IGNORED

Noita - Game Of All Time

Retroid

6 hours ago, Strategos said:

I've been having a blast again with this recently. Completed it twice more (once with a wand a bit like Lying Cats one above) and once with an insane always cast eletrical bolts wand that one shotted the end boss  :omg:

Is that the one that basically has the electrical bolts arcing between the projectiles? I had that once and cast it without being explosively and electrically immune and everything was over incredibly quickly. That effect like nothing else brings my processor to it's knees - I'd LOVE to get that always cast on the 1st level .10/0.07 rapid fire wand with the green bouncy ball spell.

Instant BSOD, I reckon.

5 hours ago, Lying Cat said:

Is that the one that basically has the electrical bolts arcing between the projectiles? I had that once and cast it without being explosively and electrically immune and everything was over incredibly quickly. That effect like nothing else brings my processor to it's knees - I'd LOVE to get that always cast on the 1st level .10/0.07 rapid fire wand with the green bouncy ball spell.

Instant BSOD, I reckon.

It had always cast on every projectile firing random lightening bolts as they flew. It was nuts. 

7 minutes ago, Dave White said:

how on earth have I missed this?

Bought it today, been utterly fixated, its just utterly incredible. Not watched any spoilers and am just figuring stuff out on my own as best I can, the whole alchemy system is just magnificent. 

ill post my little finding as I go.

My advice to you would be to flirt with "always cast acid" wands, but never commit to them under any circumstances.

9 minutes ago, Dave White said:

how on earth have I missed this?

Bought it today, been utterly fixated, its just utterly incredible. Not watched any spoilers and am just figuring stuff out on my own as best I can, the whole alchemy system is just magnificent. 

ill post my little finding as I go.

Good man. Enjoy the GoaT.

5 minutes ago, Dave White said:

oooh I love the little music riffs when you do something cheeky to get rid of a pesky enemy with a Wiley Coyote type of cunning plan.

The soundtrack is fucking stunning. Really authentic old prog/psych vibes, and the way it weaves in and out incidentally is up there with Untitled Goose Game.

Jesus this game is just incredible!

Not had these feelings since firing up Dark Souls for the first time and tiptoed round the undead burg. The fact that the logic and backbone in this game is so well thought out just blows my mind.

Spoiler

Been tinkering with the liquids and figuring stuff out, Water, keeps you cool and gives resistance to hot places, I keep dousing myself.  Green,  acid toxic nasty, been dunking myself in water to get rid, also piddling my little water wand to make clear puddles and rinse myself on the fly. Brown is like the Hindenburg balloon when you drop fire in, so must be oil. Pink stuff no idea and don't know why my wand fires pink stuff, but I transformed into some flying thing so maybe its like poly juice from Harry Potter  Im calling it Optimus Juice.

As for the pick ups, have no idea what that green tablet thing is, chucked an egg and some octopus with love hearts followed me round as a protector. which was helpful.

Managed to get to dome 3 and got wasted by some laser sniper fella tit.

Right back to it.

2 hours ago, Dave White said:

Jesus this game is just incredible!

Not had these feelings since firing up Dark Souls for the first time and tiptoed round the undead burg. The fact that the logic and backbone in this game is so well thought out just blows my mind.

Reveal hidden contents

Been tinkering with the liquids and figuring stuff out, Water, keeps you cool and gives resistance to hot places, I keep dousing myself.  Green,  acid toxic nasty, been dunking myself in water to get rid, also piddling my little water wand to make clear puddles and rinse myself on the fly. Brown is like the Hindenburg balloon when you drop fire in, so must be oil. Pink stuff no idea and don't know why my wand fires pink stuff, but I transformed into some flying thing so maybe its like poly juice from Harry Potter  Im calling it Optimus Juice.

As for the pick ups, have no idea what that green tablet thing is, chucked an egg and some octopus with love hearts followed me round as a protector. which was helpful.

Managed to get to dome 3 and got wasted by some laser sniper fella tit.

Right back to it.

Fair warms the cockles of my heart to read this. This thread and game should be massive. :wub:

Re: liquids and materials.

You can hover your mouse pointer over them and it will tell you what they are within the HUD. You don't have to guess oil is oil.

1 hour ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Fair warms the cockles of my heart to read this. This thread and game should be massive. :wub:

Re: liquids and materials.

You can hover your mouse pointer over them and is will tell you what they are within the HUD. You don't have to guess oil is oil.

Ah thats super helpful, cheers @GamesGamesGames  can I ask are wands all random or do you start to get used to what does what? Started stripping them in the temple and making some super amazing variants.

@Stanley you will love this.

2 minutes ago, Dave White said:

Ah thats super helpful, cheers @GamesGamesGames  can I ask are wands all random or do you start to get used to what does what? Started stripping them in the temple and making some super amazing variants.

The wands are basically random (although at the start of the game they're simple and thus quite predictable) - what's actually quite fun is that the physical appearance of a wand will give you some clues about what it does. So a wand which ends in three prongs will almost certainly fire three spells simultaneously. The actual spell payload could be anything though, and some will just explode in your face unless you can wrangle them into something safer in the Temple.

If you're interested, there's a guide here on wand mechanics. It all sort of goes out the window if you have a shuffle wand though - those are pretty unpredictable.

11 minutes ago, Dave White said:

@Stanley you will love this.

@Lying Cat has you covered, also remember the order in which upgrades are placed makes a difference. Well worth experimenting with that in a safe space. If there ever is a safe space....

The other good tip (I guess?) is to get into the habit of trying to clear the Fungal Caverns, which are to the far left of the Coal Pits (the second zone). The wands there have the potential to be a significant power (I once got a triple-cast Lighting Bolt wand!), but it's much more dangerous. If you're still using the original Spark Bolt wand, then it's probably best to only go in if you're looking to explore and get more of an idea of the place.

thanks for the guides chaps 

was on a great run cautiously making my way around, had some amazing air bomb repeater style wand which was demolishing everything. I spotted another and greedily made my way over.

I wish I had a picture of my face when the whole screen exploded, I now know about traps.

I've been thinking a little about why this isn't a overwhelming success and I honestly think it's down to the dense pixelisation not looking completely amazing when streamed. Hopefully this will change once 1.0 releases - god knows it certainly deserves it!

2 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

I wonder if an amount of it is due to a lot of outlets not reviewing while in Early Access? Anyone would be sold on the Steam reviews but maybe they're not so visible. Hopefully proper reviews give it the leg up it deserves. Absolute greatest videogame.

That's absolutely it. There are so many Early Access titles coming out, and a lot of publications just don't have the resources to keep up with everything on top of regular releases. It'll get a lot more attention when review codes for 1.0 go out, I'm sure. 

I have climbed Aboard. Not really being very experienced in this kind of thing (roguelikes, platformers, being a wizard), is there such a thing as a beginner's guide or should I ensure I don't spoil the surprise of trying to work out what's going on? I've had a few digs, but don't have much of a clue what I'm doing.

Longest run lasted about half an hour and visited four 'lands' but I was still mainly using the basic wand as all my others seemed to do weird funny but useless shit (eg make a cloud that rains on me, most amusing but only handy if I get covered in acid/fire). In my most recent run I didn't get very far but I did find a Toasty Egg. OK! Throwing that into what turned out to be into some kind of massive abyss I never saw it land but there was a bunch of bees with heart shapes floating around them so maybe it landed on them and they were thankful? Even though they appeared very much to be chasing me still? I was down to 6 health so there wasn't much chance to hang out and see. Then I tried to fly over what turned out to be Too Much Lava and that was the end of that.

1 hour ago, milko said:

I have climbed Aboard. Not really being very experienced in this kind of thing (roguelikes, platformers, being a wizard), is there such a thing as a beginner's guide or should I ensure I don't spoil the surprise of trying to work out what's going on? I've had a few digs, but don't have much of a clue what I'm doing.

Longest run lasted about half an hour and visited four 'lands' but I was still mainly using the basic wand as all my others seemed to do weird funny but useless shit (eg make a cloud that rains on me, most amusing but only handy if I get covered in acid/fire). In my most recent run I didn't get very far but I did find a Toasty Egg. OK! Throwing that into what turned out to be into some kind of massive abyss I never saw it land but there was a bunch of bees with heart shapes floating around them so maybe it landed on them and they were thankful? Even though they appeared very much to be chasing me still? I was down to 6 health so there wasn't much chance to hang out and see. Then I tried to fly over what turned out to be Too Much Lava and that was the end of that.

Google will fling up plenty of resources, but I'd recommend fumbling through it all blind unless you're really not into that kind of discovery.

8 minutes ago, milko said:

I'm always afraid of googling and accidentally finding out way too much.

I've not got near that 'best run' again so far. I can see myself getting battered for a long time before I feel confident around the starting mines.

I will of course cede to @GamesGamesGames as the defacto #1 Noita fan on the forum, but I don't think you need to worry too much about spoiling things by reading up on Noita. You'll start to hear stuff about Orbs and "The Work", but it'll be so outside of your sphere of understanding that you'll struggle with any sort of comprehension of it. There's no plot to spoil in the game (at least, nothing that's stated clearly), so if you're just looking up mechanisms go for it. The joy of Noita comes in the (faulty) application of things you've learned (but not really understood), rather than the mysteries.

If you want everything to blow up in your face mysteriously, then just go in blind.

As a general rule, if you're still on the basic Spark Shot wand by the time you reach the Ice Caves (3rd area) you're pretty much fucked and are going to be torn apart. For the beginner, an ideal wand to begin with is the yellow one that's mostly straight but with a little circle in the middle of it - these will often come in 0.07/0.10 cast speed/delay flavours which make them absolutely ideal rapid fire weapons. Keep an eye out for one of those.

If you don't find anything cool by the end of the mines, swap a Spark Shot into the Bomb wands you start with. It's got a blazingly fast fire rate, but it's mana recharge is slow, so you'll find yourself blasting things apart and then needing to go slow a bit by while the weapon recharges. Just use your Spark Shot wand for bombs.

In the second area, to the far left you'll find a zone called the Fungal Caverns - it's a serious step up in difficulty with a new monster set, but with that comes a high chance of decent wands which will give you a big boost for the next few levels, but the Ice Caverns themselves are a pretty good ground for getting some chunky, death dealing wands as well. You just need to be able to survive there.

Also, I'll await your apology on behalf of the Rain Wand once you discover the Rain Wand/Unlimited Casts/Water Breathing/drown all the bad guys in the level while bringing your processor to it's knees combo.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

I have now completed Noita twice consecutively, ending my gaming career as I give no shits about anything else after this.

Also, 1.0 is out today. I recommend you buy. Or alternatively Empth me on this post to enter a prize draw to win an Indie game which might be Noita.

Three times. Three times. Three times....

Yeah, finally out of Early Access, so it'll only be my GotY for two years on the spin. Still a daily delight. Still the GoAT.