SM47

It will make little difference to gameplay itself. It's not a game where performance is a concern, as it's characters moving over static backgrounds with side windows for text and dialogue.

Just play it on the screen most comfortable reading on.

I actually assume it would be fantastic on Switch as you can pick it up like reading a Kindle I'd imagine, so much more convenient.

8 hours ago, Harrisown said:

I bought this the other night, only managed an hour or so but it’s interesting.

Its a bit more wordy than I would like. The narration voice over Isn’t that good, it’s very man in a booth reading a script for the first time.

Divinity had perfect narration voice over.

The other voice work is good, I love how the cops are French.

Artwork is really nicely done.

Playing on ps5 and it loads like a PS4 game, no idea why, Unity engine I guess…

Wow you really think that? In my opinion, and not based on anything really, it's the best Voice acting I can remember in a game.

Is it general consensus that the VO is poor? I'm flabbergasted if so. 

No. The VO, especially the narrator/narrators, is excellent throughout and anyone saying otherwise has some sort of acquired brain injury - like some form of aphasia such that when they say it has bad VO they actually mean something radically different and completely unrelated to the topic at hand. Or I don't know they don't know what the fuck they're taking about, one or the other. 

8 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Wow you really think that? In my opinion, and not based on anything really, it's the best Voice acting I can remember in a game.

Is it general consensus that the VO is poor? I'm flabbergasted if so. 

No the general feeling is that it’s superb. I just hear a lot of awkward endings to sentences. I mean it’s fine but a lot of the time the peaks and valleys of the tone don’t match the length of the sentence…..hence why it sounds like someone’s reading it for the first time. I just think Divinity OS 2 was excellent in that respect, maybe an unfair bar.

10 hours ago, Harrisown said:

No the general feeling is that it’s superb. I just hear a lot of awkward endings to sentences. I mean it’s fine but a lot of the time the peaks and valleys of the tone don’t match the length of the sentence…..hence why it sounds like someone’s reading it for the first time. I just think Divinity OS 2 was excellent in that respect, maybe an unfair bar.

That intonation and cadence is what makes it though. It is very much a narrator with a style that supersedes all else to get the contrast it needs. The narration is unnerving to the point that it basically becomes Revachol talking back to your sorry ass. I found it to be a stellar performance. Not to say Divinity's is bad, but it's a much more 'expected' performance for the genre and didn't trigger anything for me.

This is of course incredible. I find some of the political and race stuff a bit hard to digest but I'm guessing that's half the point. Just started day 2 and I'm completely engrossed. They should force people who think Yakuza and Nier Automata are the pinnacle of storytelling to play this. 

The fact it makes all writing in other games look pathetic is both a great strength and depressing in equal measure.

Arguing with a racist truck driver about

Spoiler

The merits of an old mug of questionable taste while your partner gives you a few exasperated looks is like nothing you will ever find anywhere else.

It's such a well written game, even if it can be a bit heavy at times. It has some really great characters, even though I don't trust him remotely, Evart (Evert?) is just brilliant. The weirdness is great too, and isn't framed as being weird which makes it even more unsettling.

I'm only on Day 4 so if you're beyond that you've probably/possibly seen these;

Spoiler

Like the light bending rich guy in the container or the Mesque banger 'crab-man' in the church roof

Is it just me who finds the complete lack of explanation of game mechanics completely unacceptable, then?  I lost an hour of progress because I didn't realise I had to be manually saving all the time, and that, when it tells me my morale is critical and the graphic indicates it being at half, it actually means you're going to get a game over without a continue.  I also have no idea what's going on in general - what the various menus do, what a check is, what's happening during conversations.  How am I supposed to know this stuff?

9 minutes ago, klargon said:

Is it just me who finds the complete lack of explanation of game mechanics completely unacceptable, then?  I lost an hour of progress because I didn't realise I had to be manually saving all the time, and that, when it tells me my morale is critical and the graphic indicates it being at half, it actually means you're going to get a game over without a continue.  I also have no idea what's going on in general - what the various menus do, what a check is, what's happening during conversations.  How am I supposed to know this stuff?

I'm guessing it just felt natural to me. Might be the logic of checks coming straight from a pen & paper RPG, with the main controls and stats being CRPG staples. When the critical morale and health scenes appears there's a button highlighted what to do. I don't know, but there wasn't anything that made me scratch my head.

I wish there was more explanation for the Copotypes and stuff like that. From what I can tell you can just Opt In to all of them and it gives you more Thought Cabinet options. I didn't realise and declined loads as I thought I'd be locking myself out of stuff.

I thought they did explain the health and morale though. I'm sure a woman started narrating mechanics like that and how I could heal them. I thought it's obvious that zero in each is not a good thing. I think that's a setting you can turn off though?

I feel like I'm doing badly, all the time. I feel like I'm losing the game, because nothing really goes my way, I win a few dice rolls sure but I don't feel like I'm progressing...

And yet - I'm not stuck, I have my health and morale, the game keeps on running. I'm getting somewhere. This feeling of failure isn't about me playing the game, it's that it's hard to feel like you're winning when you're in control of a deadbeat drunk cop that your partner is ashamed of. In fact the one moment Kim seemed mildly pleased with something I did felt like the biggest win I'd had in the game so far. 

It's a hard feeling to shake, the desire to 'do well' in a game. But it's great when you do. I don't really understand any of the politics and find it hard to keep a track of it but, eh, I like Disco and getting high so I might just say some random opinions and hope that it's what the person wants to hear. I'm spineless like that.

6 minutes ago, cowfields said:

I thought they did explain the health and morale though.

It does, but doesn’t directly explain that one conversation choice can kill you. The fact that the blue bar only reduced to half is my issue - how can that mean death? It’s like it intentionally wants to frustrate the player. It’s unnecessarily obtuse. It probably doesn’t help that I have no interest in pen and paper RPGs and I don’t read for pleasure.  I think it’s just not for me.

28 minutes ago, klargon said:

It does, but doesn’t directly explain that one conversation choice can kill you. The fact that the blue bar only reduced to half is my issue - how can that mean death? It’s like it intentionally wants to frustrate the player. It’s unnecessarily obtuse. It probably doesn’t help that I have no interest in pen and paper RPGs and I don’t read for pleasure.  I think it’s just not for me.

Depending upon your stats you can differing amounts of morale/health. When your last chunk is spend, it'll become a timer as it slowly empties so you can choose whether to heal (drugs/meds) or simply pass away (doing nothing). So if you had two chunks on the blue bar with one spent, choosing an option which depletes it by one, starts the timer. Which you could see as 'dying' when at 50%.

PC version example (Evrart encounter spoiler):

Spoiler

1 hour ago, klargon said:

It probably doesn’t help that I have no interest in pen and paper RPGs and I don’t read for pleasure.

Quite a bold purchase!

Incidentally when you take any form of damage during conversations it's pretty in your face with screen going red and the main character making a sound of being hurt. Things which nearly universally in all games ever indicate being closer to death. There's very few games where you wouldn't expect to die from that indicated damage at some point.

I dunno, I've been playing games for plenty of years.  A half full energy bar isn't death.  I don't think I noticed any sounds of being hurt or anything.  I purely thought it was a single bar, that was only being partially depleted, that I would be able to recharge by sleeping, which is what I was about to do.  I would say there was nothing unconventional about my expectations.

It's a failure in design.  How does a player know that it's a multiple block system where each interaction reduces it by a single block if they've only ever seen it have one block?  It's a failure because the person designing the mechanic already knows there will be multiple blocks at some point, which is not the knowledge a player has.

As for it being a bold purchase, it was a universally praised game.  It serves to indicate the bias in critics, as people tend to review genres of games that they are already likely to enjoy.  It doesn't give a very rounded opinion of how that game will be to the wider audience.

I'm not trying to be argumentative.  I'm just surprised that the opinions all seem to be unified in a love for the game.  I want to carry on playing it, but it just feels like the game is intentionally trying to make me abandon by causing frustration in entirely unnecessary ways.

It's bascially a FIghting Fantasy choose your own adventure book with some animated backdrops, if you're not into reading then I'd say just put it away now as it really, really won't be for you even once you fully understand the mechanics.

2 hours ago, klargon said:

As for it being a bold purchase, it was a universally praised game.  It serves to indicate the bias in critics, as people tend to review genres of games that they are already likely to enjoy.  It doesn't give a very rounded opinion of how that game will be to the wider audience.

I think if someone reviewed Halo starting with "I don't like first person shooters" I'd just not read that review. I think reviews really should start with the reviewer wanting to like something. 

Not having a go, it's fine to bounce off of something. In fact I applaud you having a go with the game but If you don't like pen and paper RPGs nor reading I can't imagine why you'd like the game, heh.

I think, though, your complaint is more along the lines of how it should autosave or remind you to save more often, than the mechanics themselves. There's no real consequence to dying, other than losing time. One shot deaths happen in so many games.

I hear that complaint though - I am bad at remembering to save often. If it autosaved before any interaction insta-death would not really be that big a deal. It might not fix the amount of text you need to read though. I think it might also breed a bad habit in me personally - feeling like "that conversation could have gone better" and "I am upset that I pissed that lady off" isn't a good enough reason to reload a save, but I could give into that temptation.

I do think it does a poor job of explaining some of the mechanics at the start (or at all in some cases). The developers must know this as you can press the 'Y' button on the title screen for a few small tips, but this isn't immediately obvious you can do so. The mechanics are pretty simple though and it it doesn't require a constant introduction to new skills and abilities.

@cowfields With the conversations I think you have to focus on 'progress' rather than whether a particular interaction was positive or negative. It can be annoying when something doesn't go your way or you get a negative modifier on a check but in most instances this doesn't halt progress, it maybe just delays it or requires an alternative solution.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to get into this again for the...fifth time, maybe?

Just inspected Kim's car. Caused morale loss for some reason. Got game over. Reloaded my save and it's where I've just walked downstairs in the Whirling in Rags after leaving my apartment and finding my shoe. Fuck sake this game is trying so hard to make me dislike it.