rllmuk
Bushtopher

Gaming with kids (6 year old)

After recently reading Eisenhorn, I quite fancy getting back into 40k - not played for years and don't have any models any more, but see they do a £25 starter set thing.

However.... this would be more fun with someone to play with, and I wondered if it's too soon to get my son into this. 

Has anyone tried 40k with a six year old? 

Any other games you'd recommend for someone that age?  He likes junior Carcassonne and definitely has an interest in these kind of games.

My 6 year old enjoys exploding kittens and dobble. I've had her playing flamme rouge and X wing miniatures with made up rules which she enjoyed too. I've been meaning to get her playing Carcassonne, will report back.

I tried some stripped down Deadzone with my 6 year old, using star wars minis. The rules were already simpl were made even mroe so, and to be honest we ended up just moving them around the board going 'pew pew pew!'. Which was fun, but not gaming.

Now, though, my eight and ten year olds love Lord of the Rings.

18 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

After recently reading Eisenhorn, I quite fancy getting back into 40k - not played for years and don't have any models any more, but see they do a £25 starter set thing.

However.... this would be more fun with someone to play with, and I wondered if it's too soon to get my son into this. 

Has anyone tried 40k with a six year old? 

Any other games you'd recommend for someone that age?  He likes junior Carcassonne and definitely has an interest in these kind of games.

40k takes too long with any reasonable sized force, and there are chunky periods of time sitting around doing nothing in which you'll lose his interest (most likely). Killteam is a much better starting point for the universe - self contained but expandable, faster paced, easier to learn/explain and more interactivity between players. Plus, you could house rule it to oblivion to ensure it's fun and engaging (ie not reading lots of tables, and instead "hits on a 5 or 6")

• Upvote 2

That’s a much better suggestion though I would say 6 is still a bit young. My 7 year old is showing an interest though. 

My 7 year old really likes stuff like machi koro, go nuts for donuts, labyrinth, monopoly deal, uno. He’s played ticket to ride but not sure he really got it. 

1 hour ago, And said:

That’s a much better suggestion though I would say 6 is still a bit young. My 7 year old is showing an interest though. 

My 7 year old really likes stuff like machi koro, go nuts for donuts, labyrinth, monopoly deal, uno. He’s played ticket to ride but not sure he really got it. 

Machi Koro, Sushi Go, Exploding Kittens, Super Rhino Hero, Dr Eureka, Odins Raven, Coconuts are much better starting places for gaming than 40k.

That said, get him some cheap figures and some paints and you'd have a wonderful weekend just making a mess.

• Upvote 1

If he likes Marvel then Heroclix might be a better place to start. Or Heroclix figures with a sort of bodged combination of the rules of each.

Warhammer Underworlds is a nice intro to the whole GW minis gaming thing, but 6 is still a bit young to be honest. I think you've got another 2-3 years before you can properly play anything like that. As others have said there's a whole bunch of games that are better suited for playing with young kids. I'll add Cockroach Poker, Karuba, Geistes Blitz and Dragon's Breadth to the list of good ones for kids.

• Upvote 1