IGNORED

Disco Elysium

SM47

21 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Trying to get into this again for the...fifth time, maybe?

Just inspected Kim's car. Caused morale loss for some reason. Got game over. Reloaded my save and it's where I've just walked downstairs in the Whirling in Rags after leaving my apartment and finding my shoe. Fuck sake this game is trying so hard to make me dislike it.

You should have some right from the start, just look around. If you really can't find any, the shop right next door sells both types of health items once you have some cash.

Press left to heal health (red) and right to heal morale (blue) once you're on your last segment of either bar. You'll get a prompt and have plenty of time before it slowly ticks all the way down.

Keep in mind that it's two bars, I read somewhere about someone getting confused thinking they were only halfway down the single health bar while in reality it was the morale bar that ticked all the way down and being mighty annoyed about it too :lol:

You can invest points in a certain stats to get more segments in each bar. I never bothered tbh, once you get used to how the game works and don't attempt either obviously crazy/risky dialogue options OR dialogue options that check stats you're low in - you'll rarely have any problems. And you'll be walking around with plenty of healing items either way.

Keep in mind that there's no one correct way to play the game. Anything works. So if you're highly intelligent but weak, eirher avoid strength checks or save first. In some situations where a very particular stat check is seemingly required to advance, there are also ways around that.

Also dialogue failures are just a different story direction not necessarily the wrong outcome. The best and most fun way to play is to just roll with it. Literally role play the kind of character you want your amnesiac asshole to be.

If you're still unsure how it all works and still finding it difficult, just quick save before every conversation. But you'll soon hit a point where you realise you really don't need to.

It can be a bit annoying to fail an easy white check, especially one that seems to block off progress but for the most part just roll with the 'failures' and move on. Embrace failure, it's what makes most TTRPG's fun. I now try and keep a skill point in reserve so I can always improve a skill to reopen any white check I think might be important.

I did have a section where I kept failing an increasingly easy white check and just reloaded a couple of times until it succeeded, but that's the only time i've done it and I must be 15 hours in.

Spoiler

The authority check with Titus Hardie. I'd found loads of secret bonuses and already failed and moved onto other things a couple of times to the point where i'd run out of stuff to do and couldn't see any other way of progressing the story. I possibly missed something to progress it another way, or simply didn't have the requisite skills to do so.

39 minutes ago, phresh said:

It can be a bit annoying to fail an easy white check, especially one that seems to block off progress but for the most part just roll with the 'failures' and move on. Embrace failure, it's what makes most TTRPG's fun. I now try and keep a skill point in reserve so I can always improve a skill to reopen any white check I think might be important.

I did have a section where I kept failing an increasingly easy white check and just reloaded a couple of times until it succeeded, but that's the only time i've done it and I must be 15 hours in.

Hide contents

The authority check with Titus Hardie. I'd found loads of secret bonuses and already failed and moved onto other things a couple of times to the point where i'd run out of stuff to do and couldn't see any other way of progressing the story. I possibly missed something to progress it another way, or simply didn't have the requisite skills to do so.

That check took me ages as well. Even at 80+% I failed it at least once. Massive pain as I really couldn't see any other way to progress. I'm finally past it now and think I'm not far off finishing this. 

A great game and the hassle of playing on Switch has only been a minor nuisance. 

Yeah Disco generally does a good job of making the failure state just as interesting as a success but there are certain times you'll get locked out of content on a fail and that's pretty shit.

3 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

This one wasn't even a check, I just inspected the car gears and it killed me, or at least made my character so depressed they just gave up :lol:

How long had you been playing the game by this point? I'm in the very early stages (getting to evening on day one, role playing some kind of cross between Nick Cave and somebody in a Nick Cave song), but I looked at the car pretty early on, I'm not sure how I'd have done much damage to myself by that point already. I have no idea what I'm doing with this sort of game whatsoever, but I'm enjoying it so far. Then again, my character appeared to be mentally strong enough to withstand looking at the car without getting sad :lol:

I've just lost 40 minutes of gameplay (including the entire conversation with the boat lady about the pale, and reading an entire hjemdall book in the bookshop) because the game said it was autosaving multiple times but didn't, and for some reason I went from 4 health to having a heart attack while walking round a room I've already been in.

I went back to the lady and failed the check I passed 40 minutes ago.

1 hour ago, Moz said:

I've just lost 40 minutes of gameplay (including the entire conversation with the boat lady about the pale, and reading an entire hjemdall book in the bookshop) because the game said it was autosaving multiple times but didn't, and for some reason I went from 4 health to having a heart attack while walking round a room I've already been in.

I went back to the lady and failed the check I passed 40 minutes ago.

And yet this game is so good that it's worth redoing. 

I just hammered 1 for ages and had to stooge all my previous checks - even making sure I failed the ones I failed previously - to get back to where I was. Bit shitty, but oh well. I'm not sure why it stopped autosaving, restarting the game fixed it. It wasn't autosaving at all that session, it said it was but when I looked I only had quicksaves for that day. Luckily I was quicksaving!

Completed this last night, it's such a unique experience yet I can't help feeling a tiny bit empty about it still. It's absolutely gripping in places, and the most well written story i've ever experienced in a video game bar none. It's better than most movies in that regard. I ended the game with a good few incomplete white checks, and didn't take on every last side quest, although a 25 hour play time seems about average so I don't think I missed all that much. 

When starting the playthrough the possibilities felt endless and I was constantly thinking about how differently it might play with a different character build, but by the time I was about 4 days in it started to become apparent, having to go back and dig through conversations to just try and progress or get a bit of xp, that it's a lot more linear than it maybe let's on. With the options available in terms of build it's a shame that a second playthrough isn't particularly appealing (I think i'll have another crack in 12 months), maybe that's not a bad thing, I mean how many games do you complete where you really want to be able to play through it again straight after?

Phresh This post comes across a bit negative, it's absolutely a 9/10 for me and i'd recommend it to anyone who I think would like the story driven dynamics of it.

Electrochemistry : Maybe you should have drank more while playing!

Volition : Maybe you are just H**** in disguise!

Interfacing : Load a different game!

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've exhausted everything I can except a quest where I need to talk to the smoking lady on the balcony (I had to look that up). Sometimes she's there, sometimes she's not, but she never answers the door. I've tried with and without Kim, at every hour of the day, reloading etc, nothing works. Door is always closed and nothing happens when I knock or jiggle the handle. I've never been in her apartment and don't remember ever talking to her. Game broken?

Alice is supposed to be finding out some information about some armour for me "in a day", it's been 3 or 4 days and all she says is "still no word". 

I love this game but I'm a little surprised it gets such universal acclaim. At the end of the day, it's basically just reading an absolute ton of text with a pseudo-political theme. The atmosphere and world building is great, such a dingy and down-at-heel environment but also very alive and real. Characters are amazing too - Kim, Cuno, Measurehead, Everart ... mostly grotesque, but still great.  

The deaths after reading an hours' worth of text because you were too engrossed in the world to remember to quicksave ...like I said, I love it, but I'm kind of surprised everyone else does!

I can almost see this becoming a new genre of adventure game, with people ripping off the general UI principles and the exploring/dialogue mechanic and using in different settings and story genres.

Just now, Anne Summers said:

I love this game but I'm a little surprised it gets such universal acclaim. At the end of the day, it's basically just reading an absolute ton of text with a pseudo-political theme. I'm only a few days in so maybe the pace changes dramatically? The atmosphere and world building is great, such a dingy and down-at-heel environment but also very alive and real. Characters are amazing too - Kim, Cuno, Measurehead, Everart ... grotesque, but still great.  

The deaths after reading an hours' worth of text because you were too engrossed in the world to remember to quicksave ...like I said, I love it, but I'm kind of surprised everyone else does!

I can almost see this becoming a new genre of adventure game, with people ripping off the general UI principles and the exploring/dialogue mechanic and using in different settings and story genres.

3 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

I love this game but I'm a little surprised it gets such universal acclaim. At the end of the day, it's basically just reading an absolute ton of text with a pseudo-political theme. The atmosphere and world building is great, such a dingy and down-at-heel environment but also very alive and real. Characters are amazing too - Kim, Cuno, Measurehead, Everart ... mostly grotesque, but still great.  

What's pseudo-political about the theme? Because it's framed in a fantasy world?

Yeah it's not really pseudo-political, but rather literally is, and 100% steeped in real world politics as everything in the game is described in all but the words we use for it in the real world. It discusses Communism, Neo-Liberalism, Fascism... You name it, it's probably in there.

6 hours ago, imp said:

What's pseudo-political about the theme? Because it's framed in a fantasy world?

Yeah, that's what I mean - the politics relate to events that happen in the fantasy world rather than the real world. 

54 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Yeah, that's what I mean - the politics relate to events that happen in the fantasy world rather than the real world. 

The politics relating to events that happen in the fantasy world are a direct metaphor for things in the real world.

On 26/01/2022 at 19:27, Moz said:

I think I've exhausted everything I can except a quest where I need to talk to the smoking lady on the balcony (I had to look that up). Sometimes she's there, sometimes she's not, but she never answers the door. I've tried with and without Kim, at every hour of the day, reloading etc, nothing works. Door is always closed and nothing happens when I knock or jiggle the handle. I've never been in her apartment and don't remember ever talking to her. Game broken?

Alice is supposed to be finding out some information about some armour for me "in a day", it's been 3 or 4 days and all she says is "still no word". 

I fixed it. Had to talk to the Sunday Friend but didn’t have a quest for it so I didn’t know I had to go to that door after a certain time. The game spewed loads of dialogue and info I think I should have known hours ago but at least it’s going again. Also added a couple of quests I can’t do because I picked the items up many hours ago and ended up pawning them. Oh well, weird. 

Anyway everything went weird with some checks I could never pass in a million years and now 

Spoiler

Kim is the hospital and Cuno is my partner?

I don’t really care anymore and I’m kind of wandering around waiting for it to end. It feels like it should have ended a while ago.

On 28/01/2022 at 00:11, Moz said:

Anyway everything went weird with some checks I could never pass in a million years and now 

Hide contents

Kim is the hospital and Cuno is my partner?

Whaaaaaa??? I need to replay this asap!

It was quite funny. 

Spoiler

You can't get a photo of the phasmid cos Cuno is too poor to afford a camera.

At the end, when your old squad turn up, he calls everyone f*****s. Then you enrol him in a junior police academy. :D

I think I threaded the needle on the Cuno stuff because it doesn't sound like many players did that.

Kim is barely mentioned again except that he's in the hospital. Which is a bit of a bummer because he was the heart and soul of that game and simply disappeared two hours before the end.

I liked the last hour, but there was a section before that which really dragged. Running backwards and forwards many times between Titus and Klaasje between about four loading screens.

I suppose the problem was that there was never any feeling of escalation in the mid to late game, probably owing to how non linear it is. So it escalates to a point around the end of the first third and then feels quite flat for the majority of the game. It's probably complete blasphemy but I would have enjoyed some sort of combat (turn based, card game, you name it). I could have done with more areas to explore too. It felt like it was at the end for about six hours.

Still, it's quite an achievement in writing and VO, and a game everyone should play.

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/01/2022 at 14:50, Mr. Gerbik said:

Whaaaaaa??? I need to replay this asap!

Yeah I've not been in this thread a few weeks and wow I did not expect that to ever be a potential ending. Ever.

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to playing this game. Put in about a hour or so and not really getting the ‘game’, wondering if it’s a lost cause to continue really.

I just go from thing to thing, person to person, going through the dialogue options. Sometimes a card will come up (you know like empathy or something) but am not sure if that’s because I have gained that skill or if everyone has it? 

then there is the dice thing, even if I ‘win’ I’m not quite sure what I’m winning. Another choice? Is that good? Then I get 5 xp for hitting option 3 of a dialogue tree. What is xp doing for me?

That’s the gist of it really, I don’t see any sense of progression or how my choices are having an effect. So it just feels like I’m going from thing to thing, clicking through a list of choices. Rinse. Repeat.

last ‘thing’ was the lady on the boat. After about 10mins of chatting she essentially told me to go to the next thing (someone in a traffic jam). Still not found the body that I’m supposed to put down yet either.

feel like I am playing the game wrong? Or is this just what it is? 

• 1 month later...
On 17/01/2022 at 13:37, Doctor Shark said:

This one wasn't even a check, I just inspected the car gears and it killed me, or at least made my character so depressed they just gave up :lol:

Yeah, I've just started ths. I died at the car; on the radio, getting ripped into by my colleagues. I started out with only one single morale point; so *any* hit on morale immediately puts you into the critical state and you have no real clue as to how to reinstate it, that early on.

On 27/01/2022 at 14:52, Benny said:

Yeah it's not really pseudo-political, but rather literally is, and 100% steeped in real world politics as everything in the game is described in all but the words we use for it in the real world. It discusses Communism, Neo-Liberalism, Fascism... You name it, it's probably in there.

On 27/01/2022 at 22:25, Benny said:

The politics relating to events that happen in the fantasy world are a direct metaphor for things in the real world.

Yeah - I read a completely on-the-nose Putin sketch last night. It's totally a real-world political treatise/satire.

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/02/2022 at 09:12, Stoppy2000 said:

Worth pointing out that the latest patch has basically fixed the loading times on the Switch version. Still a bit juddery in parts but my main issue is now sorted! 

Did you play it through to completion on Switch? I'm tempted to pick this up again while it's still on sale. When you say 'juddery', are you referring to the frame rate or something different?

5 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Did you play it through to completion on Switch? I'm tempted to pick this up again while it's still on sale. When you say 'juddery', are you referring to the frame rate or something different?

Yeah finished it on Switch. Basically it's fine in most places but any time there are moving lighting effects or a lot going on then the frame rate goes down. It's not unplayable and to be fair playing handheld on the switch is probably the only way I would've found the time to finish this.