Ring Fit Adventure - Super Cardio Bros

1 hour ago, Wistful said:

Cheers for the heads-up! Mine’s arriving on the 23rd of this month so not bad at all.

1 hour ago, DeciderVT said:

Mine was down for a May 7th delivery but I got an e-mail last night saying they've bumped my delivery date up to the 22nd of April.

Wahey!

Did my second workout this morning (think I'm starting at effort level 20) and got as far as the second boss. Did about 25 minuets and it felt good, not too hard but a good start to the day. Just going to ease myself in as I'm been pretty sedentary for about 5-6 weeks.

Feels good though. Need a mat though - think my downstairs neighbours may start hating me. Yoga mat? Or something better?

4 hours ago, Rob Rule said:

I think it'd be horrible to have regular Ring Fitting going on upstairs - some proper matting would help. 

I mean. They’re total dicks. But I don’t need to be one too. Reckon a yoga mat will be thick enough to deaden? Never had one so don’t know how thick they are. 

Also, I am using quiet mode. Some of the exercises are still a bit thinly though. 

Edit: thinly?? Thumpy I meant. Bloody phone

6 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Nailed it, thanks. 

Hoping it’s a decent bit of exercise. I used to walk everywhere and be on my feet all day at work. Slowly morphing into Jabba since all that went out the window.

It is. Especially if you knock the intensity up.

21 hours ago, Poet said:

I'm totally jealous of everyone who has this right now. That's all I have to say really.

That was me a few days ago.

Then I ordered it from Amazon France on Tuesday afternoon and it's due to be delivered by 9pm tonight. Cost me slightly less than the price Amazon sells it for.

I find that bit slightly misleading. It’s just basing it on your HR. So if you’ve done a course where the exercises are more yoga or strength based for example your HR is going to be low, whereas if you’ve done an excess of cardio based ones it’ll be higher. It’s not necessarily representative of the effort you’ve put in. Still the whole HR monitoring bit is impressive, and pretty accurate.

Also for anyone relatively fit you’re going to find it hard to really push your HR as there are constant breaks even during the courses.

Day 3 done, which has got me to the end of world 2. I thought the boss was going to beat me because I attacked the wrong enemy on one of the turns rather than failing the exercises, but I got over the line.

I understand that weight fluctuates through the day, and that you lose a lot of water weight when you start out, but I'm 5 lbs lighter than I was on Saturday. I'm counting that as a win.

I am now 5 whole days in (4 and a half, really, because on the first day I didn't do much, as I just wanted to try it out.) I've completed Worlds 1, 2 and 3, and the mini-boss (but not attempted Dragaux) on World 4.

Thoughts so far:

It provides a decent workout, for sure. I'm on difficulty 11 (out of 30, I think?) and as someone who was quite fit and definitely isn't now, I'm getting a good session.

Some of the mechanics are a little odd. My wife and I are both playing, but I'm the only one of us who plays "proper" games regularly. So I'm playing it more as a game, matching colours, using optimal attacks and so on, and sometimes therefore it feels like I get away with doing fewer exercises. Which is odd, although I guess I just make more progress providing I exercise for an amount of time.

For things where they have left/right differences (Warrior Pose, Bow Pulls) you always start on the left side. Which quite often means, because enemies die, that you do fewer right-side exercises. Dunno if it adds up over time, but it feels like it might.

The story stuff would be infuriating if I wasn't catching my breath. But I am, so thank God for that.

Some of the mini-games are actually fun!

Making smoothies because the boss enemies have huge health bars is dull and shouldn't exist. Just give me more enemies to fight or a longer health bar or something.

I'm really happy it turned up, I've done 27 mins of exercise (over about 45 mins of time) for the last two mornings, and feel significantly worked out.

I saw a tip on it about completing incomplete workouts afterward somewhere in the menu settings, to resolve that left/right imbalance. I didn’t really pay enough attention to it to see if it can do that without breaking out of the game and into the extras, which would be a bit faffy.

In the settings you can change an option to complete a set of repetitions even if an enemy is defeated half way through. 

It's pretty obvious if you go looking for it, I found it last night (but didn't turn it on, I did up my difficulty though as I'm an unfit wimp).

That was a new addition in the patch, I'm glad they put it in and it should probably be the default. I'd rather it alternated what side you started on instead though.

Don't bother with smoothies, use your heart recovery abilities instead. You burn a turn but it's more exercise.

I'm wavering between level 26 and level 30 depending on how I'm feeling on a particular day. Just keep turning it up until the end-of-course heart reading is more than "very light exercise".

On 19/04/2020 at 10:30, metallicfrodo said:

I find that bit slightly misleading. It’s just basing it on your HR. So if you’ve done a course where the exercises are more yoga or strength based for example your HR is going to be low, whereas if you’ve done an excess of cardio based ones it’ll be higher. It’s not necessarily representative of the effort you’ve put in. Still the whole HR monitoring bit is impressive, and pretty accurate.

Also for anyone relatively fit you’re going to find it hard to really push your HR as there are constant breaks even during the courses.

Yes, the HR is certainly accurate. Each time I give a reading I compare it to my watch and they're pretty much the same.

Also that HR is at rest obviously and if you're quite fit your HR will go down pretty quickly.

I'm on level 25 of (I think) 30. It feels like the main difference between levels is the damage your attacks do. So to defeat an enemy I have to do 30 squats to get the enemy health bar down by about 20%. The battles are LONG. 

3 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

For things where they have left/right differences (Warrior Pose, Bow Pulls) you always start on the left side. Which quite often means, because enemies die, that you do fewer right-side exercises.

As has been mentioned you can change how this is handled in the settings. Either finish early (the default), finish the exercise, or only finish the exercise if it's one that switches sides.

I switched it to finish every exercise and found it makes a big difference.

I got a HR of 110 and it still said light exercise so really not sure how it will ever go any higher. Bumped up to level 27 now and 30 mins of workout time which is getting me suitably worn out, but quite a few moves that do very little. Need some tougher ones like Overhead Press.

I'm finding the structure of warm-up and cooldowns really are helping me as it's something that I don't tend to do very well when going for a run, but here I am rewarded and so I do them. Clever touch.

I'm 2 days into this and finding it pretty hard! It certainly gives me that "post workout" feel that I used to get from exercising a million years ago when I used to get up early and do that. It's also pretty good with its "come on lad, you're 30... might want to sit down" intervals. I was done with today and dreading finishing world 2 when it chimed up with a nice "maybe call it there?"

Really looking forward to cracking on with it. Does it have an ending? Or is the idea to do it all again on higher difficulty etc?

It's interesting hearing what different people struggle with. I find Overhead Press so easy as to be almost pointless, it's what I choose when I want to get my breath back and I've not felt a burn from any of the arm/shoulder exercises so far. However the Chair Pose absolutely ruins me, my lower back and thighs start burning almost immediately and I can barely hold it even for 8 reps. My girlfriend is the exact opposite.