IGNORED

"I'm buying it to support the developers." Why?

dumpster

17 hours ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Well, you see, by putting forward this proposition that there are games you don't need, you implicitly accept that there are games you do need. I think it is the slightly uncomfortable implications of this that make people reach for these weaselly words for spending money on a hobby. We NEED food and shelter. Can we need games in the same way? It's not specific to games, it'd be the same if you are totally into Airfix or model trains whatever. Don't tell me there isn't a little bit of dissonance in there.

People need to unwind.

16 hours ago, Orbital2060 said:

Dude can you at least quote my post if you are going to snipe at me from another thread. I know youre just shitposting but at least try and keep a minimum standard of reference.

Wait, what the actual fuck?

Did you read what I wrote? this was not a swipe at you! I was simply using what you had done as an example! I could have made it entirely hypothetical but it was there to make a point about Game Pass and how I think they're devaluing games to get people involved in their mtx economies. 

Seen as I've prior worked on a multi-player game from Microsoft Game Studios, i'm not entirely coming from an unknown angle. 

15 hours ago, Orbital2060 said:

There are also people still paying 50 pounds for a disc in a box.

Please expand on this, I am not sure exactly what point you are making.

Though I note if you buy physical it may be with an eye to reselling, which could be the exact opposite of supporting the devs (in some people's eyes, you are 'stealing' a sale from them).

I guess the need to justify yourself comes from the perception that there are people out there who have entire rooms lined with row after row of Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts merchandise, with every copy of every game in every regional variation sealed into those nitrogen cases, graded by an independent authority as being objectively mint / near-mint, and whole shelves filled with action figures gazing through the packaging at their owner with their cold dead eyes, on the rare occasions when he opens the door and reduces the value of his collection by a few pence just by allowing light into the room.

I think it's understandable to be keen to let people know you're not one of those.

I do understand the notion of buying something because you want to support further titles in the series on genre. 

Whilst it is unlikely I will buy something I never think I'll want to play, what i will try and do is to buy a game at launch at full price if I want to support the game and developers. I've got stacks of games to play so most of the time I'm happy to wait until I can get the game at a discount or in a sale but for the games I want to support I will try and buy early on and at the regular price. 

Guilty. I bought three copies of R-Type Final in the end. The Japanese copy is out of it's shrink-wrap though....i'm a terrible collector. Most of the shmup world seems to enjoy hating on R-Type Final but I'm just glad i'm getting a new R-Type in 2020. 

Willing to look at options to pay a bit more for the stuff i actually really like but (in the current climate) doesn't sell that well. Suda51,  Kono (Project Aces/Ace Combat) and Kujo (Irem/Granzella) pushing out AAA rivalling games with very small teams and very low budgets are the ones i try to support. I don't buy action figures or other fluff but i'll bite on a special edition and pay a tenner more if i can. 

I remember that, when it launched, Titanfall 2 underperformed. Now, I know EA don’t need (or probably even deserve), the money but I bought the shit out of all the DLC on the basis that the more cash the game bought in, the more likely it was we’d see a sequel. I might have used one of the pilot skins (I definitely used the Titan model reskins, which were whole new looks and a new execution) but it wasn’t a purchase bought out of a deep desire to own any of them.

The more I've seen teams suffer the consequences of buyouts the more I've grown to have equal time for people supporting big studios as they do indies, because so often unique, dedicated teams exist under and at the whim of an umbrella corporation. In my eyes there's nothing wrong with supporting the games of Psygnosis/Sony Liverpool because they're making less mainstream racing games that you'd still love to have around, even if perhaps you don't fancy that year's installment right away.