IGNORED

Lonely Mountains: Downhill - The best mountain bike game

BeeJay

As much as I like Lonely Mountain I found I enjoyed Descenders a lot more.

With Descenders you get such a feeling of speed, nothing like barrelling down one of the bike park hills at a hundred miles an hour and being launched into space when you hit a tree. Accompanied by some great tunes.

• 9 months later...

Downloaded this yesterday. What a lovely game. Gets tricky fast but the checkpointing takes away any stress, besides most of the crashes never feel unfair. The checkpoints really help the risk reward of the shortcuts too.

First game I’ve played in a while that’s had that Tony Hawk-style moreish gameplay loop. Can see it being similar in it’s perfect for short bursts but also stands up to longer sessions. And it looks and feels splendid.

Really impressed :)

Haha, can see why, it’s a glorious game.

Got 1:48 on the first trail… with 55 crashes :lol:

Do love the checkpointing system, and your times being broken into segments, rather than cumulative. Mind you, getting down the mountains without crashing is stressful. But skidding off a bend feels so rad I half expect Matt Hoffman to pop round to offer a high five.

Love how polished it all feels. Wonderful stuff.

10 hours ago, glb said:

Do love the checkpointing system, and your times being broken into segments, rather than cumulative. Mind you, getting down the mountains without crashing is stressful. But skidding off a bend feels so rad I half expect Matt Hoffman to pop round to offer a high five.

It is, but with practice it feels oh so satisfying when you complete a flawless run. Not typically my type of game at all but 100%'d this one because it was such a chill game with a nice feel to it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Was close to tapping out on this. I love it, think it feels buttery smooth to play, but thought I was at the limit of my abilities… then I unlocked a new bike!

Now I’m HOONING around on the Trailblazer, unleashing some skill with a fair sprinkling of luck, and the game is glorious again. Unlocked the third mountain now, and have enough parts for some of the other bikes albeit I’m wondering whether to collect one more part and unlock Geronimo, which looks like a beast.

Brilliant game :wub:

• 4 weeks later...

I second all the praise for this - took a little while to get used the handling but then it's great, the back-end-out skidding works really well and I just unlocked the second bike and it feels radically different (and is a lot tighter to control, especially downhill). Art style of the sort of impressionistically shaded trails is growing on me as well, and the rider's animations changing speeds are expressive. Nice variety of raw speed/go carefully challenges as well. It's good!