Analogue Pocket - FPGA GB/GBC/GBA + More

Is there any word on how user-serviceable the battery is, and whether it’ll run without the battery installed? It would be ironic if the console for handheld game preservation became a brick in 5-10 years like a many other li-ion powered gizmos so I assume it’s going to be something they thought of.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

Is there any word on how user-serviceable the battery is, and whether it’ll run without the battery installed? It would be ironic if the console for handheld game preservation became a brick in 5-10 years like a many other li-ion powered gizmos so I assume it’s going to be something they thought of.

No, there's nothing up about it. There's been zero review units sent out and no actual hardware shown off beyond what they've put on Twitter.

I don't think it actually exists beyond prototypes yet anyway. Analogue ran a similar pre-order programme to fund development of the original Nt.

I'm in the same boat when it comes to the battery. I'd dearly love to use my Eneloops, even if it added extra thickness to the unit.

4 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I doubt that it would become a brick in 5 years.

I dont plan on using mine outside of the dock in any case,

7 minutes ago, ulala said:

I doubt that it would become a brick in 5 years.

I dont plan on using mine outside of the dock in any case,

It’s probably a bit of pessimistic range but the shelf life of an unused li-ion battery under ordinary conditions is on the order of 10 years, and much less if the battery is fully charged. It doesn’t really matter whether it’s docked or you’re actually using it (leaving it on the dock and at 100% charge might actually be worse). They’re damp little electrochemical bags and they eventually expire on their own.

Ideally the battery will be accessible under the screws in the back, it’ll be in some common commodity size, and the console will work on the mains without it. (Some devices don’t, annoyingly.)

1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

Then why get one?

to play my GameBoy, GameBoy colour, GameBoy advance, game gear , lynx and Neo geo pocket colour games on my 4K tv via an amazing fpga console and hdmi 

seems reasonable?

The whole timeframe of the Pocket made it something I ended up not bothering with.

However as someone who has a SNES/MD + Everdrives and a framemeister I am once again sorely tempted by the jailbroken Mega Sg and the Super Nt, I really expected the Super Nt to have restocked but it seems like that's not going to be a priority for them in the future.

I'm more interested in the Pocket as a portable SNES/NES/Mega Drive/Master System than for actual GB/GBC/GBA stuff, so I'll see how the platform develops then perhaps jump in on a second wave.

4 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

I'm more interested in the Pocket as a portable SNES/NES/Mega Drive/Master System than for actual GB/GBC/GBA stuff, so I'll see how the platform develops then perhaps jump in on a second wave.

That is a really interesting feature, we could have a portable player with Atari, AMIGA, SNES, MD, PC Engine and Neo Geo with the spare FPGA chip on board.

5 hours ago, merrychan said:

However as someone who has a SNES/MD + Everdrives and a framemeister I am once again sorely tempted by the jailbroken Mega Sg and the Super Nt, I really expected the Super Nt to have restocked but it seems like that's not going to be a priority for them in the future.

Super NT will be restocked, just sign up to be reminded. 

If you havent got a Mega SG already, now is the time.

7 hours ago, merrychan said:

The whole timeframe of the Pocket made it something I ended up not bothering with.

Same here. I was all over getting one, set an alarm for what turned out to just be the preorder announcement and then May 2021. 

nah, no thanks, I’ll pass and maybe think about looking again next summer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Below I've linked an article I've just read about the recent Analogue pre-order farce. Sums up how I feel about them now. I've got three Analogue machines (original NT Mini, Super NT & Mega SG) as well as the MiSTer so I have a foot in both camps. I was never in the running for the Pocket due to my poor eyesight but a mate of mine was bitterly disappointed he wasn't able to place an order for the Pocket. I guess the reason they're not in my good books is to do with their almost non-existent customer support. Owning the original NT Mini & learning that the new features that the new "Final Run" will  have (which were only revealed AFTER preorders for the final run were closed) will not be available to those of us who own the original machine has left a very sour taste with me.

It seems like the media  are finally starting to call Analogue out on the business practices and are no longer the "holier than thou" company that they were seen as a year ago.

https://www.inputmag.com/gaming/is-analogue-evil

I'm not sure that's anything but a list of angry gripes written in hyperbolic language. He's blaming Analog for a guy on eBay who sold him a broken Game Gear adaptor, claimed a replacement Game Gear adaptor under warranty, and then sold that on eBay to someone else. Analog's "core business concept" is competing with MiSTer? Who honestly believes that? Does he even believe that? He thinks they have an entire "marketing department" driving... what, some fuck-ups on processing?

The article seems to be coming from this weird capitalist place where he thinks every business in gaming is a Sony or a Microsoft churning out millions of units of crap with the goal of driving someone else out of business, and Analog are simultaneously not good enough at offering that experience and evil for doing so. But I think that entire perspective is wildly misleading him.

It all seems far more like the typical output of a boutique producer.

10 hours ago, shiffy said:

Below I've linked an article I've just read about the recent Analogue pre-order farce. Sums up how I feel about them now. I've got three Analogue machines (original NT Mini, Super NT & Mega SG) as well as the MiSTer so I have a foot in both camps. I was never in the running for the Pocket due to my poor eyesight but a mate of mine was bitterly disappointed he wasn't able to place an order for the Pocket. I guess the reason they're not in my good books is to do with their almost non-existent customer support. Owning the original NT Mini & learning that the new features that the new "Final Run" will  have (which were only revealed AFTER preorders for the final run were closed) will not be available to those of us who own the original machine has left a very sour taste with me.

It seems like the media  are finally starting to call Analogue out on the business practices and are no longer the "holier than thou" company that they were seen as a year ago.

Well, where does one begin? 

The pre-order wasn't a "farce", that's what you get when you have a popular product that has been marketed well. Yes, they sold out in 5 minutes - but that's what happens these days for things that are quality and exclusive. You want to buy "Coldplay" tickets? better get on Ticketmaster and hit that refresh button within 30 seconds and get lucky! Want to buy a top Ferrari? They invite YOU to purchase.

Do you seriously think that Analogue's business model is to make far fewer machines than the demand, so they can leave all that money on the table? They will have purchased a space in their production factory for a certain number of units - and that's all they get. 

As you have three Analogue consoles then you know how exceptional they are. They are simply the perfect way to play original carts on HDMI flatscreen tvs. 

The portable aspect of the Pocket doesn't interest me neither, but add a dock and you have what seems like a lovely device to play your gameboy, gameboy colour, gameboy advance and in future lynx, neo geo pocket and gamegear games.

The price of them is astonishing too. The original Super NT sold for £110. Even the Pocket with two FPGAs and a reference quality screen sells for £150. Half the price of the kickstarter ZX Spectrum Next (which after all is said and done, seems a great product too).

And you are bitter because the latest version of the Analogue NT will have better specs than the one you purchased years ago? Really? You genuinely seem upset that it has more features than advertised. Think about that. Perhaps you should start a campaign to have them taken away?

"The media" haven't started to cal out Analogue.  That piece in "input" magazine reads atrociously, I am really surprised that it was published - and that you actually are quoting it in a public forum. It reads like a bitter angry idiot, just wanting to lash out. To even suggest that Analogue are responsible for ebay purchases. It's ludicrous.

As is the allegation that they are competing with MiSTer - they clearly are not. The article describes installing software on that device akin to "downloading an app", which quite-frankly is nonsense. The MiSTer is a great product but its not for the mainstream user. Aside from both being FPGA based, they are aimed at different ends of the market. 

You want to play "roms" and like tinkering, the MiSTer is for you. If you have an original cart collection and like the feeling of getting a box from the shelf- reading the manual and playing YOUR cart on a flat screen tv then the Analogue consoles are perfect for that. I'm in the latter camp.

They have become my most used retro consoles, the originals are just for display now - the Analogue consoles are genuinely that good.

We also have to remember that Analogue isn't Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft. They are a small team that have managed to produce exceptional quality products actually at a decent price. When they had a problem with gamegear adapters, they resolved it by sending out all customers a free replacement. Yes, their shipping costs are expensive, but it tracks, gets delivered within 48 hours with no customs problems/ delays. They are not kickstarted so, if you don't get your product, you get your money back!

I'd pay an extra £15 so its not stuck in Yodel or Royal Mail customs offices for days (or weeks) and have to personally visit and pay up!

We also have to factor in VAT here, but that's nothing to do with Analogue. We have to make our own decision if we want to pay 20% here in the UK, or not have it. We do it on MOST purchases that come into the country this way from outside Europe.

We should feel lucky, yes lucky, that people who make the MiSTer, the Super NT and (even though ive given them some stick on here) the ZX Spectrum Next team produce these products for us.

They are small quantity, they are niche, they are hobbyist items that are not mass produced.

It’s a shame that a lot of the criticism is so damn ranty. I have no interest in Analogue’s stuff beyond a SuperNT, which I own and seriously love. 

I think they would do well do invest in being able to produce more of their existing back catalogue instead of fronting their next big thing via preorders. They can still provide low production run niche items that way.

Their pretentious marketing just pisses people off and their customer support is patchy. It’s enough to make people pile in. Hell, is pisses me off!!

11 hours ago, shiffy said:

Aside from the clickbait headline and a couple of silly criticisms this article pretty much mirrors how I feel.

Nobody is doubting the excellence of their products.

Other high end boutique operations (such as Dan Kunz's Black Dog Tech) seem to handle basic communication and customer service just fine, and consistently manufacture and sell a slew of legitimately game changing retro video game tech with zero drama or accusations of artificial scarcity. They even managed to put together a European web store to increase worldwide access to one of of their many coveted products (the GC Loader ODE in this case).

The article does have many legitimate points to be fair. A lot of it just comes down to communication it seems. Like the mega drive adapters, announced and then forgotten about for ages with no updates until ‘tada! It’s sold out’.

The fact CS wouldn’t sell him just a game gear adapter or swap out a faulty version is pretty poor customer service too.

Analogue know they make popular products now so why not open two preorders, one for the first run that’s limited and a second so they can actually gauge how many people want their product, get the money up front and then work with the factory to make that many for the next run.

They may not be a Sony or Nintendo but they do have issues which people are vocal about and can be easily

fixed for a smoother customer experience.

40 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

The article does have many legitimate points to be fair. A lot of it just comes down to communication it seems. Like the mega drive adapters, announced and then forgotten about for ages with no updates until ‘tada! It’s sold out’.

The fact CS wouldn’t sell him just a game gear adapter or swap out a faulty version is pretty poor customer service too.

Analogue know they make popular products now so why not open two preorders, one for the first run that’s limited and a second so they can actually gauge how many people want their product, get the money up front and then work with the factory to make that many for the next run.

They may not be a Sony or Nintendo but they do have issues which people are vocal about and can be easily

fixed for a smoother customer experience.

He also didn't mention that after he bought a replacement set of cart adaptors off them, that he probably sold the dupliactes he got from that and more than likely covered his costs, you know, seeing as he wouldn't need 2 of the extra ones, and they fetch a high price.

No fretting from me about the pre order either, I've been around Limited Run Games and similar to know that if you want a preorder of something limited, get there early and keep trying, I lucked out on this one and grabbed one, wasn't greedy though, only got the one, even though there was an allowance for two, in hindsight, should probably have gone for two and could have punted the other one here at cost to help someone out, just didn't think of it at the time, was too busy wondering why I was buying something I wasn't sure I even wanted... FOMO in full effect.

I don't really believe it's beyond them to make enough stock. They make great kit and the demand is clearly there, but everything about the way Analogue presents itself just screams of creating artificial scarcity to drive hype for the brand. 

The idea that we should consider ourselves lucky to hand over money for these things is funny, though. I enjoyed that.

1 hour ago, MikeBeaver said:

No fretting from me about the pre order either, I've been around Limited Run Games and similar to know that if you want a preorder of something limited, get there early and keep trying, I lucked out on this one and grabbed one, wasn't greedy though, only got the one, even though there was an allowance for two, in hindsight, should probably have gone for two and could have punted the other one here at cost to help someone out, just didn't think of it at the time, was too busy wondering why I was buying something I wasn't sure I even wanted... FOMO in full effect.

Comparing with LRG doesn't do them any favours.

4 hours ago, Quest said:

I don't really believe it's beyond them to make enough stock. They make great kit and the demand is clearly there, but everything about the way Analogue presents itself just screams of creating artificial scarcity to drive hype for the brand. 

The idea that we should consider ourselves lucky to hand over money for these things is funny, though. I enjoyed that.

the very idea of artificial scarcity from a small company.

how many pocket pre-orders did they take?

1 hour ago, ulala said:

the very idea of artificial scarcity from a small company.

how many pocket pre-orders did they take?

I do agree with this. I mean I could be wildly off base, but the idea of a small company like Analogue using artificial scarcity to hype their brand for extremely niche products seems a bit too much like shooting themselves in the foot to me.

Again, I could be way out and the pre-order pandemonium over the Pocket could well be some amazing ploy to... not sell as many consoles or make as much money as they could've, I suppose.

Lots of companies big and small do this. Firstly we are discussing it, so are all the big news sites. You may argue it’s shooting themselves in the foot and potentially losing sales but generally not only does it increase brand awareness but also reach and then when you do reveal more people often go over the top or buy other items thinking those will be difficult to get too. It’s a very valid marketing tactic and isn’t exclusive to big companies. Some of the smallest companies do this, like vinyl toys or even small press comics.

I mean look at something like Fyre festival, a brand new thing that people gave thousands too despite being unproven thanks to the limited desirability. Analogue when doing this probably are not doing it as perfectly as people may be assuming they are. They know how many sales they expect to make, what people will

pay but this scarcity has probably gone better than they planned it to.

If there was no artificial scarcity they’d have announced a preorder waiting list, deposit or time frame for a second run, but it’s been radio silence as per usual. It’s not that hard to put out a tweet saying ‘don’t worry if you missed out, more will be coming X month’.

But more always come. It happened with the super nt. with the mega Sg. With the analogue nt, with the cart adapters etc.

So how many precorders of the pocket did they take?  1000, or 10,000 ?

I assume there was enough to cover their production run plus scope for review copies and 2% returns?