Going to cinema alone

5 minutes ago, Eric86 said:

Went to see Wolf of Wall Street alone at a silver screening around midday on a workday. Most of the audience were elderly couples.

This is what silver screenings are for, isn't it?

• Upvote 1

When I went to see The Indian in the cupboard with my mum in 95/96ish, a man sat down next to us who was on his own. I thought nothing of it, as I was more focused on my extremely decadent ice cream tub. Haagen-Dazs, hot fudge sauce, chopped nuts, sprinkles, it was quite a piece of work. The lone man sat down next to us and sat in silence throughout the trailers. I completely forgot he was there and all was well. Then, just as the film was starting, he leaned over and whispered "is that yours?" pointing to my ice cream. I told him that it was. He then proceeded to stick his finger right into the ice cream, take out a sizeable scoop and nom it down. I was so unbelievably stunned that I didn't do anything. I quietly abandoned my ice cream and only told my mum in the car on the way home.

Try and avoid doing that and you'll be fine.

• Upvote 8
22 hours ago, denisb said:

Anybody here go alone ? Really want to see joker my mate I was supposed to go with yesterday flaked again and my other cinema buddy doesn't want to see it . I'll likely be the only one there just feel a bit weird 

I went to the cinema alone for the first time last week....and I went to see Joker :)

Yep I work most weekends so often go on my own to midweek screenings.  Managed a couple of times (Last being Once Upon A Time In Hollywood) to be the only person in the room and it is a great way to watch a film.  Nobody dicking about, talking, rustling popcorn, standing up for toilet, or phones going off to ruin the experience.

I only started going to the cinema alone recently and same as mentioned here, I don't find it weird at all. No distractions and no pestering from others. I lived in Paris for a short while and it helped pass the time when I was there. Now, there's a Vue a stone's throw away from work and a bunch of decent films came out recently, I've wandered along and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Yeah, I go often on my own.  Usually on a Sunday morning, it pretty much guarantees there’ll be maybe 5 people in the screening and everyone there is there to see it.  Every time I go when it’s busier I’m amazed how many people go to the cinema to have a conversation or to look at their phones.

I remember going to see Mother! on my own at around 10am in a completely empty cinema. That was quite the experience.

I remember being so anxious the first couple of times I went to the cinema on my own but I think once you get over that initial hurdle you stop caring really. And I don't think anything when I see someone else sit down in the cinema on their own. 

I never do because I can’t ever afford the time, but the other week my brother in law texted to ask if anyone wanted to go see Joker at the iMax before it was released, so off I went and I enjoyed it tremendously. The thing I like most is to be left alone with the buzzing comedown feeling after a movie. You know like after Batman or Rocky or something, you don’t need to be straight away analysing in words to someone else. I love being left alone in that little fantasy space.

• Upvote 3

I used to all the time, pretty much every week for two years back when I was at college as I finished at 12 on Fridays and it was only a 15 minute walk to the cinema. 

It was great as it was usually mostly empty and the few people that were also there, were there for the film. 

The girlfriend goes to bed fairly early so I can usually enjoy a late (post 9pm) screening on a weekday on my own if I want to see a film.

We can get home from work, have some dinner together and then I can see a film broadly in the evening time she'd be asleep anyway. Works well and feels like I've had an evening at home and also seen a film. Often go with her as well if it is a film she wants to see but happy to go on my own if she doesn't. Can't be arsed to organise seeing films with friends though. These days, with various friends having kids, living in different areas etc. if I'm seeing a friend I want to catch up, not sit in silence for two hours. Cinemas/films are practically made for going by yourself. 

Could be a London thing though. Everyone living in different areas makes going to the cinema together more difficult to organise than if you're in a more civilised sized town or city and there's only a couple of cinema choices anyway. 

Don't think it is weird going on your own, never had any problems at all. Probably something you need to do once and then you'll wonder why it was ever even a potential problem. Plus going on your own means you can perfectly time it to miss the bullshit before the film starts and then ensure you're sitting in the best seats (away from any people who look like talkers...). 

On 24/10/2019 at 14:31, Ork1927 said:

I finally unlocked the "be the only one in a cinema watching a film" achievement yesterday.

I've done that loads of times, especially when I was younger and would take flexi-leave to see an afternoon mid-week showing back in the 90s. 

The gold achievement is to be the only person in the screening and then fall asleep. I missed almost all of Dark City getting that one. :D

I've always gone to the cinema alone on the multiple occasions where my wife / kids / mates didn't want to see a film. In fact, I'm on my way home from a Billy-no-mates viewing of Terminator: Dark Fate as I type this.

• Upvote 1

I've got an Odeon Unlimited pass, so often go to the cinema on my own if I can get out of work early. My preferred slot is a 3.10-3.30 showing of a 15+ film. Ideally a Thursday. And that the film has been out for over a week. The time slot is too early for school children, too early for most workers and the OAPs tend to love the earlier times. As such, I often end up in the cinema on my own. Great for most movies, although horror movies can either be improved by this or become a bit too intense.

Have mentioned this previously, but I went to see Event Horizon with my girlfriend (now-wife) on the biggest screen in Leicester Square. It was a matinee showing in the week and we were the only people in this vast cathedral of a cinema screen. The emptiness of the screening helped to feed our uneasiness which was compounded by the scares on screen. With about 10 minutes to go, she was clutching hold of my arm. This wasn’t helped by a voice from behind us asking us how we were finding the film at a quiet moment. One of the staff had crept in and as soon as we heard his question, we both screamed. It was at that point, she worked out I was never going to be an alpha male. 

• Upvote 1

I find if I'm going to a artsy film at the local indie or whatever, a decent number of the punters are usually there solo. I'm sure the cinema are happy for the custom! I don't think I'd be willing to go to a multiplex or whatever to watch some blockbuster on my own though, at least not for the first couple of weeks. That may have more to do with not wanting to deal with people on their phones, or talking loudly or whatever though. I live dead near a Vue - five minutes cycling to the shopping centre's car park, and then another five minutes walk inside to the cinema - and go to late screenings a lot. They charge you to book online, the gits, but I'm not waiting till I'm there and finding out there's no decent seats left. There is an indie just as close, in terms of time from leaving my house to being sat in front of the screen, but locking up is a lot more awkward, so I don't go there nearly as often. They show films the Vue don't sometimes though, plus it's just nicer - the seats are ridiculously spacious and comfy for instance.  I should go more often tbh.

Used to go alone for a while but missed that bit at the end where you walk out and talk about the film.

Most interesting solo cinema experience was in 2014, went to see X-Men Days Of Future Past at the local arts centre. It was literally just me and a man with a carrier bag full of alcohol. I was rapt, the film was loud, so when it ended and they turned the credits sound down I could hear this loud snoring. The guy had basically drank all his drink and was sound asleep a few seats away.