IGNORED

The Apprentice 2022

gospvg

On 08/11/2019 at 20:45, glb said:

She’s an utter moron. Flabbergasting how one so young and naive can have such unwavering self-confidence.

I want her to get to interviews, just to see what her business plan is. Based on previous episode, I think it might be a theme park where rich people can hunt poor people and foreigns.

She HAS to get to interviews just so they can destroy her.

On 09/11/2019 at 17:24, Timmo said:

At first I wanted Lottie gone ASAP but now I can't imagine the show without her, she's incredible. Like bottled evil.

Lottie is the only reason I watch this otherwise largely uninteresting show.  I have been watching it for years, but think I am pretty much over it now.

So much deadwood this series. I'm barely wringing entertainment out of it but, yes, Lottie and Thomas should make it to the interviews. Apart from Ryan Mark I can't name any of the others.

Either they need to cancel the show or shake it up completely. I'd like to see them pluck 14 candidates from zero hours or minimum wage jobs and give the winner £250,000 investment.

There’s two major issues as I see them. Firstly it’s clear that there’s very little scope for original thought on the tasks now. The papers they tend to rustle about in the initial ideas kick off they have perched on bean bags in the bowels of the V&A or whatever clearly have a shopping list of options for them to pick from. How else did they land on LGBTQ holidays for instance? It seems so unlikely they’d come up with that independently. It also seemed unfair to criticise the lack of locations used in the backpacking video – err, you scouted that for us and we had 90 minutes to shoot and edit a campaign that would take months in real life.

Secondly, and possibly leading on from that is that like most reality TV they have so little trust in normal people creating genuine moments of interest that they cast certifiable imbeciles and borderline sociopaths. 

I saw an episode of Coach Trip the other day that was more like Geordie Shore than the quiet little show about OAPs water skiing with some lads on their uni summer holidays and getting on like a house on fire. It’s just depressing television now.

Saying all of that if Ryan-Mark doesn’t win I’m going to hit the roof.

Like all long running reality TV shows it's become a self-parody of itself, magnifying the fuck-ups and setting them up to fail. Every week is now just a case of who fucks up the least but they're manifestly not given a fair shot to succeed. 

Every week now there are complaints that the two halves of a campaign are disjointed but of course they are. They're designing them completely separately but concurrently and I daresay there are rules in place where they can't phone each other much during the process. You can brief all you like at the beginning but obviously concepts will drift apart when sections are being worked on independently without cohesion. 

Then there are the stupid critiques like 'how did I know that was Finland?' when the producers are responsible for choosing the filming locations or setting them up to do ridiculous things like design a rollercoaster in two days. They may as well just ask them to invent an innovative renewable energy plant while they're at it.

When there's no competence on display, partly due to the casting, partly due to the editing that's clearly tilted towards sneering at the contestants, and partly due to the unfair tasks, there's nothing to hang onto. Fuck-ups and arguments have more impact as an occasional element against a backdrop of competence, they should not be the entire show or they just become white noise. That's why the early seasons worked. It's hard to build a satisfying winning narrative when you make everyone out to be shit every week.

That's always been apprentice though, apart from the shift to investments rather than job, it's one of the few shows that have suck closely to it's early format in terms of tasks.

I do agree the are slightly afraid to make it obvious when one team has one or not, obviously, you want the jeopardy but having the odd episode were one team do really well and the others don't would be nice.

My memory is that the early seasons didn't focus so much on making everyone look like idiots but I could be misremembering. Sure, you remember the funny bits the most but I do feel like there was more focus on the fact there were actually some good people in the process and successes felt more frequent when they do now.

Even when they portray a seeming success story like the bike taking over a million pounds in orders, they still made the product look shit and the team look like idiots before then so that massive result felt completely unearned.

13 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Secondly, and possibly leading on from that is that like most reality TV they have so little trust in normal people creating genuine moments of interest that they cast certifiable imbeciles and borderline sociopaths. 

Well yeah, it was never going to be a reliable way of working out who the best business partner would be. Every time someone gets slated for not doing enough in a team that has too many people for its given function (e.g. do you really need 3 people and the actual editor to edit a video?), or even making a mistake when there is consensus (this would be seen as a lessons learned part in business), it reminds me of "this is entertainment, not business"

You do feel a bit sorry for them sometimes.  They get given about 5 hours on a pre-determined location to shoot an advert, with it looks like fairly basic camera equipment. 

Then it is all complaints about how you don't see the Country in the advert and how what they have filmed could be anywhere.  Sure, focusing on a sauna might not be the best idea but considering the second best idea was focusing on trees then it does seem like they had limited options. You've never going to get a lovely advert, with sweeping panoramic shots when you have a few hours in a pre-set location and where the producers of the advert are also having to act in the advert. 

So I have some sympathy.  But equally, they do then still cock it up by focusing on a single event, which happens one weekend a year instead of a more general LGBT advert which makes a play for the entire summer season.