Apple Arcade

anewman

8 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

It supports controllers on iPad anyway?

yes, but the default sensitivity setting is basically unplayable. As an example I struggled to hit bronze on the first level (well not quite, but I was nowhere ends silver) using touch and strolled it with a controller. High sensitivity does help.

6 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Is there any way to have audio play through headphones plugged into a paired Dualshock 4?

Playing on Apple TV.

I doubt it, but you can use AirPods with an Apple TV. Not sure about other Bluetooth headphones - but that’s worth a try.

On 23/09/2019 at 22:31, Orbital2060 said:

My elite controller wont connect

I think only the one S controller works at the moment, and one or two of the dualshock models

I don’t think any Elite controllers have Bluetooth. 

31 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Would an '8bitdo SF30 Pro' controller work on Apple Arcade?

Apparently not. It's not MFi certified.

The old (original) SF30 used to, until iOS 11 or 12, as it worked as an iCade device. Newer ones (and newer firmware on that one) removed it though.

5 minutes ago, deKay said:

Apparently not. It's not MFi certified.

The old (original) SF30 used to, until iOS 11 or 12, as it worked as an iCade device. Newer ones (and newer firmware on that one) removed it though.

You don't need an MFi controller any more as of iOS13. That's why people are pairing PS4 controllers and stuff now.

2 minutes ago, Mogster said:

You don't need an MFi controller any more as of iOS13. That's why people are pairing PS4 controllers and stuff now.

It has to be (according to Apple), MFi or a PS4 controller or an Xbox One controller.

It's not just any controller.

Can I use controllers with Apple Arcade games?

Yes. In additional to traditional MFi (Made for iOS) controllers, you can pair some specific Bluetooth controllers for both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One with either your iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV.

Played Sayonara Wild Hearts on Apple TV last night with PS4 controller. This really could be a bit of a game changer when it comes to Apple TV gaming.

I'm intrigued to see if Digital Foundry will dome some analysis with the Apple TV now that it's a viable device with games which are ported across a variety of platforms.

I also have the older 4th gen Apple TV (the non 4K one).... if a new version comes out with an A13 chip I'm getting one.

22 minutes ago, hub2 said:

Played Sayonara Wild Hearts on Apple TV last night with PS4 controller. This really could be a bit of a game changer when it comes to Apple TV gaming.

It massively is. Stuff like Exit The Gungeon would be an exercise in frustration without one, but is joyous with one. I'm also very much enjoying playing games I've previously downloaded with a Dual Shock 4... feels like a whole new platform at this point!

I twigged why my games weren't loading in work bogs - I get super slow 3g reception and its still trying to log in to game centre and the like, going airplane mode solved it.

What the Golf is great, though I did get stuck a bit on the world map as wasn't clear what I was meant to be doing, but needed to start doing all 3 versions of a hole to get the crown then working back thru the map - good few hours in there and its still endlessly inventive to play (I'm at about 35% thru).

Pinball WIzards is a perfect phone time waster, and all the better for having no FTP elements.

Mini Motorways feels very rough and isn't a patch on Mini Metro, despite the glowing Eurogamer review I can't bond with it.

Speed Demons is worth a look if you want a top down Burnout/Spy Hunter hybrid.

Only flicked around a few of the games, but as an experience this is amazing. With the controller support Arcade has turned my iPad into a console that I didn't have before. Great distraction to have on my desk and dip into throughout the day. Really like the look of this underwater Capcom game.

Are there any shooters on this, or just straight-up arcade games?

I thought What The Golf was rubbish. It look looks a lot like like Human Fall Flat but is nowhere near as ingenious or fun to play.

There are some games Im looking forward to playing but the problem is that most of these games are still unplayable without a proper controller. My elite pad doesnt work so Im looking at buying the new elite or get one of the One S with bluetooth.

Ive tried Sayonara, Mutazione, Speed demons, Exit the Gungeon, and Way of the Turtle, and deleted them shortly as I cant deal with the touch controls.

The only games that work are puzzle games and I guess the detective games are good as well. I got Neo Cab as a last resort until I get a controller set up, and Grindstone is great.

2 hours ago, Orbital2060 said:

I thought What The Golf was rubbish. It look looks a lot like like Human Fall Flat but is nowhere near as ingenious or fun to play.

Wait, what? How far did you get in it? It doesn’t stop throwing new things at you. It’s fantastic. The bit I just got to was an unexpected and brilliant homage to one of my favourite games ever :wub:

I played maybe 6 or 7 levels of What The Golf. It only made me want to play HFF again.

Neo Cab is deleted as well, way too much talking and the whole premise of managing your mood and have gameplay centered around that is a .. downer.  Not for me.

Im left with a pretty short list of games that I want to play once I got a controller:

Over the Alps

Shinsekai Into the Depths

Mutazione

And Im missing a AAA game on the service, or something to make the service really stand out. A triple A mascot game for Apple.

As of now the most important thing about the Arcade is that it coincided with ios13 and the addition of controllers. Without that this would have been just another bunch of unplayable games for mobile phones.

37 minutes ago, MrHendo said:

Cricket Through The Ages - very funny, but a bit stuck.

Hide contents

Was doing fine but can’t get that space ship to last past when the engines break away. What am I missing?

Spoiler

I ended up just holding both left and right fingers down the whole time.

1 hour ago, shirubagan said:

Has anyone tried this through an iPad or iPhone linked up to a TV with an adapter? Is there any input lag using a controller? 

I haven’t but I am getting some lag while playing Sonic the Hedgehog with a Dual Shock 4. Unclear whether this is down to the controller or the emulation. Pretty sure the game is the Christian Whitehouse version though, so that somewhat stacks the odds against the controller.  

1 hour ago, BongoInferno said:

Wait, what? How far did you get in it? It doesn’t stop throwing new things at you. It’s fantastic. The bit I just got to was an unexpected and brilliant homage to one of my favourite games ever :wub:

it is one of the wrongest opinions I’ve read, but if you’re going to give up six holes in you won’t appreciate the full scope and insanity of the game.

mobile gaming has always been great but you had to work at it a bit to discover the gems, a combination of sniffy attitudes and 'I'm not paying £2 for that' attitudes lead people to think otherwise - you had to work thru the ftp dross and mindless ad based one button mechanic games to get the gems.

there is no way though this doesn't utterly suck the air out of the paid game market on ios - who still bought CDs after the streaming libraries went mainstream. there will be exceptions of known franchises or quantities but I imagine it got a lot harder to be a small scale dev wanting to charge a few quid up front for your games on ios - not sure android was ever that viable in its own right for paid content.