rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
denisb

Going to cinema alone

Anybody here go alone ? Really want to see joker my mate I was supposed to go with yesterday flaked again and my other cinema buddy doesn't want to see it . I'll likely be the only one there just feel a bit weird 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

It’s perfectly fine :lol:

I’ve been on my own a few times. I don’t really get the whole ‘cinema-going is a social experience’ anyway, as you don’t talk to each other during the film.

• Upvote 8

There will definitely be other loners there, looooool

Seriously though, definitely go. Nobody cares (unless you go to a pixar movie and take your willy out). You'd happily sit in the house and watch a film on your own, a cinema is no different.

• Upvote 2

I dont mind going alone, especially now Vue's prices are pretty reasonable and we have one thats about 30 minutes walk from my house. I saw The Force Awakens on opening weekend on my own (I went to a late night showing), though that was at a Cineworld that I had to get a taxi to (though I then walked home, which took me an hour), but more recently I saw an anniversary showing of The Matrix at the aforementioned Vue on my own.

Mind you, I'm a bit of a billy no mates and my OH finds leaving the house mentally and physically exhausting since her cancer diagnosis last year. I did manage to get her to go see Joker with me though.

• Upvote 6

Nearly always.

I really don't see why it's perceived as weird to go to the cinema alone. It's not like it's an activity where you should be interacting with each other during the film, except maybe glancing at each other to see if they reacted the same way as you. And afterwards, whenever I go with someone, I don't want to talk about the film on the walk/bus home because I don't want either of us to do a Homer Simpson and blurt out a spoiler that people could overhear!

For me the main benefit is that there's more flexibility of choosing when to go. If I want to go to the cheaper daytime showings, I don't have to hope that a friend can get that same day off work.

Don't have to worry about whether they'll get to the meet-up point on time either.

The only times I'm self-conscious about going alone is if it's an animated kids' movie. It's one thing if it's Pixar or something older-skewing like How to Train Your Dragon or Into the Spider-Verse; but another if it's the new Shaun the Sheep sequel...

• Upvote 3

I'll go it's the early evening showing . I don't want to miss it at the cinema and my mates let me down twice already .

I'm used to doing things alone since my oh passed away . When I was younger I used to go alone to films she wouldn't watch or mates didn't want to but that was an indie filled with other nerds 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

I like going alone to early showings when it's nearly empty.

I finally unlocked the "be the only one in a cinema watching a film" achievement yesterday.

I've been in a screening with just me and my kids, but yesterday the early showing of Judy was empty.

I go on my own loads and loads at the moment - Cineworld unlimited card + day off in the week and I'm going at least once, and if time allows around school run, twice in the middle of the day.

My main cinema buddies are either in the same boat and go on their own when they have a window or its too late to go and see a long film once the kids have gone to bed, all the crap the the following day has been done.

• Upvote 3

As others have said, there’s no problem going alone.

Even if it was problem you’re going to be sat in the dark and other people’s attention certainly isn’t going to be on you. And if it was they’re strangers so who cares. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I like going alone to early showings when it's nearly empty.

it’s a tiny 3 screen cinema the omega man has 2 seats  booked .

Joker is unallocated so I assume they expect it to be empty ?

ive been meaning to try for ages but keep making excuses .

my mates work and have kids etc so I understand it’s difficult for them .

I am alone just me and my dog and have every afternoon free now I’ve finished renovating my house so a trip to the cinema would be great  

1 minute ago, womblingfree said:

Going to the cinema on a working weekday by yourself and sitting in a virtually deserted auditorium with a hot dog is one of lifes greatest pleasures.

no hot dog but I’ll have a box of cracks and a drink 

I've lost count of the amount of times I've just gone to the cinema on my own because I fancied seeing a film again (and again and again...) or a new one that no-one else fancies. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah there has been times i've been put off going on my own, but honestly i don't care nowadays and would happily go alone. I saw a couple movies this year alone that no one i knew wanted to see, it was fine..

I've gone quite a few times when the girls go shopping, drop them off at the shopping centre and go watch a film.

On some occassions I can even manage two films before they have finished.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, matt0 said:

About 15 years ago Hyde Park Picture House in Leeds were showing Buster Keaton's the general with live piano accompaniment as part of Leeds Film Festival. I asked around my friends to see if anyone wanted to go, but nobody did as it was Friday evening so I resolved to just go by myself and catch up with everyone else in town later.

There weren't any cash points between my house and the cinema but I had loads of change on me which at a glance would have been enough for a ticket at the Hyde Park so off I went. When I got to the front of the queue outside the cinema the girl at the box office told me tickets were £9 on account of the live piano accompaniment. I started to count out my change but realised pretty quickly I only had 5 pound coins and a shit load of shrapnel. I could've gone over the road and got cash back on a pack of chewing gum at the One Stop but I thought, fuck it, I'm sure I've got enough. After 30 seconds the ticket girl asked me to stand to one side while I counted. Which I did, counting out my money down to the 1 and 2p's as every last person in the queue filed past the man who was apparently counting out pennies on a Friday evening in a desperate bid to get in to see Buster Keaton's the general.

Eventually I had to turn shamefacedly to the ticket girl and ask if I could come in for £8.63 which she said was fine with a look on her face that suggested that it was not fine.

lol this reminds me of Japan, i had loads of 1 and 5 yen coins, the train ticket machines wouldn’t accept them and i didn’t think i could exchange them when i got back home, so it was only food where i could use them. They have these 75 yen lollies...after the second time of dropping 55 coins for the off licence shop assistant to count the anxiety of doing it had subsided and they would just see a grinning moron staring back at them. Actually one time they just dropped the coins into a coin measure thingey which..impressed me.

On topic..if you have to wait for someone else in order to do something you’d never do anything. 

• Upvote 1

Sis works at the cinema and she says its perfectly normal and you see a few people walk in by themselves at the beginning. Staff won't judge you or care, they're too busy bitching about co-workers or findings thing to kill boredom. The only time they would be if you're a rude and difficult.

I’ve done it before - once the lights go out and the film is running it’s not like you should be talking to anyone anyway, so no different to being on your own.

1 hour ago, Fitzcarraldo said:

Baffled people still think twice about going alone. Just do it. No one in the cinema cares about how many friends you have.

I went by myself to watch Captain America and literally got a “What, just one?” Response from the staff member! 

15 minutes ago, LeighCb said:

Nothing beats a bag of cans and a Greggs at the cinema on a nice quiet afternoon.  

Not sure if this is serious or not but a friend of mine went through a a real Oscar Wilde phase in his early adulthood and would take to empty cinema screenings a bottle of whiskey to drink neat and some cigars to puff on (possibly simultaneously), with an empty bottle to piss in. 

An old couple once sat next to him and, needless to say, we’re appalled. He just shot them a cocked look and growled “What are ye looking at?!” :lol:

I enjoy a drink at the movies but the bathroom breaks they necessitate are indeed an annoyance. 

Love going on my own, especially as out here I often wind up in screens on my tod, as happened with Zombieland: Double Tap yesterday. Combo of being off work, far too many cinemas for them to ever be constantly busy and plenty of daytime screenings. Most atmospheric time was when watching A Quiet Place... that film is extra tense in a cavernous and empty cinema.

Even when there's only a handful of people though, such as earlier screenings on the weekend, going on my own means I can get in for the trailers, not have to worry about the film choice and just escape for a couple of hours. Going to the cinema solo is a glorious thing.

• Upvote 2

No problem with going to the cinema on my own, done it a good few times. Same with travelling, I feel if you want to do something you should be prepared to do it alone. I'd never have done half the things I look back on fondly if I had to wait for someone else to join me. 

Went to see Wolf of Wall Street alone at a silver screening around midday on a workday. Most of the audience were elderly couples. A significant proportion had walked out 10 minutes into the film.