IGNORED

Children of Morta - Roguelite with a story

Flub

I played a demo of this on Sream but was put off by joystick drift and no way to adjust dead zone on the sticks.

But I gave it a second chance on gamepass and they've fixed it and I'm loving it. It scratches the same itch that RAD did a couple of months ago but it's much better. They've managed to make an impersonal rogue like that feels incredibly personal due to the family hooks (which reminded me a little of the old Amiga game Faery Tale Adventure, or at least how I imagined it in my head.)

If you have gamepass and love roguelikes you should download this asap.

I really enjoyed this; it pieces out the narrative between runs in the same way as Hades, meaning you're never too frustrated when you die, as you get to see more of what's happening in the family home.  The different characters all play very differently and you're encouraged to play as different characters on runs.  (Wait, is this Hades?)  The levelling up and meta-progression is a little slow, though.  (it takes a couple of runs with each character to actually be able to use your full suite of skills, which is a bit annoying in early runs).  

I'd definitely recommend trying it if you've got Game Pass.  If you can, play it in co-op; I imagine you'll get even more out of it.

Not as good as Hades, though.

• 1 year later...

I bought this for Switch recently and it's excellent. I've never played a Roguelike with a narrative before and it transforms the experience. The weakness of Rogue games are the feeling that you're chipping away endlessly at something so these interludes work brilliantly to keep engagement up, plus once you complete a section you can begin at the next stage. Added to this is the odd randomly generated trial or unlockable character.

But all this would be nothing without the minute to minute combat which is crisp and satisfying. A real Diablo addictive vibe.

It's beautiful to look at too.

It's a shame Hades has overshadowed it because Children of Morta deserves a lot more love.

Whenever I see this thread updated it always reminds me to check if the much delayed online co-op has been added. And it has, just last week! But only on PC, for now. Apparently an Xbox version is in the works though.

Agreed with your point about Hades too (which is also wonderful). This game really does deserve a lot more love.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, df0 said:

Played for half an hour, one major complaint so far: far too much narration. Big spooky evil, I get it. Now let me play.

I found it too dialogue driven at the beginning but as soon as you get past  a couple of bosses it gets a lot more enjoyable. Sticking with it was worth it for me, it did strike me as very rough in the beginning but it really does get better and better. 

I didn't massively rate this but it did quietly solve the problem of how to incentivise players to level up all the characters in a party in RPGs without resorting to shared experience points or allowing the player to funnel currency or other resources in to levelling up unused characters which always feels a bit artificial. Each character has unlockable benefits for the whole party that make thematic sense for the characters and the setting (and levelling up the characters pushes their individual story strands along to, which is an extra bonus).

Incredibly simple, but a beautiful bit of game design.

It was in this moment df0 let his annoyances show even more. Looking at the game icon df0 had to make a decision. Push on, or play another title for now.

This is fun. Still in the first area trying to clear the third zone. That last floor of the third zone is punishing, oof. Unlocked 5 characters now, fav by far is the fireball chucking wee child. Least fav is the rogue, that play style does not suit me at all.

I just wish I could go from zone to zone, I really - really - do not want to return to the hub after killing just one boss. Let me continue, I got a neat collection of relics. Let me play.

Starting to feel like @Flubin any MMO thread.

Still chipping away at the final floor (not even seen the boss there, the final stretch of that floor is very punishing), gathering skills and shared talents now and becoming as strong as one can get. Hopefully some time this weekend I can close this dungeon and move into the next one. Spending a lot of time with the monk now, seems very fun.

I strongly dislike the let's-return-to-the-hub approach. Leave me alone and let me play floor after floor.

Played some more. Killed boss in 4th dungeon + the story triggered boss. Liking it but not loving it, the story gets in the way of my enjoyment: just let me play. Why does the game insist on ending any dungeon when the boss of said dungeon is defeated. Why can't I just continue from dungeon 1 to dungeon 2 etc. The mandatory reset back to the hub is annoying, especially with all the short loading times. Result screen -> loading -> zoom in on hub -> select stairs -> brief cutscene -> select dungeon -> select zone -> select character -> loading screen - get to play.

Why not offer me at the end of a dungeon an option to run again?

Hi guys I know you’re so invested in my Morta adventures so I’m gonna start playing again soon. I’ll post about 5 updates explaining why I still like it and complain about the narration. No need to like and subscribe.

Cleared zone/area/dungeon (whatever it's called) 5. Grand zone, it was the first time where it scratched that ARPG/Rogue itch. Neat little collection of relics gave me a boost in speed, orbiting fire balls, health regen etc and with 4 floors big enough to make it all click. Good stuff.

I personally found that once I'd defeated a boss I was happy to go back to the hub, regroup and have a rest. The runs getting to the bosses were about 30 minutes plus anyway.

I totally agree about the load times though. Annoying, but not game breaking.

Nearing the end of the story and truth be told I lack the motivation to continue. For all my complaints about the narration I actually really like the surprisingly dark story. The art style and animation is gorgeous (the "choppy" animation reminds me a lot of Moonstone)... it's just the gameplay loop that fails to impress me any longer.

It's a very lite roguelite.

Play style is linked to a character and once that's set in stone I can tell you exactly what and how the build is going to be which results in the same loop over and over. There's no exciting power ups, discoveries or surprises. I ran dozens of runs with the wee mage and every run felt the same. Exact same issue with the archer, the monk etc.

I think I still like it, but I've a difficult time recommending this to anyone when there's better games in the genre out there.

Finally got round to playing this and finding it charming, after flying through Elex this is very much a comfort game. First boss was way tougher than the rest and it didn't feel like a test either, just a numbers game of can i kill the adds fast enough to not get overwhelmed

definitely enjoying it but i can see where folks would burn out. the narration however is a definite upside for me, doesn't overstay it's welcome and tells the story well