IGNORED

EVE Echoes - mobile space sandbox MMO

TehStu

Ok, what's the difference between basic and standard omega clone?

I don't mind paying for games I get into with reasonable free/paid stuff, think I'm $50 into Pokémon Go at this point. The Omega stuff isn't clear though, at least in game. 

The basic one, which I have gives you skill time bonus. You also get premium log in each day loot. Not really sure what else. Probably more slots to sell on the market or something. 

No one appears to be buying off the market currently, at least not my stuff, but then it is inflated prices. :)

Ok, bought that one. Looks like skills train a bit faster, too. 

https://evemaps.dotlan.net/

For newcomers, may be of use. The political stuff only applies to EVE Online, but it's useful to have a map. There's probably a super high res single graphic out there. 

I'm in The Citadel. Looks like you need Tech 5 unlocked for Corp management, don't mind prioritizing that unless someone gets there first (play time is going to be super sporadic, hence being stuck on a phone for gaming). 

Doing some encounters. Lordy I've missed this game so much. Even the music relaxes me. I need to get a proper PC one of these days.

Anyway, as I haven't played seriously for years, some interesting observations - unsure if these are also on desktop version, or if optimizations for mobile:

- if you click a target and select orbit, it automatically picks the optimal distance for your weapons. That's something you had to know yourself and select very specifically on desktop EVE. Like it

- once you start your turrets firing, they'll move to the next locked target once destroyed. Again, used to be manual

- selecting a wreck and loot means you automatically approach it and hold a distance to loot it. Such a time saver

- if you've run an encounter and don't know how to get home, go to your inventory (it's the cube under your picture on the 3 quick slots). Go to personal inventory, select the relevant station, and hit Jump (bottom) then autopilot (over on the left).

Tips for noobies:

Get out there doing combat related Encounters asap. Swap out those civilian modules for Mk1 whatever. Note the higher capacitor requirements, because it's entirely possible to have a set of modules that run your capacitor dry eventually (which might be OK, if you damage quickly enough to finish encounters before then). Figure out what sort of tanking you need to do, as I'm not sure I saw it explained. Example, Caldari shield tank

edit - just notice the basic Omega login rewards include 2 or 3 ships during the 30 days. Can see that giving players a serious leg up at the start of the game.

Edit - looks like tech levels are skill points based? Like, hit a certain skill point total. In the beta, you needed to attain levels of specific skills, and I've spent ages trying to figure out what they were. Nope, just raw total, it seems. 

For anyone interested, it turns out this does indeed have cross progression (and maybe cross play?). I logged in with my Twitter account on my Android phone to start with, then did the same on my iPad and continued right where I left off. :D

Anyone done an encounter where you need to deliver, say, 100 units of pyroxeres a few jumps? Do you need to buy it, or collect it and deliver? I'm doing a courier mission right now and it explicitly tells me which station to fetch the thing from, so I'm guessing the large payout for the other resource delivery is because you need to source the materials yourself.

6 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Anyone done an encounter where you need to deliver, say, 100 units of pyroxeres a few jumps? Do you need to buy it, or collect it and deliver? I'm doing a courier mission right now and it explicitly tells me which station to fetch the thing from, so I'm guessing the large payout for the other resource delivery is because you need to source the materials yourself.

Yeah you need to buy or mine the minerals yourself. Hardly any profit though. Best ones to do are the faction specific ones.

2 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Yeah you need to buy or mine the minerals yourself. Hardly any profit though. Best ones to do are the faction specific ones.

Makes sense, just noticed they're usually called "acquisition" something or other, too. Also just noticed that Encounters have little arcs, so there's a bonus reward if you complete the set. When you're in the encounter mission details, click the little row of icons above the isk reward.

18 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Makes sense, just noticed they're usually called "acquisition" something or other, too. Also just noticed that Encounters have little arcs, so there's a bonus reward if you complete the set. When you're in the encounter mission details, click the little row of icons above the isk reward.

I noticed the bonus but I thought it was a market sale. :(

Hmm, some of the bonuses I've seen look like loot boxes, which suit whatever faction the mission givers are? Like named armour repers and stuff.

Anyway, noticed you can create chat channels. Created rllmuk. Click the SMS App type icon in the chat window (middle icon), click +, then enter rllmuk and click Join. You'll then want to click rllmuk in the list on the left, above System, Help, etc.

Edit

1624401502_Screenshot_20200814-154547_EVEEchoes2.thumb.png.98f09f23e21dd83a07b324c134bb387d.png

Chat icon to access to the channel highlighted red. Once you're in, you might want to hit the filter, green, to hide the Help channel. So much text it drowns everything out. 

The whole "daily rewards" thing has been going on in main EVE for quite a while and I fucking hate it. It gives you pointless shit and clutters up your item hanger with worthless shit. The only good stuff you get is 150,000 sp if you keep logging in day after day. Everything else is shite.

8 hours ago, TehStu said:

Doing some encounters. Lordy I've missed this game so much. Even the music relaxes me. I need to get a proper PC one of these days.

Anyway, as I haven't played seriously for years, some interesting observations - unsure if these are also on desktop version, or if optimizations for mobile:

- if you click a target and select orbit, it automatically picks the optimal distance for your weapons. That's something you had to know yourself and select very specifically on desktop EVE. Like it

- once you start your turrets firing, they'll move to the next locked target once destroyed. Again, used to be manual

- selecting a wreck and loot means you automatically approach it and hold a distance to loot it. Such a time saver

- if you've run an encounter and don't know how to get home, go to your inventory (it's the cube under your picture on the 3 quick slots). Go to personal inventory, select the relevant station, and hit Jump (bottom) then autopilot (over on the left).

Tips for noobies:

Get out there doing combat related Encounters asap. Swap out those civilian modules for Mk1 whatever. Note the higher capacitor requirements, because it's entirely possible to have a set of modules that run your capacitor dry eventually (which might be OK, if you damage quickly enough to finish encounters before then). Figure out what sort of tanking you need to do, as I'm not sure I saw it explained. Example, Caldari shield tank

edit - just notice the basic Omega login rewards include 2 or 3 ships during the 30 days. Can see that giving players a serious leg up at the start of the game.

Edit - looks like tech levels are skill points based? Like, hit a certain skill point total. In the beta, you needed to attain levels of specific skills, and I've spent ages trying to figure out what they were. Nope, just raw total, it seems. 

None of the features you decribed are in the main game. You still have to click on targat after target. you don't appraoch wrecks unless you specifically click on and tell it to approach etc . The reason for this is probably to do with fleets as that would screw up FC's target calling etc.

Well, you still have to click the wreck, but selecting the loot option also flys you into range is you're not already. Sounds like they made some mechanics changes to make the cramped touch UI easier. 

270 hours until Level 5 so I can get that damn Corp management skill. Balls. 

I notice you can't buy Biology skills yet, I guess they can ease those features into the game as they reasonably expect people to get to the appropriate sp total or something. 

Don’t forget you can buy Omega status with PLEX. I managed to gain enough ISK (and then some) to buy enough PLEX for a month of Basic Omega.

Go to your character page and select your current account level to purchase different levels for PLEX (instead of buying in the store).

At about 9000 isk per Plex, that's 500 for the month's basic omega at 4.5 million isk? Something to look at later, when the money flows. 

I wonder why we needed this stupid second virtual currency. Don't know the name, it's got a red icon. They already had a perfectly workable Plex system from desktop EVE. 

Oh nice, half way to a basic just from running easy encounters. 

I've been thinking about what this game is long term, as I always do with mobile games. Haven't got time to commit to crap. Right now, the skill structure is pretty basic. Like, the only thing enabled is combat and funding combat, really. I haven't seen the road map, but I assume they'll add all the other stuff - alliances, vast ships, player owned stations, etc - later on, as they did with desktop EVE. Not worried, makes sense to have a basic game and see where the numbers go. EVE didn't start out with these things either, alliances were just loosely agreed things with a group chat. 

Anyway, I've got the T4 destroyer as an advanced tutorial reward, really didn't take any effort. I note basic omega 30 day reward is a battle cruiser. So unless people play poorly, I'm not sure there will be a vast need for a steady supply of ships yet. Still fancy making stuff, but going to ensure there's a solid plan B first. 

Edit - scratch that, the ability to create structures is under industrial skills. Awesome. 

A day or so ago, I noticed 967 people in local in Jita. Later that day, I couldn't fly through Jita because it was too busy. Still the same as of right now, no idea how many people are in there.

I'm not 100% sure why Jita is so busy, possibly something to do with the marketplace? Or maybe the fact it was such a busy hub in EVE desktop. I recall early on in EVE, 200 ish would bring the system to its knees. The more things change, the more things stay the same.

200 hours until corp management, I can tell everyone is excited to join a corp.

2 hours ago, Jashin said:

I’m still trying to work out how I transferred from my ship to my capsule without knowing it. And now I can’t find my ship again.

If you dock, is it listed in your assets? I can shout you a ship if not, what were you flying? 

I just realized there's effectively a skills cap on free accounts, as some skills have the little omega sign next to them. I mean, I get it, desktop EVE does the same thing and there has to be some benefit to forking out. I think free accounts still have plenty they can do though, casual play or otherwise. Plus as noted, the basic omega thing is actually quite cheap in terms of isk. At least at the moment, I assume a Plex can be traded and go up and down in price like any other commodity. 

On 17/08/2020 at 20:32, TehStu said:

A day or so ago, I noticed 967 people in local in Jita. Later that day, I couldn't fly through Jita because it was too busy. Still the same as of right now, no idea how many people are in there.

I'm not 100% sure why Jita is so busy, possibly something to do with the marketplace? Or maybe the fact it was such a busy hub in EVE desktop. I recall early on in EVE, 200 ish would bring the system to its knees. The more things change, the more things stay the same.

200 hours until corp management, I can tell everyone is excited to join a corp.

Jita has a constant 1000 plus in it in the main game. This despite perimiter having a keepstar citadel for trading in.

I avoid Jita as much as possible. If you do need to enter, just keep pressing the jump button. Might take a few minutes. There is always hundreds of ships waiting on the perimiter gate at all times for no reason. Impressive to see, if quite laggy.

Finally almost lost my destroyer :) That'll teach me to be complacent. I think it was drones? Or some AI sounding faction. Anyway, got me to armour and low cap before I turned that one around. Made sure I kept them at 20k for rest of that anomaly. Everywhere else I can practically AFK it, so that was unexpected.

Tech 5 soon. Can't decide whether to turn the destroyer into a mega rank or get up into the caracal. I hear it's a beast. Not sure where destroyer fits into the big picture, they weren't a thing last I played. 

Holy shit, the prototype destroyer you get for Omega day 10 login reward is good. If you fit the named decomposer guns they gave you before, it's 130 DPS (3x high) and I don't have any decomposer skills yet, just what you start with. I'm quite proficient with small missiles and my (3x) mk3 small missiles do 70 DPS. Better shield. Massive cap, lasts 3 times as long as my Talwar's. 

Edit - of course, missiles have very broad damage, whereas these are very specific. They're going to be terrible against some ships and annihilate others. 

12 hours ago, TehStu said:

Holy shit, the prototype destroyer you get for Omega day 10 login reward is good. If you fit the named decomposer guns they gave you before, it's 130 DPS (3x high) and I don't have any decomposer skills yet, just what you start with. I'm quite proficient with small missiles and my (3x) mk3 small missiles do 70 DPS. Better shield. Massive cap, lasts 3 times as long as my Talwar's. 

Edit - of course, missiles have very broad damage, whereas these are very specific. They're going to be terrible against some ships and annihilate others. 

You also get a prototype battlecruiser of the same ilk. Stats for both ships are on par with the navy issue ones. Very rare and can't be sold, which is awesome, but might make you a target.

I can make a Corp around lunchtime tomorrow, assuming it doesn't cost a mint. If anyone fancies joining up, suggestions for names welcomed! Probably best have rllmuk in the title, I often find myself searching for it in games like this, on the off chance that someone made one.