rllmuk
womblingfree

Gaming tables

Have you got one? Do you want one? Have you made one?

We’re in the market for a new dinner table, and I’d really love to get one that doubles s a hidden gaming table with cup holders. The best known ones are made by Geeknson,

http://www.geeknson.co.uk/uk/product-category/furniture/tables/

...with a new competitor on the horizon by Freebird.

These all cost a bloody fortune, starting around £800 and going up to thousands of pounds. Does anyone have anything they’ve configured themselves that does the job?

I haven't, but a guy in local meta did:

22815377_10159362008560580_6582156678373

He's offered his servicees to make one for nanyone else interested, but the cost was pretty high. I could see why, the materials are quality and ti took him ages to make this.

I'd lie if I said I wasn't tempted though.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Have you got one? Do you want one? Have you made one?

We’re in the market for a new dinner table, and I’d really love to get one that doubles s a hidden gaming table with cup holders. The best known ones are made by Geeknson,

http://www.geeknson.co.uk/uk/product-category/furniture/tables/

...with a new competitor on the horizon by Freebird.

These all cost a bloody fortune, starting around £800 and going up to thousands of pounds. Does anyone have anything they’ve configured themselves that does the job?

I can’t remember which brand it was, but one company that makes them gave away a £200 discount voucher at UKGE 2018. Not helpful directly, but since they were giving that much to everyone then there’s definitely room for bartering or discounts. Maybe a Black Friday thing?

I’ll definitely get one at some stage, still being able to have a table while a game is in progress is definitely a benefit.

1 hour ago, The Hierophant said:

It’s Geeknson I have seen at UK Games Expo for a few years. 

Ta. I thought it might be. 

This might not be a popular opinion, but you could just buy a roll of felt and cut it down to the right size.  Put it out on the table when you're playing games - it's probably the same amount of effort you'd go to reconfiguring your table from "normal" to "games" mode.  You can still get a good quality table, but probably a lot cheaper.

I wanted a gaming table for ages, but after actually playing on one at Expo, I was a bit put off.  I usually rest my arms on the table and I found the narrower edge slightly uncomfortable and dipping down into the "well" of the table felt quite unnatural.

25 minutes ago, donpeartree said:

This might not be a popular opinion, but you could just buy a roll of felt and cut it down to the right size.  Put it out on the table when you're playing games - it's probably the same amount of effort you'd go to reconfiguring your table from "normal" to "games" mode.  You can still get a good quality table, but probably a lot cheaper.

I wanted a gaming table for ages, but after actually playing on one at Expo, I was a bit put off.  I usually rest my arms on the table and I found the narrower edge slightly uncomfortable and dipping down into the "well" of the table felt quite unnatural.

I agree with all that, especially the arms bit, but it's the "being able to eat properly while a game is ongoing" bit that appeals to me. 

• Upvote 1

I've been completely put off the whole idea through regular use of geeknson tables at a local gaming cafe (MEGAN tables, I think); I play a weekly game of D&D there (using modular tiles, miniatures etc.), and we've quickly realised that there's just no point to us ever adapting the table into 'gaming' mode, as it's a faff to do, and we inevitably end up getting drinks and food and, frankly, there just isn't enough space when it's converted to do both, so it's far easier to just use the table as, well, a table.

I suppose if we had one at home it would be convenient for storing games in progress away, but that convenience doesn't really justify the cost.

Screw the big recess, I want a gaming table with a top that’s just a big LCD screen under safety glass. Hook up my laptop and run Roll 20/Fantasy Grounds.

There are a few vids on YT with cost effective ways to do it.

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Screw the big recess, I want a gaming table with a top that’s just a big LCD screen under safety glass. Hook up my laptop and run Roll 20/Fantasy Grounds.

There are a few vids on YT with cost effective ways to do it.

There was a really neat looking solution for that on Kickstarter not long ago:

Might be worth keeping an eye on to see if it actually comes out well.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Rev said:

I can’t remember which brand it was, but one company that makes them gave away a £200 discount voucher at UKGE 2018. Not helpful directly, but since they were giving that much to everyone then there’s definitely room for bartering or discounts. Maybe a Black Friday thing?

I’ll definitely get one at some stage, still being able to have a table while a game is in progress is definitely a benefit.

Some of those Geeknson tables have a starting price getting on for five grand! God knows how much they’d be if you pimped them out with all the fancy lighting and extras they have on show at UKGE. Their cheapest is around £900.

All the extras look awful.  I didn’t realise the overlap between boy racer and tabletop gamer.

I think the comments around the tables look sound.  Obviously it won’t work for miniatures games but some sort of tabletop covering, baize or the sort of thing that keeps jigsaws secure is probably a better solution.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Some of those Geeknson tables have a starting price getting on for five grand! God knows how much they’d be if you pimped them out with all the fancy lighting and extras they have on show at UKGE. Their cheapest is around £900.

I didn’t mean that £200 was a significant saving, just that they can hand that out without thinking then there’s clearly lots of profit and therefore lots of potential reduction. 

That said, all their expensive tables are awful and look really cheap, despite the price. The Sheffield dude you put in the first post is almost certainly a better option. 

1 hour ago, ravnaz said:

FWIW - if you wanted to buy one, I can deffo recommend these guys. 

http://naturaltwentytables.co.uk/

I had one built for the lounge area at my company. 

Several options available and the website allows you to put it together with costings.

20190906_101353_capture.thumb.jpg.c309eb97534da936dec46e4e303a1574.jpg

They deliver and install too. 

Interest free?! Fuck, I might actually get one.

• Upvote 1

Ah yes, they also offer personal finance to help lighten the load. 

Seriously, they're a great little company. Workmanship is brilliant and everyone is loving the table. It's dead comfy too, exactly the right dimensions to lean your arms on and be able to play. 

That one in the picture is 5ft x 3.5ft, solid pine with cherry red surface.

They also offer a faux leather surface, which looks amaze. 

You can get the leaves too, so that it converts to a regular table. Ours are just permanently off though. 

@ravnaz Does it contain spills from leaking through to the gaming section? I’m loving the Freebird at the moment for sheer thoughtful design, but 0% interest and heavy customisation makes Natural Twenty a serious contender.

1 hour ago, womblingfree said:

@ravnaz Does it contain spills from leaking through to the gaming section? I’m loving the Freebird at the moment for sheer thoughtful design, but 0% interest and heavy customisation makes Natural Twenty a serious contender.

Not sure I'm afraid. We've never used them and probably never will. The leaves have been put away in the stock room somewhere. 

Email Natural 20s and ask them. I had a long back and forth with them whilst ordering. 

• Upvote 1