rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Keyboard Koala

Deadly Premonition 2 - out now on Switch!

H2x1_NSwitchDS_DeadlyPremonition2_image1

A sequel to 2010’s cult favorite Deadly Premonition is finally on its way and it will release as a launch exclusive on Nintendo Switch. 

SWERY is once again writing and directing the sequel (that is actually meant to be a prequel), which will follow FBI agent Aaliyah Davis as she investigates an old serial killer case in Boston. Aaliyah’s new case also has a connection to a 14-year-old case in New Orleans that was investigated by FBI agent Francis York Morgan, the protagonist of the first game. Players will control both characters, it seems, as their stories intersect and reveal clues about each other’s cases.

For Switch players who missed out on the first game when it was released, they’ll still be able to catch up. A new version of the original game, called Deadly Premonition Origins, is available on the Nintendo eShop.

Debut trailer:

Launch trailer:

Deadly Premonition 2 is scheduled for a Summer release on Nintendo Switch in 2020.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I'm concerned they'll never be able to recreate that special blend of brilliant story and dreadful gameplay of the first game. 

It would be amazing if they did. I don't think I've ever played such a brilliantly crap game. Amazing. 

I watched both Endurance Run’s back in the day for some reason, so I feel intimately familiar with the first game. Bizarre to think that was...so long ago.

Downloading the first now while it’s on sale. If a game is worth doing wrong right 2 times it’s worth doing wrong a third. Or only during lockdown and under no other circumstances.

Either way there’s a sunk cost thing at play here that means I need to be ready for this.

Surely this should be getting more hype now? Is it going to be as awful* as the first one?

*One of the best games ever made. 

The first Deadly Premonition was a sincere piece of weirdness. I worry that with the sequel they're actually trying to make the game so bad its good, much like how those god awful Sharknado films turn to the camera and go "yeah yeah we know its shit isnt that HILARIOUS!".

Will wait for reviews before making a purchase.

2 hours ago, Gambit said:

The first Deadly Premonition was a sincere piece of weirdness. I worry that with the sequel they're actually trying to make the game so bad its good, much like how those god awful Sharknado films turn to the camera and go "yeah yeah we know its shit isnt that HILARIOUS!".

Will wait for reviews before making a purchase.

This is the worry I have. Also have they changed York's voice? 

No, it's the same actor but I think there's a younger version of the character with a different actor as well. 

Reviews are coming in. They're not great. Seems like the performance is a complete train wreck, framerate that even dips into the 10's.  :(

25 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Reviews are coming in. They're not great. Seems like the performance is a complete train wreck, framerate that even dips into the 10's.  :(

Some of them are great and some are bad. Lots of "If you liked the first you'll like this" Also it would be deadly premonition if it didn't perform like crap!

1 minute ago, pulsemyne said:

Some of them are great and some are bad. Lots of "If you liked the first you'll like this" Also it would be deadly premonition if it didn't perform like crap!

I don't know. I mean, the controls, animation and graphics were wonky as hell, but I don't remember the framerate ever dipping that low.

Jim Sterling did a review. Performance is very poor. Time stamped for your convenience.

1 hour ago, Gambit said:

I don't know. I mean, the controls, animation and graphics were wonky as hell, but I don't remember the framerate ever dipping that low.

The split screen sections got down to the lows 10's on the first game I think. It was still amazing. Think I'll wait for a sale for this one though! 

And Jim gave the original a 10/10 so nobody is a big a fan as him.

Think I'll wait to see if it gets patched.

This is awful. Deadly Premonition was such an amazing experience, but watching Jim Sterling's review makes me sad. 

I always thought that Deadly Premonition was a fantastic game which, due to languishing in development hell was basically an incredible PlayStation 2 game that happened to be running on your Xbox 360.  But Swery's other games in the interim show that he has the talent and his team can do good stuff. 

Deadly Premonition convinces you that it is 'so bad it's good' until the game becomes unbelievably good on its own merits. It lulls you into a false sense of security, and you laugh how bad the game is before it rips the carpet from under you as you suddenly realise that you're playing one of the greatest video game stories ever.

So what on earth is this? It just looks shit. I'm going to go to bed now and cry all night.

Oh god. Yeah, that looks awful. I'm not willing to tolerate another poor performance once again. 

Hahaaaaaa. :(

EDIT: Holy shit the video from Jim Sterling. It looks like one of those PC assett flip games. What did they do?!?!

I think Swery was only involved in a minor role (the game was developed by Toybox Inc), so maybe this is his way of getting the Devs to sort their shit out?

If that is true, and Swery isn't happy with the final product, then this is a real sad state of affairs. :(

• Upvote 1

Eh, that's a real shame. The announcement of the sequel made me bump the original to the front of my backlog queue. It's installed and ready to go and I was hoping that by the time I get around to it, the Xbox and PlayStation versions of DP2 would have been announced. But it sounds like having better performance on the big consoles won't fix the actual issues.