rllmuk
anewman

Apple Arcade

4 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

I’ve read it here a few times, but this Metroidvania genre really does lend itself to uneasy isolation and mystery. I’ve started and shelved Guacamelee and some Shante game or other while searching for my next fix of this genre, but while those sunny, vibrant games seem decent enough, this wee game has really scratched the itch. 

Yeah, I enjoyed the combat and platforming in Guacamelee and its sequel, but a lot of games in that genre don't really make much of an attempt to capture that feeling of eerie isolation that makes the best Metroid games so good. Shinsekai has it in spades. 

• Upvote 1

How is everyone finding Hot Lava? After getting used to the rather stiff controls, I’m really enjoying it, the game really scratches my time trialling itch, jumping around what are effectively obstacle courses. The challenges for each level add a nice layer of difficulty and there are also online leaderboards via Game Center. I’ve only played it using a controller, but I can’t imagine it’s much fun using touch screen controls. I’ve spent most of the evening playing it and I’ve had a great time son far.

Oh, I’m playing on an iPad Air 3 and the performance is pretty good.

On 12/10/2019 at 20:54, Uncle Nasty said:

It's a massive 180 for Apple who have always been lukewarm to disinterested in gaming. The last time there was a glimmer of hope for gaming on Apple hardware was the original Halo reveal, and we all know how that went. But now here they are with 100+ games that are clearly highly curated and selectively chosen, with a generally high level of polish and showing a lot of originality  - and even compatible with your existing game controllers.

So far this launch reminds me of why I love games - worlds to get lost in, ideas and concepts that are fresh and intriguing, charming and whimsical experiences that aren't here to out-gross or shock you by being arch or edgy. The games are wholesome and for all ages, but that goes in their favour - we're not going to see anyone getting stabbed in the neck in 4k here and I think that will push the titles to be more original and creative.

The accessibility is definitely a big factor in my enjoyment - having the iPad on my desk and jumping back into a game in seconds is a big factor in the amount of time I sunk into Shinsekai, I definitely wouldn't have done that on a traditional console in such a short space of time.

This could easily be my go-to platform over a full-blown console. GG Apple.

I don't think Apple have changed their approach to games at all. They're still pathologically risk averse and want to define games ultra-narrowly and conservatively. They're making 100+ (in relative terms) penny stakes bets when they need to be finding and investing in studios that can meaningfully push premium mobile games forward. They need to be courting Nintendo, EA, Bethesda, Blizzard, Bungie, Kojima Productions, Platinum, Niantic, etc. etc. but instead they're getting mugged off with wildly overproduced minigames like Frogger, Rayman: Basically A Demo Of An Older Rayman Game and some generic fluff that Hironobu Sakaguchi has signed off on.

I don't see much evidence that the Arcade lineup has been curated in any meaningful sense. These are the sort of games you would get pitched if you went almost exclusively to developers who had already made the kind of premium iOS games that Apple likes - decorative, graphic-design-aesthetic trifles that show off their hardware and don't scare off non-gamers - and gave them no-strings-attached free resources (although not enough to budget and schedule an PC or console game of significant scope).

Big companies that already have lots of existing games/engines/toolsets and prototypes hanging around could pull some existing experiment out and polish it up. Indie studios typically delivered a cut down or reskinned spin on an existing game. With a few exceptions, the most substantial games were already planned for PC/Switch/PS4 release which will still be the better place to play them (and the only place you can own them outright - as someone who already plays iOS games, while having an incubator where 100+ new premium games can reach the market is welcome, the fact that I can't BUY any of them and it's impractical to fill up my iPhone storage and tether a pad when I want to play them, I am more likely to vote with my wallet and buy anything noteworthy on Switch).

Defending the imposition of everything being kiddie-friendly is something I can't get behind at all. I understand the practical reason for it (the primary market is families with underutilised iOS devices), but a platform holder setting overly narrow content policies has always, always ended badly. Suggesting that the only way that adult themes ever appear in games is as gratuitous gore is a wild oversimplification. Yes, you can't do Hitman or Doom or Hotline Miami or Mortal Kombat on Apple Arcade (and this is... insanely bad and creatively limiting????) But nor could you do Obra Dinn or Papers Please or Her Story. Or basically any narrative game that has anything specific to say about the real world.

An exclusive diet of short 'coffee table' games will get boring, fast. I think it needs to evolve (like Netflix eventually learning to make good original programming) but am sceptical that Apple have fostered the conditions to allow it to do so.

Disclaimer: I've not played Shinsekai yet.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

I’ve read it here a few times, but this Metroidvania genre really does lend itself to uneasy isolation and mystery. I’ve started and shelved Guacamelee and some Shante game or other while searching for my next fix of this genre, but while those sunny, vibrant games seem decent enough, this wee game has really scratched the itch. 

SteamWorld Dig is definitely worth a look if you've not played it. It's a bit fluffy on the surface but totally nails that feeling of loneliness and getting lost, it's non linear (procedural I think) but still has a solid structure and path through the game.

6 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I wish Apple would hurry up and launch the new ATV as I’m sat waiting to play a load of these games on the telly!

Same here. Is it known if an update is due this side of Christmas?

4 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Best guess is yes, it’s due one and the general feeling is that one will launch with ATV+

5 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Possibly. Apple are thought to be holding another event this month where they could launch a new model (referenced in iOS 13 code) in time for the TV+ launch in November. 

12 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

If the nooks and crannies of other areas are similarly packed with secrets that can only be found after having levelled up, I’m happy to say I’ll be spending even more hours in this world.

Well, I went and said all that but the game seems to lock you in the final area before the last boss. I don’t think I can go back and mop up the vast swathes of sea I left unexplored :(

The last boss was an utter bastard too! :lol: My save says I began my attempt at 11:30pm or so. I think I went to bed after killing him close to 2am :unsure: Kind of strange that no other bit of combat is anywhere near that level of difficulty with having to learn patterns and counter his attacks etc. It was a bit out of place, more than slightly bullshitty, but really enjoyable all the same hence me happily banging my head off it for hours when I should have been sleeping. It felt like it came from another game, however.

2 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

SteamWorld Dig is definitely worth a look if you've not played it. It's a bit fluffy on the surface but totally nails that feeling of loneliness and getting lost, it's non linear (procedural I think) but still has a solid structure and path through the game.

I played Steamworld Dig on the Switch. I quite liked it, and I do see some of it in Shinsekai, but I thought Shin was far better. As in, close to a Hollow Knight. I’d call it the next essential one of these games that people must play. I think it’s a bit sad that it’s been buried somewhat by all the other games on Apple Arcade but hopefully it’ll find a decent audience eventually. The same was quite true of Hollow Knight before it came to Switch and PS4 etc.

Bit disappointed with the syncing of game progress between playing on iPhone and Apple TV - works seamlessly with some games but not at all on others. Other games such as Pinball Wizard detect a difference between the save on your phone and on the cloud and asks which one you would like to use. Not sure why it doesn’t just automatically go with your most recent save? Very weird.

That happened to me in What the Golf about 5 times now. Not in any other game though, so something tells me it is that specific game not doing cloud saves right.

Looking at the controls on Hot Lava with my paired Dual Shock, there’s a control (3rd person) which is something 8 Axis. I have literally no clue what this button is, any ideas? I’ve tried pushing most things (I think)

So does Apple Arcade already have a discoverability problem?

how do I work out what to play?

so far I’ve tried out the following:

Grindstone - clocked it, most levels all three objectives, can see returning to complete 100%. Not really made any use at all of most of the items. Have made use of multiple suits of armour, which was a bit of an error in the Edge review.

Pinball Wizard - nah, my usual dislike of “small table pinball” rears its head

Speed Demons - fine when playing on iPhone, frame drops when playing on iPad Pro 9 inch, play while at bus stop

Cards of Darkness - need to spend more time working out how it isn’t just an RNG, but cartoony and distinctive, play while on bus

Sayonara - don’t have a controller connected to my iPhone at all times, and once you’ve played with a controller even touch controls at highest sensitivity seems like playing with your hands behind your back: it’s both really quite distinctive but simultaneously obviously not a game to play without a controller...

where cards fall - Installed but not played, must go back 

what the golf - a funny comedy game; who knew it was even possible? Few levels a week.

Patterned - don’t play it on an iphone, I can see where it fits in an iPad but I’m unlikely to return to it

Painty Mob - actually quite deep once you realise that each character is audio distinctive, play at bus stop with a different character each time

Mind symphony - don’t bother

shinsekai - installing, should probably try and copy onto the iPad too.

Manifold garden - installing

What else should I be looking at, one month in?

I enjoyed Tint, although it's very short, and I'm enjoying Dear Reader.

Hey folks bit of a tangent here but is there any way I can gift someone a year of Apple Arcade?

My friend has a birthday coming up and was mentioning they have an iPhone and Apple TV and thought it would be a cool gift for them.

I have zero Apple devices but is it possible to buy like a year pass or something to gift my mate?

Thanks a lot for any info you can give me!

I haven’t seen anywhere which confirms one way or the other, but I have read that iTunes gift cards can be redeemed against other subscriptions like Apple Music, so it’s a reasonable assumption that Apple Arcade is the same. 

I was recently gifted one, I’ll sign up for Apple Arcade and test it for you, @Simmy

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Popo said:

I haven’t seen anywhere which confirms one way or the other, but I have read that iTunes gift cards can be redeemed against other subscriptions like Apple Music, so it’s a reasonable assumption that Apple Arcade is the same. 

I was recently gifted one, I’ll sign up for Apple Arcade and test it for you, @Simmy

Thanks a lot! Please do let me know !

2 hours ago, Simmy said:

Thanks a lot! Please do let me know !

I’m not sure if this is helpful as it’s not a firm confirmation, but I can see I’ve got the credit on my account and the Apple Arcade subscription is listed alongside my Netflix sub... from what I’ve read, any sub you’ve got will deduct from your credit before it charges you... so theoretically yes, gift cards should cover the cost of Arcade. 

I’ll let you know in a month when the first deduction should be made!

22 hours ago, Simmy said:

Hey folks bit of a tangent here but is there any way I can gift someone a year of Apple Arcade?

My friend has a birthday coming up and was mentioning they have an iPhone and Apple TV and thought it would be a cool gift for them.

I have zero Apple devices but is it possible to buy like a year pass or something to gift my mate?

Thanks a lot for any info you can give me!

No reason it shouldn’t work - once redeemed to an account, the funds are the same as any other. Only thing really is that you can’t control what they spend it on - so if they do buy other apps, movies, whatever, it all comes out of the pool of funds you provided. 

On 14/10/2019 at 22:44, Rudderless said:

Yeah, I enjoyed the combat and platforming in Guacamelee and its sequel, but a lot of games in that genre don't really make much of an attempt to capture that feeling of eerie isolation that makes the best Metroid games so good. Shinsekai has it in spades. 

how on earth do I control this? I keep dying trying to jump right at the start :(