IGNORED

Disco Elysium

SM47

I've played this for about 10 minutes now so here's my rllmuk review.....

I'm not a fan of rpgs generally but the writing, the art style and the premise so far has me utterly captivated. This is a next level game. 

Stray Toasters/5

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/632470/view/3334287173823797600

A list of influences including Rembrandt and The Wire

Stray toasters 2.jpg

Should I get this on PC or Series X? How controller friendly is it?

On the one hand, it's cheaper on PC and I have the mouse and keyboard stuff there if that's how it's meant to be played.

On the other, I'm way more likely to stick the Xbox on these days than load something up on the PC. Plus quick resume etc. 

I don't really like using M+KB for games at all if I can help it but this looks like it's meant to be played that way.

My PC is fairly decent so that shouldn't be an issue.

7 minutes ago, Pockets said:

On the one hand, it's cheaper on PC and I have the mouse and keyboard stuff there if that's how it's meant to be played.

On the other, I'm way more likely to stick the Xbox on these days than load something up on the PC. Plus quick resume etc. 

I don't really like using M+KB for games at all if I can help it but this looks like it's meant to be played that way.

If you are comfortable with PC, I'd get that version. That said, I found it perfectly playable on console. Mind you I have a pretty decent sized TV and this a rather text-heavy game. Lots of it spoken out aloud yes, but lots of text all the same.

22 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I started on PC (with the original release) then got the PS5 version when Final Cut came out.

It played better with a mouse but it kept crashing on my PC. Console version is fine, but the text is quite small and there were places I had trouble navigating scenery due to direct character control.

48 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

If you are comfortable with PC, I'd get that version. That said, I found it perfectly playable on console. Mind you I have a pretty decent sized TV and this a rather text-heavy game. Lots of it spoken out aloud yes, but lots of text all the same.

30 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

I started on PC (with the original release) then got the PS5 version when Final Cut came out.

It played better with a mouse but it kept crashing on my PC. Console version is fine, but the text is quite small and there were places I had trouble navigating scenery due to direct character control.

Thanks. I have a 55” OLED which I’d use for PC or Xbox so nothing to choose between there. Looking at YouTube vids suggest I’ll be okay but unless the sizing is different, they’d be on the same screen. 

I’m leaning towards Xbox I think. I really don’t like using a mouse for that long and the quietness and quick loading and proper HDR (if it does HDR) are usually preferable. 

I’ve convinced myself haven’t I?

1 minute ago, Pelekophoros said:

I'm coming to the end of the first day, and I've been going through all of the conversation options. Is that the wrong thing to do? Should I be laser focused on staying in character?

It's fine. Sometimes that has its own repercussions though. Don't ask what you don't want to know. Or answer in return. :)

3 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

I'm coming to the end of the first day, and I've been going through all of the conversation options. Is that the wrong thing to do? Should I be laser focused on staying in character?

I think you can play it how you want. Sometimes options get closed off depending on your answers, if you pick the ones that are open ended, you get the chance to ask more questions. No wrong way I don’t think, but I do try and keep in the character I’ve picked and am playing.

1 hour ago, memories said:

Any first hand Switch impression from folk?

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Yeah would love to know how it performs as this looks perfect for handheld sofa time.

I can’t compare it to any other version because I’ve not played it on anything else . I’m sure it’s probably much smoother on more poweful hardware . 

Does that matter when you are lying in bed with headphones on ?

not a jot . I purposely held off buying it for ps5 because it exactly the sort of game I want to play handheld

it’s absolutely fine on switch . I can’t say how good the game is cos I’m like an hour into it, but no complaints on performance, making allowances for the fact i am playing it in handheld mode.

Buy with confidence .

58 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

I can’t compare it to any other version because I’ve not played it on anything else . I’m sure it’s probably much smoother on more poweful hardware . 

not a jot . I purposely held off buying it for ps5 because it exactly the sort of game I want to play handheld

it’s absolutely fine on switch . I can’t say how good the game is cos I’m like an hour into it, but no complaints on performance, making allowances for the fact i am playing it in handheld mode.

Buy with confidence .

Good to read.

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

Buy with confidence .

Lad.

I started on Switch this evening. Not played it on any other format before and I must admit to finding the controls and interface a little frustrating. I'm sure it'll be fine but it's not completely right. 

Decided to try and get the PS4 version over the switch for this only to find it's not out until November.

Wtf is that about? I've got the day to myself on Friday and would have been perfect for that.

36 minutes ago, memories said:

Decided to try and get the PS4 version over the switch for this only to find it's not out until November.

Wtf is that about? I've got the day to myself on Friday and would have been perfect for that.

It’s been out for months. I got the PS4 version with the PS5 version back in April.

9 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

It’s been out for months. I got the PS4 version with the PS5 version back in April.

As a physical copy?

It on download but Amazon is saying November 16 for physical version of final cut.

Might just get the switch version instead.

I'm very tempted to pick up this EXCELLENT FUCKING VIDEOGAME for my shiny new Switch OLED, but the £36 price tag is making me hesitate, especially as I already own it on PC (where I paid about £9 for it, or something). I know it's the same price on Xbox and PS5, but still...

Are pre-orders for the physical Switch version live anywhere? It's due 'Early 2022', apparently, but I can't find anywhere to pre-order it from.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Are pre-orders for the physical Switch version live anywhere? It's due 'Early 2022', apparently, but I can't find anywhere to pre-order it from.

Fuck sake. Is the Switch version digital only at the moment as well?

57 minutes ago, memories said:

Fuck sake. Is the Switch version digital only at the moment as well?

It appears so. Xbox and PS4 are getting physical editions next month but there’s nothing listed for Switch I can see.

Standard Switch physical coming early next year, as well as the $250 collectors edition which is on sale now (though I don't think it's shipped yet)

I'm waiting for the switch physical.

This will be my first game on Steam Deck. I've waited this long, I can manage another few months. All assuming they include a legible font size option for it (as they seem to have done for Switch).

5 hours ago, Strafe said:

Standard Switch physical coming early next year, as well as the $250 collectors edition which is on sale now (though I don't think it's shipped yet)

I'm waiting for the switch physical.

Early next year fuck sake. What am I doing on Friday then???

£33 digital on PS, hmm, not sure it's worth the risk, was looking at physical as I'm not sure about this one and looking at resale if I didn't enjoy.

What is the logic with the delayed physical release?

Just now, memories said:

Early next year fuck sake. What am I doing on Friday then???

£33 digital on PS, hmm, not sure it's worth the risk, was looking at physical as I'm not sure about this one and looking at resale if I didn't enjoy.

What is the logic with the delayed physical release?

Presumably the publishers don’t have the cash/will to front a physical sale (and switch carts are going to be pricier than printing a disc) and are waiting to see how well the game does before committing. I imagine there might also be logistic issues relating to manufacture right now - components, shipping, mad currency fluctuations etc.

Also, it could be some other reason that I don’t know/understand.