haven't spent time with them, you don't know their history that led to this point, you don't know their personality, their motivations.

Netflix is, film by film, improving the reputation of producers who we hear about not easily greenlighting undeveloped scripts. I want creators to be given freedom, I don't want compromised watered down films. But too often it just seems like they need more rewrites, there's quality there but it's not delivered with clarity and understanding of what they are trying to express. I think they need to work backwards from the end point, ask if it's meaningful for people who aren't as invested with as much knowledge as the creator is.

3/5

Casablanca (1942)

It was on BBC Four.  I've seen it quite a few times.  I've seen the homages, pastiches, spoofs and ripoffs.  It's still utterly wonderful.  Bogart is so, so amazing.  My wife - who had never seen it and never seen Bogart - was captivated by his performance.

Major Strasser: We have a complete dossier on you: Richard Blaine, American, age 37. Cannot return to his country. The reason is a little vague. We also know what you did in Paris, Mr. Blaine, and also we know why you left Paris.

[hands the dossier to Rick]

Major Strasser: Don't worry, we are not going to broadcast it.

Rick: [reading] Are my eyes really brown?

5/5

The Report (2019) - 4/5

Solid, engrossing film about the House Intelligence Committee's investigation into the CIA's use of torture. Adam Driver is great as usual. It'll leave you quite angry. It takes a direct shit on 24 and Zero Dark Thirty at points, which is gratifying.

Prisoners (2013) - 4/5

I'd forgotten how enormously entertaining this was. Hugh Jackman and Terrence Howard's daughters go missing, and Jackman and Jake Gyllenhall shout at each other and at other people to get them back.

The Painted Bird (2019) - 4½/5

Astonishing film about the human capacity for cruelty. I wish I hadn't watched it. Don't watch it.

edit: I had Painted Bird at 5/5 but then remembered how fucking long it was, it (almost certainly intentionally) becomes an ordeal.

On 12/09/2020 at 21:04, Vimster said:

Dredd (2012)

An efficient and thrilling adaptation of Judge Dredd with a screenplay by Alex Garland. Coming in at around 90 minutes this doesn't outstay its welcome. No messing about, if someone gets shot or dies in this you know it, plenty of blood and gore delivered with a silent arch chuckle. Karl Urban brings as much personality as is needed for Judge Dredd's character, supporting cast do their bit. Particularly liked the way the effects of the drug slo-mo were portrayed, made a a vibrant, time-stretched counterpoint to the comic-book grit.

4/5

I quite enjoyed this film but it was eclipsed by The Raid for me. Both near identical plots but The Raid is the better of the two I think.

49 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

I quite enjoyed this film but it was eclipsed by The Raid for me. Both near identical plots but The Raid is the better of the two I think.

I'd agree that The Raid is a purer film, plus the action in that is super-tight and almost continuous. It's constant energy. The difference with Dredd is, for its simplicity, it's still more character-driven. They're both superb films.

The Running Man

Been a long time indeed since seeing this last. This was my first 18 rated movie as a kid!

I was grinning like a loon throughout and could remember so many of the lines and even the intonation of how the lines were said. I’m sure that says something about me lol.

Like so many 80s movies of this ilk - tight editing, strong characterisation, social and technological commentary, etc., and more influential on wider entertainment particularly games than I think gets acknowledged.

The guy who plays Killian did an amazing job! Iconic.

4 maybe 5

8 minutes ago, Triple A said:

The Running Man

Been a long time indeed since seeing this last. This was my first 18 rated movie as a kid!

I was grinning like a loon throughout and could remember so many of the lines and even the intonation of how the lines were said. I’m sure that says something about me lol.

Like so many 80s movies of this ilk - tight editing, strong characterisation, social and technological commentary, etc., and more influential on wider entertainment particularly games than I think gets acknowledged.

The guy who plays Killian did an amazing job! Iconic.

4 maybe 5

That was William Dawson, a real-life gameshow host, superb bit of casting.

Return Of The Jedi - 5/5.

IMO the weakest of the original trilogy & yet it still easily pisses over every film since with the possible exception of Rogue One.  I was mentally comparing the opening dialogue with Vader and the Death Star commander about completing it on schedule, with the guff we got in Attack of the Clones in particular and it is just laughable really as well as quite sad.

10 To Midnight (1983)

A guy takes bloody revenge on a woman that spurned his advances. Charles Bronson is the cop who'll do anything to get his man. This is definitely a sleazy one, the killer and his victims are naked more often than not when the murders take place, and lots of total filth over the phone, all in a shiny early-80s kind of way. It's a pretty solid thriller though, definitely one of the better films Bronson made with Cannon, it handled the revenge so much better than the Cannon-produced Death Wish films for sure, lifting it above raw, dumb vengeance. The relationship between Bronson's daughter and his cop partner was particularly well written, they were a really likeable pair. Mind you, that did fizzle out later on. That ending, the lighting, the music, credits roll.

3.5/5

Antebellum. 

Wasn't sure what I was going to make of this, given it has super mixed reviews. 

But my wife and I really liked it. 

Heavy handed for sure but maybe that's necessary when you are making a film about racism that isn't a biopic?

Definitely worth a watch if you like spooky thriller that almost want to be a horror. 

4/5 

Shaft (2000)

Not seen this before, must admit I really rather enjoyed it. It got me to thinking, is there a more beloved actor than Jackson?  Bet you can’t think of anyone who doesn’t like him.  He’s on top form here and I also finally got to see Wright act rather than play the exact same role over and over. Bale is also excellent in a supporting bad guy role. Interestingly, this was directed by John Singleton whose career stalled after his breathtaking debut. He can’t do action scenes at all, but the drama stuff is well done.

4/5

Shaft (2019)

So, a sequel that nobody was expecting. Son of shaft doesn’t work quite as well, but there’s still some fun to be had. It’s a much dafter plot this time around, but it still works, just. Jackson is once again on top form but the supporting cast are noticeably weaker. Tim Story directs this one and he’s much better at the action, But worse at everything else. His next film is Tom and Jerry and I wonder how he will fare with that.

3/5

American Psycho.

This just improves with age. Bale changes everyone’s perception of him in a career defining performance. The book is in my holy trinity and is perhaps the reason I wasn’t to keen on the film on release. But now I think it’s a perfect adaptation of the book. I am not at all aware of the director but she is certainly extremely well skilled.

5/5

The Debt Collector (2018)

Scott Adkins is a martial arts instructor who needs the money that bad he takes on the job of a debt collector for a local shady feller. He spends the weekend with a washed-up yet experienced heavy (Louis Mandylor), and whilst things start out straight-forward enough, things soon get a bit more interesting. Got to be honest here, I warmed to this film as it went on. The central relationship between Adkins and Mandylor was strong enough to carry this, even if some of the support cast were merely incidental. There were some quality fights, at least early on, although the hand-to-hand gave way to more conventional gunfights later on. It's nothing to write home about, but it's certainly a decent enough ride-along type of film with some Tarantino-lite banter, deep enough plot and just enough spark to keep things interesting.  Nothing too life-changing but worth the time.

3/5

4 hours ago, sandman said:

American Psycho.

This just improves with age. Bale changes everyone’s perception of him in a career defining performance. The book is in my holy trinity and is perhaps the reason I wasn’t to keen on the film on release. But now I think it’s a perfect adaptation of the book. I am not at all aware of the director but she is certainly extremely well skilled.

5/5

This film has a special place in my heart. I have this really fond memory of going to the cinema with a bunch of pals, we didn't really have any idea of what to watch and just picked this pretty randomly expecting a generic thriller/horror. Cinema was about 50% full and the we were the only ones laughing, like proper crying belly laughing at the some of the lines and yet nobody else in the cinema was laughing, which just made it funnier.

Homefront (2013)

Meat-headed action with Jason Statham as a no-longer-undercover drugs cop who moves to the country to get away from it all but gets in some beef with the locals. Yes, he hits the sticks to punch some hicks in the dicks, and make things go bang. The action in this packs a crunchy punch, it has that distorted sound that makes it feel extra-hard. Sadly this was from that period where it was all about the quick-cut, impossible-to-follow action, all speed and no finesse. James Franco does a good turn as the local low-life getting out of his depth. It's slick and taps into that caveman justice nerve, albeit with just a little bit of actual caricaturisation. Famously this was originally meant to be a Sly Stallone picture but for whatever reason he thought his mate The Stath (urgh) fit the bill. Honestly can't see Sly carrying this off, not entirely sure Jason Statham does, to be honest, but there you go. Lesson here: if you let your kid be a bully you may not know what you're letting yourself in for.

2.5/5