rllmuk
Benny

The Official Rllmuk Awards 2019 & Games of the Decade - VOTING CLOSED

1 hour ago, Benny said:

We don't have as many entries as last year, so I'm officially going to extend the deadline until I arbitrarily close it (probably in the next few weeks)

I'm working through mine. 10 years is a lot of gaming and I'm still remembering games that deserve a slot. Not sure if others are in the same boat.

That's good. I should at least get through Control, and it's certainly a contender so far. But I'm sure Death Stranding will still take too long.

Game of the Year

A1. Resident Evil 2

A2. Gears 5

A3. Sekiro

A4. Baba is You

A5. Untitled Goose Game

Biggest Disappointment of the Year (game, hardware, or anything else)

Z1. Anthem

Z2.

Z3.

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Untitled Goose Game

S2. Resident Evil 2

S3. Sekiro

Visual Design of the Year

V1. Gears 5

V2. Untitled Goose Game

V3. Call of Duty Modern Warfare

Writing of the Year

W1. Outer Worlds

W2. Outer Wilds

W3.

Gaming Format (System) of the Year

F1. 

Publisher or Developer of the Year

P1. 

Best Supported Game (released pre 2019) of the Year

B1. Fortnite

Your game of the year that didn't come out this year (basically what is your favourite game you played this year that came out in 2018 or earlier)

X1. Dead Cells

Best game character of the year

C1. Goose (Untitled Goose Game)

C2. Kate (Gears 5)

C3. Baba

And the big one:

Game of the Decade

D1. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the WIld

What can you say that hasn't already been said?

D2. Mass Effect 2

Yes, it lacks the Mako stuff, but what is here is genuinely astonishing.

D3. The Last of Us

Naughty Dog's best game by a country mile.

D4. Halo Reach

The ultimate way to sign off your work on the best FPS franchise around.

D5. Resident Evil 2

This should not be this good. Yet, here it is.

D6. The Witness

A summer spent with my son puzzling through this was just a great time for me. Special in many ways.

D7. Titanfall 2

The best single player FPS this generation by a huge margin.. 

D8. Zombi U

Genuinely terrifying in all the right ways. That fucking nursery...

D9. Nintendo Land

Written off by so many, there is so much fun and depth in this that we still play this today. Full of amazing moments and touches.

D10. Spec Ops: The Line

Horrific and hard hitting. 

Honorary Mentions in no specific order:

Spoiler

Fez

Tomb Raider

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Uncharted 4

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Silent Hill Shattered Memories

Super Mario 3D Land

Super Mario 3D World

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

Skyrim

Batman: Arkham City

Ico & Shadow of Colossus Collection

Gears of War 3

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Halo 4

Bayonetta 2

Mario Kart 8

Metal Gear Solid V

Doom

Firewatch

Resident Evil 7

God of War

Her Story

Bayonetta

Super Mario Odyssey

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Rock Band 3

Untitled Goose Game

Baba is You

Gears 5

Sekiro

Bloodbourne

Cuphead

Shudder

Devil Daggers

Downwell

Gone Home

Papers, Please

It fucking pains me to leave some of them out...

• Upvote 3

Just to say, glad of a bit more time for this year. Going to buy Control tomorrow, need to play A Plague Tale, and working my through Outer Worlds and Wilds,

11 hours ago, Benny said:

We don't have as many entries as last year, so I'm officially going to extend the deadline until I arbitrarily close it (probably in the next few weeks)

Fully intend to do this over next few days so that's much appreciated!

Can I just ask, as the results have not been collated yet, can I just edit my post, or do I need to quote it and change it?

1 hour ago, APM said:

Can I just ask, as the results have not been collated yet, can I just edit my post, or do I need to quote it and change it?

Edit away - deadline is still open so edits are fine until I say otherwise.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Benny said:

Edit away - deadline is still open so edits are fine until I say otherwise.

Sweet! Any idea when the deadline will be yet?

Here we go then. Pretty clear that I haven't played many new games this year, but some of those I did play really struck me and I wanted to shout them out.

I hope Celeste's DLC is OK to count as a major expansion - it's a sprawling extra chapter with new mechanics and story, plus a whole album's worth of soundtrack.

Game of the Year

A1. Outer Wilds

A2. Sayonara Wild Hearts

A3. Tetris 99

A4. Celeste - Farewell

A5. Untitled Goose Game

Honourable Mentions: Dicey Dungeons, Flappy Fighter, Grindstone, Super Mario Maker 2, Link’s Awakening Remaster, Pikuniku

Biggest Disappointment of the Year (game, hardware, or anything else)

Z1. Poor treatment of talented game-makers by shit execs

Z2. Poor treatment of talented game journalists by shit execs

Z3. Gamergate is still rumbling quietly on and social platforms are OK with it

Z4. I haven’t used my PS4 fightstick in over six months: Street Fighter V just is not going to tempt me back, and I’m sad about that

Z5. My continued failure to muster enthusiasm for Red Dead Redemption 2

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Sayonara Wild Hearts

S2. Outer Wilds

S3. Celeste - Farewell

Visual Design of the Year

V1. Outer Wilds

V2. Sayonara Wild Hearts

V3. Untitled Goose Game

Writing of the Year

W1. Outer Wilds

W2. Celeste - Farewell

W3. Dicey Dungeons

F1. Nintendo Switch

P1. Annapurna Interactive

Best Supported Game (released pre 2019) of the Year

B1. n/a

Your game of the year that didn't come out this year (basically what is your favourite game you played this year that came out in 2018 or earlier)

X1. What Remains of Edith Finch

C1. Untitled Goose, Untitled Goose Game

C2. Capitalist Toadette, Super Mario Maker 2

C3. Baby Squid, Dicey Dungeons

Game of the Decade

D1. Celeste

D2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

D3. Portal 2

D4. Ultra Street Fighter IV

D5. The Witness

D6. Hollow Knight

D7. Super Hexagon

D8. Tetris 99

D9. What Remains of Edith Finch

D10. Fez

Honourable Mentions: VVVVVV, Tetris Effect, Outer Wilds, Sayonara Wild Hearts, Untitled Goose Game, Desert Golfing, Super Mario Odyssey, Her Story, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Maker 1 & 2, Disco Zoo, One Finger Death Punch, Super Stickman Golf 2 & 3, Cookie Clicker, A Dark Room, Alto's Adventure, Guacamelee 1 & 2, Super Meat Boy, Donut County, that’s enough now this is getting silly

• Upvote 7

Game of the Year

A1. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age

A2. Pistol Whip

A3. Shadow Point

A4. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

A5. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Z1. Gears 5

Z2.

Z3.

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Pistol Whip

S2.

S3.

V1. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age

V2. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

V3.

Writing of the Year

W1. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age

W2.

W3.

F1. Oculus Quest

P1.

B1. No Man's Sky

Your game of the year that didn't come out this year (basically what is your favourite game you played this year that came out in 2018 or earlier)

X1. The Talos Principle

C1.

C2.

C3.

And the big one:

Game of the Decade

D1. Destiny

D2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

D3. Rock Band 3

D4. Mass Effect 2

D5. Astro Bot

D6. Superhot VR

D7. The Witness

D8. Beat Saber

D9. Portal 2

D10. Rocksmith 2014

It was already an exhilarating rhythm action game featuring stupendous next level waggle and one of VR's finest, but Beat Saber on Quest feels much more than it did on PS4 with untethered freedom and the ease of simply popping the headset on every time I want some quick block slicing action. The recent 360 mode a great evolution. Oculus Quest is a massive step forward for VR gaming and wins platform of the year by a mile. Luigi’s Mansion 3 looks and sounds amazing and is a joy to gently explore and capture alone or with another. Mario Maker 2 is the brilliant Mario Maker, but expanded in small but significant ways. It’s not as suited to Switch though and was too overfamiliar to have the impact the first one had on me. It's the original then that makes my top 10 of the decade. Kine is a really decent puzzle game that tells a lovely story with levels well designed to convey the emotion of relationships and situations the characters find themselves in through gameplay.  Untitled Goose Game reminded me that I do actually like sandbox openworld games, it’s just that almost all of them are way too big and bloated and not funny enough. 

Game of the Year

A1. Beat Saber

A2. Luigi’s Mansion 3

A3. Super Mario Maker 2

A4. Kine

A5. Untitled Goose Game

Biggest Disappointment of the Year (game, hardware, or anything else)

Z1. The existence of Mario Kart Tour

Z2.   

Z3.

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Luigi’s Mansion 3

S2. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening

S3. Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair

Visual Design of the Year

V1. Luigi’s Mansion 3

V2. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening

V3. Untitled Goose Game

Writing of the Year

W1. Kine

W2.

W3.

F1. Oculus Quest

P1. Nintendo

Best Supported Game (released pre 2019) of the Year

B1. 

Your game of the year that didn't come out this year (basically what is your favourite game you played this year that came out in 2018 or earlier)

X1. Into the Breach

C1. Luigi

C2. The Goose

C3. 

And the big one:

Game of the Decade

D1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

D2. Super Mario Galaxy 2

D3. Mario Kart 8 

D4. Motorstorm Apocalypse

D5. New Super Mario Bros U 

D6. Super Mario Odyssey

D7. Beat Saber

D8. The Witness

D9. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze 

D10. Super Mario Maker

The big three could be in any order. Skyward Sword is Zelda not for everyone, but the stars aligned for me. A game that wouldn't have been made by anyone other than Nintendo at that particular point in time. The motion controls are wonderful, particularly the sword combat, but it's also the linear Zelda template taken to new heights, with amazing dungeons and the best character driven story of the series. Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are the pinnacle of 3D platform gaming and the most magical of roller coaster home console thrill rides. The sequel’s levels even surpass the original. And Mario Kart 8 is the best arcade racing game we’ve seen with incredible all skill levels online competitive multiplayer. 4-10 after that could be in pretty much any order too and could well have included games like Portal 2, Flower, The Last Guardian, Pikmin 3, Splatoon, VVVVVV, Super Mario 3D World, Astro Bot, Nintendo Land and Rocket League.

• Upvote 4

Depending on how the scoring works, The Witness is doing really well for game of the decade. Seems to pop up in the majority of lists. The lack of Cuphead is distressing me though. :mad:

12 hours ago, Hylian said:

The lack of Cuphead is distressing me though. :mad:

Maybe if they released it on Gamepass, more would play it. I know I'm not alone in not wanting to buy the game outright due to its widely reported level of infuriatingly hard difficulty. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Maybe if they released it on Gamepass, more would play it. I know I'm not alone in not wanting to buy the game outright due to its widely reported level of infuriatingly hard difficulty. 

This.

• Upvote 1

On 06/01/2020 at 22:12, Hylian said:

Depending on how the scoring works, The Witness is doing really well for game of the decade. Seems to pop up in the majority of lists. The lack of Cuphead is distressing me though. :mad:

Interesting observation about the witness. I've played it and enjoyed it but it didn't even make the cut for my top 50. Not that it was a bad game but my approach to my top games has been focussed on those that put a smile on my face and I don't remember the witness doing that even once.

1 hour ago, BeeJay said:

Interesting observation about the witness. I've played it and enjoyed it but it didn't even make the cut for my top 50. Not that it was a bad game but my approach to my top games has been focussed on those that put a smile on my face and I don't remember the witness doing that even once.

I think as soon as I moved around in that beautiful rock solid 60 fps environment I had a smile on my face.

• Upvote 2

Edit is only for commentary

Game of the Year

A1. Darksiders Genesis

I waffled at length in both this games shamefully tiny thread and the  2020 completion thread  (hey I played most of it in 2019 okay).  So yes its my pick of the year for 2019.  Why?  Well its the best Darksiders game since II and whilst its masquerading as a Diablo clone its actually well a Darksiders game.   Basically if Zelda had more platforming and hitting people - only from an isometric perspective.  Crunchy combat, big maps to explore, lose of secrets, environmental puzzles unlocked with combinations of your abilities, fantastic artwork, returning loveable cast of characters.  Your mileage realistically is going to vary dependent on your love for the series, but this is basically everything a Darksiders' fan wanted but didn't know they wanted.

A2. The Division 2

Ubisoft manage to deliver a game that fails at being a GASS but delivers massively as a truly epic cover shooter.  Whilst I would never have been even vaguely arsed to chase yet another LMG, there is 70+ hours of really great single player shooter action here.  And it looks absolutely phenomenal.  So sod the endhgame, enjout the masses of content provided.

A3. The Outer Worlds

If Mass Effect, Fallout and KOTR had a baby using the aesthetic of Bioshock this would be it

A4. Devil May Cry 5

Its more Dante, and Nero and Nero is actually almost as enjoyable to play.  And you get an interesting third character with a very different take of the series signature combat.  So yeah basically more of what made 3 and 4 great; lacks the sheer nerve of dmc (still may favourite in the series) but lot of fun.

A5. Crackdown 3

Its Crackdown - only on a current gen system.  Noting more nothing less.  The formula still works.

Z1.

Z2.

Z3.

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Darksiders Genesis

S2. The Outer Worlds

S3.

V1. The Division 2

V2.

V3.

Writing of the Year

W1. The Outer Worlds

W2.

W3.

F1. PC

P1. Nintendo

B1. Destiny 2

X1. A Hat in Time

C1. Annoying Goose

C2. Pavarti

C3. War

And the big one:

Game of the Decade

D1. Alice: Madness Returns

As its undoubtedly only me that put this on their list, let alone in first place I feel obliged to explain why.   Quite simply this remains as far as I'm concerned the best  3rd person 3D platformer of the generation (not that's a huge genre niche these days but its one I love)  but also one of the more important games if the last 10 years.  Free of the constraints of the Quake engine that rather hampered American McGee's Alice, the follow up is a bold, bleak and downright twisted take on the Alice mythos.  It has some important things to say about mental illness (along with Senua's Sacrifice one of the few games of the last decade to treat this subject with a degree of respect).  It has a brilliant story playing wildly with the unreliable narrator premise.  It still looks amazing (and incredibly ropy in places too but that's part of the appeal); a striking visualisation of a burning Wonderland symbolising the decay of Alice's mind thanks to the abuse she has suffered and Alice always looks phenomenal in every incarnation. 

It also plays wonderfully - genre flipping at will, how many other character action games can say they flow from Banjo to arty 2d platformer to pinball simulation?  The combat is satisfyingly violent - where its slashing with an elongated kitchen knife or thumping enemies over the head with a hobby horse and throwing tea grenades.

Its not perfect of course - overlong in places and the visual design doesn't truly come alive until the 3rd chapter but I've replayed this game at least 3 times in the lasyt decade and I never replay games.

I adore this game - for all its acknowledged flaws its a truly individual work of art.

D2. God of War (2018)

A cursorily glance at this list shows a clear predilection for Sony's first party input and really the last two Uncharted games  were very close to inclusion too.  And that certainly sums up this last generation for me - Sony's first party teams repeatedly knocking it out of the park and justifying the place of my PS4 as an indispensable device.

God of War is actually a favourite series of mine and one of the few multi year series I have actually played every instalment (yes even the mobile phone game - that was shit by the way)  but this was something quite unexpected and stunning in its execution.  Visually this pushed the PS4 far beyond what I ever dreamt it could do, but the level of detail in the world design is what blew me away the most.  This is one of the few games I can think of where the side quests, of which there are a multitude are almost as well realised as the main plot line; my accidental journey through a gate where I discovered a number of islands, freed an imprisoned dragon and explored an abandoned castle only to find this is nothing more than a foot note in the games mythos will always stick with me.7

Kratos, anti hero extreme is finally reinvented as a relatable human being and whilst I have some concerns about who Atreus turns out to be from Norse mythology; the parent child relationship has rarely been so well realised in a video game.

And its such a good feeling game - the combat is heavy, deep and hard hitting.  The fan service is second to none - who else let out a small cheer when we end up on a quest to find a certain weapon.  The characters new and old are well written and witty.  The plot is an engaging and inventive take on the Norse myths that plays with your preconceptions.

The main questline is epic and satisfying - the ending a massive teaser, and there is so much side content.  As I said I loved all the previous GoW games but I never could have expected they would deliver anything like this for the reboot.

D3. Destiny

This could easily have read Destiny 2 - in fact were I allowed I would merge the games as the sequel is ultimately the natural development of the original - more like another WoW expansion than a genuine sequel.

I have wasted more of my life as a Guardian then any other digital entertainment in the last ten years and for that more than anything else this warrants the games placement in my list.  

There are a million things wrong with Destiny - nerfs, haphazard storytelling, repetition  (Christ there's a lot of repetition), but what it does right is the shooting. Nothing reels does the shooting quite like Bungee manage.  And Destiny is about shooting.  And turns out perfect shooting will get you a long way.  I have raided - it was fun but I kept coming back to Destiny because well the game just feels so comfortable.  I could talk about the intricate details that The Taken King gradually revealed, the awe of arriving in the Dreaming City, the well-balanced mix  of a classic Halo campaign that was the main quest of Destiny 2.  It all counts.  I'm some 9 months out of my most recent addiction but the game will forever hold find memories for me. So yeah Destiny, maybe you had to be there at the time but what a time wee had. 

D4. Bioshock Infinite

So more controversial choices, Infinite has got more subsequent slatings than any other at the time critically acclaimed game than I can think of and I remain at a loss as to why.  Because its a fantastic game. Its a perfectly well realised FPS that plays well. And that story well, there a few games that keep you thinking beyond the credits but well Infinite stayed with me.  And well Columbia is just a more impressive world than Rapture.  Oh and also a a lovely circular  and the DLC when combined is both basically a sequel and links the series beautifully. You know what - I loved it all - so there.   <mic drop/>

D5. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

D6. Tomb Raider (2013)

D7. Darksiders II

D8. Horizon: Zero Dawn

D9. (Marvel's) Spider-man

D10. Titanfall 2

• Upvote 1

I think The Witness has a reputation of being difficult which, like Dark Souls, is born more of gatekeeping by idiots than the game’s actual character. You’ll get to points where you’re baffled but the game guides you to the revelations needed to progress very welcomingly. It’s a game that wants you to feel smart.

Edit - Didn’t make my top 10 because Fez was imbued with a lot of the same revelatory quality and I needed to cut the list down somehow, but it was close.

Game of the Year

A1. Slay the Spire

"This game was on my radar ever since I heard the devs used to run stimhack.net – a website I used to visit often during the height of my mid-2010s Netrunner obsession. I came to it quite late though, intending to wait for the Switch port as I knew I’d end up double dipping. Well, I caved and bought it back in April after the port suffered a delay. Then I bought it again in June or July when it came out on Switch. I don’t regret either purchase.

It’s just most elegantly designed roguelike I’ve ever played. 400 hours in and the decisions you make even in the first minutes of each run are just as interesting and engaging as they were when I was learning the game, if not more so. The way deck building, battle strategy and pathing all so deftly intertwine make for an endlessly replayable and joyous experience.

It also happens to be everything I want from a single player card game – all the satisfying maths and machinations involved in planning a great turn or two or three, but never having to wait for a slow opponent, or have your meticulous plans dashed by a surprise attack or misdirection, as you’ll always know what the enemy is planning. Near perfection."

A2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

"Loved the big spaces and grappling after the claustrophobia of classic Souls design. I also loved how limiting your main weapon to just a simple sword meant that the combat was more tightly designed around a consistent ability set. And once it clicked, it really clicked. I’m a little surprised I haven’t gone back to it for NG+ to be honest, but maybe I’ll rectify that soon."

A3. Dragon Quest XI S

"Felt nice to go back to a really generous serving of meat and potatoes JRPG. An absolute charmer."

A4. Super Mario Maker 2

"Making the levels is more fun than playing them, which is both brilliant and frustrating, as learning good level design is super fun, but finding well designed levels is much harder than it should be. Not to mention the mechanisms in place to get your levels played are still rather lacking. The flexibility of this easy to use set of tools is truly amazing though, and I love the possibilities afforded by them."

A5. Resident Evil 2 Remake

"I didn’t really play all that many games in 2019 to be honest, so maybe something like Control might have taken this spot if I’d played it, but I thought this was just a really solid remake. Felt great in the hands and was a joy to be back in the world I’d spent so many hours in as a teenager."

Z1. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

"Coming after Hollow Knight this felt extremely shallow, with bland, slow platforming through ugly environs, an unimaginatively linked castle, tedious side quests and bosses that took twice as long to kill than they should have. Aria of Sorrow used to be my favourite Metroidvania, so I was really hoping IGA could bring back the magic. Not to say that the game is completely awful, I did see it through and face all its optional bosses, but it never stopped feeling a bit like a chore to me."

Z2. Dicey Dungeons

"I really like Terry Cavanagh as a game designer, having spent tens of hours on the near perfection of Super Hexagon’s audio-visual overload. This just feels underbaked though, in every regard. It’ll likely feel miles better on tablet since it’s clearly been made for that, but the lack of weight or physicality to dragging the dice about – the single element of control you have in the main part of this game – feels rubbish. Other than that, the deckbuilding never felt particularly satisfying, and the difficulty curve was absolutely all over the shop. The one shining ray of light was the robot’s blackjack mechanic though – that was absolute genius."

Z3. Nintendo e-shop

"Jesus Christ how is this still such a mess."

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Slay the Spire

"Personally I dig the soundtrack, though I know it’s a bit marmite. But one of the greatest and most overlooked elements of this game is how absolutely juiced to the gills every action you take in this game is. The attacks you dish out and receive feel weighty and satisfying, and it’s the sound that really sells it. (Well, alongside some judicious screen shake). Even the sound of your cards being dealt out to you every turn feels fantastic."

S2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

"Just really solid audio feedback for fighting – great clanging and clashing and that sweet, sweet successful parry cue."

S3. Dragon Quest XI

"Okay, the OST can be really repetitive, and Koichi Sugiyama can absolutely get to fuck, but when it’s at its best it’s magical. Best level up fanfare ever!"

V1.

V2.

V3.

Writing of the Year

W1.

W2.

W3.

F1. Switch

P1. Megacrit Games

"Apart from making the best game of the year, their community interaction and continual support are exemplary, especially for a two man team!"

B1.

X1. 

C1. The Ironclad

"Just the most fun at A20. Big satisfying damage, relatively good chance of getting out of act 1 meaning you’re usually in for a satisfying session, and 4/5 times I make it to the very final challenge, it feels winnable."

C2. The Silent

"Feels really smart to play this character well. The only two problems I have are how difficult act 1 is on A20 and how wraith form can really trivialise much of the endgame."

C3. The Defect

"Really fun when you just get to play a million powers and watch them all bounce around interacting in crazy ways. Less fun when you get a billion focus and frost orbs and just pass your turn over and over as that’s more tactically sound than actually playing cards."

And the big one:

Game of the Decade

D1. Super Street Fighter IV AE ver. 2012

"This is my favourite iteration of the game, before the semi-broken, incredibly annoying characters of Ultra were introduced. It’s this version I remember most fondly as the mutual addiction of the SF thread regulars was at its communal height. Loved reading every quasi-nonsense post in that thread during the days, and hopping online in the evenings and there always being someone to play. Magic."

D2. Breath of the Wild

"This game actually delivered on every expectation implanted in your brain when viewing its gorgeous vistas in a way no other open world ever has. A massively fulfilling experience throughout."

D3. Slay the Spire

"This is an actual contender for the top spot, but is maybe a bit new, and emotionally a little less important to me than the top game right now. Still beyond brilliant though."

D4. Hollow Knight

"My favourite game of 2018 and favourite ever Metroidvania. Almost each new area, searching for the map seller or even just a bench to rest at evokes the knife-edge feeling of being at that bonfire just under the Depths in Dark Souls 1, just before Blighttown, where you’re not quite sure how to backtrack, or if it’s even possible to go back anymore, but the path forward feels so daunting you’re hesitant to push on, especially with your precious souls on the line. Borrowing that particular mechanic was a really smart move too, adding an element of tension to the sometimes perfunctory exploration that defines the genre.

The world is huge, the traversal challenges fun and varied, the combat unforgiving but tight and fair, recalling one of my favourite action game series, Mega Man Zero as well as Dark Souls."

D5. Guilty Gear Xrd: Final Rev.

"I’ve always enjoyed dabbling in Arc System Works games since the first BlazBlue on PS3, but this is the first I’ve ever enjoyed as much as Street Fighter, and has actually become my main chicken since SFV fractured the long SF-dominant FGC. Yeah, the balance is kinda nonsense (though better than BB ever was), and the level of play online is such that it’s hard get over the beginner hump, but it just feels so great to play that it’s entirely worth persevering with."

D6. Doom (2016)

"Just such a breath of fresh air after years of CoD and its legacy of cover shooter roller coaster rides. The rhythm of combat is simply intoxicating."

D7. Kentucky Route Zero

"Still the best writing I’ve come across in a video game. Not to mention the incredible atmosphere. Can’t wait to see the end later this month."

D8. Mario Odyssey

"Maybe it’s not the best 3D Mario game but I love the expanded moveset in this game. Oh, and Boswer’s castle area 2 theme slaps."

D9. Nuclear Throne

"The most JUICY player feedback in a game, ever, maybe? The first roguelike I fell in love with, and a rare marriage of visuals, gameplay and audio that feels for lack of a better word, masterly. Such a shame that this never seemed to take off in the same way that Enter the Gungeon did, which always seemed like a pale shadow compared to the exquisiteness of Nuclear Throne."

D10. Celeste

"An incredible feat of 2D platform design. The controls feel so right that almost everything feels wrong afterwards, even Mario. Honestly, I just couldn’t enjoy New Super Mario Bros. U after playing this! If only extended play sessions didn’t hurt my thumbs and fingers so much."

Almosts: Spelunky, Horizon Zero Dawn, Red Dead Redemption 2, The Last of Us, Uncharted 2, Uncharted 4, Titanfall 2, Destiny

• Upvote 7

Another amendment for me. Bloodstained. 

SOTN is one of my favourites ever and this is basically the sequel. Left it late but it's a classic. 

I'm going to draw a line in this now for edits and probably set the final deadline for new entries for this weekend. All edits are now forbidden. New entries allowed until the end of Saturday.

• Upvote 2

Is that just edits to list orders or does it include comments too? I had a few things in a word doc I'd liked to have added onto my list.

Adding just comments doesn't change the votes so that's allowed.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I'd like to add some comments, good to know I still can. :)

Game of the Year

A1. Slay the spire

"This game is just so pure, refined and re-playable. It has a balance and polish that no other card game I've played has. I can see me being able to return to this for years to come and still learn new tactics and combos."

A2. Oxygen not included

"I've been playing versions of oni for years but this year, with its official release, they managed to really bring it all together. One of my most played games of all time."

A3. Trials Rising

"Easily the best game in the series for the bike dynamics and physics. The handling feels so precise and exact. Terrible design choices outside of the core game let it down massively."

A4. The outer worlds

"On my first playthrough, the first few hours were simply brilliant and deserving of a much higher place in the list than 4th. The story was engaging and it really did offer many options for progress that weren't 'shoot someone'. The game falls off in the later stages and playing my second playthrough, shooting everything that moves, was very dull"

A5. My Time at portia

"I've tried to get in to many games of this type, stardew valley etc. and failed but something about the art style and the progression in this really worked for me. I loved the progression from lots of manual hitting stuff all the way to full factory set-up."

"Highly commended: manifold garden, outer wilds, gears 5, dirt rally 2.0, tetris 99, age of wonders planetfall, void bastards, borderlands 3, lonely mountain downhill"

X1. Last of us remastered

X2. Frostpunk

Game of the Decade

D1. Horizon Zero Dawn

"Simply, no other game captured me like HZD did. I remember the story and setting looking amazing all the way back to the E3 trailer and if anything, the final product surpassed my expectations. It really had everything for me, great story, amazing fluid combat and it looked absolutely stunning. The combat also didn't force me to play in a certain way. I could be a stealthly, bow using ninja, sliding around everywhere and it worked so satisfyingly. Unlocking the ability to control the machines just put the icing on the cake."

D2. Subnautica

"Subnautica gave me a gaming experience that was quite incredible and unexpected. The one thing that Subnautica managed to do, above all other similar games, is motivate progression and exploration, for the sake of being able to see and experience more of the incredibly beautiful world. And it is incredibly beautiful. Some of the most memorable and beautiful environments in any game."

D3. Dota 2

"I'm not playing any more, but I'm still watching, almost 10 years later. The complexity of the game and the pro scene is amazing and has provided some of the most amazing moments I've ever witnessed in compeitive sport, esport or not."

D4. Rocket League

"Before rocket league, I absolutely despised the idea of "car football". I didn't believe that it could work but it really, really did. I have nothing but huge respect for the developers who stuck with their vision over years of nearly getting it right and they deserve all the success that they are getting."

D5. Pokemon Go

"Probably the most life changing game on my list. I went from being a sedantry gamer, largely comfortable sat at home, playing games, to a social, active gamer, exploring the countryside and meeting lots of new people. From day one, people were questioning the longevity but I still play occasionaly to this day and the number of new players that our community has seen in the last year is incredible."

D6. Fez

"Another game on my list that managed to deliver on the hype. Beautiful art style, wonderful puzzle mechanics and a game which kept me engaged all the way to the end."

D7. The last of us remastered

"The last of us has to be the game on this list that I had the biggest opinion shift with. I bounced off the PS3 release massively, giving up early on. Coming back to it recently, the remaster was a completely different story, hence my choice of specifically the remaster. In so many ways, it feels like an old game. The textures are poor, the 'boss fights' feel unecessary, but none of that takes away from the interactions and relationship built up on the journey. The AI behavior never became mundane either, ensuring that the combat is enjoyable right to the end."

D8. Tactics Ogre: Let's Cling Together

D9. Xenoblade Chronicles

D10. Mass Effect 2

D11. Mutant Year Zero

D12. FTL

D13. Oxygen not included

D14. Getting over it with Bennett Foddy

D15. Card Hunter

D16. Slay the spire

D17. Sega Ages Phantasy Star

D18. Spec Ops: The Line

D19. Her Story

D20. Trials Rising

"Highly commended: lego harry potter, Monument valley, the room, uncharted 4, Forza horizon 4, metal gear solid 5, dead cells, guacamelee, x-com 2, what remains of edith finch, the binding of isaac, tearaway, super meat boy, skyrim, uncharted 3, anno 2070, orcs must die! 2, trackmania 2 canyon, persona 3 portable, hotline miami, machinarium, you must build a boat, clash of heroes, king's bounty crossworlds, banished, recettear: an item shop's tale, castlevania SOTN, deus-ex hr, enslaved: odyssey to the west, braid, don't starve, valiant hearts: the great war, firewatch, lara croft and the guardian of the light, Kingdoms: new lands"

I may add some more comments against the games of the decade, if I get time.

• Upvote 2

May have to re-do my yearly list if edits ain't allowed. 

Also, need to start and finish Ace Combat very soon as I have heard that's great and more get in the list

I am collating the entries now so hence no more edits. I've been loose enough with the deadline now so people have had plenty of time. I've noticed some posts a few months back haven't been filled in or have "will fill this in later" - tough shit on those I'm afraid, I'll collate what is there but I am not going back over the thread. I'll only be accepting new entries from now from people who haven't posted in the thread yet, up until the end of Saturday.

• Upvote 7
  • Empathy 1

@Lyrical Donut - your 4th place GotD pick (Daytona USA) is invalid. I have collated the others only. You may pick a like for like replacement for your 4th place pick before the Saturday deadline.