rllmuk
mdn2

Ring Fit Adventure - Super Cardio Bros

I just did the first world and it was a surprisingly serious 30 min workout. Everything works as expected and it’s a lot more whimsical and less EA than the images might suggest. Lot of explicit cross-pollination with Wii Fit too. My one tip would be to do up the leg strap about twice as tight as you think it’ll need to be.

Oof. Jesus.

• Upvote 2

Oh, one slight hassle: there’s no way to just open the app and, say, check your stats. It expects the Joycons detached and in their accessories or it won’t even go to the menu.

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I just did the first world and it was a surprisingly serious 30 min workout. Everything works as expected and it’s a lot more whimsical and less EA than the images might suggest. Lot of explicit cross-pollination with Wii Fit too. My one tip would be to do up the leg strap about twice as tight as you think it’ll need to be.

Oof. Jesus.

When I first saw this game, i thought it was a pity it wasn’t called Wii Fit Adventures & starred the Wii Fit Trainer, but I suppose that may have caused confusion with people associating it with the previous consoles & the Trainer wouldn’t be a good fit (ha ha) for this anyway, as she/he is supposed to be a Professional at exercises where the character in this is something of a novice.

Just seems a shame that the Trainers stardom in Smash Bros seemingly hasn’t translated to any more being done with the character.

Well, unless they’re a secret boss or unlockable character in this game of course.

• Upvote 3

I like to think that the tutorial character in this is like the Wii Fit Trainer’s lazy cousin or something.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I like to think that the tutorial character in this is like the Wii Fit Trainer’s lazy cousin or something.

(Just before the games opening)

"Ugh!  Every since my cousin landed that 'Wii Fit' gig they just won't shut up about exercise!  I mean, it's not like I'll ever be in situation when knowing about that stuff will save the world or anything right?"

• Upvote 2

How available is this likely to be?  As it includes physical accessories, I would imagine that the stores aren't as flooded with copies as they would be if it was just a game, but if I headed into my local Game store sometime this week could I be reasonably assured that they'd have it, or is likely to sell out?

I don't think shops will be stocking a lot of these, the box it comes in is pretty big. 

I've used mine for about 3 minutes before twisting my ankle. Put some sensible trainers on before using this. 

I hope my postman gets redacted, the lazy prick.

The neighbours are all in and I repeatedly tell Royal Mail of a safe space they can use and yet they never leave the fucking parcel. Collect on Monday. Fuming.<_<

• Empathy 1

21 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Oof. Jesus.

Just had my first session and completed the first world too. I was about fit to drop by then so grateful for the game suggesting it was a good place to stop. I barely made it through the cooldown! Good first impressions, sure the 'gameplay' is a bit thin but a much preferable way for this 55 year old to exercise than going outside. Only downer was that I barely burned off half the calories of the Kit Kat Chunky I had with my lunch, let alone compensating for the beer and wine I plan to enjoy later. 

• Upvote 5

I just made it through the first world too. While not completely knackered I certainly built up a sweat. It felt just right actually, and my legs are already aching. 

In terms of gameplay it's basically just a more interesting looking set of prompts, and so far describing it as an RPG is a bit of a stretch, but that's okay. It's certainly more entertaining than Wii Fit.

Stairs can get stuffed by the way.

• Upvote 2

Having seen my 6 year old play it after me, the age and difficulty settings are basically about number of reps and how far you have to jog. It me 20 big squats to kill one enemy on the third difficulty setting (EDIT: this was on setup... it translated to 19/30 in difficulty after I checked it in the menus later). Took my son only 4 squats on casual!

quick question since I don't have a large bedroom I need to play this in the living room however, we don't have a TV. Is it possible to play this with small switch screen?. I guess not but worth asking

6 minutes ago, yakumo said:

quick question since I don't have a large bedroom I need to play this in the living room however, we don't have a TV. Is it possible to play this with small switch screen?. I guess not but worth asking

Can't see why it wouldn't work in tabletop mode. You might just struggle to make out some of the instructions but it should be feasible. 

8 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Can't see why it wouldn't work in tabletop mode. You might just struggle to make out some of the instructions but it should be feasible. 

Thanks, not sure if it was possible because of the screen being too small?.

I’d say you could follow the actual combat and story dialogue but not the advice videos and warm-ups/downs. I’ll probably try tabletop tomorrow and see.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I’d say you could follow the actual combat and story dialogue but not the advice videos and warm-ups/downs. I’ll probably try tabletop tomorrow and see.

If you could that be awesome:)

• Upvote 1

Loving this

I’ve been running at least 10k each week recently and feel fine afterwards, yet 30 mins on this yesterday and every muscle aches today, it’s a proper good workout, far more intense than I thought it would be.  6 year old daughter is loving it too.

Menus are a bit fiddly though, how do I send gifts to friends, can’t find the option anywhere?

• Upvote 1

I think that comes with the day one  patch so make sure you have that. And I think it only applies to “multitask mode” (hoop-only, console-off) reps.

On 19/10/2019 at 18:20, yakumo said:

If you could that be awesome:)

So it turns out you could play through the battle parts of the game OK but it’s hard to make out what’s going on in the running sections, and much of the dialogue from Ring is hard to make out from the colour scheme of his text boxes. I expect this will be fine when I’m familiar with it and just using it for exercise but I don’t think it really works for the main game.

Today’s discovery was that it tunes your cool down stretches to suit the exercises you focused on most that session, and it’s pretty good at estimating when I am going to need to stop. Oof.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

So it turns out you could play through the battle parts of the game OK but it’s hard to make out what’s going on in the running sections, and much of the dialogue from Ring is hard to make out from the colour scheme of his text boxes. I expect this will be fine when I’m familiar with it and just using it for exercise but I don’t think it really works for the main game.

Today’s discovery was that it tunes your cool down stretches to suit the exercises you focused on most that session, and it’s pretty good at estimating when I am going to need to stop. Oof.

Thanks Alex for the comprehensive reply.  I was thinking too it would be a nightmare to play via the table top mode but its nice to have confirmation. I still like to get it but probably not at this time.

• Upvote 1

Oh, one other thing I thought was worth mentioning - the joycons click crisply and then vibrate as you move the ring (or your leg) to the necessary position, and then past it, which does an amazing job of selling the connection to the game compared to “waggle”. It’s really tactile, even if my right joycon rattles like hell when I’m going all out.

• Upvote 2

Just done World 2 in one session. Worked up a real sweat but glad I pushed on. As you'd expect with Nintendo a few new features were introduced including the first of the mini games. It isn't that intuitive to find World and Friends stats but once there's it tracks a lot. It seems I'm the only one on my friends list to have the game though, and perhaps surprisingly there are 11 people playing worldwide who were born in 1964, including me. 

Also no stairs in this one :omg:

Spoiler

Replaced by swamps :angry:

• Upvote 3

"Multi-tasking" mode on this is lovely, not so much the gamification but the little Tamagotchi doot-do sound it makes as you do reps. It means I kind of do want to put in ten minutes while I'm watching TV.

• Upvote 2

Just had my first go on this, did my 'proper' exercise routine and then thought I'd give it a go. Went through the setup and set it up for intense. Did the first world which took about 15mins and it certainly can give you a workout. It's very pretty looking and certainly makes running in place more intersting that it might otherwise be. There are only a few exercises open at the moment but they do at least give you an idea of what is going to be possible with the two devices, which work very very well.

I can't imagine that this would ever totally replace my normal training schedule but it's certainly something that looks like it will be fun to do as an adjunct.

• Upvote 1

Oh the one thing that I did find slightly irritating is the units of measure. Seemingly I have to select that I am outside the UK before it will give me kg and km as units. Otherwise I'm stuck with stones/pounds and miles (I mean it gives you distances in yards, yards!!!). Why can't I just select metric? I mean maybe it is hidden in a menu somewhere but I couldn't access it in original setup.

Had my first go on this today and loved it. Did about twenty minutes which whizzed by. Best thing is the variety of stuff you can do , whereas I would usually just spend 30 minutes on an exercise bike, bored out my mind.

Looking forward to getting competitive with the wife on the leaderboards.

• Upvote 4

Only just had my first goon this dur8ng half time, just went into the mini games bit and I’m dead after two 20 sec efforts :blink2:

• Upvote 1

Not tried the mini games yet, just working my way through the story and increasing how much a do day by day.

This game is now part of my daily routine.

• Upvote 1

Playing the whack a mole game got me thinking you could do a really fun dance game with this. Or a tambourine game.

Or a Ouendan game.

• Upvote 3