IGNORED

Promare (プロメア)

teddymeow

• 8 months later...

Just watched this at Screenanime (https://www.screenanime.com/) - it's still available for about another week, along with Patema Inverted and a couple of other things for about four quid.

I really enjoyed it! Great soundtrack too, just the right amount of cheese. Not exactly going to go down as one of the great sci-fi epics but it's two hours of gorgeous design and fabulous stupidity.

• 1 year later...

Just watched this as the local cinema streaming service had it on tap.

Holy crap, that was so pumped up, awesome, and energetic that I'm still bouncing around the room. Everything Trigger turned up to 11. And a boatload of references to boot. Just the thing I needed to get ready to go back to work tomorrow. :D And then there's how it looks...

giphy.gif

Like a style bullet to the brain this one. 🥰

50 minutes ago, Grobbelboy said:

Yeah this is superb fun, watched the blu-ray three times already. Imaishi’s first feature Dead Leaves is an even wilder and better ride. Strongly recommended if you dug this. 

Oh god, I think I remember that title as one someone recommended me a couple of decades ago...? Never ever watched it, so that's on the list now!

15 hours ago, Grobbelboy said:

Yeah this is superb fun, watched the blu-ray three times already. Imaishi’s first feature Dead Leaves is an even wilder and better ride. Strongly recommended if you dug this. 

Was really hard to get hold of - I eventually found it on YouTube, after being after it for years.

On 03/01/2022 at 10:55, smac said:

Was really hard to get hold of - I eventually found it on YouTube, after being after it for years.

Really liked the style of the Promare trailer, but not a big fan of most anime - however the Dead Leaves reference sparked a dim and distant memory of being peripherally aware of that at some point. Tracked it down in four parts on YouTube and it was great fun! But spoiled a bit by the crappy quality. So, just bought a DVD of it off eBay, to revisit (when I’m not half cut lol).

XNd.gif

Loved Promare, even though it could be a bit too much over the top in exaggerated animation and colours if I'm honest.

Bit of a recently converted Studio TRIGGER fan here btw, ever since watching BNA.

And since I can't find a thread on it, I think I'll just ask it here: Is Kill la Kill worth also watching?

6 hours ago, Steve McQueef said:

If you don't think TRIGGER were taking the piss with Kill la Kill, I can't even...

Oh it's definitely taking the piss, but in a way that really has its cake and eats it, so you still have to be able to tolerate the nonsense. I means it's anime, so it can't hurt to watch an episode for 20mins and decide for yourself if the humour is too self indulgent.

Yeah, I just did a re-watch and idly considered whether I would ever recommend it to an animation, rather than anime, fan

'No', was my conclusion. It leans way too heavily into anime tropes.