Timesplitters 2

I'm not arguing that. But given the amount of time they had and the fact that they were working on one machine so could give complete dedicated time to learning th ins and outs of the N64 like only Nintendo could, I'm not surprised. I would wager, hypothetically, that given four years the FRD team could probably come up with something equally as good, if not better.

Yeah, but saying "It could have been as good or better trhan Perfect Dark, if..." isn't much of an argument in TS2's favour, is it? I mean, I'm sure Rare had much more in the way of funding and resources at their disposal, but the end product is the only thing that matters.

Yeah, but saying "It could have been as good or better trhan Perfect Dark, if..." isn't much of an argument in TS2's favour, is it? I mean, I'm sure Rare had much more in the way of funding and resources at their disposal, but the end product is the only thing that matters.

I'm not saying that TS2 is better than PD. It isn't. I just don't think they should be compared as they do different things. In its one player game, TS2 apes GE and PD - whether for good or ill is dependent on the person. But it's in the kerrazy! multiplayer and challenges that TS2 shines.

As for the time to create something argument - I think it is valid. Rare, if not a nintendo 2nd party would never have survived with their ethos. It's a rare position to be in to be able to say it'll be out when it's ready. I think FRD would have liked some more time but I imagine Eidos needed a hit to please the share holders. Hence the games release, bugs and twitchyness intact.

Simply adding a bunch of wacky options to the game doesn't fix the core gameplay and design issues that are present. I wanted to like TS2, I really did, I wanted an arcadey, fun blaster for those times I got too scared of fighting Elites in Halo. The wealth of options and game modes looked yummy, and I suppose they were, but if they haven't got the basics down there's no point in any extras. It would've been fine had the gameplay been adequate, it didn't need to be exceptional, but in my opinion it was poor.

If FRD could've made a decent game in 4 years then they should've spent 4 years making TS2. Whether its early release is the fault of FRD, the publishers or anyone else it doesn't matter, wherever you place the blame you're still stuck with the result that the game is ass.

I've played it on easy, that gave me a good experience. Now I'm working on normal (in a very slow pace) and I love the way they change the map,and make it different than easy-mod, just like goldeneye. Challanges are fun too. I bought it on sale, worth every penny :unsure:

...it's in the kerrazy! multiplayer and challenges that TS2 shines.

Despite having half the features of the TS2 multiplayer, I still had much more fun with my mates playing GE than I've ever had with TS2. It's still good, but I don't think it's as good.

I suppose that's only my opinion though, and whether GE is any better at all is subjective.

I enjoyed TS2, particularly in multiplay. The co-op is fun. The challenges are interesting and surprising. The Circus music is fantastic, very reminiscent of a Danny Elfman composition. I don't understand why people have a problem with the 'story'. Surely it's only there as an excuse to use lots of different settings for levels, scenery and enemies? Why does there always have to be an interesting and well crafted story to a game of this type?

I enjoyed Timesplitters 2. I thought the gameplay was generally well tuned, and there was plenty of variety in the levels and weaponry.

I'm surprised at the bile being exhibited towards the title here, I'm sure that when it came out most of the people here were enjoying it just as much as I was.

I'm certainly looking forward to the next Timesplitters game, and the rumoured horror title FRD are working on. Or whatever they're working on, frankly. At least there's one British indie that still "gets it".

From the Perspective of a PS2 owner - TS2 has some strengths, but many weaknesses.

It is the only four-player FPS worth owning on the PS2. The system link is pretty good too.

The single player story game is poor, with very few decent levels.

How Edge gave it a 9/10 is beyond me. It is more like a 7.

I only player TS2 on multiplayer, the single player games grow tiresome after a while.

If you own a decent PC or an Xbox I think TS2 would be a real disappointment. When the only competition on the PS2 when it came out was Medal of Honor, a dodgy Unreal conversion and Quake 3, you can see why it was well received by the PS2 community hungry for their own Halo.

From a technical perspective FRD did a good job with the coding. But the level design is uninspired, weak and derivative. The bot AI is insanely fun, but this can't make up for the poor level design decisions.

Also on the PS2 the map maker is a real missed opportunity because it is so limited because of memory constraints.

In hindsight TS2 is not much of a progression from TS1. TS2 promises much but over the long haul fails to deliver. But the first story level is ace, and makes the rest of the game look very poor.

I really loved TS1 on the PS2. I enjoyed the single player missions even though I can see that they are not that special. (Find object then get out, and the AI was nothing stunning.)

I loved the multiplayer maps on TS1. I spent loads of hours playing this 4 player splitscreen. Loved it. Though most of the maps are too big for 4 and the weapon balance felt all wrong. (Bouncy bullets would just kill everybody) But with the correct weapon set and the right map it was lovely. It had hardly any slow down and nice crisp colourful graphics.

I was so looking forward to TS2. But I found it dull. I think it comes down to the terrible AI of the bots and the required learning of the maps. The bots merely have trigger points and run at you. They do this even if you already have started shooting in anticipation of them. Then there is something wrong with the aiming. It just doesn't feel right. I suspect that it is the gun animation, it wiggles, it annoys me, it makes me not be able to aim.

In multiplayer the maps still felt too big. The weapon balance again felt wrong. I had to unlock the multiplayer maps (i hate that!). Rockets fly through people quite often. The graphics are bland too.

• 17 years later...

He’s just cycling through the characters at the moment, and all the females have names like Busty St. Claire and Plenty ‘O Boob, and are proportioned accordingly. 

Christ!

Apparently you need to reach a section with an arcade machine, located towards the end of the game, to unlock it. Once unlocked, it’ll stay that way. Saw someone offering a save file download yesterday.

• 1 month later...