Noita - Game Of All Time

55 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Three times. Three times. Three times....

Dead by the Jungle. Had a great start, first perk was homing and I had a rapid fire Slimeball wand - and of course slow moving projectile + Homing is great. Sadly from that point I got nothing but utility, and no wands went on sale in the Temple. Just didn't have the firepower to overcome the big fat floating tough guys.

1 hour ago, MK-1601 said:

Bit of a half-arsed review from Eurogamer, expecting Edge to have a bit more insight.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-10-18-noita-review-a-merciless-utterly-chaotic-wizardly-delight

I was just going to post differently - I think that's a really good review. It sums up what the game offers and definitely points out that it won't be for everyone (you know, cowards).

49 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

I was just going to post differently - I think that's a really good review. It sums up what the game offers and definitely points out that it won't be for everyone (you know, cowards).

I'm a coward and I still enjoy it!

1.0 feels a bit easier than everything that's come before - I died quite a bit on the first few runs because I was experimenting with the new stuff, but I'm now making lots of consistent progress and finding even bad runs a lot smoother. I don't think that's a bad thing at all really - the game is still a real challenge and a proper RNG-fest, but it feels like the nastiest points on it's teeth have been filed away a little.

1 hour ago, Lying Cat said:

1.0 feels a bit easier than everything that's come before - I died quite a bit on the first few runs because I was experimenting with the new stuff, but I'm now making lots of consistent progress and finding even bad runs a lot smoother. I don't think that's a bad thing at all really - the game is still a real challenge and a proper RNG-fest, but it feels like the nastiest points on it's teeth have been filed away a little.

I thought that too, but reckon it's more the serious hours that have been put in this past year.

It's a fucking marvel.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a Micro PC thing to do some basic photo editing on the big telly and stuff and by miraculous chance, I found that it runs Noita. 

What a game. I've wanted to join in with this thread for a long time. I've barely scratched the surface. Got to the third area once and mostly just thrown acid around and set things up on fire and died but I'm having a blast. Best game I've played in months. It's honestly dragged me out of a profound gaming malaise. 

y992mjB.jpg

What the actual effery?! I never thought I'd see the day! You're a PC gamer now? These truly are the end times.

This is most excellent news! :D

I need to get back on this, I haven't played for ages.

Are you actually playing with mouse and keyboard and everything?

Hahaha, I don't know why that's made me so happy.

@ImmaculateClump Haha, I tried and tried and tried to resist (officer) until I literally couldn't help myself. I've been doing some portrait photo stuff on the side and my conscience told me that you basically can't charge for photos you edit on your bloody phone.

Mouse, WASD, the whole shebang. I'm on low settings but it's a good un. Pretty tough but I'm finding if I take it steady, let the elements do the work for me early on until I get some tidy wand, I'm making a bit of progress. Not got past the third area yet, mind you! Just nice to be into something again, even if it is on PC. :twisted:

I've not really played much for quite a long while and I do think that I've significantly damaged my hand even if it doesn't feel painful now in regular activities. I tried some Ketsui on pad the other day and my right thumb and back of my hand wrecked by stage four, just from holding auto fire. I hooked my stick up to this chode PC and while it was definitely better than a month or so ago, it felt weak and achey after a couple of runs on Crimzon Clover. Anyway, the doc gave me some hand exercises to do (wahey) and I've obviously not bothered so I'll start on them. 

In the meantime, click click click! 

• 3 weeks later...

Got my first Game Completed since 1.0 last night. The end boss feels easier now although I did have an insane wand.

A tip for people with weaker CPU/GPU - change the video settings to 1280x720 and fullscreened window. I guess this will make some per-pixel fx (like shrooms) look worse but the world simulation is still lower res than this so you won't lose any detail. Noita's renderer seems to be oddly inefficient for what it's doing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Got my first win! Completely undeserved, though. I picked up a perk which gave my active wand a random always-cast spell - this felt like a real gamble at the time, I half expected to get a spell that would blow me up immediately, but ended up with a rapid fire meteor wand that just demolished everything in my way. I already had fire immunity and explosion resistance, so it was just a case of holding down fire and loosely pointing in the direction of where I wanted to go. I honestly couldn't tell you what any of the enemies on the last few stages do because they didn't get much of a chance to do anything apart from explode.

This result was a bit of an abberation as I'm at the stage where a good run will get me to the snow level, and an excellent one to Hilsi base. I've only seen past that twice - once when I got invisiblity and stealthed my way almost all the way through the jungle, and this run. I don't have a good sense for what I should be doing - balancing exploring off to the sides rather than bee-lining for the exit? Also don't really know how to build a good wand yet. I've read some guides so I understand the concepts, but don't really know how to assemble all the parts to make something worthwhile. Might have to watch some streams to see how people who know what they are doing are approaching it. Really loving it though, I'm enjoying pretty much every run as I learn something new (usually about the different ways things combine to self-destructive effect!)