House of the Dragon - Game of Thrones prequel

JohnC

1 hour ago, George Clooney said:

My only slight gripe was it doesn’t feel like a world that’s got people living in it at the moment.

This is fair. Needs some more establishing shots of people in the city, or some public royal event or something.

Smith is definitely the MVP for me so far.

He absolutely nails the sudden mood swings his character undergoes, making for an intriguing, edgy and unpredictable villain, silly wig and all.

I'm enjoying it, and the pace it's staring with. I'm really getting to like the characters and that's the most important thing for me. I agree it feels a little hermetic at the moment, but I'm sure it'll open up as the wider storylines come into play and people go off on their various adventures.

Spoiler

I'm in no doubt the king chose Alicent because he - though somewhat reluctantly - has developed feeling for her. This is probably the long term machination of The Hand, but I'm undecided on whether there's a motive beyond keeping everything close. I feel like Otto does have the king's best interest at heart though.

I thought in both episodes the show was doing an unsubtle job of suggesting Rhaenyra and Alicent have an unspoken thing going on, and Alicent is exhibiting anxious behaviour over it, especially as she's been given the job of comforting the king. Viserys's declaration didn't go down well with Rhaenyra either. Just me?

Yeah,

Spoiler

six months has passed so we're probably meant to infer that Alicent has been a regular visitor to Viserys' toy chamber and the feels have developed? We never actually saw any of this development, but I guess the writers prefered to have the dramatic 'surprise mfs!' moment.

Rhaenyra definitely wasn't happy, but I thought it was because a) it's kinda awkward if your dad marries your best mate, she'll kinda be lost to her duties and shit, and b) if she bears a son she'll no longer be the heir...although I don't believe there has been any evidence so far that Rhaenrya actually wants the top job, so maybe not? 🤷‍♂️

Thinking about it, it's quite possible Rhaenyra is simply thinking like everyone else, that he should be shoring things up with House Velaryon and she sees that he's fucked it.

Btw I quite like Matt's elfish wig, although I worried the Dragonstone walkway was about to collapse and he was going to hop between falling stones...

This is really good.  Episode 2 very much a 'setting the scene' type affair - really looking forward to seeing what happens.

Spoiler

The scene at Dragonstone and the stand off between Otto Hightower/Rhaenyra and Daemon was superb - looked great too.  

So far, I think they've pitched this just right.

As the series is 10 episodes I am assuming they will stick to the early season GOT format, of having the big episode being the 9th, leaving the finale to cover the aftermath and set up the next season.

But you don’t stick a great actor in to just play a sad sack cuck king do you ? Don’t all the Targarians go mad, I’m hoping he’s got some scope in the character to do a bit more than mope around get played by the small council and his brother and daughter.

5 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Subscribed to shitty Now TV to watch this.

First episode reminded me how good GoT was after the truly awful final season made me forget. You can tell this is an actual GRRM story from the pure sadism at play.

and the ending of this actually exists - at least in Silmarilion/Biblical type form.

This is incredibly dull so far (episode three, 22 minutes in). Struggling to get through it. The Targaryen stuff was always a yawn-fest in GoT, and making a whole series centred around these bores always risked being…well, boring. But even so this is a slog. Viserys is such an obviously “nice but unwise” King, they might as well chop his head off now.

A Lannister has appeared at least so maybe there will be some slightly more fun dialogue and plotting/back-stabbing soon. 

Minor ep3 spoilers

Spoiler

They skipped forward at least 3 years, didn't even bother with the wedding.

But most of all the 2 friends talking after last week, seems like the most interesting bit them arguing after the big reveal was skipped over and now after 3 years it's like they haven't had a conversation together in that time.

The episodes are basically the same lengths as GOT except that generally had a lot more going, such that sometimes it was annoying when they dropped a storyline for a few episodes.

In this we have Viserys and daughter who are heavily intertwined anyway and then Matt Smith. It's definitely feels like one more bit of adajcent focus character/story would help a bit.

I hope that isn't the end of the crab empire and that was just some weird underling general who got minced off screen.

Yeah, I’m done with this. The “tactics” in that battle were just laughable. Wave a white flag, this immediately tricks Crabby Nutter into sending his entire army out for no reason whatsoever after seeing Matt Smith go “Psych!”. At this point he could have just gone inside and drawn the curtains, but no, send out the whole squad. His troops then stand around Matt Smith in a neat circle, hesitating just long enough to get toasted.

Absolute dogshit.

2 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

This is incredibly dull so far (episode three, 22 minutes in).

I enjoyed the first two, but episode 3 for the most part was just that - dull. It was also mostly still incredibly dark that I could hardly see what was happening in a lot of scenes. Matt Smith seems to be the only highlight.

28 minutes ago, Masterbeef said:

Not a fan of this show so far. It seems very low budget compared to Rings of Power and the characters are boring/unlikable/both. The sex scenes scream of immature manchild plotting.

Rings of Power has about 5 times the budget of House of the Dragon so it's not super comparable. Rings of Power looks glorious but you can't expect other shows to match that.

Comparing the two is silly but the CGI is very weightless in this. There was a scene of some ships moving in the water near the end and they moved like skating on ice.

The ending if this weeks episode was dumb as fuck.