IGNORED

Analogue Pocket - FPGA GB/GBC/GBA + More

Alexlotl

One quick glance at the docs later, I think the main points are:

• You only get access to the larger FPGA (so about 50% of the gates that are available in "another popular FPGA emulation device")
  • It doesn't look like there are any restrictions/central store to go through - you can sideload new cores, so I guess creating a core that accesses a universal cartridge with an SD card in it would be possible.

The criticism of "another popular FPGA emulation device" in that interview is a bit much. In terms of sideloading new games to it, is "clicking on something in the menu" really that much harder than "patch it so it pretends to be a GB Studio game?" :lol:

I was holding back a bit on criticising Taber for some of the anti-MiSTer sentiment in the article but some of his claims are a bit out there. I suspect he's not at all happy about competition from a non-commercial project, even if he's happy to encourage core developers to port their work to his platform for free.

Hmm!

Edit: apparently the PDP-1 core running Spacewar is ported from MiSTer, which Analogue are not mentioning in their marketing. The anonymous account that ported the core is also less than a month old. (Given the names on the accounts it's likely they're all done by the same person, who is probably Kevtris.) There's even an open PR on the repo asking whoever ported it to credit the MiSTer developer properly.

Looks like the Pocket will be benefitting from MiSTer one way or the other.

It's dismissive to simply label them as "sad fucks". No doubt there are a few salty people who voted against porting the cores because of silly, selfish reasons but I can understand why people wouldn't want Jotego's work benefitting Analogue, whose CEO has just spent the last day roundly trashing (and lying about) the platform Jotego usually develops for.

Taber is 100% the worst thing about his own company and he was lucky to find his golden goose in Kevtris. Now he wants that to happen many times over, without paying developers? I can understand why people don't want to support that.

He'll still sell his Pockets either way but it's very telling that Taber wants to pursue a more MiSTer-like system in future. He'll have dozens of Kevtrises working for him for free, while he retains full control of the hardware and can slickly market his platform to people who are unnecessarily intimidated by his competitor.

5 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

He reckons it would be pretty straight forward, but some of his Patreons are sad fucks and complaining about the prospect, apparently.

I'm a patreon, and I voted yes. (Mostly for the prospect of CPS2 hardware on a portable, yes).

I tried the Neo•Geo core.  It’s not quite ready yet really, a known thing going by their calling it an Alpha.

Games are a faff to run as each part must be set up to run individually, and audio is broken in most games too.

On 30/07/2022 at 17:19, auntyclimax said:

How long to warranty's last with Analog? My SD card refuses to remain in the slot. Well, it does roughly once in a thousand attempts - in this round I'm still trying.

After supplying a video of the issue, they've accepted a return to their repair centre. I wonder how long this will take, at least the SNES core should be out when I get it back I guess.!

Curious about how the SNES core will be handled after reading this:

Analogue's core for the alternative Super Nt firmware doesn't support enhancement chips, which is why I stuck with the original firmware and an SD2SNES. Maybe there'll be a vanilla core, a DSP-1 core, a Super-FX core, etc.

On 01/08/2022 at 19:01, DeciderVT said:

Not seen a single person playing Money Puzzle Exchanger on it yet, it's all bloody level 1 of Metal Slug. :lol:

Had no idea this was popular/has a scene was a good game until I went to Heart of Gaming and it was one of the most popular machines that day lol

54 minutes ago, shynra said:

Had no idea this was popular/has a scene was a good game until I went to Heart of Gaming and it was one of the most popular machines that day lol

HoG is where my friends and I first found it! Not surprised to hear it was popular- a couple of us were absolutely obsessed with it after randomly trying it, we couldn't stop playing until we had to leave. Finding out it had an eShop release afterwards was a stroke of luck.

• 1 month later...

Played some more SNES stuff this lazy Sunday morning.

It works pretty well!  Have changed aspect ratio from 8:7 to 4:3 in the display.json file - the image now fills less of the display but is more accurate - also, having no CRT/scanlines filter is alright on the handheld display for now, though I do miss this when playing docked.  Key for me, audio seems to be spot on. (EDIT: turns out audio channels are flipped - left is right and vice versa - I think it’s a known issue that'll be fixed soon.  Audio quality is otherwise great.)

IMG_2692.JPG

22 hours ago, Triple A said:

Played some more SNES stuff this lazy Sunday morning.

It works pretty well!  Have changed aspect ratio from 8:7 to 4:3 in the display.json file - the image now fills less of the display but is more accurate - also, having no CRT/scanlines filter is alright on the handheld display for now, though I do miss this when playing docked.  Key for me, audio seems to be spot on. (EDIT: turns out audio channels are flipped - left is right and vice versa - I think it’s a known issue that'll be fixed soon.  Audio quality is otherwise great.)

IMG_2692.JPG

This is fucking fantastic, Chrono Trigger looks glorious :wub: