IGNORED

House of the Dragon - Game of Thrones prequel

JohnC

What is the situation with this prequel in terms of book material - the world is always going to be brilliant and deep and with HBO money chucked at it will look wonderful, but are they doing pre-existing material or just taking lore and old characters and having to flesh out new stories - which is where GoT got unstuck in the end ?

34 minutes ago, Gotters said:

What is the situation with this prequel in terms of book material - the world is always going to be brilliant and deep and with HBO money chucked at it will look wonderful, but are they doing pre-existing material or just taking lore and old characters and having to flesh out new stories - which is where GoT got unstuck in the end ?

to answer my own question I found this article which seems to cover a lot of the book source questions off

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/10/hbo-drops-a-fiery-teaser-for-got-prequel-series-house-of-the-dragon/

• 1 month later...

Jesus Christ. I’m reading the Wikis for each character over and over and over again, and none of it is bloody sinking in. So much fucking incest and similar names. What did he think he was doing having a Rhaenys and a Rhaenyra so close in the same story; both Targ names but different branches of the tree. 

And why the fuck does my phone know these names???

EE66CFF7-E33B-46F0-8191-B911049F3EA4.thumb.png.8e38d49096a4d5cb4196b8c02b386882.png

• 4 months later...

Fucking Sky!  Knew that was going to be the case but they're one of the only services I don't have.  And I REALLY want to see this.  Might have to fork out for a NOW TV sub as I can't miss it - I loved Fire and Blood.

• 1 month later...

I've never had a trailer make me feel so conflicted.

Judged as a trailer in it's own right I'm there drawing the curtains to block the summer sun and watching this at 8am the Monday after broadcast because it looks great.

But then again, sigh. You all know the rest.

I'm amazed at how I failed to notice how much Martin's ideas of the Targaryen folks are so much like Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melniboné. 

Oh man...how I wish they'd do a series about that poor bugger. He is by far and away my favourite character in all of fantasy.

6 hours ago, Gotters said:

I've never had a trailer make me feel so conflicted.

Judged as a trailer in it's own right I'm there drawing the curtains to block the summer sun and watching this at 8am the Monday after broadcast because it looks great.

But then again, sigh. You all know the rest.

The fact Benioff and Weiss aren't involved gives me hope.

Very confident this is going to be very good.  They've got a decent overall story to help them - the main problem with the end of GoT is that they didn't know how to end it all but the material is already there for House of the Dragon - all they need to do is expand upon what they already have.

It's a good cast with some awesome characters - I'm really looking forward to it.  Matt Smith in particular really looks the part.