IGNORED

Disco Elysium

SM47

5 hours ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

I died after having a heart attack from knocking on a door anyway. :hmm:

I’m sorry, that is VERY funny to me. It sounds like you’ve discovered the limits of the type of cop you’ve chosen, at this point in the game, where you maybe are weaker and haven’t got to grips with the HUD? I suspect you wouldn’t be subject to such harsh conditions once you’ve gotten a bit further in, but I can’t say for sure.

Was this early on? Did you choose a preset cop or build your own stats? I’ve only ever done the former but, now at the end of my 2nd run, only have the cop type I think you’ve chosen left, so can’t speak from direct experience with how frustrating that might be.

EDIT: I should say, L1 + the right direction stick to choose the highlighted object with X, on PS4 works wonders for the controls.

I think this surpasses Planescape Torment as the best written RPG of all time. I also think it surpasses Planescape Torment as the best Planescape Torment-like* of all time if it stays this good. I love it so much :wub:

*Torment Tides of Numenera as the distant third

44 minutes ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Okay so it seems I’ve been thinking about this game a lot despite game overing last night. I’ve no inclination to reload a save so I’m gonna start again, and because I’ve been doing it anyway, I’m gonna use hardcore mode. Lesssgo!

I’ve not done Hardcore. If it was frustrating you before, maybe check the difference before proceeding?

I might run that for me last run with the remaining type. I think / hope to have seen most of the content having done the three presets.

Is this game buggy af or is hardcore mode more than just “if you die you can’t reload”?

Items just flat out don’t appear in my inventory.

Spoiler

The casette case from the opening room, the pen from the old lady, the tools from the car (except the torch), my ledger when Kim gives it me back.

Ive restarted countless times (thankfully can check the cassette one fairly quickly) but can’t get the inventory to actually register all items.

EDIT: Quitting the game (as in closing the app on my Xbox) and starting a new game seems to have fixed it. Wish I’d realised stuff was missing earlier :mad:

edit2: maybe not. I started again so I could pick the selections I want in the opening bit and then when I picked up the cassette case it vanished. Will try again tomorrow. Literally been playing for 2 hours tonight with nothing to show for it. Fuck sake.

Edited by disperse and recoagulate

Guess I'm lucky.. no bugs yet on Series X. Hope I didn't jinx it by saying this out loud :unsure:

22 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I think this surpasses Planescape Torment as the best written RPG of all time.

I have to add that the voice acting so far is also superb.

Cuno :lol:

I bought this on launch day on the Xbox but have yet to start it. I got caught up in the hype it had been getting. But since buying it I've read something about a 10 day limit in the game to finish the story? That has put me right off to be honest. Is it as annoying as it potentially sounds? (I hated Majoras Mask for example, for having its time limits) cheers

9 minutes ago, SteveH said:

I bought this on launch day on the Xbox but have yet to start it. I got caught up in the hype it had been getting. But since buying it I've read something about a 10 day limit in the game to finish the story? That has put me right off to be honest. Is it as annoying as it potentially sounds? (I hated Majoras Mask for example, for having its time limits) cheers

It's nothing like the game mechanic in Majora's Mask. It's more of a story framing device. And the game is really just intended to be played in whatever way events play out: there are no "wrong" choices. It's better to not really think of it as a game and more of a pure tabletop RPG experience, where the goal isn't "beating" it as such but just to experience different events play out from whatever you do.

Time in it isn't "real time" either. Time only ticks past when you pick dialogue options or do actions.

I think I've decided this just isn't me and it's time to move on. I've found something pulling me back over the twenty-odd hours I've been playing but I'm no where near connecting with it in the same way as this thread. I just find the world a bit confusing and unpleasant to be in. 

I also don't understand what people find likable about Kitsuragi. And I'm amazed people find Cuno funny. I must just not be wired to whatever it is this game is trying to do! :lol:

15 minutes ago, Jolly said:

I think I've decided this just isn't me and it's time to move on. I've found something pulling me back over the twenty-odd hours I've been playing but I'm no where near connecting with it in the same way as this thread. I just find the world a bit confusing and unpleasant to be in. 

I also don't understand what people find likable about Kitsuragi. And I'm amazed people find Cuno funny. I must just not be wired to whatever it is this game is trying to do! :lol:

If the story, setting, and characters aren't doing it for you then that's fair enough. I was intrigued by all of it right from the start and I'm completely in love with the setting they created. But there have been plenty of games and movies and books that everyone around me seems to love while they do nothing for me. That's just how it goes, and life's too short to spend time with something you don't enjoy. Don't feel bad about it!

when I started, I thought the setting was utter mundane alternative history nonsense. 

Spoiler

And then… then suddenly the game explains exactly what an isola is. And the duality of the word hits you full force and other elements leak out and NOW I WANT AN RPG SETTING OF THIS GODDAMMIT GIVE IT TO ME.

Spoiler

WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE’S A HOLE?!?!?!

On 05/11/2021 at 14:46, Mr. Gerbik said:

Guess I'm lucky.. no bugs yet on Series X. Hope I didn't jinx it by saying this out loud :unsure:

From my experience it seems like if your game doesn't have bugs from the very beginning, you're safe.

I've since managed to restart, on hardcore mode, and successfully collect stuff so I'm sorted. Navigated my way through day one without game overing - although had one very near miss when swapping a jacket with +1 endurance to one without, and nearly keeled over. Switching back in the nick of time saved me. So daft. :D

23 hours ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

From my experience it seems like if your game doesn't have bugs from the very beginning, you're safe.

I've since managed to restart, on hardcore mode, and successfully collect stuff so I'm sorted. Navigated my way through day one without game overing - although had one very near miss when swapping a jacket with +1 endurance to one without, and nearly keeled over. Switching back in the nick of time saved me. So daft. :D

I've just realized you might not have twigged that you can heal yourself before you actually die if something bad happens. If you're on your last life or morale segment, hit respectively left or right on the dpad before the bar ticks down to zero. You should have plenty of healing items.l, no need to die from  knocking on a door.

I'm on day 4 so far and enjoying it immensely but I do need to be in the mood for the amounts of text and speech. I'm finding the controls fine but traversing some screens is a little fiddly. 

As said by others, the voice acting and variety is so good. The Limbic system is currently my favourite but all the different parts of you psyche are great.

I'm definitely going straight back in after this playthrough ends, i fancy a much more extreme and edgy playthrough.

I couldn't resist making a save before going down an obviously bad route with the Cuno. I'm not going to spoil it, but I was amazed at how far that awful rabbit hole seemed to go, even with new quests related to this bad situation popping up.

Right now I'm trying to be a good cop, to redeem myself and apologize for past wrongdoings. But I'm definitely going to try a big dumb bastard asshole playthrough next!

@Robsk1 I have the same thing. It's one of my all-time faves but as a busy father, sometimes I'm too knackered in the evening to absorb a story heavy game like this. For such moments I have something like Metro Exodus or Crysis 2 on the go at the moment, depending on my tired dadness stat :)

Also check out the Disco cosplay in this tweet from GOG, it's *excellent*. Especially the plastic bag :D

• 2 weeks later...

This keeps getting better and better. I'm taking my sweet time, savouring every piece of dialogue in this fantastic game. I accidentally completed almost every available side quest in the first part because I had no idea how to advance the main investigation :lol: Unlocked the boring as f*ck achievement because I'm trying to be a good cop :lol: The Cuno *respects* me now - that was an amazing storyline. I completed a secret quest to end the erm escalation situation. This is fucking brilliant. 

@Wiper I'm officially calling it - Disco Elysium is officially *even better* than Planescape Torment.

Just finished it. Man, what a trip. More an exhilarating experience than simply playing a game. Love it. This is easily one of the best RPGs I've ever played and I'm definitely in for whatever this developer decides to make next - hopefully a sequel because there's so much potential still in this wonderful setting.

Massive spoilers!

Spoiler

Just one side quest I didn't manage to finish - open Klaasje's buoy. Because the damn  thing was bugged.

Other than that... Man. The standoff was real edge of my seat stuff. The fat guy and the old guy died, the Shanky one ran away. All three mercenaries dead, shot their leader in the face and saved Kitsuragi thank god. Kim is brilliant, I'm a big Kim fan.

Managed to get a complete confession and then

Spoiler

I TALKED TO THAT FUCKING PLASMID.

Best result: I'm back on the force and I managed to recruit Kitsuragi!!! Yes!!!

What a game, what a game. Few RPGs are as well-written as this. It's way way up there with the likes of Planescape Torment and the more recent Yakuza games. Fantastic stuff. One of the best games I've ever played. An all-time classic.

10 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Just finished it. Man, what a trip. More an exhilarating experience than simply playing a game. Love it. This is easily one of the best RPGs I've ever played and I'm definitely in for whatever this developer decides to make next - hopefully a sequel because there's so much potential still in this wonderful setting.

Massive spoilers!

Reveal hidden contents

Just one side quest I didn't manage to finish - open Klaasje's buoy. Because the damn  thing was bugged.

Other than that... Man. The standoff was real edge of my seat stuff. The fat guy and the old guy died, the Shanky one ran away. All three mercenaries dead, shot their leader in the face and saved Kitsuragi thank god. Kim is brilliant, I'm a big Kim fan.

Managed to get a complete confession and then

Reveal hidden contents

I TALKED TO THAT FUCKING PLASMID.

Best result: I'm back on the force and I managed to recruit Kitsuragi!!! Yes!!!

What a game, what a game. Few RPGs are as well-written as this. It's way way up there with the likes of Planescape Torment and the more recent Yakuza games. Fantastic stuff. One of the best games I've ever played. An all-time classic.

Now all is well again. :D

Regarding those massive spoilers:

Spoiler

Might have mentioned this elsewhere, but I genuinely chocked up after pulling the trigger in the stand-off. Trying to de-escalate everything and then finding your only real option being to shoot. It's an action that's trivial in every other game and here's it's the only time you do it and... I just sat down shaking after shooting thinking about what I did and why the hell did I do it, etc. etc. To me that was an experience akin to stuff experienced in Ico, Rez, etc. Just a genre defining moment. How on Earth can your RPG be so good, for it to make me doubt pulling a virtual trigger?!

Being the goody two-shoes, I also stumbled into the plasmid which was something I genuinely did not expect. Felt like walking on clouds. Truly as if all the bumbling about had one slight uptick.

Also, the title screen has now so, sooooo much more weight. Spent a few minutes to track down the window.

Glad you got to experience this one. :D

53 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Now all is well again. :D

Regarding those massive spoilers:

Hide contents

Might have mentioned this elsewhere, but I genuinely chocked up after pulling the trigger in the stand-off. Trying to de-escalate everything and then finding your only real option being to shoot. It's an action that's trivial in every other game and here's it's the only time you do it and... I just sat down shaking after shooting thinking about what I did and why the hell did I do it, etc. etc. To me that was an experience akin to stuff experienced in Ico, Rez, etc. Just a genre defining moment. How on Earth can your RPG be so good, for it to make me doubt pulling a virtual trigger?!

Being the goody two-shoes, I also stumbled into the plasmid which was something I genuinely did not expect. Felt like walking on clouds. Truly as if all the bumbling about had one slight uptick.

Also, the title screen has now so, sooooo much more weight. Spent a few minutes to track down the window.

Glad you got to experience this one. :D

I'm really glad I experienced it too. I've been playing videogames for over three decades and there have been a handful of games that I can point to and say - THIS. THIS is why I play games, this exhilarating feeling that these handful of games gave me. This is the dragon that I'm chasing. Disco Elysium is now one of those games.

The event you mention had the same effect on me. Not just that specific moment you describe, but also the thing with Kim. I didn't lie when I said I was on the edge of my seat. When the event was over, I noticed I had been holding my breath. 

The very end, with what we both experienced, was similarly mind-blowing for me. 

Usually I finish a game, and move on to the next. It was fun, time for something else. But with Disco Elysium I'm still thinking about it the next day. 

Oh and all the Dutch in the game means of course big plus points overall.