IGNORED

Noita - Game Of All Time

Retroid

5 minutes ago, Retroid said:

It's just so massive, have you guys gone to the left and right on the surface? I don't really know what you can do with those areas but it seems like there's a much beefier, completionist thing going on.

(I speant 20 minutes cutting through the tree earlier! :lol:)

It's so great. Utterly mental.

See also: Lava crossing.

3 minutes ago, Retroid said:

It's just so massive, have you guys gone to the left and right on the surface? I don't really know what you can do with those areas but it seems like there's a much beefier, completionist thing going on.

(I speant 20 minutes cutting through the tree earlier! :lol:)

I've seen videos about how to get over the starter cliff but I've never watched further to see what's there. I've seen a crudely drawn map of the entire game and if you don't feel like it you most certainly don't have to go straight down. Try going as far left as you can on the first floor.

Top tip. Water on lava is helpful. Where is there a rather large patch of lava very early on?

It's one of the least early access early access games I've played.

With the Lava I was fortunate enough to have a Wand that fired green goop and that had the same effect. There's also a bit of cheese with how you fly, not tried it but I reckon you could possibly just fly it if you can get high enough.

Latest patch gives you a starting item to make getting across lava much easier! :D 

Is there any point to doing that apart from

Spoiler

skipping a couple of biomes

?

Also, 

Spoiler

I've got up the cliff above the starting area once using a handy randomly-generated hillock and a crafty bomb, but is there a reliable way of doing it?  And passing the tree?

6 minutes ago, frumious said:
  Hide contents

I've got up the cliff above the starting area once using a handy randomly-generated hillock and a crafty bomb, but is there a reliable way of doing it?  And passing the tree?

You can often find some awkward way to do it, bombing under it or using some explosive wand to make sections to stand on, tbh though quite often I find myself using all my resources getting over it and don't have enough to explore the other areas. You're probably best waiting to stumble on the perfect scenario rather than actively seeking them out.

8 hours ago, frumious said:

Latest patch gives you a starting item to make getting across lava much easier! :D 

Is there any point to doing that apart from

Hide contents

skipping a couple of biomes

Spoiler

Skip the lava, cross the big gap and there's a health boost

8 hours ago, frumious said:

Hide contents

Not 100% reliable but:

Spoiler

Fly up from top of second nest, douse yourself in Polymorphic gunk at end of flight. Luck out and continue flying up as something capable of flight. Continue flying when you resume witchform (flight meter will be replenished), and you'll just about make it.

I can't believe more people here aren't playing this incredible game.

If you're worried about it being early access or full of stats and RPG nerdery, or that it needs a meaty PC, don't be. It feels (fairly) finished already, has beautifully simple controls and runs on pretty much anything.

It's a serious GOTY contender for me. It's the game I wished existed when I was putting all those hours into Spelunky daily challenges and getting killed by my atrophied platforming reflexes.

Once you get the hand of reading the environment and know roughly what most of the spells (ammo types) do, you can start improvising crazy plans to survive. It's satisfying in the way Breath of the Wild and Deus Ex where the simulation is robust enough to let things emerge.

I'm off to play it some more.

Oop, they've added mod support which makes this officially GOAT!

And a secret ending!

Update:

Spoiler

RELEASE NOTES - Oct 23 2019

FEATURE: Added experimental mod support (Pause->Mods). To get started with making mods, see Noita/tools_modding folder

FEATURE: Added 12 new spells, 2 new enemies and 3 new perks

FEATURE: Added a secret wormy thing

UPDATE: Touch of X -spells are now more consistent and have more maximum uses, circle of X -spells have more uses

UPDATE: Holy mountain guardian now takes few seconds to spawn

UPDATE: Added a secret ending

UPDATE: Worm crystals are more effective

BUGFIX: 'Perk lottery' added invisible items into inventory

BUGFIX: Boss could be polymorphed

BUGFIX: Added some missing enemy/creature icons to the progress menu

BUGFIX: Alt tabbing when teleporting killed you

BUGFIX: Teleport projectile could kill you if you teleported too far

BUGFIX: Tiny physics bodies shouldn't do as much damage to the player

BUGFIX: Sometimes angering the Gods spawned two guards

BUGFIX: Crash - when generating potion name

BUGFIX: Gunpowder explosions now more accurately represent the actual explosion radius MODDING: Custom audio bank support (see Noita/tools_modding/noita-fmod-project)

MODDING: Reports mod init errors on game start

MODDING: Lua - added DebugGetIsDevBuild(), GameGetRealWorldTimeSinceStarted()

MODDING: Lua - added OnWorldInitialized(), OnWorldPreUpdate(), OnWorldPostUpdate(), OnPlayerSpawned() hooks (accessible via init.lua)

MODDING: Lua - added PhysicsApplyTorqueToComponent( entity_id, component_id, float torque ), PhysicsApplyTorque( entity_id, float torque )

MODDING: Lua - added EntityRemoveTag( entity_id, tag ), EntityGetClosest( pos_x, pos_y ), EntityGetWithName(entity_id) (note: slow!)

MODDING: Lua - added GamePickUpInventoryItem( owner_entity_id, item_entity_id ), added GameKillInventoryItem( owner_entity_id, item_entity_id )

MODDING: Lua - basic lua sandboxing and mod privilege system (breaking change)

MODDING: Lua - removed GameDirector (breaking change)

MODDING/BUGFIX: Lua - EntityHasTag() - adds the queried tag to entity

• 3 weeks later...

I had a hell of a run last night, smashed all my personal bests!  Not really skill, more like lucky perk quirks...  :unsure:

It's probably a bit spoilery on some level, so:

Spoiler

Started unremarkably, but with a nice early find of a "6 spells at once" wand, resulting in a very handy shotgun shooting 6 sparks and arrows in one go.  This basically one-shotted almost anything for the first handful of levels, albeit with a hefty reload time if I missed.  First perks were:

• "melee immunity", which came in very handy with the bastard wasp things in the jungle level, oh and about 5 enormous terrifying spider things which impotently waved their nasty legs at before I flew up and exploded them en masse :twisted:
  • "explosion immunity" which is amazing for the cack-handed and against the scarier baddies, and
  • "invisible when stain-free", which was useless to start with (never seemed to shake the last few % of anything, and on the ice level I was always a little bit dipped in snowmelt), but became totally awesome when I also picked up
  • "repelling cape" and could guarantee invisibility in all but the worst situations. :ph34r:

By level 4 my shotgun was seeming a bit less awesome as the enemies got tougher and more numerous, but now I could just keep clean and sneak around pretty much anything.  And this seemed essentially obligatory when I made the mistake of test-firing a mega-wand I'd picked up, a huge one the size of a staff that had about 11 random spells in it.  I waited until I got to the Holy Temple and edited out some of the more insane spells, but even so it caused a hell of a mess, enough of a mess that it inevitably angered the gods and mister floaty force field skeleton turned up.  I stupidly tried taking him on with a fab "3 giant magic missiles at once" thing I'd found, but even that wasn't much good against his shields, so instead I just buggered off and put it all behind me, EXCEPT unfortunately he turns up in every Holy Temple from then on, another situation where being invisible is nice. :rolleyes:

And so I cruised on through the whole main bit of the game, feeling simultaneously thrilled and terrified sneaking through level after level of baddies I'd never even seen before (skull beetles, skeleton goats, malevolent shadows, drones, terminators, a hugh ghost worm thing that I'm pretty sure could see me even when I was invisible), and still don't know what they do because I wasn't stupid enough to take them on.  It became more like a stealth game, it wasn't always trivial to float past them all, and occasionally I had to "go loud" and blow something up to make progress.  The closest I came to failure was a memorable moment when the edge of a nuke explosion caught me, from off the screen - some hapless numpty had picked up a wand and fired it while in a scrap with some other monsters, if I hadn't picked up a few hearts on the way down I'd have been toast.

Eventually I got to the final Holy Temple, sneaked past Mr Skellington for the last time, and nervously approached some kind of eldritch spider horror playing with a glowing cogwheel.  It ignored me, so I thought "what the hell" and whipped out my magic missiles and let rip.  I think either it wasn't fully "active" or I missed the important bit, because it continued to ignore me.  :quote:  Sadly Mr Skellington, lurking around at the far left of the area, didn't ignore me, perked up now that he could see me, and started firing homing fireball wotsits in my direction.  And then...

noita-20191110-001520-1234804909-00228782.gif.977416dcbeffbb10f89b87d4a0e29b8a.gif

20191110001620_1.thumb.jpg.cc0ffe131ca4a8bf4a17c3ed70c3c51a.jpg

I am so ass at this, never got past the 4th area... Often though I self-sabotage, trying to do something silly. Really, that's the beauty of Noita; you always feel like trying to push the boundaries, even if you end up dying in the process.

28 minutes ago, Retroid said:

I am so ass at this, never got past the 4th area... Often though I self-sabotage, trying to do something silly. Really, that's the beauty of Noita; you always feel like trying to push the boundaries, even if you end up dying in the process.

Good work on the title edit. *fist bump*

There are so many strategies you can try.

Some of my best runs are when I've had explosion immunity and a decent stock of those big purple magic missiles, or meteor. Very effective in tight spaces with lots of explody barrels.

Had an amazing run earlier with a combination of a wand that fired four shotgun rounds simultaneously and higher critical chance on bloody enemies. The viking goblin dudes on level 4 piss out gallons of blood when killed. I was blasting holes in the walls and floors to keep a 'blood flume' flowing, drenching everyone on the lower floors then swooping down and peppering them with buckshot. Sadly this strategy proved ineffective in the next two areas, where those bastard wasp things proceeded to play hackysack with my poisoned, on fire body.

• 2 weeks later...