House of the Dragon - Game of Thrones prequel

JohnC

12 hours ago, Girth Certificate said:

The wee boy from the marshlands needs a spin-off,

GOT: Who Are You Calling a Cunt, Ya Cunt.

A Song Of Talk Shit, Get Hit

it felt like it was leading to a scene where 

Hide contents

The king or the maester would check to see if she was ‘intact’ but then GRRM remembered she rides horses AND bloody dragons :lol: 

it’ll be a shame when (Big dirty balls spoilers)

Hide contents

She gets replaced with the older actress. The whole series could go off the rails if it isn’t done well

This happened in Season 2 of Rome. Whiney, pube head, sister shagging Octavian transformed into androgynous, starey eye'd lunatic Octavian about three episodes in.

2 hours ago, Popo said:

He’ll need to make them a little bit quicker if he plans to keep up! Great insight as always. 

He did post it on the 10th. The next one will be along soon. I was going to drop them all here myself, but I wasn't sure how many people were into it. Personally I think they're invaluable and I'd otherwise be clueless about half the stuff that goes on. For instance, it was useful to know who that dude was on the dragon. It was the Velaryon kid who also has a dragon since his mum is a Targ.

Rhaenyra reminds me of a young Will Poulter.

Spoiler

image.png.cca39a0416fb4f26bf2d59cea4fbb747.png

I'm a fan of this so far. The focus on one storyline is refreshing after the mess that GoT became and it really seems to be building well. My main complaint is that it hasn't had any of the four or five proper shocks that GoT had, although maybe it's subverting expectation that way.

Oof

Spoiler

Rhaenyra's naivety pigeons coming home to roost.

How did Daemon actually kill his wife? I didn't quite clock what happened. I thought she had taken an arrow/bolt from an ambush above, but then there wasn't anyone else around. Maybe he just startled the horse and she was flung off. I'll have to watch it again.* I'm curious how he would make his way to the Vale and back secretively. You'd probably send someone else to do it.

I thought the wedding was supposed to be after a long week of festivities? So they carried it out there and then with about five people around because of Viserys' fastly deteriorating health? I thought it might be a week later but the other dude's brains were still on the floor...

I think we can infer that Vicerys is done now and next ep he'll be in the ground. I'm guessing Alicent persuades Ser Criston 'Boyband' Cole not to disembowel himself, but I'm not sure where that'll lead. Spoiler for next week;

Spoiler

The older actors for Rhaenyra and Alicent take over, so another, longer time hop. It's a bit of a strange point to have one because you'd think a lot would happen immediately after this episode.

*Yeah, weird, it looks like he doesn't really do anything at all. Her horse rears and throws her off. If he stove her head in with the rock afterwards, surely whoever found her would know it wasn't merely an accident?🤷‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

Oof

Hide contents

Rhaenyra's naivety pigeons coming home to roost.

How did Daemon actually kill his wife? I didn't quite clock what happened. I thought she had taken an arrow/bolt from an ambush above, but then there wasn't anyone else around. Maybe he just startled the horse and she was flung off. I'll have to watch it again. I'm curious how he would make his way to the Vale and back secretively. You'd probably send someone else to do it.

Spoiler

Yeah, he spooked the horse into throwing her off, which also fell on her injuring her badly. He finished her off with a rock to the head. That injury was also blamed on the horse. No CSI around there.

5 hours ago, Timmo said:

I'm a fan of this so far. The focus on one storyline is refreshing after the mess that GoT became and it really seems to be building well. My main complaint is that it hasn't had any of the four or five proper shocks that GoT had, although maybe it's subverting expectation that way.

those shocks didnt come in the first 5 eps though

thought the banquet was great and really bought together a lot of what they’ve been setting up very satisfyingly.

33 minutes ago, Gotters said:

those shocks didnt come in the first 5 eps though

Ep 1 ended with incest and a child getting pushed from a tower.

I'm glad this is taking it's time though - it feels like it's own thing.

Fuck me. The tune playing at the end of episode 5. Parts of it are extremely familiar. Someone put me out of my misery and remind me what it sounds like. Especially a set of five notes. 

edit:

NEVERMIND! It was Eminem “cleaning out my closet” :lol:

29 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

How can we watch this if we don't have Sky? Just NowTV (which I still don't think has UHD/ HDR right?)

If you want UHD/HDR you're either subscribing to Sky or pirating. Now TV will give you HD at the highest subscription level.

Why 

Spoiler

did nobody seem to really care that the knight who's a bit like Jon Snow caved in the face of the other knight in the middle of the dancefloor?  Did I miss the reason the fight started, or did he do it just because he wanted to eliminate someone who knew he'd been nobbing Rhaenyra?  And if so why wasn't he arrested - they're not totally lawless?

Spoiler

I get the impression that if a knight of the kingsguard caves someone's face in then most people will just accept that they probably deserved it. Westeros is a rough town. And there was so much chaos that nobody would have much time to question it before he ran off to commit space-hari-kari.

One thing that was interesting was

Spoiler

the new hand of the king had his own set of rough looking bouncers in da club

13 minutes ago, Sixkiller said:

Why 

Hide contents

did nobody seem to really care that the knight who's a bit like Jon Snow caved in the face of the other knight in the middle of the dancefloor?  Did I miss the reason the fight started, or did he do it just because he wanted to eliminate someone who knew he'd been nobbing Rhaenyra?  And if so why wasn't he arrested - they're not totally lawless?

Spoiler

It wasn't entirely clear - I just figured he snapped with Joffrey being the catalyst by basically threatening to release his secret, one that he expected to lose his life for anyway.  He wasn't arrested because he was the sworn protector... like the Mountain wouldn't have been arrested if he'd cut some random person no-one had seen before in half during a ceremony... he must've had a reason.

Superb stuff.  

Spoiler

Can't beat a good old family wedding - I loved how tense the whole scene was from start to finish - thought they nailed that episode!

Possibly my favourite episode so far.  Top series this - really enjoying it!

10 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:
  Hide contents

I get the impression that if a knight of the kingsguard caves someone's face in then most people will just accept that they probably deserved it. Westeros is a rough town. And there was so much chaos that nobody would have much time to question it before he ran off to commit space-hari-kari.

One thing that was interesting was

Hide contents

the new hand of the king had his own set of rough looking bouncers in da club

the new hand

Spoiler

has his bouncers and his son is also a bit of a littlefinger rumour-monger type... this hand is definitely a playa

Thought soundtrack was brilliant again throughout, I do have a sub woofer connected to the TV but the whole banquet music was very drum heavy and foreboding, almost like a slowed down medieval Adam & The Ants. 

2 hours ago, scottcr said:

Hide contents

It wasn't entirely clear - I just figured he snapped with Joffrey being the catalyst by basically threatening to release his secret, one that he expected to lose his life for anyway.  He wasn't arrested because he was the sworn protector... like the Mountain wouldn't have been arrested if he'd cut some random person no-one had seen before in half during a ceremony... he must've had a reason.

Spoiler

Seemed odd for the new future King consort to be twatted about so roughly amongst it with no-one caring.

Good episode. Daemon at the beginning was shit for a number of reasons.

Nothing we have seen about Daemon so far suggests he would kill someone one on one without being a dick and talking shit to inflate his ego first.

She knew who he was straight away but let him get close enough that he could startle her horse well enough to as good as kill her.

She was a proficient rider and hunter on her horse.  Daemon who probably rides dragons more than horses.  He startled her horse enough to jolt her off it, in a way that the horse landed on her and incapacitated her completely.  It feels like nitpicking in a show with dragons but the thing that really annoyed about that scene was how it was filmed, and there was also no reason not to have Daemon have a way to kill her (and it even to look like she came off a horse) that could have been done better.