Disco Elysium

SM47

Currently on day 3 and there's some subtle story telling/world building going on...

Spoiler

It's already quite disorienting to discover this is an alternate Earth, but wait... Pale? The hell is that? And then they drop...

Spoiler

A FLAT EARTH!?

I like how there's no foothold whatsoever, no 'overview' of how the world works, you piece it together slowly and then you are forced to believe or not on your own accord. Marvellous.

• 2 weeks later...

Just completed it and goddamn. That was one hell of a game.

Major spoiler:

Spoiler

Actually shooting at someone during the tribunal was... fuck. Just fuck. This has probably been the one and only time in a game that I've pulled the trigger and had a surge of emotions overwhelm me from all sides. Bloody hell. I actually welled up.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.ign.com/articles/disco-elysium-the-final-cut-refused-classification-in-australia?

The Australian Classification Review Board has reversed the ban on Disco Elysium: The Final Cut, after developer ZA/UM formally challenged the decision.It seems the tipping point for the game's ban stemmed from Dico Elysium's depiction of drug use, and the temporary benefits it offers you character. However, as reported by Kotaku Australia, the Review Board (which is separate to the Classification Board that originally refused to classify the game) has specifically made clear that Disco Elysium's depiction of drug use is shown in an ultimately negative light, such that it can now receive an R 18+ classification.

"In the Review Board’s opinion," reads the Review Board's report, "while drug use linked to incentives and rewards cannot be accommodated at R 18+, this game does provide disincentives related to drug-taking behaviour, to the point where regular drug use leads to negative consequences for the player’s progression in the game. It was, specifically, the disincentives for drug use that influenced the Review Board in making their decision. Drug use is not explicitly depicted within the game."

I still suspect someone got a bee in their bonnet about perceived left wing politics in the game. But it's now able to be sold within Australia.

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/04/2021 at 17:11, Alan Stock said:

Unfortunately despite all the optimisation they've done for lower end PC's, the loading times on my laptop are still 3-5 minutes long. The performance once you are in-game is definitely improved, but those loading times are killer in a game where you need to go back and forth between buildings a lot. One to return to once I get a better PC. I wish I had refunded it earlier because I could have just picked up the console version!

Wow. For reference, loading times are a few seconds on my M1 MacBook Air. I assume that's the same (or less) for higher end PCs.

---

I've been playing through this game slowly over the past few weeks, an hour or two here and there. Really enjoying it for the most part, aside from the slightly annoying times you get to a red checkpoint and you're 78-85% to succeed, then you fail, and you'd have to go through about 20 minutes of game to get back to that point so fuck it - I do not have the inclination for that. I'd rather save it for other runs with totally different builds.

I’ve failed 95% checks and passed ones in the teens. I think it’s genuine dice rolls, so I just accept it’s happened.

This game is one of my favourites.

25 minutes ago, Poet said:

Wow. For reference, loading times are a few seconds on my M1 MacBook Air. I assume that's the same (or less) for higher end PCs.

---

I've been playing through this game slowly over the past few weeks, an hour or two here and there. Really enjoying it for the most part, aside from the slightly annoying times you get to a red checkpoint and you're 78-85% to succeed, then you fail, and you'd have to go through about 20 minutes of game to get back to that point so fuck it - I do not have the inclination for that. I'd rather save it for other runs with totally different builds.

Are you playing the steam or the apple store version? I last played through on PC, but don't have access at the minute, so was thinking about playing the director's cut on my M1 Air, but don't want to buy it again!

52 minutes ago, DC said:

I’ve failed 95% checks and passed ones in the teens. I think it’s genuine dice rolls, so I just accept it’s happened.

This game is one of my favourites.

Yeah I've very much accepted my fate with this game - just a bit of a bummer that there's been two really probable wins I've had in what were clearly big set pieces in the game and have failed them. Next time!

22 minutes ago, imp said:

Are you playing the steam or the apple store version? I last played through on PC, but don't have access at the minute, so was thinking about playing the director's cut on my M1 Air, but don't want to buy it again!

I picked it up on gog.com.

It's a perfectly lovely experience on an M1, that's for sure - on the original screen or on a secondary monitor/TV.

I love the game but I think the dice roll checks they put in aren't great. Sometimes the game is good at rewarding failure as well as success but a lot of the time it's not and a failed roll just locks you out of content. I save scummed quite a bit and would recommend that to anyone. 

I love that in x-com they have to artificially lower the % chances, as people just won’t accept failure as readily when given the actual odds. I suppose they could have done that with Disco Elysium too, but idk, I like how failing every possible check recalls my actual tabletop experience. 

1 hour ago, imp said:

I love that in x-com they have to artificially lower the % chances, as people just won’t accept failure as readily when given the actual odds. I suppose they could have done that with Disco Elysium too, but idk, I like how failing every possible check recalls my actual tabletop experience. 

Same here. It's the kind of game you'd want to replay just to get different things happening or play it in a different role. Save scumming in DE feels a bit like missing the point completely.

I think failing rolls in a story based RPG misses the point of what rolls are about a lot of the time. I'm thinking specifically of the church in DE (which is an amazing part of the game) where if you fail some rolls you miss out on all of it and get nothing back. There's nothing interesting about that, you just miss out on a bunch of content and have to replay the game and hope you pass the rolls next time. 

6 hours ago, Zael said:

I think failing rolls in a story based RPG misses the point of what rolls are about a lot of the time. I'm thinking specifically of the church in DE (which is an amazing part of the game) where if you fail some rolls you miss out on all of it and get nothing back. There's nothing interesting about that, you just miss out on a bunch of content and have to replay the game and hope you pass the rolls next time. 

I think that and the sheer volume of different dialogue I understand is in this means it has more replay value that anything else in the genre.

On 15/05/2021 at 00:37, Doctor Shark said:

Argh why can't I get into this game? I've tried so many times!

@Doctor Shark Can I ask why you can’t get into it, and how long you normally stick with it?

I’m tempted by the sale, and the hype, but worry that I’ll also bounce off it.

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

@Doctor Shark Can I ask why you can’t get into it, and how long you normally stick with it?

I’m tempted by the sale, and the hype, but worry that I’ll also bounce off it.

Ive tried four or five times now, including once since the recent update. I just don’t find it particularly engaging or compelling and it doesn’t hold my interest for long past the first 45 mins to an hour before I find myself wanting to go do something else. 

2 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Ive tried four or five times now, including once since the recent update. I just don’t find it particularly engaging or compelling and it doesn’t hold my interest for long past the first 45 mins to an hour before I find myself wanting to go do something else. 

Niothing wwrong with 45 min stints though? it gets much more interesting as it progresses

• 1 month later...
On 03/04/2021 at 20:56, p1nseeker said:

Controls are bloody awful on PS5. Is there a patch on the way to address them? 

On 03/04/2021 at 21:46, Monkeyspill said:

I really want to play this properly but I’m now holding off for a patch.

On 06/04/2021 at 15:22, Eighthours said:

I'm only an hour or so into this and aside from the soon-to-be-patched controls it's wonderful

Where the controls actually patched then?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Nosejam said:

Decided to get this for PS5 as still on sale.

There are 2 separate downloads (PS4/PS5) is this right? Presumably the PS5 one is just the 4k assets etc?

Finished downloading and all looks fine, just the one install

• 2 weeks later...