rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
gospvg

In Game Songs - Who was the first?

Just playing Days Gone & it has an in-game song sequence & I got talking with the boys about which game was the first? Was Red Dead Redemption the first with Far Away?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.

Games with songs *in the game*?

Or games with vocals on the soundtrack?

If it's the former then nobody should be considering anything post-Parappa, and going back before that I can only recall the opera scene from FFVI (simulated vocals of course).

If it's the latter, then the speech sample in Ghostbusters on the ZX Spectrum must surely qualify.

Whilst playing the game, a song will play in the background for extra mood effect. Like in Red Dead the trot to Mexico.

4 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

The oldest  I remember is Final Fantasy 8, some j-pop ditty which I remember making that romantic scene corny as hell :D

Eyes on me is a classic! 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, carlospie said:

Eyes on me is a classic! 

Indeed. 

And it still bothers me that you have to chose the Irish jig for the concert to get the best conversation between Squall and Rinoa.

Also concerning songs in games, some early examples are Gyruss (1983) with Bach's 'Fugue and Toccata' and Bomb Jack (1984) with the Beatles' 'Lady Madonna' (and the theme from 'Madame Peppermint', facts fans).

5 hours ago, SqueakyG said:

Probably not the first, but I thought of SNK's Psycho Soldier.

That one was probably the first one with vocals but Sega's Super Locomotive arcade game from 1982 had Yellow Magic Orchestra's 'Rydeen' as its main theme

25 minutes ago, spanky debrest said:

That one was probably the first one with vocals but Sega's Super Locomotive arcade game from 1982 had Yellow Magic Orchestra's 'Rydeen' as its main theme

Deus Ex Machina had vocals - in fact, an entire recorded album - in 1984.

It feels like cheating slightly to just have a cassette playing over the top of a Spectrum game, although it's part of the game so I guess it counts.

Starglider was 1986. Is there a previous example of a game with music, with vocals, that the computer is actually playing with its own hardware?

1 minute ago, spanky debrest said:

Didn't that have separate audio that played alongside rather than 'in' the game? 

Yes but it was still intrinsically part of the game.

1 minute ago, deKay said:

Yes but it was still intrinsically part of the game.

Fair enough - I'd personally put that in its own category though.

Still, there's got to be an earlier 'song' in a video game than YMO's Rydeen in 1982, I'd have thought.

On 15/09/2019 at 10:54, Keyboard Koala said:

Also concerning songs in games, some early examples are Gyruss (1983) with Bach's 'Fugue and Toccata' and Bomb Jack (1984) with the Beatles' 'Lady Madonna' (and the theme from 'Madame Peppermint', facts fans).

I was just about to post that a game similar to Tempest had music but I couldn't remember the name.  Loved that Gyruss music

Out Run had a great soundtrack too but I think that was much later

I don't really understand the question if I'm honest and reading a lot of the replies, I don't think I'm the only one.

Regarding music 'playing' (as opposed, I guess, to music created via a chip?), there were early arcade games that had pre-recorded soundtracks on 8-track tape. 

7 minutes ago, Camel said:

I don't really understand the question if I'm honest and reading a lot of the replies, I don't think I'm the only one.

Regarding music 'playing' (as opposed, I guess, to music created via a chip?), there were early arcade games that had pre-recorded soundtracks on 8-track tape. 

So a wav file rather than midi?  to over simplify it?

41 minutes ago, Camel said:

Not the first, but B. Rap Boys has looping snippets of songs from Three Stories High and a few other artists - I only found out about the game after digging through MAME entries. :) 

Also: https://www.zophar.net/music/arcade/brap-boys

10 minutes ago, spanky debrest said:

Fair enough - I'd personally put that in its own category though.

Still, there's got to be an earlier 'song' in a video game than YMO's Rydeen in 1982, I'd have thought.

I was going to suggest Sega's Pengo (one of my favourite arcade games) which had Ode To Joy in it (I always think of it as Ode To Penguin), and released a couple of months earlier than Super Locomotive. Then I remembered Phoenix which has Beethoven's Fur Elise in it - that's from 1980.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Camel said:

Yeah the question's a bit vague. 

My chosen interpretation of 'in game song' is a known / popular song appearing intact in and being generated by a video game, in which case MarkN's example of Fur Elise in Pheonix seems to be the earliest mentioned so far.