Apple Arcade

anewman

4 hours ago, Yiggy said:

Odd one. I played about 30 mins of What The Golf last night and when I’ve loaded it up today it’s not saved my progress. 

Probably because the save syncing uses iCloud and iCloud is apparently fucked for some people in iOS13.

20 minutes ago, Radish said:

How does one update their ipad? Mine says it's already up to date (ipad mini 5th generation, which I think is recent enough to receive the new ios?). 

You got to get the beta version of iPad OS13

What The Golf & Pinball Wizard are my favourites so far. Several insta delete not for me games too (that Frogger thing is fugly).

Thought WTG was going to be a 1 note joke but best way I can describe it is a highly imaginative golf themed Warioware style game - it's really good and perfect for touch controls on the phone.

Discoverability will be an issue I think, so much there already, just spotted the follow up game to the awesome Mini Metro, called Mini Motorways.

I think it will have a huge impact - not to the FTP market, the sort of player who says 'I'm not paying a penny to play a game' and is happy to have timers/ads etc will be served by the market that exists.

Devs trying to launch games for £2-£5 will suffer as think this will take all the oxygen out the market as people just won't need to try many of them - I happily buy a few of those each month taking a punt as a failure isn't a disaster and gives me some new things to try, no need anymore as its covered for fiver.

The paid game market will dry up I suspect other than thru this, and I don't know how distribution of revenue works so don't know how good it is for devs. Streaming music services killed record sale income but artists still had touring.

13 hours ago, Sureshot said:

- Started Apple Arcade free trial.

- Downloaded about 20 games.

- Decided to try Cricket Through the Ages first.

- Still playing Cricket Through the Ages 30 minutes later, having not touched any of the other said games.

Same, worth it for this alone

6 hours ago, Gotters said:

What The Golf & Pinball Wizard are my favourites so far. Several insta delete not for me games too (that Frogger thing is fugly).

Thought WTG was going to be a 1 note joke but best way I can describe it is a highly imaginative golf themed Warioware style game - it's really good and perfect for touch controls on the phone.

Discoverability will be an issue I think, so much there already, just spotted the follow up game to the awesome Mini Metro, called Mini Motorways.

WTG reminds me so much of the very best mobile games before it went to shit. 

So playable and inventive. I thought that before I realised you had to redo the holes with totally new and even more imaginative rule sets. Love the game parody’s in there too. Flappy bird, Mario etc. 

2 minutes ago, Strafe said:

That mini roads game would be great if the interface didn’t make it so easy to hit the wrong thing or pull down the control centre every five seconds

yup - mini metro was lovely and clean for the most part, the roads game is a bit of a mess and suspect it was rushed out for launch.

52 minutes ago, andyw said:

It was fucked in the early betas but they rolled it all back. It should be no more fucked than it is in iOS 12 now.

You’d think, but users seem to be suggesting otherwise.

I don't think premium games will go away. iOS 13 having proper controller support suddenly makes a lot of ports make *more* sense.

Apple have a $500m warchest for giving out money hats but there are a lot of developers out there with big catalogues. Having to support loads of languages and white elephant devices like Apple TV and Mac, and the ban on mature content or IAP are nuisances that devs will put up with for free money. But there are lots of games that don't fit in that box.

7 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

If you sync a PS4 pad does it then not work on a PS4 until you resend or can it be hooked up to both?

Anyone played the skateboarding game? I need a THPS fix...

I had to plug it in again to the PS4 to resync it after using it on the iPhone. The skateboarding game is good, not too bad with touch controls, but better with a controller, nice music too :) 

2 hours ago, hub2 said:

Finished 'Assemble with Care' earlier. It's essentially the first level of what should be a 7/8 level DS game. Very, very easy, and more like an interactive novel short story. I hesitate to recommend, but it is relaxing.

It’s this sort of title that I find so utterly charming and nice about many of the launch titles for it. An experience that hits emotional beats. Not your usual mobile phone game at all.