rllmuk
anewman

Apple Arcade

You know that period in time when everybody stocked up on PS Vita games through PS Plus and suddenly a Vita became viable because you already had a library ready?

Well, Apple Arcade is doing that for Apple TV. Link up a Dual Shock 4, open up Arcade, and *blam* here are dozens of games to play. Suddenly the hockey puck turned into a full-blown console. I can genuinely see people using this as an alternative to Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft. And just like the Switch it has a specific set of games rather than the typical stuff. And just like the Switch there's a portable option if you combine it with an iPhone or iPad.

Very intriguing. Hopefully Apple keeps investing in this and doesn't treat it like this year's toy. That said, the games range from highly polished (Exit the Gungeon) to held-together-by-duct-tape (Various Daylife), but there should be something in there for everyone.

• Upvote 8
  • Empathy 1

1 minute ago, Fierce Poodle said:

I didn't think this was out on Apple TV / iPad until next week?

ios 13.1 for iPad was out earlier this week

4 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Really? Huh, wonder why mine hasn't updated. I have an iPad Air (1st model).

That's probably why. You'll need one of these:

• 12.9-inch iPad Pro
  • 11-inch iPad Pro
  • 10.5-inch iPad Pro
  • 9.7-inch iPad Pro
  • iPad (7th generation)
  • iPad (6th generation)
  • iPad (5th generation)
  • iPad mini (5th generation)
  • iPad mini 4
  • iPad Air (3rd generation)
  • iPad Air 2
  • Upvote 2

Just played some Sayonara Wild Hearts (nuts), Bleak Sword (seems great) and What the Golf? (absolutely daft and full of crap puns, so 11/10).

I think I may pony up the £4.99/month just to encourage more games like these.

• Upvote 2

what this really shows is how removing ads and timers from games can making something pretty simple/ropey not an instant delete - word laces is no great shakes and if I had to watch a 30s every 3 levels it would be binned - with the removed though it may hang around for a while.

• Upvote 2

I like Word Laces. It does very much feel like the kind of game that would be free with adverts in between levels or on the bottom of the screen, but it’s enjoyable enough.

I’m thinking of buying an Apple TV as I’m really into Arcade but I know nothing about them. Looking into it it seems the last one came out in 2017 (4K) so is it worth waiting for a new one or is that one capable enough?

51 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I’m thinking of buying an Apple TV as I’m really into Arcade but I know nothing about them. Looking into it it seems the last one came out in 2017 (4K) so is it worth waiting for a new one or is that one capable enough?

If you can hang around a month, it's rumoured that there will be a refresh of the line in October. On the other hand, there are other rumours that nothing will be revealed until 2020. So no one knows at this point, though if there's a new iPad Pro announcement it may be tacked on alongside that.

• Upvote 1

Despite my best efforts to absolutely despise the very notion that Apple Arcade exists, I'm finding I'm enjoying What the Golf very much indeed. The Mario level where they're singing "what the golf" to a legally-slightly-different version of the Mario theme is incredible. Plus the game has toilets.

Switch version please.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

You know that period in time when everybody stocked up on PS Vita games through PS Plus and suddenly a Vita became viable because you already had a library ready?

Well, Apple Arcade is doing that for Apple TV. Link up a Dual Shock 4, open up Arcade, and *blam* here are dozens of games to play. Suddenly the hockey puck turned into a full-blown console. I can genuinely see people using this as an alternative to Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft. And just like the Switch it has a specific set of games rather than the typical stuff. And just like the Switch there's a portable option if you combine it with an iPhone or iPad.

Very intriguing. Hopefully Apple keeps investing in this and doesn't treat it like this year's toy. That said, the games range from highly polished (Exit the Gungeon) to held-together-by-duct-tape (Various Daylife), but there should be something in there for everyone.

Really? I can't.

A Switch mini is 200 quid, a PS4 Pro not much more - which does everything an Apple TV does on top of having a huge library of full-size games that you can own outright.

But then I (and most people who own an iPhone and/or iPad) are yet to hear a reason to own an Apple TV in the first place. Any other hardware company would have killed it by now.

If you like What the Golf? I think Cricket Through the Ages might be up your alley.

Much less content, but pretty stupid (in a good way) and even better with a mate and 2.4 drinks taken.

• Upvote 1

The variety and atmosphere of this reminds me of coming home from school with a floppy for your C64 1541 drive rammed with copied games. I just love dipping in and out of this, playing a bit here and there, finding games you like. I actually like that there's nothing too dark, arch or edgy for once, it's really refreshing to play stuff that just makes you smile. It's whimsical and easy going with some charmingly creative and accessible games.

Apple Arcade is much more up my street than the prospect of a PS5 with endlessly broken launch games needing patches, MtX and season passes etc. It's just more exciting and intriguing and feels properly curated, put together with real care and consideration.

• Upvote 5

30 minutes ago, MK-1601 said:

Really? I can't.

A Switch mini is 200 quid, a PS4 Pro not much more - which does everything an Apple TV does on top of having a huge library of full-size games that you can own outright.

But then I (and most people who own an iPhone and/or iPad) are yet to hear a reason to own an Apple TV in the first place. Any other hardware company would have killed it by now.

Must be my bubble, most people I know have an Apple TV and use it as their primary Netflix/Prime/Youtube portal. Personally, I use it as my home stereo (I use Apple Music) and podcast station. Regardless, if you have an Apple TV, this is a bit of a no-brainer. Not sure if it attracts new customers though.

• Upvote 2

I quite fancy one because it has a nice form factor, plays 4K movies, I can view my iPhone and iPad photos on it, connect it to my sound system etc. And now with Arcade there’s lots of more great reasons. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve yet to activate the trial, but I’m very excited to finally have a use for the Steelseries Nimbus pad I bought for my Apple TV about 4 years ago. 

• Upvote 1

Hmmm this has peaked my interest after finishing Seyonara Wild Hearts on the Switch and paying a tenner for 1 game (great as it was).

I have no clue about Apple products so is there a specific version of Apple TV you need?

19 minutes ago, parrapatheslapper said:

Hmmm this has peaked my interest after finishing Seyonara Wild Hearts on the Switch and paying a tenner for 1 game (great as it was).

I have no clue about Apple products so is there a specific version of Apple TV you need?

I am waiting as there is supposed to be a new model coming soon!

but the current model would be the one to go for if you were desperate to get one now.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, parrapatheslapper said:

Everyday's a school day round here! :lol:

Sorry :unsure:

42 minutes ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

I am waiting as there is supposed to be a new model coming soon!

but the current model would be the one to go for if you were desperate to get one now.

Yeah looking at high end games like Oceanhorn 2 (which is excellent btw) I think it would run better on a newer model.

Just to be clear, there is no way to use a PS4 controller shared between Apple TV and an actually PS4? I have to unpair and repair and use a cable every time ?

ie the real solution is buy a dedicated controller for the Apple TV right?

Finally got around to trying this. Sayonara Wild Hearts, Chu Chu Rocket Universe and What the Golf have been my slightly belated launch games of choice.

I’m totally down with this being the future for £4.99 per month.

Shinsekai Into the Depths is my pick so far, put about six hours into it and it keeps opening up. It's an underwater exploration/survival game, reminds me of a cross between Nodes Of Yesod and Ecco The Dolphin, with a bit of Steamworld Dig. The movement and animation of your guy is just beautiful, it's one of those games that feels good to control, the inertia and floatiness is spot on and makes you want to play it just to move around. There's something really intimate and atmospheric about the game, the way things are communicated to you is understated and intriguing and makes you want to discover more - amazing music and graphics really help to push it along, but the way your guy interacts with the world and things he meets/sees is so well realised and animated.

Playing it on an iPad Pro on a stand, bluetooth speakers with a Dual Shock 4. Just a great experience.

If you like the kind of games that are lonely, foreboding and atmospheric but beautiful and rewarding at the same time, definitely try this.

• Upvote 4