Jump to content
rllmuk
mdn2

Ring Fit Adventure - Super Cardio Bros

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, Gotters said:

I'm an old git not far off 50 who hasn't really been to the gym for 10y - Amazon got some of these back in so ordered the other day

 

Just had my first go and its kicked my arse, only on moderate setting - its so inventive how they get you working different bits of your body with the simple ring setup, the ring feels a quality bit of gear too and not flimsy.

 

I got thru the first 3 bits to the first boss and I'm a sweaty mess - very impressed with it and it feels far more engaging than wii fit ever did - looking on youtube some proper gym bunnies seem impressed too.

 

Can see how the gamification bit could be good as gives you some simple goals and structure, good distraction from actually exercising - and if you want to just do the work it allows for that too.

 

I think it is quite brilliant.  I was given this at Christmas and at the same time got signed up to Vitality insurance and got the Apple Watch and stuff.  In tandem, the gamification as you say really got me to be that bit more active without feeling like a chore.  Ring Fit has been great for after putting the kid to bed and finish off the day completing the Activity Rings/ pick up the Activity Points etc.  Been playing this more than anything else in the last couple of weeks and it's great in keeping the routine varied as well.  

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Timbuktu said:

 

I think it is quite brilliant.  I was given this at Christmas and at the same time got signed up to Vitality insurance and got the Apple Watch and stuff.  In tandem, the gamification as you say really got me to be that bit more active without feeling like a chore.  Ring Fit has been great for after putting the kid to bed and finish off the day completing the Activity Rings/ pick up the Activity Points etc.  Been playing this more than anything else in the last couple of weeks and it's great in keeping the routine varied as well.  

Is it possible to target say upper body more than anything else on this?

 

I already have a turbo trainer in the garage and go cycling, so need something with more upstairs focus.  Was looking at fitness boxing for this and its pretty good tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 2 and despite a few mild aches from yesterday I was interested enough to give it another go - the fascination of opening up levels, opening up new exercises & levelling up is quite strong. Something you just don't get when looking at an exercise bike, which you know exactly what you'll get. 

 

Broke a good sweat and heart rate again so not doing me any harm at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dr Nookie said:

Is it possible to target say upper body more than anything else on this?

 

I already have a turbo trainer in the garage and go cycling, so need something with more upstairs focus.  Was looking at fitness boxing for this and its pretty good tbh.

 

You are always free to choose what kind of skill you use most of the time.  There are levels that favours a particular set of skills, such as arms or legs and encourages you to use those, but you can always do more arms if you want.  I guess one limitation with the Ring controller is that it can't really replace lifting heavy weights.  There is only so much resistance it can provide and it's more a case of doing a large number of reps to work up a sweat.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think (but haven't found yet) that rather than play the main adventure RPG thing you can just build custom workouts of mini games

 

As @Timbuktu says this isn't a substitute for a weight regime if you're looking to bulk up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it be good for losing weight - specifically brought on by eating crap and drinking too much lager?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not some magic bullet where 10mins of light moving on it offsets a night out on the beer and takeaways.

 

I can definitely see how it's an introduction getting me back into exercise after a long period of being sedentary - without the shame or ongoing expense of going to the gym.

 

It may not be enough in itself, but can see how it's something that will help get me back on a path of being moving and active again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been playing this for a couple of months and think it's great too.  

 

I do loads of cycling and walking, so being made to do different exercises has been good for me, and I've definitely noticed an improvement.  My biggest issue is that the plank has been added as a move now and it absolutely destroys me!

 

Also bought Fitness Boxing in the recent sale and enjoying that as well - tend to use that early morning for a quick 15/20 workout, then Ring Fit for a longer 40 min ish session at the weekend.

 

Oh, and some of the mini games are great and my kids love them.  I can't beat some of my 6 year olds scores in some of them!

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Would it be good for losing weight - specifically brought on by eating crap and drinking too much lager?

 

I've lost about half a stone so far, though I imagine part of that is down to the way it encourages you to eat more fruit and veg. I'm making sure I do it for at least 15-20 minutes every day and I try to do some of the more energetic/difficult exercises (Bushtopher's absolutely right about the plank, it's a killer). But even after a really full-on session, the calories-burned total rarely comes in over 200. Worth noting, too, that the downtime between activity adds up - for 20 minutes of exercise you'd probably need to free up 45 minutes of time, including stretches and whatnot. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

Also bought Fitness Boxing in the recent sale and enjoying that as well - tend to use that early morning for a quick 15/20 workout, then Ring Fit for a longer 40 min ish session at the weekend.

 

A bit annoyed I didn't buy this in the sale but I was just skint and had just got MK8 for the kids despite that.

Can't pay 40 quid for it that's for sure, so I'll have to wait till next sale time I guess, bugger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So awesome to see people in here loving this. They keep mentioning it over on Giant Bomb and that kicks me into getting into it again. 
 

My only issue so far is time — it just seems to take an age to do even 10 mins of ‘proper’ exercise time. Might move away from the RPG into the sets, but I do love the game-y potion making and stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tragic. I was going to pick this up this year as I was sure it'd be like Labo: hugely discounted because retailers want to shift the huge boxes taking up space. Oh dear!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been hit with manufacturing issues apparently. It's sold incredibly well (was number one last week in Japan), but the Coronavirus has affected both Switch production and this as well. Expect there to be shortages for the next couple of months. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've spoken to Nintendo's store chat, after seeing some online retailers listing as expecting more in April: 

 

Rob

Hi Craig, quick question. I can't seem to find Ring Fit Adventure anywhere, do you have public information about whether more stock is due? I see one or two online retailers have listed stock as expected in April, but, y'know...

 

Craig

We don't have any confirmed dates for when we will have this sadly. Once it has been confirmed by our production facility we will add this to our website product page for the item.

 

Rob

Understood. Presumably no confirmation that more are coming, is that right?

 

Craig

We have been advised that more units are being produced, it's just a matter of waiting for our production facility to confirm when they will be ready

 

Rob

Thanks Craig. A/S/L?

 

 

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mdn2 said:

It's been hit with manufacturing issues apparently. It's sold incredibly well (was number one last week in Japan), but the Coronavirus has affected both Switch production and this as well. Expect there to be shortages for the next couple of months. 

 

It's not just production issues. Seemingly thousands upon thousands of people on the Chinese mainland opted to pick this up to keep them active during the city lockdowns, so all the usual sources in Japan and HK got their stock absolutely ransacked by importers. Can imagine Nintendo wanting to replenish stock in Asia before anywhere else in the near future. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Nequests said:

 

It's not just production issues. Seemingly thousands upon thousands of people on the Chinese mainland opted to pick this up to keep them active during the city lockdowns, so all the usual sources in Japan and HK got their stock absolutely ransacked by importers. Can imagine Nintendo wanting to replenish stock in Asia before anywhere else in the near future. 

 

 

 

You could create a great conspiracy theory around that!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone with kids decided that this is the perfect thing to replace their PE/Games lessons? My son is going to be doing this, he's got an hour set aside on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday when he would normally be doing his games lessons.

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My husband and I (both teachers) have been playing it every day since last week! Definitely helping to deal with the current situation. I'm thinking if we keep this up until we're back to work we'll be super buff? :eyebrows:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish you could find a copy of this at a reasonable price - as a diabetic who controls my diabetes through exercise and diet, I’ve been unable to get to the gym for the last month, and thought this might help with the cardio - but it seems to be out of stock everywhere and eBay prices are a bit silly as a result! 

  • Upvote 2
  • Empathy 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/10/2019 at 22:22, Alex W. said:

Playing the whack a mole game got me thinking you could do a really fun dance game with this. Or a tambourine game.

 

Or a Ouendan game.

 

:D

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/03/2020 at 16:56, jon_cybernet said:

Wish you could find a copy of this at a reasonable price - as a diabetic who controls my diabetes through exercise and diet, I’ve been unable to get to the gym for the last month, and thought this might help with the cardio - but it seems to be out of stock everywhere and eBay prices are a bit silly as a result! 

 

Have you tried Fitness Boxing? Has a free demo to give you a taste of what it's like but a 20-30 minutes session works my cardio quite well, especially when you unlock all of the ducks and blocks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Alex W. said:

 

:D

Just seen the Switch Direct - brilliant! 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Omizzay said:

Is this available anywhere online?

 

Nope and hasn't for weeks. Amazon occasionally has it to order with a month wait for delivery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/03/2020 at 16:42, Omizzay said:

Is this available anywhere online?

Just to let you know these have appeared on Smyths website for pre-order with shipping dates of early April. 

 

Get in before the scalpers!!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Gloomy Andy said:

Just to let you know these have appeared on Smyths website for pre-order with shipping dates of early April. 

 

Get in before the scalpers!!

 

Cheers for this. Kept going in and out of stock on the website halfway through checkout but kept refreshing the website and seemed to get there in the end, hope they can actually fulfil it now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.